PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Paul Recalled, Redmond to AAA

reds44
07-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Well they called up Xavier Paul, he definitely deserves it; dude been banging all year long. Gotta keep pushing!!!

https://twitter.com/22DSGB

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Xavier Paul - killing it at AAA for both Reds and Nationals but in three major league years his best OBP was .313 and never topped .300 again. Does hit lefty and has been destroying AAA pitching so maybe he's found a switch or the Reds can tap him in a hot streak anyway.

powersackers
07-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Dusty was quoted tonight as saying a bat was "in the works". XP deserves it and he's a lefty!

lollipopcurve
07-18-2012, 07:11 AM
He deserves it for as well as he's hit in AAA.

RedFanAlways1966
07-18-2012, 07:17 AM
These "killing AAA" comments bring back bad memories of a college world series hero from LSU. ;)

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/68455/4a3261063de73_68455n.jpg

redsmetz
07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
How long has the 40 man roster been at 39 players? I heard that yesterday and was surprised. Did we just clear that spot when Willie Harris last went back down and just didn't fill it? I know that the Janish and Redmond trade was just a straight swap of a slot.

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 09:34 AM
How long has the 40 man roster been at 39 players? I heard that yesterday and was surprised. Did we just clear that spot when Willie Harris last went back down and just didn't fill it? I know that the Janish and Redmond trade was just a straight swap of a slot.

Yes. Harris is out of options, so the only way to sent him to the minors is to remove him from the 40-man roster and send him outright to Louisville.

Kc61
07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Would have preferred an infielder. This means third and first base is a rotation of Rolen, Frazier and Cairo.

A lefty hitting infielder would have more opportunities to start, spelling Rolen at third.

An outfielder probably will be strictly a bench guy with few if any starts.

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Would have preferred an infielder. This means third and first base is a rotation of Rolen, Frazier and Cairo.

A lefty hitting infielder would have more opportunities to start, spelling Rolen at third.

An outfielder probably will be strictly a bench guy with few if any starts.

Yes, I would have preferred HRod

WildcatFan
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, I would have preferred HRod

Me too, and talk about banging. Also Navarro could have played some first base, and he's arguably the best position player on the Bats this year.

IslandRed
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm okay with it because it's a more balanced roster. Frazier is going to be locked into the infield while Votto's out, so that left us with only four outfielders, and Cairo's already around to back up the infield corners. If Rolen goes on the DL again and we need someone to play a lot, then give me Rodriguez. But for now, it's a mostly pinch-hitting role, Paul will do.

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
When I see this name I keep thinking its a name for a Big Band leader.
The Reds desparately need a good lefty bat off the bench. Hopefully he can fulfill that role.

Redsfan320
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I keep confusing this guy for Xavier Nady. Time and time again. For example, I thought he could play 1st. Nope, but Nady can.

LincolnparkRed
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I think Nady is warming the bench for the D-backs these days

Redsfan320
07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I think Nady is warming the bench for the D-backs these days

Nah, that was last year. On the Nats bench this season, with this painful line: .157/.211/.275/.486

OldXOhio
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Somebody actually follows Willie Harris on Twitter?

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 11:16 AM
So for the second day in a row we play America's favorite game show, "Guess The New Guy's Number!"

Available numbers under 60 are: 7, 16, 26, & 56.

I'm going to go with 26.

Redsfan320
07-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I'll guess #7. Its hard to explain, but some guys feel like even-number guys to me, and some like odd- number guys. Paul feels odd.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-18-2012, 11:20 AM
The Bad: .629 OPS in 411 Major League PA's.
The Good: .890 OPS in 1148 AAA PA's (2008-2012).

Somewhere in the middle would be huge.

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, it's hard to argue that he's not the best option.

Like him better than Redmond, Harris, Constanzo, or Casey :laugh:

Tom Servo
07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
The Bad: .629 OPS in 411 Major League PA's.
The Good: .890 OPS in 1148 AAA PA's (2008-2012).

Somewhere in the middle would be huge.
I definitely think his real talent lies somewhere in the middle. Not as good as his AAA stats, not as bad as his MLB stats.

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Well I hope he's at least somewhere in the middle because the need for a LH option is startling. Last night was the first time in 7 years in the entire major leagues a team sent an all righthanded lineup to the plate against a right handed starter. Last time was in 2005. If that doesn't tell you how badly imbalanced this team is nothing will.

I'd sure love Paul to start off hot as heck and wait until after three or 4 weeks to start regressing.....

Plus Plus
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
‪#Reds‬ today have selected the contract from Louisville OF Xavier Paul (#26) and have optioned to Louisville RHP Todd Redmond.

https://twitter.com/Jamieblog/status/225676139019001856

reds44
07-18-2012, 03:42 PM
It's official.

Brutus
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
https://twitter.com/Jamieblog/status/225676139019001856

I hope for Redmond's sake that one day of service isn't going to wind up like Moonlight Graham.

Kc61
07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I hope for Redmond's sake that one day of service isn't going to wind up like Moonlight Graham.

Moonlight was probably before September call ups.

Brutus
07-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Moonlight was probably before September call ups.

True that.

Of course, there's always the possibility for one reason or another, Redmond doesn't survive the 40-man roster until September lol

mth123
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
So, for those like Chico, Klu and Woy who keep track of such historical things, is Paul already the best player to play for the Reds whose name begins with X?

Seriously, I think this was the best choice. He can run, play all 3 OF spots acceptably (but he's not great in CF) and hits lefty. He also has the best chance to actually hit IMO. I'd like to see him get a start or 2 in CF against a RHP.

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
So, for those like Chico, Klu and Woy who keep track of such historical things, is Paul already the best player to play for the Reds whose name begins with X?

Seriously, I think this was the best choice. He can run, play all 3 OF spots acceptably (but he's not great in CF) and hits lefty. He also has the best chance to actually hit IMO. I'd like to see him get a start or 2 in CF against a RHP.

Not yet. He has to beat out Xavier Hernandez.

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Well in his first appearance he proves he fits in - he hit the first pitch for a pop fly out

WVRedsFan
07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
And looking at his three year stats, he's a low OBP guy with no power. Good grief.

_Sir_Charles_
07-19-2012, 09:05 AM
And looking at his three year stats, he's a low OBP guy with no power. Good grief.

I think people were looking at the improvement he's made this year in terms of OBP. Just guessing.

RedlegJake
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
People are hoping his AAA stats are reflective of some improvement in his game, I think. Historically Paul is not a very good ML hitter or OBP guy. Hey, he is a lefty though.

DGullett35
07-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing him get some starts and batting leadoff. looks like he can take a walk:)

mth123
07-25-2012, 02:42 AM
So, in one game, Paul has already done more than token lefty 25th men Mike Costanzo and Willie Harris combined this season. Paul is a long shot to be successful at this point, but I always was intrigued by his potential when he was coming up with LA. A lefty bat who isn't a complete waste who can play defense and run, I'd say the Reds need to consider hanging on to him when Votto returns. That may mean a phantom DL stint for Miguel Cairo.

Of course, if the Reds could pick up a Kotsay or some one of that ilk, Paul may need to go anyway.

Redsfan320
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Really nice game by Paul last night. I want to see another start. In CF. Not LF. Luddy's hot. Dusty needs to get over the Stubbs love.

hebroncougar
07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Really nice game by Paul last night. I want to see another start. In CF. Not LF. Luddy's hot. Dusty needs to get over the Stubbs love.

I'd say Stubbs can start again. Let's use Paul for what he is, LH bat off the bench, and an occasional start.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

medford
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Can he play 1b? Obviously Rolen needs time off, I feel like he's destined for more shoulder injury unless Dusty limits his playing time much more than he currently is (though Votto's injury may play a role in what his post all star break plan was)

It would be a shame if he couldn't. Just seems that guys like Ludwick and especially Paul should have taken some practice at 1b sometime along the way during their struggles. Would be nice to have the option of using Frasier at 3b when Rolen sits and not automatically having to turn to Cairo.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-25-2012, 01:09 PM

While I agree with you, the Reds don't win last night without Stubbs.

Big Klu
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Can he play 1b? Obviously Rolen needs time off, I feel like he's destined for more shoulder injury unless Dusty limits his playing time much more than he currently is (though Votto's injury may play a role in what his post all star break plan was)

It would be a shame if he couldn't. Just seems that guys like Ludwick and especially Paul should have taken some practice at 1b sometime along the way during their struggles. Would be nice to have the option of using Frasier at 3b when Rolen sits and not automatically having to turn to Cairo.

I doubt it. Xavier is only 5'9". You don't see players that short playing 1B in MLB.

DGullett35
07-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Paul has played a part in the last 2 wins. When Joey come back Id like for Paul to stay. Has some speed and swings a decent bat. Nice role player to have. Hes certainly earning his paychecks right now. I also wouldnt mind Dusty trying him in the leadoff spot.

WVRedsFan
07-26-2012, 01:13 AM
He may be the lead off hitter we need. Or maybe not. So far I am impressed.

WVRedsFan
07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
So, in one game, Paul has already done more than token lefty 25th men Mike Costanzo and Willie Harris combined this season. Paul is a long shot to be successful at this point, but I always was intrigued by his potential when he was coming up with LA. A lefty bat who isn't a complete waste who can play defense and run, I'd say the Reds need to consider hanging on to him when Votto returns. That may mean a phantom DL stint for Miguel Cairo.

Of course, if the Reds could pick up a Kotsay or some one of that ilk, Paul may need to go anyway.

Heisey? Nah.

marcshoe
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds dfa Cairo when a trade is made or Votto comes back. You need Valdez, who has been playing okay lately, as an MI backup, and Paul az a lefty bat on the bench. It even seems that Dusty has given up on Cairo.

CySeymour
07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds dfa Cairo when a trade is made or Bottom comes back. You need Valdez, who has been playing okay lately, as an MI backup, and Paul az a lefty bat on the bench. It even seems that Dusty has given up on Cairo.

Frazier essentially makes Cairo redundant. Plus Todd can play the outfield if needed.

However, does anyone else think Cairo may have a future in the organization as a coach?

marcshoe
07-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Btw, I officially hate autocorrect, which changed Votto to bottom.

Vottomatic
07-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, I take back everything bad I said about Paul after taking the time on baseball-reference.com reviewing his minor and major league career.

He hasn't done much in the majors, but nor has he been a total flop. And if you say he's been a flop, then what does that make Drew Stubbs?

His minor league numbers show he has nothing left to prove in the minors. He improved every year and has played in triple A for various clubs going back to 2008 and has batted over .300 in every year in triple A since 2008. Oddly his high OBP in his triple A career has not translated over to the majors yet.

I'm not saying the guy is starter material. But considering some of the fluff we've had coming off the bench, and based on a successful short sample so far, this guy is atleast worthy of being the 4th outfielder.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few shots hitting leadoff. Considering how poorly things have gone for the Reds all season at the top of the order, I see no harm.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
If he can play CF passably, sure. Let him hit leadoff.

Has he played CF for Cincinnati yet?

How long has it been since he's been there?

Otherswise, you're sitting your second- or third-best hitter.

Tom Servo
07-28-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd definitely let him get some starts against righties. But we're facing all lefties in Colorado.

WVRedsFan
07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Btw, I officially hate autocorrect, which changed Votto to bottom.iPad? I fully understand.

WVRedsFan
07-28-2012, 03:21 PM
And looking at his three year stats, he's a low OBP guy with no power. Good grief. I'm an idiot. You-all knew that anyway.

He may fall on his face after some time, but I mentioned this in the game thread last night. He looks like he might be a good platoon with Drew in center and hit leadoff. That is, if we don't make an aquisition, which I doubt right now.

dougdirt
07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Btw, I officially hate autocorrect, which changed Votto to bottom.

That only has to happen once.... you need to add Votto to your dictionary.

RedlegJake
07-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Paul has sure made me happy so far. His first couple ABs I wasn't too impressed but since then he's been really getting the job done. Certainly worth holding onto as the left handed bat on the bench if nothing else. I wouldn't mind platooning him either if he can play CF - anyone check to see if he had CF on his positions played on Baseball-ref? I just checked - he has played center field but only 106 innings in the majors