PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Diving for 1B Help

Scrap Irony
07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Possible 1B Help—AL Division
Eric Chavez, Yankees
Plus: Can play both IF corners. Hitting well this season. Left-hander, with plus obp and power.
Negative: Back makes him iffy to count on over the course of many starts in a row.
Cost: C, RP

Russell Branyan, Yankees
Plus: LH slugger has a history of getting hot and carrying a team for a few weeks at the major league level. Major power.
Negative: He’s struck out about 5 million times and has a balky back.
Cost: Flotsam

Steve Pearce, Orioles
Plus: The former Pirate farmhand has power and a batting eye. He’s got a history of solid minor league play and doesn’t K too much. Very good obp as well. Career .294/ /371/ .523 minor league numbers. Pinch hitting and playing 1B for Baltimore right now, putting up league average numbers. RH.
Negative: Problem is, those are minor league numbers. He’s untested.

Mark Reynolds, Orioles
Plus: RH can play both corner IF spots. Good patience. Ideal Redszone lightning rod. Great power.
Negative: With great power comes great big numbers of Ks. He’s on the wrong side of a platoon as well. Not to mention the $7.5 million price tag.
Cost: Young pitching of all kinds.

Chris Davis, Orioles
Plus: LH can play both corner IF spots. Still relatively young, at 26. Good power
Negative: Don’t count on him hitting more than .250 or obp’ing more than .310.
Cost: Young pitching.

Lars Anderson, Red Sox
Plus: Young, at 24, with a prospect’s pedigree. LH displays a Sean Casey-like bat, with little power, but good obp. Lots of doubles. Could also play LF in a pinch.
Negative: Lack of BA in minors spells doom for many ‘tweeners. Because of prospect status, may be cost-prohibitive.
Cost: Relief pitching, young SP.

Adam Lind, Blue Jays
Plus: Veteran with power, history of starting. Can play LF as well. Very good HR power.
Negative: three-year history of below average production at an offensive position. Hasn’t shown ability to hit for average at all.

Dan Johnson, White Sox
Plus: Has a minor league history of flat-out murdering the ball. When given consistent PT, he’s produced above league average production.
Negative: Lack of BA. Age.

Brad Eldred, Tigers
Plus: Yeah, he’s 31, but he’s been mashing the minors for a decade now. Career OPS close to .900.
Negative: He’s 31.

Matt LaPorta, Indians
Plus: Has a history as a starting 1B. Still only 27. Decent league average stop gap.
Negative: Hasn’t been good in the majors since…well, since his last minor league stint four years ago.
Cost” Flotsam

Clint Robinson, Royals
Plus: His minor league career has proven he can hit. A ton. A metric ton, in fact. Tons of patience. Vey good power. Good eye, hitting tool.
Negative: Still in the minors. Unproven.
Cost: Starting pitching.

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I prefer Todd Frazier over all of those options.

Far East
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Branyon's 2012 AAA line: .309 /.438/.655/1.093

His DNA might fit in GAB.

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I prefer Todd Frazier over all of those options.

Me too. Unless Frazier turns really bad, really fast I don't expect the Reds will have to dumpster dive at all.

RedsManRick
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
In 2010 & 2011, Miguel Cairo put up a .275/.340/.410 line over 500 PA, good for ~3 wins. At 1B the win total would be less, but I'll take Cairo & Frazier over the list above.

For those who would say that Cairo has stunk this year, I'd draw your attention to his crazy low LD% and BABIP. Yes, he's been bad. But the sample is so small there's no reason to believe it's a real change in his ability to hit -- just a slump.

Dionner Navarro is interesting. He's been horrible in the majors the last few years, but he's also had very low BABIP. It's sort of a Paul Janish issue. Does the guy just hit for so little power and have so little speed that his true talent BABIP is significantly lower than average?

M2
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I was emailing with chili the other day and he suggested Lyle Overbay. I like that idea. He shouldn't cost much in terms of trade and he'd be a good LH PH once Votto returns.

RichRed
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
The little devil on my shoulder wants Mark Reynolds so the Brennamans' heads will explode.

bucksfan2
07-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Mark Kotsay. He would be a 1b, OF, as well as lefty bat off the bench. He could spell Frazier at times and would add much needed depth when Votto comes back.

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
The risk of not getting some more depth is that Rolen's back may give out again.

If that happens Cairo starts every game at 3b, and he will tend to wear down.
I guess Valdez can fill in there too.

It would really be nice to find a LH OF/1b, that the Reds could keep even after Votto comes back. (Although I'm not sure who you bump off the roster to keep him when Votto comes off the DL)

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Mark Kotsay. He would be a 1b, OF, as well as lefty bat off the bench. He could spell Frazier at times and would add much needed depth when Votto comes back.

I could get on board with this.

marcshoe
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I didn't realize that Branyan was in AAA; I thought I'd read in the offseason that he was retiring. He's one of several lefthanded options that could help the team, although the ones that can other positions as well are the best fits (I'm assuming Branyan can't play the outfield any longer--not sure he really could when he did.)

powersackers
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
In 2010 & 2011, Miguel Cairo put up a .275/.340/.410 line over 500 PA, good for ~3 wins. At 1B the win total would be less, but I'll take Cairo & Frazier over the list above.

For those who would say that Cairo has stunk this year, I'd draw your attention to his crazy low LD% and BABIP. Yes, he's been bad. But the sample is so small there's no reason to believe it's a real change in his ability to hit -- just a slump.

Dionner Navarro is interesting. He's been horrible in the majors the last few years, but he's also had very low BABIP. It's sort of a Paul Janish issue. Does the guy just hit for so little power and have so little speed that his true talent BABIP is significantly lower than average?

Seems he pops out to the IF every PA. That explains his low ld%.

RedsManRick
07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Seems he pops out to the IF every PA. That explains his low ld%.

Yeah, I don't doubt he's legitimately scuffled so far. But the question is what he's going to do moving forward.

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
If the cost of Adam Lind is truly "flotsam," the Reds should do the deal without thinking twice. He's got high upside.

_Sir_Charles_
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe we should just bring up that Flotsam guy. He seems to be really in demand and we should showcase him. ;)

Dan
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Besides Lind, another to consider from the Blue Jays is David Cooper. Decent pop, 25 years old, OPSed .974 last year in AAA as a 24 year old and has had some exposure to the major leagues. Drawback is it doesn't look like he's ever played any position but 1b. Don't know if he could play LF.

Scrap Irony
07-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I like Robinson a bunch and think he's seriously undervalued. He's blocked in KC, too.

I also think Lance Berkman might be a possibility. I could see St. Louis dealing Fat Elvis for Bray and Masset. (And a prospect)

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
If you can pry Robinson away from KC you do it and do it today! I don;t care what pitching prospects it costs. Get him! I'd never even considered him before but YES - and KC might well consider it since he's blocked and they have outfielders in the system blocking him from moving to spots there, blocked at first too. When a franchise has Starling, Myers, Hosmer, Moustakis, Gordon you have trouble breaking through but he's close to them with the bat. Scrap that's a great target.

The only problem is what to do with him once Joey's back? He is not a good outfielder - the Royals in fact won't even bother trying him there, so he'd be relegated to pinch hitting duties and resting Joey on occasion.

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I also like Branyan just for a bench hitter. He give us definite power off the bench, could rest Joey when he comes back a game here and there. If Xavier Paul flops he might be an option to look at for the bench. Not so enamored as a replacement starter - prefer Frazier to him for that.

oregonred
07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Love the title of this thread - so appropriate. Need a dumpster diving for LH or SH thread too.

klw
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe we should just bring up that Flotsam guy. He seems to be really in demand and we should showcase him. ;)

Flotsam is in a platoon with Jetsam. Each would be sink without the other. I would move both, however, for Mr. Lind.

Patrick Bateman
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
If the cost of Adam Lind is truly "flotsam," the Reds should do the deal without thinking twice. He's got high upside.

Not sure there is a ton of upside there as a poor fielding 1st basemen... I think with each year that passes his "breakout" season becomes even more of a fluke.

Still, I'm on board with him, in that he has a significant platoon split and has always hit righties at least adequately, and perhaps if used only in that way he could become even better. His ability to hit them certainly fits with the rest of our roster.

Presumably, if the Reds were willing to take on any of his remaining contract, the Jays would be very pleased to give him to use for next nothing other than the cost savings.

Patrick Bateman
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
DP

Patrick Bateman
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
If you can pry Robinson away from KC you do it and do it today! I don;t care what pitching prospects it costs. Get him! I'd never even considered him before but YES - and KC might well consider it since he's blocked and they have outfielders in the system blocking him from moving to spots there, blocked at first too. When a franchise has Starling, Myers, Hosmer, Moustakis, Gordon you have trouble breaking through but he's close to them with the bat. Scrap that's a great target.

The only problem is what to do with him once Joey's back? He is not a good outfielder - the Royals in fact won't even bother trying him there, so he'd be relegated to pinch hitting duties and resting Joey on occasion.

He's 27, a horrible fielder, with non elite numbers in the PCL, and is set to be a 6 year minor league free agent after the season. Again, this is not the type of guy that you give up "any pitching prospect of their choice". He's a guy who certainly has some ability to hit, which might carry over to the major leagues, but due to his lack of fielding, versatility, and not being a top end hitter, he's certainly not a high end prospect.

If KC is willing to give him up for a like minded prospect, he makes some sense because he can fill a hole, and maybe gives us a decent pinch hit candidate down the line. Similar to Van Slyke (OPSing .500 since his callup, you wanted to trade Leake and others for him), and Garko (you wanted to trade Votto, Bailey, and others for him a few years ago after a hot start, and is now out of the majors), there is only so much value that guys like this have, and their AAA stats in the PCL can really overvalue what the player is really likely to bring to a major league roster.

corkedbat
07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Kotsay would be my favorite of those mentioned so far. Lind & Branyan would be my picks from th orginal list (if they don't cost much). I like Frazier better that either and actually prefer them as bench bats.

My main overall target would be Fowler or Span/Revere, but I'd like to add one of these three as well as a CF platoon partner for Stubbs. Fowler/Spann/Revere would replace Heisey or Cairo and Kotsay/Lind/Branyan would replace the 7th arm in the bullpen.

blumj
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Pretty sure you could have Lars Anderson for just about anything that won't take up a 40 man roster spot. He plays pretty good defense and will take a walk, probably won't do much beyond that, but he has options and I suppose he could still turn into a late bloomer with some trade value.

Vottomatic
07-18-2012, 11:34 PM

I'm on board with this.

Vottomatic
07-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Flotsam is in a platoon with Jetsam. Each would be sink without the other. I would move both, however, for Mr. Lind.

Let's trade for Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, and Derelict.

corkedbat
07-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Let's trade for Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, and Derelict.

Isn't that the agency that represents Cairo?

Vottomatic
07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Isn't that the agency that represents Cairo?

They also represent all of Dusty Baker's daughters' boyfriends. :D

mth123
07-19-2012, 01:44 AM

He's the guy. If not him, Eric Hinske, but I doubt Hinske is available. I like Eric Chavez from Scrap's list. Maybe with Martin's poor season, they'd be interested in Navarro. Luke Scott is a name to consider. He's a low OBP guy, so he's not ideal, but he has power against RHP as a lefty bat on the bench. I'd imagine a move to the NL would help his bat. Rays may call off and sell with Longoria out for most of the year. Salary relief may be all it would take. Maybe a fringe arm along the lines of Jordan Smith.

If the Reds make a move, I hope its for a LH bench player who can just happen to be able to help at 1B rather than a knee jerk for a 1B only type. Jason Giambi would probably help now, but I doubt he'd be much use once Votto returns. He's a good PH, but in Col he gets enough PT with Helton needing rest to stay sharp. He'd waste away here.

My list in order of preference.

1. Kotsay
2. Hinske
3. Chavez
4. Scott
5. Chris Davis if he doesn't cost much.
6. Lind but only if he can still play LF.
7. Lars Anderson, but only if he can play some OF.

All assume that they could be acquired for a non prospect who doesn't impact the big league roster. I'd guess Hinske, Davis and Anderson would cost more in talent than its worth. The Yankees may not want to deal Chavez. I think they like the former all star bench of Chavez, Ibanez and Jones. I think Lind is a little iffy as a bat and in his ability to play other positions. Kotsay seems like a pretty clear choice from a cost, production and usefulness once Votto returns perspective.