PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone pronounce Alfredo Simon?

Danny Serafini
07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
This is one of those little things that really irritate me. There is an accent over the O in Simon, so it's pronounced like see-MOAN, not like SIGH-mun. Yet every Reds announcer gets it wrong. The only person I've heard pronounce his name correctly is Walt Jocketty during an interview. Is it really that difficult to do something basic like get a player's name right?

HotCorner
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
The player himself told the media he wants it pronounced Simon.

marcshoe
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
One of the announcers said that Simon told them he wanted his name pronounced the way they're doing it, which is a change from the way it's been pronounced in the past. And when Simon says....

HotCorner
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
And when Simon says....

:laugh::laugh:

redsmetz
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
This is one of those little things that really irritate me. There is an accent over the O in Simon, so it's pronounced like see-MOAN, not like SIGH-mun. Yet every Reds announcer gets it wrong. The only person I've heard pronounce his name correctly is Walt Jocketty during an interview. Is it really that difficult to do something basic like get a player's name right?

Perhaps we should ask Tony Pérez (http://www.forvo.com/word/p%C3%A9rez/)

HotCorner
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I tweeted John Fay and Jamie Ramsey for clarification as well.

@johnfayman How does Simon want his last name pronounced?//Like Simon says Simon

@Jamieblog How does Simon want his last name pronounced?//He requests SIGH-mun

Danny Serafini
07-19-2012, 03:34 PM
OK, then I retract my complaint. :laugh:

redsmetz
07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
NM - someone already beat me to the punch.

BCubb2003
07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Another one of those players to be named later.

medford
07-19-2012, 04:32 PM

that may just be your best one yet, or at least it caught me unawares and made me laugh even harder than I normally laugh when viewing your random thoughts.

RollyInRaleigh
07-19-2012, 05:46 PM

:thumbup:

oneupper
07-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Tony Pérez is actually known as Tani Pérez is hispanic circles, since his given name is Atanasio and not Antonio.

One that always is mispronounced is Hernández, or any other name starting with H, which in spanish is silent.

Blitz Dorsey
07-19-2012, 07:12 PM
What's hilarious is that even Dusty doesn't know how to pronounce it. He was interviewed by Buster Olney during the Sunday night Reds-Cards game and he pronounced it SUHH-moan.

However, as others have mentioned, Simon himself has said he wants it pronounced the "American way" i.e. "SIGH-min."

RedEye
07-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Forgive me if there is a more appropriate Simon thread to ask this, but...

Do we have reason to believe that Alfredo's current bullpen success is sustainable? And, if so, why the heck was he just floating around out there on waivers for Walt to scoop up?

Roy Tucker
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Forgive me if there is a more appropriate Simon thread to ask this, but...

Do we have reason to believe that Alfredo's current bullpen success is sustainable? And, if so, why the heck was he just floating around out there on waivers for Walt to scoop up?

Not that anyone really cares, but I apologize to Simon. I thought he was a bum early in the season and bad-mouthed him all over the place. He's turned out to be a nice pickup and has pitched well. I think Dusty's handling of him has something to do with it.

elfmanvt07
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Not that anyone really cares, but I apologize to Simon. I thought he was a bum early in the season and bad-mouthed him all over the place. He's turned out to be a nice pickup and has pitched well. I think Dusty's handling of him has something to do with it.

http://wideaperture.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/riker.gif

Tony Cloninger
07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
It's pronounced Reds Bullpen Saver.

Blitz Dorsey
07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Simon has been great and JJ Hoover should absolutely be on this team.