PDA

View Full Version : That Worthless Cody Ross

WVRedsFan
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Remember when he was given away for most nothing. Well, he did it again. Walk off in Boston. I keep thinking he'd look good right about now. I know. A day late and a dollar short.

Tom Servo
07-20-2012, 02:56 AM
A little late to get sentimental considering he's played for multiple teams since 2006. But yes, it was silly of the long since fired Wayne Krivsky to have traded him and kept Quentin McCracken.

RedEye
07-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I never, ever understood why Wayne made that decision.

Orenda
07-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Remember when he was given away for most nothing. Well, he did it again. Walk off in Boston. I keep thinking he'd look good right about now. I know. A day late and a dollar short.

he must have found a new source of untapped "scrappiness" .

redsmetz
07-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Just went back and reviewed the history of acquiring Ross, then trading him 5 weeks later. I forgot he was injured immediately after we acquired him and that he only appeared in two games for us.

While looking at his B-R.com page, I noticed Ryan Ludwick as one of his comparable players. Looking at their present seasons, they're still roughly equivalent to each other, although Cody Ross has been a bit more productive, driving in eight more runs than Ludwick in six fewer games. But they're near each other in walks and tied for home runs.

With Ludwick finally playing better, it's possible that he'll exceed Ross, although I'm guessing not by much. Aside from Ross having played all three OF positions this season, they're roughly the same player.

blumj
07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Yep, it's called the Green Monster. Not that he hasn't had some pretty good streaks before, but that's a Fenway swing if I've ever seen one. Even Kevin Millar pulls foul the pitch Ross hit over the monster last night.

cumberlandreds
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Cody Ross was one of the weirdest player transactions I can remember. I couldn't remember exactly how long he was here until I looked it up on Retrosheet. He was aquired from the Dodgers on April 26,2006 for a player to be named later. Ben Kozlowski was sent to the Dodgers on June 1. Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.

Chances are if the Reds had kept him then he still wouldn't have been on this team. Players like him, for whatever reason, seem to bounce around the majors quite a bit.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/R/Prossc001.htm

redsmetz
07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Cody Ross was one of the weirdest player transactions I can remember. I couldn't remember exactly how long he was here until I looked it up on Retrosheet. He was aquired from the Dodgers on April 26,2006 for a player to be named later. Ben Kozlowski was sent to the Dodgers on June 1. Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.

Chances are if the Reds had kept him then he still wouldn't have been on this team. Players like him, for whatever reason, seem to bounce around the majors quite a bit.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/R/Prossc001.htm

He was hit by a pitch in that first game while striking out against Roy Oswalt and went on the DL. I agree it was one of the strangest moves a club has made, although he wasn't great for the Marlins the rest of that season, nor the next year. Still, he was one of a couple of quick pick ups that the club divested fairly quickly that season.

Vottomatic
07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Cody is a free agent after making $3M this season. It probably wouldn't take much to acquire him. His OPS is .902 with an OBP of .345. Hitting lefties at a .328 clip. 15 HR's so far.

I'd be interested, although I prefer another lefthanded bat. He seems like a better Ludwick/Heisey type player.

RedFanAlways1966
07-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Ross played in one game and had one AB on April 28. He didn't see anymore big league action until May 24th in a game he started and went 1-4. I assume he was in the minors for that month. He was sold to the Marlins on May 26. No other players involved in that deal. Maybe the Reds were desperate for money at that time? But really strange the way he was handled.

He was hit by the pitch in the hand. Broke a finger. IIRC the pitch that hit him was called a strike! He may have attempted to bunt on it. But my memory may be failing me (again).

At the time the Reds let Ross go (he was out options) the starting outfielders were Junior, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns. They also had Ryan Freel and Chris Denorfia.

No room for him. Unfortunately he was the odd man out. I hope we do not make it out to be a Frank Robinson to Baltimore thing (obviously it is not). Hindsight is always 20-20. And I'd venture to guess that everyone here did not give a frog's fat butt about Cody Ross when he was sent to Folrida for cash.

Roy Tucker
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
IIRC, it was one of those moves they made as a favor to the player since there was no room. Kind of like Janish.

edabbs44
07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
He was one piece of an extremely schitzophrenic period of player transactions. I wonder if Krivsky set some sort of record.

cumberlandreds
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
He was hit by the pitch in the hand. Broke a finger. IIRC the pitch that hit him was called a strike! He may have attempted to bunt on it. But my memory may be failing me (again).

At the time the Reds let Ross go (he was out options) the starting outfielders were Junior, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns. They also had Ryan Freel and Chris Denorfia.

No room for him. Unfortunately he was the odd man out. I hope we do not make it out to be a Frank Robinson to Baltimore thing (obviously it is not). Hindsight is always 20-20. And I'd venture to guess that everyone here did not give a frog's fat butt about Cody Ross when he was sent to Folrida for cash.

Thanks to yo and RedMetz for that. I do seem to remember him being injured right away. Makes some sense now why they sold him becuase of options and roster moves.

OesterPoster
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
IIRC, it was one of those moves they made as a favor to the player since there was no room. Kind of like Janish.

Yep. I remember Ross saying at the time that he was grateful for the move by Krivsky to send him somewhere to get another chance. He fully understood that the roster spots in Cinci were filled at the time. I don't remember any hard feelings at all.

Revering4Blue
07-20-2012, 10:08 AM
IMHO, the Marlins now look far worse than the Reds, as they simply allowed Ross--an established contributor by then-- to claimed on waivers by the Giants on August 21, 2010 without compensation.

In other words, using a similar situation with a former Reds player as an example, Ross was (Felix) Heredia'd by the Marlins.

While such players certainly would not have commanded a King's ransom, it is simply foolish to give away assets, no matter the situation.

WVRedsFan
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I hope we do not make it out to be a Frank Robinson to Baltimore thing (obviously it is not). Hindsight is always 20-20. And I'd venture to guess that everyone here did not give a frog's fat butt about Cody Ross when he was sent to Folrida for cash.

Nah. I'd lost track of him after his heriocs for the SF Giants int he World Series. Then I tune into the Red Sox game the other night and he was hitting a walkoff HR. I really have no interest in him for the Reds, but thought it was funny that this guy was considered not as good as Kearns. And as you say, hindsight is 20/20, as you say.

oneupper
07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Krivsky showed the same sort of behaviour with Ross as with Hamilton. Had the great eye to pick him up, but then couldn't get him to stick with the team and/or get value for him.

IslandRed
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
He was aquired from the Dodgers on April 26,2006 for a player to be named later. Ben Kozlowski was sent to the Dodgers on June 1.

That's basically it:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060424&content_id=1416114&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

The Dodgers had designated Ross for assignment, the Reds temporarily needed an outfielder with Griffey on the DL, so they picked him up for loose change. Then Ross was hurt almost immediately, and when he was healthy again, the roster was full and he was out of options. So they did him a favor and found a team that needed an outfielder instead of just cutting him loose. Thus is life under roster limits.

In retrospect, it's possible to pick out guys on the roster that day we'd rather have seen gone, but Ross was generally considered just another bench guy at that point.

bucksfan2
07-20-2012, 02:33 PM
That's basically it:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060424&content_id=1416114&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

The Dodgers had designated Ross for assignment, the Reds temporarily needed an outfielder with Griffey on the DL, so they picked him up for loose change. Then Ross was hurt almost immediately, and when he was healthy again, the roster was full and he was out of options. So they did him a favor and found a team that needed an outfielder instead of just cutting him loose. Thus is life under roster limits.

In retrospect, it's possible to pick out guys on the roster that day we'd rather have seen gone, but Ross was generally considered just another bench guy at that point.

In Krivsky's defense he was good at adding talent on the cheap. He picked up David Ross for a song and he became a solid catcher. He picked up Brandon Phillips for basically nothing when there was a log jam at 2b. He picked up Ross for nothing but had no where to play him. At the time he wasn't going to play over Jr, Dunn, and Kearns. I have wondered at times what would have happened to BP had he not gone crazy when the Reds first picked him up. Wonder if he would have been cut loose due to a roster squeeze.

It has always made me wonder why people lamented Ross being let go. Guy didn't have a place to play and played 2 games as a Red?