PDA

View Full Version : Massacre in Aurora, Colorado

texasdave
07-20-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/aurora-shooting-movie-theater-batman_n_1688547.html

Lone Gunman opens fire in a theater for the opening of the Dark Knight Rises.
14 dead, 50 injured. Some in hospitals in critical condition.
Simply a tragic event.

HeatherC1212
07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
How horribly tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. :(

oneupper
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I can't begin to understand this sort of thing, which seems to happen way too often.
Makes your head spin.

Todd Gack
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Obviously the actions of the shooter are disgusting.

But one thing I've been asking myself during all this coverage: Who takes their 3-month-old to a movie theater at midnight?

westofyou
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM

But one thing I've been asking myself during all this coverage: Who takes their 3-month-old to a movie theater at midnight?

I pondered that myself, once I sat next to guy with a two year old at a jay and silent bob flick

reds1869
07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I can not begin to understand the motives for such a slaughter, but then again I doubt that the shooter was in a rational state of mind. Tragic.

Tom Servo
07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Terrible. And like oneupper said, it seems we get these types of incidents way too often.

savafan
07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
You can't fault the media for reporting something like this, that's their job, yet I feel that the manner in which they report these types of occurences leads to copycats. I have no studies or facts to support this, it's just how I feel.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
You can't fault the media for reporting something like this, that's their job, yet I feel that the manner in which they report these types of occurences leads to copycats. I have no studies or facts to support this, it's just how I feel.
I don't have any "data" to link it either, but in Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore did a great job of connecting some dots. Surprisingly--or perhaps not--Marilyn Manson had some of the best quotes in the entire movie that managed to blame the media for events like this.

savafan
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
The suspect: http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/suspect-neuroscience-phd-student-photo-released-160848135.html

LoganBuck
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
How does someone carry an AR15 and a shotgun into a movie theater in July? Sure, I understand if someone would sneak in handguns, but not one, but two long guns?

camisadelgolf
07-20-2012, 02:42 PM
How does someone carry an AR15 and a shotgun into a movie theater in July? Sure, I understand if someone would sneak in handguns, but not one, but two long guns?
I heard some quotes that said some people thought it was a movie promotion.

cincyinco
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Get woken up at 4am today by calls asking if everyone in my clan was okay. We are, thankfully. I don't know anyone else, at this moment, directly affected either. I know a few people that were supposed to going to that theater but headed west instead to meet up with other friends. Lucky I suppose.

But when I turned on the news this morning that's something that immediately came to mind when I heard it as well. I think about my son, who's about to turn 1,and how I'd never take him to a movie at this age, let alone 3 months, let alone a MIDNIGHT showing of a movie. Then I think of Aurora, the town I live in and work in.. The people I see in a daily basis at my job.. And unfortunately I conclude that I shouldn't be surprised that someone took a 3 month old to a midnight movie premier.

dougdirt
07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I heard some quotes that said some people thought it was a movie promotion.

Wouldn't the staff at the theater know that there wasn't a movie promotion going on?

LoganBuck
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't the staff at the theater know that there wasn't a movie promotion going on?

Right. Who said it was ok to walk in with a tactical rifle and a shotgun, even if they were fake? You get strip searched at most theaters over bringing in Milkduds.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Many people were already dressed in costume. Also, he entered through an exit door.

LoganBuck
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Many people were already dressed in costume. Also, he entered through an exit door.

I don't get how that is possible at a sold out premiere.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
On a night as busy as that one was, I'm sure it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone. Also, I doubt anyone there was trained on the protocol for how to handle a situation like that. I think it's important to note what can be done differently to avoid this from happening again, but trying to assign blame to the staff or theater is ridiculous. There is no way to defend yourself against sociopaths unless you're willing to lose your human rights. It's an unfortunate event that can't be undone, and it will likely happen again unless we find an effective way to acknowledge and treat this kind of insanity.

LoganBuck
07-20-2012, 03:35 PM
On a night as busy as that one was, I'm sure it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone. Also, I doubt anyone there was trained on the protocol for how to handle a situation like that. I think it's important to note what can be done differently to avoid this from happening again, but trying to assign blame to the staff or theater is ridiculous. There is no way to defend yourself against sociopaths unless you're willing to lose your human rights. It's an unfortunate event that can't be undone, and it will likely happen again unless we find an effective way to acknowledge and treat this kind of insanity.

I don't understand how you can't put part of the blame on the theater. We have all been to a movie before. The entrances are limited. I have been to sold out premieres, ushers are making sure all seats are taken. In my experience, they pay more attention because there will be a crowd.

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2012, 03:39 PM

He apparently bought a ticket. Sat in a seat for about 15 minutes or so then sometime after the lights went down he went out the exit door but somehow kept it from closing all the way. Then he went out to his car pulled it up to the back of the theater and then got his weapons and went back in through that exit door.

So that is how he got the weapons in it all came down to him going out that door keeping it open slightly somehow and then re-entering. In the theater it would have seemed unusual for someone to exit that door but with the movie starting most people probably did not pay much attention to it.

bucksfan2
07-20-2012, 04:12 PM
He apparently bought a ticket. Sat in a seat for about 15 minutes or so then sometime after the lights went down he went out the exit door but somehow kept it from closing all the way. Then he went out to his car pulled it up to the back of the theater and then got his weapons and went back in through that exit door.

So that is how he got the weapons in it all came down to him going out that door keeping it open slightly somehow and then re-entering. In the theater it would have seemed unusual for someone to exit that door but with the movie starting most people probably did not pay much attention to it.

If that is the story you can't blame the theater at all. This guy was loaded to the tilt with guns, a smoke bomb, as well as a gas mask. He was going to inflict as much bloodshed as possible.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't understand how you can't put part of the blame on the theater. We have all been to a movie before. The entrances are limited. I have been to sold out premieres, ushers are making sure all seats are taken. In my experience, they pay more attention because there will be a crowd.
All the blame goes on the person(s) responsible for the shooting. Period. How do you tell a staff that they should've been prepared for a sociopath with guns, and how do you tell them they are at all to blame for this? Maybe you have some details I don't, but I just don't see how that's reasonable.

reds1869
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
It is human nature to want to assign blame because it makes us feel in control to believe we can prevent the next tragedy. In reality there is a lot that is beyond our ability to stop and even more that is beyond our ability to comprehend.

dougdirt
07-20-2012, 04:40 PM

I haven't actually read/seen anything on it other than this thread. That certainly explains why, at first at least, no one really knew what was going on.

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I haven't actually read/seen anything on it other than this thread. That certainly explains why, at first at least, no one really knew what was going on.

This is where that detail came from:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31289126/detail.html

Another thing that article mentions is apparently police have found his apartment is setup with very complex booby traps. Apparently it is so complex police are saying they may be working on this for several days to try to get that part taken care of.

_Sir_Charles_
07-20-2012, 04:57 PM

And what if the movie theater employees DID manage to see the guy...THEN WHAT? He's a nut job who's going to do what he did regardless of whether someone sees him or not. He obviously planned this out, I don't think it'd be too tough for him to rig the door to open from the outside. Blaming the theater staff is beyond crazy IMO. Ushers are teenage kids for the most part, are we really expecting them to be responsible for "security"?

cincyinco
07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Radio here in Denver (850 koa) had a reporter on saying at least a dozen or so witnesses recall seeing someone from the front row get up to open the door. Too much Unconfirmed information out there right now to really know what is certain and what is rumor.

powersackers
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Radio here in Denver (850 koa) had a reporter on saying at least a dozen or so witnesses recall seeing someone from the front row get up to open the door. Too much Unconfirmed information out there right now to really know what is certain and what is rumor.

Still it would only be slightly odd to see someone walk out. Someone doing so could be a Dr. On call or whatever. I park at the back of theatres to exit quickly myself. Also on a side note, I try and examine exits for every public place I enter just to be a tiny bit more prepared if something like this ever happens to me and my family.

KittyDuran
07-20-2012, 06:34 PM
American flag @ half-mast here @ GABP. Would assume for the memory of the victims...

westofyou
07-20-2012, 07:10 PM
American flag @ half-mast here @ GABP. Would assume for the memory of the victims...

Yes, moment of silence prior to the game too

WMR
07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Instances like this, where there is absolutely zero question of culpability in absolutely heinous crimes, should merit a fast-track death sentence. Instead, this piece of human excrement will get to enjoy sucking oxygen for the next 20 years as his case winds its way through the judicial system.

powersackers
07-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Instances like this, where there is absolutely zero question of culpability in absolutely heinous crimes, should merit a fast-track death sentence. Instead, this piece of human excrement will get to enjoy sucking oxygen for the next 20 years as his case winds its way through the judicial system.

I feel the same. A letter to our US senators and Congress would be a good idea.

Dom Heffner
07-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Unfortunately for mankind we're stuck with this Bell Curve thingamy doo hickey that pretty much guarantees that given a certain sample size, one dodo head will emerge in spite of rules, regulations, and any other obstacle the sane puts up in attempt to protect society from said outlier. Given the nature of gravity and physics and stuff I'm too ignorant to comprehend, there are no physical laws that could stop someone who really wanted to do this. The same air that you can take a jog through or stare at a sunset or let sand fall through your fingers also lets bullets fly through it. There isn't an answer, and it's one of the most hopeless feelings as a human being to have. I try to reason my way through these things and end up in the same place: the only laws that can't be broken are the ones that Mother Nature set forth. The results can go either way, depending on the day.

Edskin
07-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Well said Dom....

The only way to"prevent" this type of stuff is to recognize these individuals on a micro level well before they get to a point of delusion and rage. What I mean by the is most of these mass shooters, etc display signs years and years prior to their ultimate action. A parent, friend, sibling etc tht is aware enough might be able to step in and get them help before it is too late. Like Dom said, once their mind is made up, there is little anyone else can do--- the price we pay for a free society.

Those Columbine kids had weapons, drawings, plans all over their garage and bedrooms..... Either no one around them cared or no one took it seriously.

The scary thing about "loners" is that no one really WANTS to be alone all the time. Humans are social and meant to have various relationships with other humans. If someone gets to 24 years of age without a friend or close relative or significant other in their life, I think that has the potential to be a disaster.

I'm certainly not a mental health professional and maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'd say identifying warning signs early is our only real hope to stop someone with these types of tendencies.

In a semi-related note, some insensitive moron pulled a fire alarm at a showing of Dark Night here in OKC this evening. My good friend and his nine-month pregnant wife were in th theater and he said there was lots of panic and that they just went straight home and were pretty shaken up.

GAC
07-21-2012, 04:05 AM
It is human nature to want to assign blame because it makes us feel in control to believe we can prevent the next tragedy. In reality there is a lot that is beyond our ability to stop and even more that is beyond our ability to comprehend.

And that's what's puzzling to our minds when such a tragedy like this occurs.... trying to comprehend, figure out why and what motivates individuals to commit such a horrific act against their fellow human beings.

The human mind is far more complex and that "undiscovered country" that may never be fully comprehended, as far as understanding how it can sink into such depravity as what occurred yesterday.

And I'm waiting to hear someone say, who knew this guy.... "Gee, he seemed like such a nice young man. I just can't believe he would do something like this." How many times have we heard that before in situations like this?

And no matter how much we try to study this obviously obsessively deranged person, what motivated him, and how we can possibly learn and prevent it from occurring again, we, sadly, won't be able to. And that's what's even scarier because a sick mind is not always so obvious to see outwardly as far as physical signs.

My heart and prayers go out to these families.

powersackers
07-21-2012, 06:02 AM
This murderer will likely have the next 20 years to write his book and receive love letters in prison from the deranged (it happens see Lacy Peterson's husband) . Now if we stuck a needle in his arm on National TV Monday morning it just might serve as a deterrent to these otherwise unstoppable bell curve outlier lunatics.

camisadelgolf
07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html
Conspiracy theories already sprouting up.

Redsfaithful
07-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Saw that article on FB and it is easily one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

cincyinco
07-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Not that I'm buying the conspiracy theories, but the article has made me think about some stuff, and I just can't begin to answer some of my own questions. Sorry if some of these thoughts are morbid..

1) How does a guy like this amass what is reportedly close to 20K in tactical gear, firearms, and ammunition? Dude is unemployed. Even an unemployment check never got me close to having a ton of money to pay my rent, get food, and then be able to even consider purchasing loads upon loads of ammunition, firearms, and explosives.

2) Why did he choose this particular theater? If the guy was looking to massacre a large number of people, which he did, he would have been better off choosing one of many other theaters in the city of Aurora, let alone Denver. The one he chose was right across the street from the largest police hub, and the main Aurora Jail. If I'm looking to kill people, for whatever reason, I'm not choosing a place that's going to have cops swarming me fairly quickly. I'm going to pick a more isolated spot where I have more time.

3) Why did he give up without a fight? If he's wearing tactical body armor from head to toe, that to me tells me he's looking for a fight. I don't get why you'd bother dressing up like this if you have a death wish. To me, if you're dressed like this, you're looking to put up a big fight with armed persons. Instead, no altercation with police. Wth?

4) Why didn't the cops come in guns a blazing? People here get shot by cops for a lot less. I don't know.. Just seems weird to me. Admittedly, I dont have all the facts yet of how the surrender took place... let alone all the facts of what exactly happened.

5) Again, it appears this dude is out to kill and hurt people obviously. Hence his rampage and rigging his apartment to explode. But if you're wanting to hurt people further by rigging your apartment, why on earth do you tell the cops that there's explosive material in your apartment? Wouldn't you want them to "discover" this on their own, with the hopes of carrying out the intended goal of harming whoever visited there? Why give them a heads up?

I don't know.. again, sorry for these morbid thoughts. It just doesn't compute to me. Then again, walking into a theater and opening fire on innocent people doesn't compute with me either. It makes me sick to my stomach, as a new parent, to think about being there. To think about those who were there, and lost their lives. I had close family friends that were supposed to be at this theater. For whatever reason, divine intervention, chance, luck, what have you.. they went across town to another theater instead, last minute, when a friend called and asked them to see the movie with her. One of the victims was friends with my close family friends. I'm sad for their loss. Its heartbreaking.

You look for reasons and answers but ultimately, I don't know if you can ever get one. Because this isn't a reasonable act. There is no justifiable reason for why this occurred. Its senseless. Its disturbing.

I had to take phone calls at 4 in the morning from family on the west coast, asking if I was okay. And as for immediate friends and family, no one I know was there(that I know of), and no one was hurt. As a resident of Aurora, and a lifelong resident of CO, I never go to this mall where the theater is if I can't help it. There's been noted gang related shootings and violence in the past. And its just not, IMO that great an area. Part of me is kind of surprised no one in that theater was carrying and fought back. Its not the greatest part of the town that I live in, but its not the worst either. The main police hub, jail, and court house that has gone up across the street has helped the area.

I don't know, the first day this happened, I was just shocked. Now I'm kinda angry. At the guy who did this. At some of the people who were there with children. Why on earth would you bring a BABY to a movie, let alone Batman, let alone a MIDNIGHT SCREENING of Batman. You should have been at home, with your kid!~ Or find a babysitter. Just so many different things wrong with this whole things on so many different levels. I just don't know where to start.

Its on the news all the time, its all anyone is talking about around here. Its just messed up.

Sorry this turned into me venting a little bit too. I'm just thankful my family and friends are safe. I'm saddened by the victims of this... I'm not an overly religious person, but I have been praying lately for these people. It's the epitome of tragic.

Redsfaithful
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
On the first question cincyinco, $20k is not a lot of money, especially if he's been amassing the stuff for years. And if not I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, an inheritance, a frugal lifestyle, who knows.

Most of the rest can be answered with "because he's crazy."

LoganBuck
07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
On the first question cincyinco, $20k is not a lot of money, especially if he's been amassing the stuff for years. And if not I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, an inheritance, a frugal lifestyle, who knows.

Most of the rest can be answered with "because he's crazy."

He could have put it all on credit cards. Figuring to go down in a hail of gunfire before the bill came due.

Rojo
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
The scary thing about "loners" is that no one really WANTS to be alone all the time. Humans are social and meant to have various relationships with other humans. If someone gets to 24 years of age without a friend or close relative or significant other in their life, I think that has the potential to be a disaster.

I'm certainly not a mental health professional and maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'd say identifying warning signs early is our only real hope to stop someone with these types of tendencies.

You may not be a mental health professional but I think you do know what you're talking about. Prisoners put in solitary confinement go mad. We have an alienating society. Obviously most don't go bonkers, but even a few is too many.

Playadlc
07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html
Conspiracy theories already sprouting up.

I read one theory at the cesspit that is Stormfront that Holmes was brainwashed into the attack by Marxist Zionists who want to disarm Americans of their guns.

Knightro28
07-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Such a sad sad event. All around. The victims. The families. When these events occur, I always wonder what happened in these peoples' lives to push them to this.

TeamSelig
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
He was probably really scared of dying, hence the armor and the quick/easy surrender.

Joseph
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
He was a grad student [according to reports] who was reportedly given something like 24k per year for living expenses and such so he could be involved in the program.

Thats how he bought things while being unemployed.

Tom Servo
07-24-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-christian-bale-visit-aurora-colorado-20120724,0,2272552.story

Todd Gack
07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Get woken up at 4am today by calls asking if everyone in my clan was okay. We are, thankfully. I don't know anyone else, at this moment, directly affected either. I know a few people that were supposed to going to that theater but headed west instead to meet up with other friends. Lucky I suppose.

But when I turned on the news this morning that's something that immediately came to mind when I heard it as well. I think about my son, who's about to turn 1,and how I'd never take him to a movie at this age, let alone 3 months, let alone a MIDNIGHT showing of a movie. Then I think of Aurora, the town I live in and work in.. The people I see in a daily basis at my job.. And unfortunately I conclude that I shouldn't be surprised that someone took a 3 month old to a midnight movie premier.

Heck, I'm asking myself why that 6yo that was shot and killed there. 6 yo girl at Dark Knight? I'm no movie buff, but I've heard it's incredibly violent. Parents can do what they want with a kid, but I can't even imagine taking a 6yo to the movie theater that late to see THAT movie.

Todd Gack
07-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Excuse me for sounding insensitive, but hundreds of people are murdered every day. Why is this situation any different for lowering of flags? Just because it was more sensationalized and at a movie theater?

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Respectfully to cinyinco's post, I don't think we should be questioninng parents who bring kids to a midnight showing.

They really shouldn't expect to get shot for having done so. That sort of question goes to the why was that girl wearing provacative clothing at 3 in the morning sort of thing, and that really isn't where we should head. I don't like assuming everyone deserves the worst possble outcome to happen to them because of something they did that was pretty innocent.

Furthermore, it's summer, school's out, so who really cares where the kids are? If it's an infant, they sleep anyway, what's the difference if it's in a theater or at home?

This is one person's fault. He planned it, he executed it. If he was so mentally unstable that he was going to go kill someone, he needs to say something to someone. If he doesn't, then he really doesn't have anyone else to blame but himself. This demonizing of his parents is shameful. The questioning of the parents who brought infants and kids to midnight movie misses the point.

We can argue all day long about gun rights but really at the end of the day, nothing can stop someone fronm doing this sort of thing if they really, really, really want to do it.

Gravity and physics couldn't care less about intent.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
edit

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Excuse me for sounding insensitive, but hundreds of people are murdered every day. Why is this situation any different for lowering of flags? Just because it was more sensationalized and at a movie theater?

I think it's because we all know about the event- on any given day hundreds are murdered, but most are not something that capture national attention. This one is different- we all know about it, it's national news.

As well- if we just kept a flag lowererd everyday, it loses its meaning.

I like the idea of doing it only on occasions when we are mourning as a nation.

Rojo
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Respectfully to cinyinco's post, I don't think we should be questioninng parents who bring kids to a midnight showing.

They really shouldn't expect to get shot for having done so.

Nobody's saying that.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Nobody's saying that.

This is what he said:

don't know, the first day this happened, I was just shocked. Now I'm kinda angry. At the guy who did this. At some of the people who were there with children. Why on earth would you bring a BABY to a movie, let alone Batman, let alone a MIDNIGHT SCREENING of Batman. You should have been at home, with your kid!~ Or find a babysitter. Just so many different things wrong with this whole things on so many different levels. I just don't know where to start.

Why is he mad at them for bringing babies and children to a movie if he isn't sort of saying, well, the kids shouldn't have been there in the first place....he's mad at the victims....I disagree with that. Wholeheartedly.

This is specious reasoning. With all due respect, people should be able to parent how they wish without worrying about being shot to death. If we're going to say people should have been at home, let's start with the shooter.

Todd Gack
07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
This is what he said:

Why is he mad at them for bringing babies and children to a movie if he isn't sort of saying, well, the kids shouldn't have been there in the first place....he's mad at the victims....I disagree with that. Wholeheartedly.

This is specious reasoning. With all due respect, people should be able to parent how they wish without worrying about being shot to death. If we're going to say people should have been at home, let's start with the shooter.

I think the whole point is that even if I went to my local movie theater that night and nothing happened and I saw a 3 month old and a 6yo, I'd still be questioning why they're there.

It's a parenting question, not a madman one.

krm1580
07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
This is what he said:

This is specious reasoning. With all due respect, people should be able to parent how they wish without worrying about being shot to death.

I have to agree with Rojo on this. I think he is looking at them as completely separate issues.

I have a 5 year old and an infant and cannot envision a scenario where I would drag them to a movie theatre at midnight. It has absolutely nothing to do with fear of being shot.

Rojo
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I think the whole point is that even if I went to my local movie theater that night and nothing happened and I saw a 3 month old and a 6yo, I'd still be questioning why they're there.

It's a parenting question, not a madman one.

Yeah, it's an aside. And it's one I thought about.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah, it's an aside. And it's one I thought about.

He isn't questioning it. He said he was angry. He's using the same word that he used about the killer. I mean- you get angry over parents bringing children to a movie theater? Angry? Like you do with a killer? Sorry, I just don't read it that way.

If you're thinking about "Why were there kids in the first place," you're on the wrong path.

"I'm kinda angry. At the killer. At some of the people who were there with children."

He is inferring the children shouldn't have been there- he isn't railing about bad parenting in a thread about a mass murder.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I have to agree with Rojo on this. I think he is looking at them as completely separate issues.

I have a 5 year old and an infant and cannot envision a scenario where I would drag them to a movie theatre at midnight. It has absolutely nothing to do with fear of being shot.

Terrific. Not only did these people get shot at, we have folks taking the opportunity to question their parenting skills.

It's bad taste, either way. You don't start a paragraph off with "I'm angry at a mass murderer, and oh by the way, these parents are awful for bringing their kids to a movie theater at midnight." That's kicking someone when they're down to say the least.

Maybe we could take this opportunity to tell them they could have seen the movie $5 cheaper at a matinee? Or maybe yell at the theater for $10 Raisinets?

Redsfaithful
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I mean- you get angry over parents bringing children to a movie theater? Angry? Like you do with a killer?

Well not like I get with a killer, of course. But I did see some small children at my showing on Saturday, and wasn't thrilled with it (for their sake, not mine.) Chris Nolan's Batman is ultra grim dark, it's not really toddler/kindergarten appropriate. There's a tremendous amount of violence, tension, and the whole thing is dark, dark, dark.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Well not like I get with a killer, of course. But I did see some small children at my showing on Saturday, and wasn't thrilled with it (for their sake, not mine.) Chris Nolan's Batman is ultra grim dark, it's not really toddler/kindergarten appropriate. There's a tremendous amount of violence, tension, and the whole thing is dark, dark, dark.

So he was saying, well, this killer is really awful and by the way parents shouldn't bring their kids to see Batman?

I dunno. Seems like a weird time to discuss theater manners.

I know you just lost your child, but I really question you as a parent for bringing him to see Batman. That seems like an inopportune time to drop an aside, don't you?

We're parsing words to the same effect: If he doesn't think kids should be at Batman, then he is essentially saying the kids shouldn't have been there in the first place. He can't take the postion that he is questioning parenting skills and then say oh well I wasn't referring to it this time...Oh, I just dropped that in there as something that sort of irks me.

That makes no sense, especially in the context of the sentence.

No matter what is meant, it's poor taste. It's just my opinion.

krm1580
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
So he was saying, well, this killer is really awful and by the way parents shouldn't bring their kids to see Batman?

I dunno. Seems like a weird time to discuss theater manners.

I know you just lost your child, but I really question you as a parent for bringing him to see Batman. That seems like an inopportune time to drop an aside, don't you?

We're parsing words to the same effect: If he doesn't think kids should be at Batman, then he is essentially saying the kids shouldn't have been there in the first place. He can't take the postion that he is questioning parenting skills and then say oh well I wasn't referring to it this time...Oh, I just dropped that in there as something that sort of irks me.

That makes no sense, especially in the context of the sentence.

No matter what is meant, it's poor taste. It's just my opinion.

Hopefully cincyinco will drop back in and clarify his post.

Looking at the context of the entire post it does appear to be the venting of a person who is fairly close to this event and clearly upset. With that as the case it is very likely he phased things in ways that could be misinterpretted. I did not interpret it the way you have, but only he knows what he meant and like I said, hopefully he will clarify.

Dom Heffner
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Hopefully cincyinco will drop back in and clarify his post.

Looking at the context of the entire post it does appear to be the venting of a person who is fairly close to this event and clearly upset. With that as the case it is very likely he phased things in ways that could be misinterpretted. I did not interpret it the way you have, but only he knows what he meant and like I said, hopefully he will clarify.

It upset all of us. I'm sure he is a terrifc guy, this isn't meant as anything personal.

It's just there is really no way around what he's saying there.

And I don't mean to pick on one thing there, but look at it this way:

He obviously is angry at parents bringing children to see Batman.

Now that is either a really distasteful time to bring that up, or he is inferring that the kids shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I'm sure nothing was meant by it- he's venting, but I've heard this a lot lately from friends, TV shows....there's always that person who asks "Well what were the kids doing at a midnight movie of Batman?" Even Rojo admitted he thought that.

So two things: One, now really isn't the time to discuss that. if you think it is, then you are clearly inferring that either kids shouldn't have been there in the first place, or you are taking the opportunity of a shooting to drop your theater pet peeves on people. Two, people can judge for themselves what's appropriate for their children. The movie theater let them in, it isn't against the law.

I've taken my infant baby to a late night movie, and he slept right through it.

I would have hated for people to have been shot when I did it and then have people say, "Gosh, what was your baby doing there...I'm angry about your kid having been there."

It's one person's fault. Blame him. And use another opportunity to tell other people how to raise their kids.

WMR
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Am I allowed to think someone is an idiot for bringing an infant to a midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises while also believing that they didn't deserve to get shot?

Rojo
07-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I've taken my infant baby to a late night movie, and he slept right through it.

Ooooh, now I get it.

OldRightHander
07-26-2012, 07:23 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/batman-star-christian-bale-visits-aurora/2012/07/25/gJQADTsC8W_video.html

TeamSelig
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't see what's wrong with taking your baby to a movie, granted it isn't crying.

When my son was first born, my wife and I were on a third shift schedule... I can remember people giving dirty looks... like "what is this baby doing out this late?" but it was just our schedule at the time.

dougdirt
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Just saw something on facebook, another conspiracy 'theory' that suggests the guy isn't who he claims he is and is a completely different person. SMH....

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Just saw something on facebook, another conspiracy 'theory' that suggests the guy isn't who he claims he is and is a completely different person. SMH....
I saw that, too. If you line up the faces in Photoshop, it's definitely him.

Ohayou
07-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't care if it was Toy Story 4 premiering. You don't bring a three-month-old to the movies at all let alone at midnight, and a four-year-old should be home in bed. If you can't afford a sitter, then Daddy goes one day and Mommy goes on a different day, they can toss a coin to see who goes first. I see some "experts" claiming that if you think a child is likely to sleep through the film, there is no harm in taking them to a screening at midnight. Yes there is - the child might wake up, start crying and disturb the other patrons.

Derp.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't care if it was Toy Story 4 premiering. You don't bring a three-month-old to the movies at all let alone at midnight, and a four-year-old should be home in bed. If you can't afford a sitter, then Daddy goes one day and Mommy goes on a different day, they can toss a coin to see who goes first. I see some "experts" claiming that if you think a child is likely to sleep through the film, there is no harm in taking them to a screening at midnight. Yes there is - the child might wake up, start crying and disturb the other patrons.

Derp.
qfDerp.

Just out of consideration for others, you shouldn't bring babies to the theater. Everyone knows it's an expensive place to be, and I don't want part of the movie ruined by your loud kid or the "one time" your baby didn't sleep through the whole movie.

TeamSelig
07-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Derp.

So if the kid starts crying you get out of there?

Ohayou
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
If the child is distracting, it would be respectful to leave.

Dom Heffner
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
This is the perfect time to talk about parenting skills.

What is wrong with you people?

Ohayou
07-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Spare me the sanctimony.

TeamSelig
08-01-2012, 10:04 PM
If the child is distracting, it would be respectful to leave.

Sorry, I meant to say " So? If the child is crying, you get out of there. "

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Heck, I'm asking myself why that 6yo that was shot and killed there. 6 yo girl at Dark Knight? I'm no movie buff, but I've heard it's incredibly violent. Parents can do what they want with a kid, but I can't even imagine taking a 6yo to the movie theater that late to see THAT movie.

In our society, it's acceptable for kids (attended) to go to violent movies but it is not acceptable for them to attend movies that have nudity and sex in them. It's similar to the old George Carlin bit where he says - and I'm paraphrasing - he'd rather his kids see two people making love than killing one another.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
In our society, it's acceptable for kids (attended) to go to violent movies but it is not acceptable for them to attend movies that have nudity and sex in them. It's similar to the old George Carlin bit where he says - and I'm paraphrasing - he'd rather his kids see two people making love than killing one another.
If you ask me for a link, I can probably find one, but studies have shown that children who are exposed to violence on film suffer much greater consequences than children who are exposed to nudity.