PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Bengals Doubleheader Promo

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM
The posters alone are worth checking out the page. Plus a few little nuggets of interest.

Bengals.com link (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-Reds-turn-two/42860d90-2286-48c1-ad27-96281e37f1d1)

Updated: 7-19-12, 12:20 a.m.

Brandon Phillips couldn't wait to display one of the posters bannering this era of bipartisanship on the river between the Bengals and Reds. So before Wednesday's game against Arizona at Great American Ball Park he placed the "Cincinnati's Best Hands" version featuring him and Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green above his locker.

"It's cool to have two Georgia boys on the same poster," Phillips said. "He has good hands and so do I. It's nice."

When the Bengals and Reds unveiled their joint promotion "The Ultimate Cincinnati sports doubleheader" Wednesday, you didn't have to go far to get good football talk in the middle of the Reds locker room in the middle of a steamy pennant race.

It's a small world even in baseball and football. Baker, who played his final seasons in the Bay Area in the mid-'80s when the late Walsh was at the height of his career in San Francisco, struck up the relationship after talking during a 49ers practice.

He can still tick off the most important bits of coaching advice Walsh gave him over a lot of lunches.

"He told me to be aware of the 'Coach Killer,' the so-called player that was trouble on other teams and moved from team to team," Baker said. "Take care of your coaches. And he told me you must require loyalty, honesty, and get rid of the backbiters and complainers, the guys who tend to bring you down."

medford
07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
seriously, dusty has a story for just about every topic.

redsmetz
07-20-2012, 04:27 PM
seriously, dusty has a story for just about every topic.

Well he has been around the track a few times in his life. One tends to collect a load of experiences, particularly when you've been on a big stage.

Vottomatic
07-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I wish Walsh would have given Dusty some advice about making out rosters and strategic moves in a game. :D