PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Ortegon interview

redsof72
07-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Reds Minor League Hitting Coordinator talks about Hamilton, Barnhart, H. Gonzalez, Winker. About four minutes.

http://soundcloud.com/daytondragons/07-20-1-ronnie-ortegon

Scrap Irony
07-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice stuff, 72.

Some highlights:

-- Hamilton's slowed himself down, seen more pitches, and embraced a two-strike approach. Can hit from both sides of the plate with a good swing improved from last season. "A good old kid."
-- Barnhart's really understanding his swing. More ABs mean more confidence. Mental issues more than physical. RH swing needed work.
-- Henry Rodriguez can hit from both sides of the plate. Really improved defensively. Lot better understanding of the strike zone. Can adjust his approach as per his spot in the lineup. One of the better Red hitters in the pipeline.
-- Winker's a hitter. Confident but not arrogant. Trying to refine his batting practice approach. Compared him to Jay Bruce with swing/ leg kick.

Benihana
07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice stuff, 72.

-- Winker's a hitter. Confident but not arrogant. Trying to refine his batting practice approach. Compared him to Jay Bruce with swing/ leg kick.

Interesting. As far as a player goes, Winker doesn't strike me as very similar to Bruce (maybe he just meant the swing). So far (sss alert) Winker is a high OBP with less power and defense guy. Bruce is the exact opposite (high power, good D, lower OBP).

Scrap Irony
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, it was swing-- leg kick, set up, etc.

lollipopcurve
07-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Good stuff. Very high on Winker, which is great to hear.

RED VAN HOT
07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Interesting that H Rod has improved defensively. To me, that improves his ability to profile at 3B. The other part of the missing piece is power and that still has time to develop further.

dougdirt
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Interesting that H Rod has improved defensively. To me, that improves his ability to profile at 3B. The other part of the missing piece is power and that still has time to develop further.

With his size, I don't see his power developing much more. Maybe a 15 home run guy, but that is probably it. His power, home run or otherwise, is entirely limited to the pull side from both sides of the plate.

Scrap Irony
07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
If he can slug .450 (as he has his last two full seasons), he'll be more than fine. A line of .310/ .350/ /450 would be more than enough to plug into a lineup in need of more 800 OPS bats.

dougdirt
07-21-2012, 04:07 PM
If he can slug .450 (as he has his last two full seasons), he'll be more than fine. A line of .310/ .350/ /450 would be more than enough to plug into a lineup in need of more 800 OPS bats.

Certainly. I was just pointing out that his power probably isn't going to improve much and that it is limited to the pull side from both sides.