PDA

View Full Version : Old Guy Getting it Done!

buckeyenut
07-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Lost in Bailey and Chapman's pitching, I wanted to highlight that Scott Rolen is finally starting to heat up. He is 8 for his last 21, at a time when the Reds needed him most with Bruce scuffling and Votto out. If he can stay hot for a couple weeks, it will go a long way towards easing the pain of Votto being out.

I think he is done after this year, but I'd love to see him with the Reds next year as a coach. I would love it if he could finish out the season and his "hall of fame?" career with a stretch drive that carries us to a World Championship. What a story that would be!

lollipopcurve
07-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Lost in Bailey and Chapman's pitching, I wanted to highlight that Scott Rolen is finally starting to heat up. He is 8 for his last 21, at a time when the Reds needed him most with Bruce scuffling and Votto out. If he can stay hot for a couple weeks, it will go a long way towards easing the pain of Votto being out.

I think he is done after this year, but I'd love to see him with the Reds next year as a coach. I would love it if he could finish out the season and his "hall of fame?" career with a stretch drive that carries us to a World Championship. What a story that would be!

Couldn't agree more. Look who's stepping up with Votto out. #27

reds1869
07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I've always loved watching Rolen and I'm thrilled he is having a good stretch in what is likely his final season. Can't wait to see him go out in style.

RollyInRaleigh
07-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Consumate professional.

HokieRed
07-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Couldn't agree more. Look who's stepping up with Votto out. #27

Not a bit surprised.

bellhead
07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd bring Rolen back next year in a heartbeat in the Cairo role.

The Voice of IH
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Rolen has been great but I would still give Frazier the job over him If Votto came back tomorrow.

I also feel that Stubbs has come through in the clutch lately. He went 0fer last night, but previously was ridding a four game hitting streak and had two, two hit games.

alexad
07-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Rolen is VERY CLASSY!! Not sure we can afford a roster spot for him next year. He is close to home so I doubt he plays anywhere else but Cincy.

I was just thinking last night it was time for him to heat up and get the BA to around .250.

Rolen is a leader. Stretching a single into a double is what this team needs right now and he is putting it all on the line.

A few weeks ago at a game I starting calling him Gramps. Now my boys are calling him that (all in good fun). Since that time he has taken off and showed the youngsters he still has a little left in his tank.

I am glad to see him starting to produce.

George Anderson
07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I have immense respect for Scott Rolen. To me he is a complete professional who is a joy to watch with either the stick or glove.

I think alot of times the leadership stuff in the lockerroom stuff is overrated, but my gut instinct tells me having someone like Rolen in the clubhouse is a huge benefit.

buckeyenut
07-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Rolen has been great but I would still give Frazier the job over him If Votto came back tomorrow.

I also feel that Stubbs has come through in the clutch lately. He went 0fer last night, but previously was ridding a four game hitting streak and had two, two hit games.

I wouldn't. If Rolen can OPS even just .750 at 3B, his defense makes him worth keeping in the lineup.

Frazier needs playing time, no doubt, but I give him 1B time when Votto needs a day off, 3B time when Rolen does and let him split time with Ludwick in LF. Then Heisey backs up Stubbs and Bruce.

Raisor
07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
This isn't directed only at rolen, but the rest of the team also: Why does it take Votto going down for the rest of the team to "pick it up"? Doesn't that imply they weren't trying as hard before?

Things I ponder on sleepless nights after a win.

jhu1321
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
This isn't directed only at rolen, but the rest of the team also: Why does it take Votto going down for the rest of the team to "pick it up"? Doesn't that imply they weren't trying as hard before?

Things I ponder on sleepless nights after a win.

Barring the 2 innings of the comeback against the Diamondbacks our offense is still struggling to get the job done. Even last night without a great start from Bailey that was a lose-able game. I was however encouraged by the positive output of Cozart and Bruce who had been awful as of late. Keep it rolling tonight!

Raisor
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Personally I think Rolen is on a hot streak and it has nothing to do with Votto being out. Its just happening at a really good time.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
All the talk about Rolen being done and his bat speed being slow, and the old man references wore on me a little. Players get hot and players also slump. He was in a funk, but now seems to be seeing the ball better and hitting the ball. He's 37, but he still plays a monster third base and, as we saw last night, can hit. Scott Rolen wasn't the problem with the offense anyway. It falls on lineup construction and players at the top of the lineup not producing (kudos to Cozart lately, though). I'm proud to say Scott Rolen has played for my favorite team.

JaxRed
07-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I not only think Rolen's hot streak has nothing to do with Votto being out, I think his hot streak is a fluke. Father Time is undefeated.

DGullett35
07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Sure would be nice for Rolen to stay hot for at least a couple more weeks. Its nice to see Rolen doing good but more important is Jay finally snapped that 0-19 last night. Heres to hoping he gets hot for a month.

Vottomatic
07-21-2012, 09:17 PM
How long before Rolen overtakes Stubbs batting average?

Rolen 1-2 tonight. .211
Stubbs 0-3 so far. .218

Phhhl
07-22-2012, 02:36 AM
I love the way Scott is playing right now. He knows he is running on fumes, but you see him hustling his a** off right now to take the extra base and do everything he can to generate runs, keenly aware the best player on the ballclub is on the shelf and the club has to score runs every possible way. Not to point fingers, but a week ago Saturday Jay Bruce hit a ball into the right field corner and coasted into second base while the right fielder played tidly winks with the baseball. He never scored, even though he had led off the inning.

The point is, Scott can look foolish out there with his diminished skills trying to play a kid's game. But, he doesn't care about style, just substance. That is what being a pro is all about.

Phhhl
07-22-2012, 02:36 AM
I love the way Scott is playing right now. He knows he is running on fumes, but you see him hustling his a** off right now to take the extra base and do everything he can to generate runs, keenly aware the best player on the ballclub is on the shelf and the club has to score runs any way possible. Not to point fingers, but a week ago Saturday Jay Bruce hit a ball into the right field corner and coasted into second base while the right fielder played tidly winks with the baseball. He never scored, even though he had led off the inning and the next guy hit a ball that could have plated a runner from third base.

The point is, Scott can look foolish out there with his diminished skills trying to play a kid's game. But, he doesn't care about style, just substance. That is what being a leader is all about.

_Sir_Charles_
07-22-2012, 12:50 PM
How long before Rolen overtakes Stubbs batting average?

Rolen 1-2 tonight. .211
Stubbs 0-3 so far. .218

I was really hoping that Dusty moving Drew back to leading off and then kind of throwing down the gauntlet at him would result in a turn around. Well, it worked for 4 games.

Arizona series, Stubbs was 6 for 13 with 3 rbi's, 3 walks and 3 k's.
First 2 in Brewskiville....0 for 8 with 0 bb, 1 k.

That being said, he HAS looked better (even in the milwaukee series) with his AB's. I personally still have hope that the light goes on for Drew.

Raisor
07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
I was really hoping that Dusty moving Drew back to leading off and then kind of throwing down the gauntlet at him would result in a turn around. Well, it worked for 4 games.

Arizona series, Stubbs was 6 for 13 with 3 rbi's, 3 walks and 3 k's.
First 2 in Brewskiville....0 for 8 with 0 bb, 1 k.

That being said, he HAS looked better (even in the milwaukee series) with his AB's. I personally still have hope that the light goes on for Drew.

Stubbs has a OPS less then .500 in July.

Dude can't hit RHP at all, and at this point should never get a PA against one.

Hoosier Red
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Personally I think Rolen is on a hot streak and it has nothing to do with Votto being out. Its just happening at a really good time.

Not that this is necessarily the case with Rolen but I do think when a star player gets injured, the other players tighten up the focus a little bit. It's not a question of effort, but every body goes through stretches at their jobs when they feel better and work better than other days. I don't think it's unusual for people in any walk of life to come up bigger when there is more pressure on their shoulders.

_Sir_Charles_
07-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Stubbs has a OPS less then .500 in July.

Dude can't hit RHP at all, and at this point should never get a PA against one.

I can't really argue against that. But let's remember that his performance against RH's is at an all-time low this season. He hasn't normally been QUITE this bad.

That being said, some guys take longer for the lightbulb to go on. It's looking more and more like it's a broken bulb...but I still have hope. I'm kinda delusional like that I guess.

mth123
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
I can't really argue against that. But let's remember that his performance against RH's is at an all-time low this season. He hasn't normally been QUITE this bad.

That being said, some guys take longer for the lightbulb to go on. It's looking more and more like it's a broken bulb...but I still have hope. I'm kinda delusional like that I guess.

When he came up, they challenged him more. Now they know to just throw breaking balls and, as long as they don't hang them, he can't hit them. I'd say his previous success is less likely to recur than his current struggles. Guy's in that 2nd or 3rd year, "the league adjusted and I don't have any tricks left to counter it with," spiral.

He's a 5th OF who plays defense, runs and plays against LHP. That can be useful, but its not a guy who should be leading off for a play-off team.

klw
07-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Oh the "old guy" is 12 1/2 years younger than Jamie Moyer.

DGullett35
07-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Rolen with a triple last night. the guy really is playing hard right now. hes got to be the unofficial captain of this ballclub. Guys like him that hit lower in the lineup are going to be counted on more than ever with Votto out for a couple more weeks

Raisor
07-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Rolen with a triple last night. the guy really is playing hard right now.
Was he not playing "hard" before?

mth123
07-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I like Rolen, but before we cannonize him for running out a triple, remember that he also was thrown out at home by running against a drawn in IF instead of waiting for the ground ball to go through. Wasn't a smart play IMO. Need to be sure that ball goes through.

DGullett35
07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Was he not playing "hard" before?

I think he was a little more cautious about what he did until here recently. He always hustles but I dont remember the last time he went the extra mile by legging out a double and then the triple the other night. Maybe hes finally realized no matter what he does hes still going to be sore the next day and that his shoulder is going to bother him until he hangs up the cleats. Just seems like hes got it into another gear than what we've seen since probably the first half of 2010

traderumor
07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Was he not playing "hard" before?The announcers have been going on about guys stepping it up in Votto's absence, which makes me ask the same question. Brantley suggests that its an increased focus. I say its a bunch of bologna and guys are just continuing to do what they do, and the pitching is dominating at a most critical time of the season.