PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 7/22/12 Minor-League Updates

mace
07-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Pensacola gets a 2-hit, 1-0 shutout today, and it's not Cingrani, not Corcino, not Lotzkar, not Sulbaran. Wirfin Obispo: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. The rest was De La Rosa, Hayes, Pearl, and two innings for the save from Curtis Partch.

Billy went 3-4 with a 2B, no steals and a CS. He scored the only run. LaMarre and Greene had two hits, Fellhauer a 2B and the RBI.

mace
07-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Dayton fell 6-2. Waldrop had 2 hits and 3B, Arias 2 hits and a 2B. Dan Jensen took the loss.

RedLegsToday
07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Billy rulz

j_m_t_us
07-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Pensacola gets a 2-hit, 1-0 shutout today, and it's not Cingrani, not Corcino, not Lotzkar, not Sulbaran. Wirfin Obispo: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. The rest was De La Rosa, Hayes, Pearl, and two innings for the save from Curtis Partch.

Billy went 3-4 with a 2B, no steals and a CS. He scored the only run. LaMarre and Greene had two hits, Fellhauer a 2B and the RBI.

LaMarre's went 9 for 19 .475 last 5 games and Greene has gone 8 for 16 .500 last 4 games! Nice production by these two guys in mobile!

Scrap Irony
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Waldrop runs hot and cold. I don't really know what to make of him. His overall numbers aren't anything to write home about, but he has weeks that make him really interesting. He's young enough to get better too.

Next season, I fully expect him to mash in Bakersfield (and for others to make hay in A+). The season after that, I fully expect him to struggle in Pensacola. (So far this season, that park's playing like a cavern.)

It might take three years before you know what you've got with him.

As for Hamilton, after today's game, his AA numbers: .333/ .455/ .528/ .982. 8:7 BB:K ratio. Great, great start for Hamilton in AA. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season, he may very well get a shot at leading off for Cincinnati next season. The best thing about Hamilton's AA starts is that he's been on base every game he's been there. Love that in a leadoff guy. Having said all this, it's still only 11 games. He's still got 30 games or so to go.

With Hamilton in AA and HRod in AAA (not to mention Bryson Smith in AA), the Reds suddenly have guys who can hit. And all of them are at defense-first spots. Add in other depth (LaMarre, Soto, Puckett, Gregorius, perhaps Beau Mills) and the Reds have some offensive help to add to their young core at a fraction of the cost.

Scrap Irony
07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
LaMarre's went 9 for 19 .475 last 5 games and Greene has gone 8 for 16 .500 last 4 games! Nice production by these two guys in mobile!

I wonder how much Hamilton being on base helps the guys behind him. You'd think more fastballs would come as a result of his speed. Lohman has certainly struggled since he left Bakersfield. LaMarre's hit a hot streak recently. Lutz hit really well with Hamilton in front of him, then has kinda struggled without him there.

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Billy is not allowed to get on base 3x and not come away with a steal. Simply inexcusable. I say trade him for a "player to be named later" or "cash considerations." (Yeah, we'll consider giving you cash. Then we won't.)

On a serious note, really looking forward to the Nick Travieso debut tonight.

j_m_t_us
07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I wonder how much Hamilton being on base helps the guys behind him. You'd think more fastballs would come as a result of his speed. Lohman has certainly struggled since he left Bakersfield. LaMarre's hit a hot streak recently. Lutz hit really well with Hamilton in front of him, then has kinda struggled without him there.

Lutz has had a hard time so far in AA.

mace
07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Seth Mejias-Brean is starting to strut his stuff. He's 3-3 tonight with a triple, up to .396.

Jesse Winker left the game after popping out to SS.

Ismael Guillon gave up one run in 3.1 IP. He walked four.

Billings leads 5-1 in the sixth.

JayBruceFan
07-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Just a note about Waldrop's triple, it was stand up and he got there without a throw. It was rather impressive

Superdude
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Mejias-Brean goes 5-5 with a walk and misses the cycle by a homerun. Not a bad day at the office. Showing some solid plate discipline so far as well.

mace
07-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Mejias-Brean goes 5-5 with a walk and misses the cycle by a homerun. Not a bad day at the office. Showing some solid plate discipline so far as well.

Billings won that one 13-8. Taylor Wrenn had four hits, as well, Jeff Gelalich three; 20 in all for the Mustangs. Alejandro Chacin settled things down with two scoreless innings (3 K) for the save.

Mejias-Brean is hitting .420.

mace
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Travieso's first professional inning goes in order, with one K.

Eric the Red
07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Per Keith Law on twitter, Travieso was 90-92 in his first inning.

mace
07-22-2012, 10:30 PM
That's it for Travieso. Wandy Peralta takes over in the second.

Vottomatic
07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Travieso's 3 outs - 2 groundouts and 1 K.

Scrap Irony
07-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I realize it's only two weeks worth of games, but Mejias-Brean's 21. I'd send him to Dayton right now. Junior Arias is sporting a robust .527 OPS. and fielding below .900. There's a huge cavern at the hot corner in Dayton and Mejias-Brean could do himself and the Red pipeline a huge service in filling it.

Superdude
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I realize it's only two weeks worth of games, but Mejias-Brean's 21. I'd send him to Dayton right now. Junior Arias is sporting a robust .527 OPS. and fielding below .900. There's a huge cavern at the hot corner in Dayton and Mejias-Brean could do himself and the Red pipeline a huge service in filling it.

Yea this needs to happen. It's a shame such a great affiliate has had to bear such an uninspiring team all year long. Arias is WAY over his head in Dayton. If I remember, we spent a good chunk of change to sign him too. Really have to wonder what the scouts saw in him.

redsof72
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
SMB hitting .420. Arias in Dayton-have I said that when trying to understand roster decisions, follow the money. This one is still quite absurd. Arias is the worst eveyday player in the league, and you have .420.

mace
07-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Tanner Robles is quite fond of the California League. After his 5.2 strong innings tonight, his Bakersfield ERA sits at 1.93. The Blaze lead 8-2 in the eighth. Travis Mattair is 3-4 with his 16th HR. D'Anna, Selsky (.336) and Berset have also gone deep.

redsof72
07-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Prediction: by midweek-SMB and Gelalich to DAY. YRod to BAK. Can I hit on 2 out of 3 at least?

JayBruceFan
07-23-2012, 05:03 AM
You may be right on one of those predictions, if not more

mace
07-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Bakersfield rolled 10-3. Mattair (HR) and Bowe (2B) were both 3-5.

partisan
07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Prediction: by midweek-SMB and Gelalich to DAY. YRod to BAK. Can I hit on 2 out of 3 at least?

They need to move some sort of players to Dayton, I haven't been to nearly as many games as I did last year. It's not that I don't want to support the players currently there, it's just the talent on last years team forced me to spend some extra bucks and show up.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM

That makes sense. How about sending Winker and Stephenson to Dayton as well?

I know people don't want to rush Stephenson, but sending a guy to Dayton after he's dominated Billings 14 months after being drafted in the first round is NOT rushing him. In fact, has there been another HS pitcher drafted in the first round who was still pitching in rookie league 14 months after being drafted...in the last 5 years?

If it were up to me, the Dayton OF for the next two months would be Waldrop, Gelalich, and Winker. The Bakersfield OF would be Y-Rod, Bowe, and Silva. Juan Duran could probably be the DH- either in Bakersfield or even Dayton to try to get him going (like Y-Rod did).

dougdirt
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
That makes sense. How about sending Winker and Stephenson to Dayton as well?

I know people don't want to rush Stephenson, but sending a guy to Dayton after he's dominated Billings 14 months after being drafted in the first round is NOT rushing him. In fact, has there been another HS pitcher drafted in the first round who was still pitching in rookie league 14 months after being drafted...in the last 5 years?

Taylor Guerrieri is pitching in the New York-Penn League right now. He went 24th overall last year. Tyler Beede hasn't made his debut yet, though he may be injured.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Taylor Guerrieri is pitching in the New York-Penn League right now. He went 24th overall last year. Tyler Beede hasn't made his debut yet, though he may be injured.

Guerrieri is in short season A (not rookie) and Beede never signed- he is pitching for Auburn. Anyone else?

dougdirt
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Guerrieri is in short season A (not rookie) and Beede never signed- he is pitching for Auburn. Anyone else?

Short season is the same thing as rookie ball. They try and trick you with its designation, but it is the same thing.

Beede not signing certainly explains a lot.

Benihana
07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Got my wish re: Stephenson.

Hopefully Mejias-Brean, Gelalich and Winker aren't far behind.