PDA

View Full Version : Dempster to the Braves?

kaldaniels
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Details coming.

Tom Servo
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Pretty good pickup for Atlanta considering their starting pitching has been surprisingly unproductive overall.

WildcatFan
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
This may make them the favorite in the East going forward. I love Washington's pitching, but those bats....

Brutus
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Is this for certain? I saw it on Twitter a bit ago, but was still in the rumor stage.

I'm guessing they wouldn't give up Teheran as part of the deal. But I'm sure they gave up a huge package regardless.

Nathan
07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Finally, someone willing to set the market in motion. This trading stand off has been frustrating.

OldXOhio
07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Glad it wasn't the Cardinals or Pirates

WildcatFan
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Is this for certain? I saw it on Twitter a bit ago, but was still in the rumor stage.

I'm guessing they wouldn't give up Teheran as part of the deal. But I'm sure they gave up a huge package regardless.

Came from an official MLB tweet. It didn't say who Atlanta gave up. Dempster had a no-trade clause, but Atlanta was second on his list behind the Dodgers.

VottoFan54
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/braves-acquire-ryan-dempster.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Braves and Cubs have agreed to a trade that will send Ryan Dempster to Atlanta, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports (on Twitter). The right-hander can veto any trade, but he is not likely to demand an extension in order to approve the deal, according to Jon Heyman. Randall Delgado could be going to Chicago in the deal, Bowman adds

Dan
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
They're saying Randall Delgado could be going to the Cubs

Benihana
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
They're saying Randall Delgado could be going to the Cubs

Nice pickup for the Cubs if true...unfortunately.

I've been a critic of Theo in the past as I think he has a tendency to be overrated, but I think he's done well so far in rebuilding the Cubs. The Rizzo deal in particular looks pretty good, and Wood hasn't been bad for them either.

Tom Servo
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Nice pickup for the Cubs if true...unfortunately.

I've been a critic of Theo in the past as I think he has a tendency to be overrated, but I think he's done well so far in rebuilding the Cubs. The Rizzo deal in particular looks pretty good, and Wood hasn't been bad for them either.
I think the Rizzo deal could work out well for both sides should Cashner become more durable, because he has ridiculous stuff.

Dan
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
So, Delgado is the main part of the package going back for Dempster.

How does that translate to what it might cost for the Reds to pick up one of their targets? Does it, say, bring down the price for an Upton or Span?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Glad it wasn't the Cardinals or Pirates

This is good for us, at least this year, since we play the Cubs a handful of times still and would likely face Dempster at least two more times. It seems like, against Dempster, if we don't get him in the first inning he settles into a groove and is virtually unhittable the rest of the game. Glad we don't have to face him again, at least in the regular season.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I think the Rizzo deal could work out well for both sides should Cashner become more durable, because he has ridiculous stuff.

Agreed, although because the Cubs were using Cashner as a reliever, I think it's always good to deal a reliever (with a career ERA over 4) for a young slugging 1B.

The misuse of Cashner probably annoyed Cubs fans like Chapman does Reds fans. He could be a great starter for SD if he can stay healthy.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
IF they keep Garza, the Cubs could have a pretty nice 1-2-3 in a couple years with Garza-Smardzjia-Delgado

However, that still doesn't hold a candle to the 1-2-3 of Cueto-Latos-Bailey/Chapman :devil:

Nathan
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
IF they keep Garza, the Cubs could have a pretty nice 1-2-3 in a couple years with Garza-Smardzjia-Delgado

However, that still doesn't hold a candle to the 1-2-3 of Cueto-Latos-Bailey/Chapman :devil:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/cubs-dodgers-discussing-garza-for-zach-lee-swap.html

bucksfan2
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I think Chicago sold Dempster when his value was maximized. I have a feeling he is likely to suffer a regression after 30+ scoreless innings.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I think Chicago sold Dempster when his value was maximized. I have a feeling he is likely to suffer a regression after 30+ scoreless innings.

Agreed. Unfortunately, Theo is positioning the Cubs well for 2014-2018.

Tom Servo
07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
The misuse of Cashner probably annoyed Cubs fans like Chapman does Reds fans. He could be a great starter for SD if he can stay healthy.
At least we have the excuse of having 5 good starters. I mean, Chicago last year was throwing out Rodrigo Lopez and Doug Davis to make a combined 25 starts when Cashner was right there. :dunno:

Brutus
07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Ryan Dempster says, 'not so fast my friends.' Dempster said "there is no trade" rather emphatically.

Apparently talk of the trade being done is premature.

RedEye
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like it was rather recent that the Reds dealt for Dempster? That didn't work out so well though...

bucksfan2
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately, Theo is positioning the Cubs well for 2014-2018.

The ironic thing about the Cubs is they have a number of tradable pieces. Marshall and Dempster have been moved, Soriano, Garza, DeJesus all could be moved this season. Then you have a guy like Starlin Castro that many clubs would be all over trading for.

A front 4 of Garza, Dempster, Samardzija, and Wood isn't that bad. A middle of the order of DeJesus, Castro, Soriano really isn't that bad. The Cubs suck right now I guess my bigger question is why?

LoganBuck
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Seeing some twitter scuttlebutt that the Cubs are stepping on the block, and they want to secure a return on their guys. Dempster, then Garza, then anyone else including Soriano.

Tom Servo
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
The Cubs suck right now I guess my bigger question is why?
Because they're the Cubs.

LoganBuck
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
The ironic thing about the Cubs is they have a number of tradable pieces. Marshall and Dempster have been moved, Soriano, Garza, DeJesus all could be moved this season. Then you have a guy like Starlin Castro that many clubs would be all over trading for.

A front 4 of Garza, Dempster, Samardzija, and Wood isn't that bad. A middle of the order of DeJesus, Castro, Soriano really isn't that bad. The Cubs suck right now I guess my bigger question is why?

No frontline bat, no true frontline pitcher, back of the bullpen a mess. My extended family bleeds Cubbie blue. Several of which are serious fans in the frame that we play fantasy baseball, and talk stats. Those types believe that the Cubs of the last few years resemble the Reds of 2002-2007. Some youngsters coming up, but paying the price for sins of the past. Bad drafts, bad contracts, bad ownership decisions. Yes they have some minor league talent coming, yes they have Castro and Rizzo (a Phillips and Votto comparison). Yes they have a hard throwing young enigmatic right hander Samardzija.(their Homer Bailey). There aren't Aroldis Chapmans, Jay Bruces, and Johnny Cuetos getting ready to walk through the door. They don't have the ammunition to make a dramatic trade (Latos), and their minor league talent isn't seasoned and ready(Cozart, Mesoraco, Frazier). They don't have a single veteran leader(Rolen). They are a mess that needs rebuilt.

OldXOhio
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
The Cubs suck right now I guess my bigger question is why?

What'd Jesus say to the Cubs?

A: "Don't do anything til I get back"

Benihana
07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Because they're the Cubs.

:beerme:

Kc61
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm going out on a limb. Fearless prediction.

The Reds will trade for David DeJesus.

If the Cubbies are trading Dempster, there's no reason on earth they shouldn't trade DeJesus. Relatively high salary, older player, not a future oriented guy.

DeJesus fits the Reds needs IMO. Cubs and Reds have done business before.

Feel free to continue with the Dempster discussion. Sorry for the interruption.

Brutus
07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
What'd Jesus say to the Cubs?

A: "Don't do anything til I get back"

Nominated.

bucksfan2
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
No frontline bat, no true frontline pitcher, back of the bullpen a mess. My extended family bleeds Cubbie blue. Several of which are serious fans in the frame that we play fantasy baseball, and talk stats. Those types believe that the Cubs of the last few years resemble the Reds of 2002-2007. Some youngsters coming up, but paying the price for sins of the past. Bad drafts, bad contracts, bad ownership decisions. Yes they have some minor league talent coming, yes they have Castro and Rizzo (a Phillips and Votto comparison). Yes they have a hard throwing young enigmatic right hander Samardzija.(their Homer Bailey). There aren't Aroldis Chapmans, Jay Bruces, and Johnny Cuetos getting ready to walk through the door. They don't have the ammunition to make a dramatic trade (Latos), and their minor league talent isn't seasoned and ready(Cozart, Mesoraco, Frazier). They don't have a single veteran leader(Rolen). They are a mess that needs rebuilt.

Its an apt comparison except for their starting staff. A rotation of Dempster, Garza, Samardzija, and Wood trumps pretty much anything that the Reds ran out in those years.

Its almost like the Cubs are thought to be bad and they play up to that level. Over the past number of years they have had a number of awful contracts (Soriano and Fukadome come to mind). But as of the end of last year they had quite a few good players to be as bad as they currently are. They have more talent than the AAAstros and maybe more talent than the Pirates, yet continue to play like Cubbies.

klw
07-23-2012, 04:31 PM
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/227499844422471680

The #Braves and #Cubs simply waiting for Dempster's approval

15fan
07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I hope this trade pans out for the Braves as well as the trades for Rick Ankiel, Kyle Farnsworth, Alex Gonzalez, Nate McLouth, Mark Teixiera, and Melky Cabrera did.

Vottomatic
07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
What is Dempster holding out for? An extension? :D

Seems like a good pitcher stuck with the Cubs would want to go to a contender.

bucksfan2
07-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Other than the fact that you have to put on Cubs jersey, playing baseball in Chicago during the summer is nice.

Homer Bailey
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Dempster lives within walking distance of the stadium. He used to ride his bike by my apartment on the way to every game. He's got a good life here. Sometimes its not always about baseball. He's got a wife and family that probably love it here.

kaldaniels
07-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Uh oh, Ryan wants to go to LA.

klw
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Uh oh, Ryan wants to go to LA.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster-does-not-want-trade-atlanta-braves-los-angeles-dodgers-072412

Chicago Cubs right-hander Ryan Dempster does not want to be traded to the Atlanta Braves, according to major-league sources.

At least not right now.

Dempster, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, the last five with the same team, has the right to block a trade to the Braves.

The pitcher instead wants to be sent to the Los Angeles Dodgers, who were unable to reach agreement with the Cubs on a suitable deal, sources said.

Dempster, 35, had indicated that the Dodgers were his first choice and the Braves were his second. With the non-waiver deadline still a week away, there is still time for the Cubs and Dodgers to negotiate a suitable trade. The Dodgers remain interested in Dempster, but their talks with the Cubs reached a stalemate, sources said.

If Dempster approves a trade, he might only be with his new team only for a short period of time. But he still would prefer to be on the west coast, one source said.

Dempster, a native of Gibsons, British Columbia, still has family in the Vancouver area. He has three children – Brady, 5; Riley, 3; and Finlay, 1 – and wants them to be close to his relatives, sources said.

OldXOhio
07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
The proximity of LA to Vancouver thing makes sense. After all, there's nothing like being right around the corner from family....or in this case within 1300 miles.

RedlegJake
07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
You'd think he'd want to pitch for Seattle. Big pitcher friendly stadium and really close to home. Hey they don't lose any more than the Cubs!

PuffyPig
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
The proximity of LA to Vancouver thing makes sense. After all, there's nothing like being right around the corner from family....or in this case within 1300 miles.

There a many direct daily flights from Vancouver to LA and they take less than 3 hours. And you are in the same time zone.

You want to go from Vancouver to Atlanta, it's a 3 hour time zone difference, and the two flights you take will run you 9 hours plus.

That's a huge difference in my mind.

Chip R
07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
There a many direct daily flights from Vancouver to LA and they take less than 3 hours. And you are in the same time zone.

You want to go from Vancouver to Atlanta, it's a 3 hour time zone difference, and the two flights you take will run you 9 hours plus.

That's a huge difference in my mind.

True but how often is he going to go from ATL to VAN during the season? He's eligible for free agency after the season so he can choose a team closer to home after the season is over. If he's being sincere than SEA should have the inside track on signing him. But I don't think that will happen.

Patrick Bateman
07-24-2012, 03:47 PM
True but how often is he going to go from ATL to VAN during the season? He's eligible for free agency after the season so he can choose a team closer to home after the season is over. If he's being sincere than SEA should have the inside track on signing him. But I don't think that will happen.

Presumably there are a few off days this would afford him the option of doing so, that would not have time for in Atlanta.

Also, he presumably would be interested in opening up contract talks with LA after the trade, something he could not do with Atlanta. May see this beyond a 1 and done.

PuffyPig
07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

Maybe he's thinking morer about his family flying out to see him. But more likely he'd rather go to a team to see if he'd consider signing there after the season.

westofyou
07-24-2012, 04:40 PM

1300 miles is a lot in the Midwest or east coast, not so much out west, staying in the time zone is a treat. It's a big world out here, 600 miles from Portland to San Francisco with a lot of nothing in between... just lots of trees and mountains.

Make your case Dempster, don't forget to thank Curt Flood

WildcatFan
07-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Glad to see Dempster's gonna stick around for one more start against Pittsburgh before he goes to LA or ATL.

Benihana
07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Glad to see the Cubbies have no leverage, and won't be getting Randall Delgado (or hopefully a prospect equivalent from the Dodgers). Always good to see the Cubbies doing badly.

Vottomatic
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/7/25/3185608/cubs-dodgers-ryan-dempster-trade-remains-realistic

Buster Olney now saying Cubs will hold onto Dempster and take the draft compensation after making him an offer this upcoming offseason. Says they'd have to be blown away to trade him now. In other words, Dodgers lowballing them to acquire Dempster.

15fan
07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
So at the end of the day...

The Braves lose. No Dempster to bolster their rotation.

The Cubs lose. They play out the string with a bona fide starting pitcher and it will be next season before they get to draft anyone, stalling any Dempster-related rebuilding steps for 12 months.

The Dodgers lose. They either pay through the nose to get Dempster, or don't get him at all.

:thumbup:

klw
07-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Nah the Dodgers will up their offer over the weekend and land him.

Big Klu
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Jim and Chris said that the Braves have turned their attention to Greinke.

DGullett35
07-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Dodgers going all in. According to MLB network they would like to work out a deal for both Pence and Victorino

klw
07-26-2012, 07:51 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/the-kapman

Team Theo and Co. are looking at a number of scenarios, with sources telling me this afternoon that a multi-team trade that would send Ryan Dempster to his preferred destination, the Los Angeles Dodgers while netting the Cubs a handful of prospects built around starting pitching is getting closer to happening.

Epstein reportedly was livid when the deal with the Braves fell through and it appears for good reason as a handful of scouts that I spoke with in other organizations felt that the Cubs had made a tremendous deal getting Randall Delgado for essentially a two-to-three month rental.

The Cubs have made it clear to other teams that they are open for business on almost anybody on the roster and are having extensive conversations with nearly every team in the playoff hunt.

Several players could play key roles on a contender and Cubs management is doing all they can to close a handful of deals to restock a farm system that was among the worst in the game when they took over, especially from a pitching standpoint.