PDA

View Full Version : Marlins React: Sanchez and Infante for Turner

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow. They know how to be decisive, I know that.

The Tigers acquired Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez from the Marlins, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets. The Marlins will acquire Jacob Turner in the deal, MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports (on Twitter).

The Marlins are extremely disappointed by their team's performance and are prepared to make a series of trades, Ken Rosenthal and Morosi report (on Twitter).

Benihana
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Cinreds21, what's the word?

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Tie!

I think we will see trades for mid level players increase. Players that won't carry a franchise for any substantial amount of time, but will provide a short term boost. There's a year left on Infante's deal, but Sanchez is a FA next year. So, two solid good MLB players with 1 extra year on one of them for a top 25 prospect in Turner. And a trigger happy ownership. Interesting.

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
The Marlins are extremely disappointed by their team's performance and are prepared to make a series of trades, Ken Rosenthal and Morosi report (on Twitter). Josh Johnson, Randy Choate and Carlos Lee are among the team's possible trade chips.

:confused: They just got Carlos Lee!

hebroncougar
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
I, for one, couldn't be happier that the Marlins are floundering. Hiring Ozzie Guillen was idiotic.

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
4:59pm: The teams also swap the picks they obtained in last week's competitive balance lottery, Peter Gammons of MLB Network tweets. The Marlins obtain prospects Rob Brantly and Brian Flynn along with Turner, Gammons tweets.

So there's that too. Perhaps 2012 is a financial success already with the new stadium and they can just fold up and go home. I don't know.

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I, for one, couldn't be happier that the Marlins are floundering. Hiring Ozzie Guillen was idiotic.

You actually mean trading for Ozzie!

dougdirt
07-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Wonder if the Tigers saw Justin Turner as Rick Porcello part II? Heralded prospect, but the results never quite matched the hype. Both guys were top 25 prospects, but struggled to miss bats and were groundball pitchers.

Kc61
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Emilio Bonifacio?

Logan Morrison?

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Wonder if the Tigers saw Justin Turner as Rick Porcello part II? Heralded prospect, but the results never quite matched the hype. Both guys were top 25 prospects, but struggled to miss bats and were groundball pitchers.

Yeah I don't know the whole story other than both arms are/were very young for their level, perhaps rushed?

dougdirt
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah I don't know the whole story other than both arms are/were very young for their level, perhaps rushed?

Porcello was clearly rushed. He went from drafted in year 1 to A+ in Year 2 to the Majors in Year 3. So he had 1 minor league season under his belt, out of high school, before finding himself in the Majors.

Turner took a little longer, but also moved up very quickly.

cinreds21
07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Cinreds21, what's the word?

What you wanna know?

mdccclxix
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
What you wanna know?

Do you like this move? What's it mean for 2012?

cinreds21
07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Do you like this move? What's it mean for 2012?

Oh I like it. Anibal was gone come October so it was either get prospects or a draft pick for him. I like Brantly, as he fills the catching void we will have after next year (if not sooner.) I never really thought about Infante being traded until recently because he just signed a new deal but he is really expendable. I only wish they could have snagged Bruce Rondon as well but I am fine with the package the Marlins received.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Wait, the Tigers got the Marlins first round lottery pick? If you ask me, this is a pretty great trade for Detroit.

Brutus
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
I still don't get why people bring up Stanton (though I'll add he hasn't yet been brought up in this thread, but I know that's where it was heading). Even if the Marlins unload some parts, I doubt very much they'd consider trading Stanton unless receiving a return so ghastly it would not be worth it for any club to do. While he'll be arbitration eligible very soon, they'll have him for four more years and money won't be as big an issue as it was previously. Not enough to trade him this soon, IMHO.

cinreds21
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Brutus, fear not, Giancarlo is going no where.

Benihana
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM
If the Reds can't get Upton or Fowler, I'll take LoMo please. You can have your choice of Lotzkar/Sulbaran and Heisey/Stubbs.

Vottomatic
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I dunno. I think the Marlins listen to a trade offer that includes Chapman, Hamilton and Corcino. More parts added, but I bet they think about trading Stanton at that point.

powersackers
07-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Detroit s(t)eals the Division with this trade.

Gallen5862
07-23-2012, 08:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Tigers Acquire Omar Infante, Anibal Sanchez
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 23 at 4:59pm CST]
4:59pm: The teams also swap the picks they obtained in last week's competitive balance lottery, Peter Gammons of MLB Network tweets. The Marlins obtain prospects Rob Brantly and Brian Flynn along with Turner, Gammons tweets. The Tigers will now have the last pick in compensation round A (after the first round), while the Marlins will have the final pick in compensation round B (after the second round).

redsmetz
07-23-2012, 09:19 PM
My son just lamented on Twitter being in a NL only fantasy league (as I am too) and having the Marlins just trade two of his players to the AL. Ouch.

camisadelgolf
07-23-2012, 10:16 PM
My son just lamented on Twitter being in a NL only fantasy league (as I am too) and having the Marlins just trade two of his players to the AL. Ouch.
Yup. The same thing happened to me. I had even been in trade talks about them, too, but couldn't complete a deal in time.

Sabo Fan
07-23-2012, 11:25 PM
So I'm not the prospect expert that many others are around here, but from what little I know about Jacob Turner, I felt like he was one of the premier pitching prospects in the game. Am I wrong in thinking that when you offer that guy around the league you should be able to do better than a journeyman MI (granted he's had a decent year) and a free agent to be with an ERA just a shade under 4.00? I'm not saying that the Tigers got ripped off and the Marlins clearly won the deal, but in reviewing this trade, that was my knee-jerk, complete-lack-of-research reaction.

dougdirt
07-23-2012, 11:29 PM
So I'm not the prospect expert that many others are around here, but from what little I know about Jacob Turner, I felt like he was one of the premier pitching prospects in the game. Am I wrong in thinking that when you offer that guy around the league you should be able to do better than a journeyman MI (granted he's had a decent year) and a free agent to be with an ERA just a shade under 4.00? I'm not saying that the Tigers got ripped off and the Marlins clearly won the deal, but in reviewing this trade, that was my knee-jerk, complete-lack-of-research reaction.

His stock has gone down some since the end of last year. Control hasn't been that good and his strikeouts are down significantly.

muddie
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
With this trade, the Detroit Tigers now have three former Carolina Mudcats on their ML roster.
(Miggy, Berry, and Sanchez)

I liked Jacob Turner and believe he is a good pick up for Miami. Brantly is a good pick up too. I've seen him play with Erie and Toledo this year and like the guy.