PDA

View Full Version : The Dylan Bundy project by SI...

bellhead
07-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Wanted to link this article as I feel it's a great article on developing a young pitcher and it discusses different philosophies that are in play in developing them..:beerme::beerme:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/07/23/dylan-bundy/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

RedlegJake
07-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Those numbers are very sobering indeed. It makes one very glad the Reds were so cautious with Stephenson and are starting slowly with Travieso. Pamper those arms like the gold that they really are.

dougdirt
07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Those numbers are very sobering indeed. It makes one very glad the Reds were so cautious with Stephenson and are starting slowly with Travieso. Pamper those arms like the gold that they really are.

Teams have began doing that. I have been saying for years, that given enough time, that around the 2000 mark, we are going to look back and start seeing a whole lot more high school pitcher success stories because teams stopped abusing their arms and treating them the same as college arms.

RED VAN HOT
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
We have all noticed the Reds following a far more conservative approach in limiting innings of young pitchers. Does anyone have further knowledge of what they are doing in the rookie leagues regarding bio-mechanics, development of secondary pitches and the art of pitching? It has occurred to me that they are using the short 2-3 inning stints as a chance to apply specific things that they have been working on between starts. A pitcher will not advance to a more competitive league until he has demonstrated some mastery of these objectives even if he is getting people out. I suspect that this applies to college starters who have already thrown 70+ innings before being drafted. Moscot and Langfield come to mind. As I said, this is conjecture on my part. Anyone have specifics regarding changes in pitcher development?