PDA

View Full Version : Wandy to Pirates

brad1176
07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like Wandy Rodriguez is almost a Pirate.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like Wandy Rodriguez is almost a Pirate.

Oh goody, Wandy with a pretty good defense behind him!

Vottomatic
07-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Good. I hope he pitches against us every remaining series they play us. The Reds have roughed him up atleast twice this season.

brad1176
07-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Good. I hope he pitches against us every remaining series they play us. The Reds have roughed him up atleast twice this season.

This was my thought too.

dougdirt
07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Sure, we may do well against him lately, but you know he is going to face the rest of the league 10 times this year and has done very well against them....

07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Hoping the Pirates gave up one of their prized pitching prospects to get him.

mattfeet
07-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Good for the Pirates, but I don't see this as a game-changer by any means.

Vottomatic
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Sure, we may do well against him lately, but you know he is going to face the rest of the league 10 times this year and has done very well against them....

Wandy has 21 starts so far. 12 of them have been quality starts (6+ IP, 3 or less earned runs).

His hits/9 IP are slightly up compared to his career. And other than his rookie season, his K/9 is at a career low. I'd have to ask if he is on the decline?

jhu1321
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Just hugged teammates in the dugout and headed to the tunnel. I'd say it's official.

dougdirt
07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Wandy has 21 starts so far. 12 of them have been quality starts (6+ IP, 3 or less earned runs).

His hits/9 IP are slightly up compared to his career. And other than his rookie season, his K/9 is at a career low. I'd have to ask if he is on the decline?

4th year in a row that the strikeout rate has declined. I would imagine he is on the decline some, but he is still a quality pitcher.

Reds Fanatic
07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Players involved are not official but this may be one

From Jon Heyman CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS

Is any player involved? Alen Hanson of Low A West Virginia was pulled in 1st inning

Also this triggers an option for next year

yes, wandy deal is thru 2014. trade triggers $13M player option for '14. still $30M to go. "stros send $ to #bucs

VottoFan54
07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
From Jon Morosi:

So far, it’s Wandy Rodriguez for OF Robbie Grossman and SS/2B Alen Hanson. Working to see if other names are involved.

VottoFan54
07-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Also from Morosi:

Correction: Hanson not in deal. Pirates get LHP Wandy Rodriguez & cash from #Astros for Rudy Owens, Colton Cain and Robbie Grossman.

Virginia Beach Reds
07-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Let's see what the Reds do. Who does Wandy replace in that vulnerable rotation?

07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Also from Morosi:

Mostly marginal prospects. Nice pieces, but no impact prospect.

Reds Fanatic
07-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Let's see what the Reds do. Who does Wandy replace in that vulnerable rotation?

According to Ken Rosenthal most likely it will be Correia who is replaced.

VottoFan54
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
From Jon Heyman:

#pirates $ obligation is $1.7M in '12, $8.5M in '13, $7.5M in '14 (assuming wandy exercises option). stros pay about $12M

VottoFan54
07-24-2012, 10:22 PM
dp

sonny
07-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Clearly this is a knee-jerk reaction to the Will Ohman signing.

savafan
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM
The Pirates made a bid to acquire Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino, but talks hit a snag with Philly asked for right-hander Brad Lincoln, tweets Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Superdude
07-24-2012, 11:31 PM
The Pirates made a bid to acquire Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino, but talks hit a snag with Philly asked for right-hander Brad Lincoln, tweets Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Wait a second! By the rules of the transitive property, we should be able to trade Ondrusek for Brad Lincoln. Pull the trigger Walt!

wlf WV
07-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Whatever you think about the deal,it certainly doesn't help us,this year or next.

mbgrayson
07-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Wandy has always been a better 'home' pitcher than a 'road' pitcher. His ERA in Houston is over a full run lower over the last three years at home than on the road.

Yet PNC is certainly more of a pitcher's park.... We shall see. At age 33, I'm not sure he is worth the cost. But he might be a big help for the Pirates, who knows... This is a guy that has a sub 4 ERA every year since 2008.

mth123
07-25-2012, 01:37 AM
Wandy is a lefty. The Reds do well against lefty pitching. Should help us head to head with Pittsburgh. The real question is whether this sets up the Pirates to deal a starter for a bat.

gilpdawg
07-25-2012, 07:41 AM
This move improves their team, but not by a huge amount. PECOTA has Wandy worth 0.6 WAR and Correia 0.1. I'm not as high on Correia. He's bad. He's been sub replacement. But at best they've improved one win. One win could be a difference with the new wild card rules.

(and no, I didn't check ZIPS so YMMV, but I can't imagine it being much of a difference)

Edited to add-I realize re-reading that that it may confuse some. Those PECOTA numbers were ROS projections, not full season.

cumberlandreds
07-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Wandy could get a breathe of fresh air playing for a contender. But I don't really see it happening. I was surprised the other night when they told his age. I didn't think he was 33. He does seem to be gradually going downhill too. It was someone who wouldn't have interested me if I were the Reds and I doubt this trade will have a big impact for the playoffs.

bucksfan2
07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Wandy could get a breathe of fresh air playing for a contender. But I don't really see it happening. I was surprised the other night when they told his age. I didn't think he was 33. He does seem to be gradually going downhill too. It was someone who wouldn't have interested me if I were the Reds and I doubt this trade will have a big impact for the playoffs.

Wandy is "33". I know his name has been changed already and probably his age as well.

I don't quite understand this move from a Pirates perspective. Pitching has been their strong suit this entire season. They are getting a guy who at this stage in his career is a slightly above league average. He will start to get expensive going forward over the next 2+ seasons. If this were the Wandy of a couple of years ago I would have been a little mroe afraid of the trade. Fact of the matter is now he really doesn't scare people like he once did.

RedlegJake
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Houston got three nice prospects, especially Grossman. Grossman has a chance to be a starting outfielder by the middle of next year or the year after. The pitchers are both leftys and you just never know - neither looks special but neither looks bad either. If the Stro's get a 4th outfielder out of Grossman and a LOOGY out of one of the pitchers they've "won" the deal given Wandy's age and likely production going forward if he had stayed. If the Pirates get a solid 5th starter out of Wandy for a couple of years they too have "won" the deal from their perspective. Win-win.

hebroncougar
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
This smacks of a move, just to make a move.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hoosier Red
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Wandy is "33". I know his name has been changed already and probably his age as well.

I don't quite understand this move from a Pirates perspective. Pitching has been their strong suit this entire season. They are getting a guy who at this stage in his career is a slightly above league average. He will start to get expensive going forward over the next 2+ seasons. If this were the Wandy of a couple of years ago I would have been a little mroe afraid of the trade. Fact of the matter is now he really doesn't scare people like he once did.

The problem for the Pirates (from a friend who's a fan) is that while starting pitching has been the strength, it's a bit of smoke and mirrors as Correija's been awful, MacDonald is starting to come back to the pack and they(fans) just don't trust Jeff Karstens to keep doing what he's been doing.

If nothing else this stabilizes things a bit behind Burnett and Bedard.

SidneySlicker
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
This is a meh move. Imo. While the Pirates have impressed me with what they've done this year
They don't have much of a young core other than some of the bullpen and cutch. Just look at their
Starting rotation
Aj Burnett 35
Eric Bedard 33
Jeff Karstens turns 30 in sept
James McDonald 28 youngesg and best pitcher
Wandy Rodriguez 33
Kevin Correia turns 32 next month
Even their best pitcher out of the pen and closer Hanrahan turns 31
In octoer. I think the thought put out their by many that this is a young
And up and coming team is largely a myth. For their aging pitching and htting to
Continue to trend towards career best, I just don't see it.

SidneySlicker
07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
This is a meh move. Imo. While the Pirates have impressed me with what they've done this year they don't have much of a good young core other than Cutch, Alverez, and maybe Walker. Their pitching is very much on the downside of the hill despite what they have done this season.
Starting rotation
Aj Burnett 35
Eric Bedard 33
Wandy Rodriguez 33
And up and coming team is largely a myth. For their aging pitching and htting to

Hoosier Red
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
This is a meh move. Imo. While the Pirates have impressed me with what they've done this year they don't have much of a good young core other than Cutch, Alverez, and maybe Walker. Their pitching is very much on the downside of the hill despite what they have done this season.
Starting rotation
Aj Burnett 35
Eric Bedard 33
Wandy Rodriguez 33

I don't know about their lineup, but the wealth of pitching in the minors should produce at least two or three major league starters.

PuffyPig
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
This is a meh move. Imo. While the Pirates have impressed me with what they've done this year
They don't have much of a young core other than some of the bullpen and cutch. Just look at their
Starting rotation
Aj Burnett 35
Eric Bedard 33
Wandy Rodriguez 33

And Bedard and Burnett are FA's after thias year.

Their starting rotation has been surprisingly good this year. It's not likely to continue. But they have a wealth of young pitching coming up, but it will take some time to mature.

I still see the Reds and the Cards as the frontrunners over the next few years.

hebroncougar
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
The problem for the Pirates (from a friend who's a fan) is that while starting pitching has been the strength, it's a bit of smoke and mirrors as Correija's been awful, MacDonald is starting to come back to the pack and they(fans) just don't trust Jeff Karstens to keep doing what he's been doing.

If nothing else this stabilizes things a bit behind Burnett and Bedard.

Think about that for just a few minutes. They've counting on Burnett and Bedard to be their front horses..........

Vottomatic
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
And Bedard and Burnett are FA's after thias year.

I didn't realize Burnett and Bedard were free agents after this season. Players usually seem to do well in a contract season. Hmmm. I doubt Pirates re-up them, hence the trading for Wandy.

Strikes Out Looking
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
While I think the Pirates may make it into the playoffs this year, I'm not so sure their pitching and their offense will mature together allowing them to prosper for the long run. I think the deals they are making now is to get fans into the seats for the next two months.