PDA

View Full Version : HanRam to the Dodgers

mth123
07-25-2012, 03:09 AM
With Randy Choate for Nathan Eovaldi and other prospects.

Buckeye33
07-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Time to get on the phone and see what it would take to get Bonifacio. He would fit quite nicely at the top of the lineup.

Bonifacio
Phillips
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen/Frazier
Cozart
Hanigan/Mez

Stubbs becomes the 4th OFer..and iud you wanted to get real wild, Bonifacio has played SS before.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Time to get on the phone and see what it would take to get Bonifacio. He would fit quite nicely at the top of the lineup.

Bonifacio
Phillips
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen/Frazier
Cozart
Hanigan/Mez

Stubbs becomes the 4th OFer..and iud you wanted to get real wild, Bonifacio has played SS before.
Yup. And it would also give some insurance in case Brandon Phillips gets hurt. I think a lot of people take it for granted that he's healthy every year.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2012, 03:48 AM
The Marlins practically giving away HanRam is a perfect example of how much teams value intangibles and/or how few times can afford to add salary.

mth123
07-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Bonifacio would be a pretty good target. With HanRam and Infante gone, I'd imagine he may be a keeper in Fla. They still have Reyes, Stanton and Lomo. Justin Ruggiano has been a find in the OF and if they keep Bonifacio, they still have a good base. If they can keep Johnson with Buerhle and add Turner and Eovaldi, the Rotation may be in good shape come 2013. I don't think this is the burn it to the ground sell-off we've seen before in Florida. I think they've dealt a Free Agent in Sanchez and a problem in Hanram. Infante is a journeyman who IMO was moved to make room for Bonifacio at 2B. This team can re-tool and compete next season.

mth123
07-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Double Post. Not sure why it does that when you hit Submit just once.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Double Post. Not sure why it does that when you hit Submit just once.
When you submit only once, it's usually because of lag. Could be your end or RZ's.

mth123
07-25-2012, 04:18 AM
The Marlins practically giving away HanRam is a perfect example of how much teams value intangibles and/or how few times can afford to add salary.

I don't think it was a give away. Eovaldi will be in the rotation for a while in Fla. Ramirez hasn't been more than a 7 hole hitter since 2010. He's expensive and can't play defense. I think the Marlins were lucky to find a taker for his $32 Million contract for 2013 and 2014 even if he was Scott Rolen in the clubhouse.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2012, 04:39 AM
I don't think it was a give away. Eovaldi will be in the rotation for a while in Fla. Ramirez hasn't been more than a 7 hole hitter since 2010. He's expensive and can't play defense. I think the Marlins were lucky to find a taker for his $32 Million contract for 2013 and 2014 even if he was Scott Rolen in the clubhouse.
I think you're stretching things a little too far here. His OPS has been .786 since then. That's better than the average 5-hole hitter.

mth123
07-25-2012, 05:51 AM
I think you're stretching things a little too far here. His OPS has been .786 since then. That's better than the average 5-hole hitter.

Which Hanley Ramirez are you talking about? I see .712 in 2011 and .752 in 2012. I'm not a math expert, but no way that averages to .786.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Which Hanley Ramirez are you talking about? I see .712 in 2011 and .752 in 2012. I'm not a math expert, but no way that averages to .786.
I was including 2010 since you said "since 2010". I guess you meant "after 2010". But yes, his .732 OPS would make him slightly better than the average 6-hole hitter in the NL.

RedlegJake
07-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, the Dodgers taking on $42 million had a ton to do with what the Marlins got in return. Eovaldi isn't exactly chopped liver either. He's a really good young pitcher who has gotten nada for support this this year. Choate and the other prospects were the backend of the deal. It was the Dodgers taking on that money that made the price in personnel lower. How many teams could do that?

Chip R
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
I wonder if a change in scenery will help his attitude. Too many years in one place can tend to wear on certain players.

Benihana
07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
The Dodgers are quickly becoming the Yankees of the NL- or at least the Yankees of the last decade.

Not necessarily in terms of winning, but in terms of money not being an object.

hebroncougar
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
This should have been a given with a loudmouth brash manager going there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mdccclxix
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Oh well, at least it wasn't in our division. Also nice to say, "Hanley, we don't need ya."

RedEye
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I still would have taken Hanley. Now is the time to deal for him anyway - while his value is down. Nice deal by LA.

medford
07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I still would have taken Hanley. Now is the time to deal for him anyway - while his value is down. Nice deal by LA.

His value is down, but his contract is still way up. The only way the Reds could take him on is if they were positive they were going to get the MVP caliber SS of a few seasons back, not the moody, mediocre bat that he's been the last season +.

The Reds can't afford to take that kind of gamble. If the gamble fails, it eats way too much into the payroll. The Reds have gotten to the point they're at by building from within, trading away for price controlled players and extending their own players where they can gauge their place w/n the clubhouse going forward rather easily. Scott Rolen was the 1 exception to that, and obviously Walt had a good history with him. Way too many question marks on HanRam for the Reds to take a nible on.

AtomicDumpling
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
This deal was basically a salary purge. Why pay so many millions to a player when you are not going to win anway? Just get rid of the contract so you can save some money to use later when you are ready to compete. Like many trades these days the talent of the players was not the main impetus for making the trade, it was all about the money.

bucksfan2
07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
This deal was basically a salary purge. Why pay so many millions to a player when you are not going to win anway? Just get rid of the contract so you can save some money to use later when you are ready to compete. Like many trades these days the talent of the players was not the main impetus for making the trade, it was all about the money.

The irony for me is the Marlins decided to go all in with Jose Reyes this off season. Reyes is a year older, less potent on offense, and had clubhouse issues with the Mets. Historically Hanley is the better offensive player while Reyes is the better defender.

I think once Hanley gets out of Miami he will go on a terror. Miami seriously botched the handling of Hanley this off season. Its funny because they were obvisously going all in signing Bueherle as well as Bell to win now worry about the future later.

AtomicDumpling
07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
The irony for me is the Marlins decided to go all in with Jose Reyes this off season. Reyes is a year older, less potent on offense, and had clubhouse issues with the Mets. Historically Hanley is the better offensive player while Reyes is the better defender.

I think once Hanley gets out of Miami he will go on a terror. Miami seriously botched the handling of Hanley this off season. Its funny because they were obvisously going all in signing Bueherle as well as Bell to win now worry about the future later.

Yeah their win now plan didn't exactly work out too well. :eek:

Vottomatic
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm so glad the Reds didn't get Hanley. He's had a WAR the last 2 years hovering around ZERO in both seasons. Huge contract that would have immobilized the Reds ability to do any other moves. That would have been a bad trade if the Reds got him.

Big Klu
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
The Dodgers had an opening on their roster for "talented underachiever with attitude problem named Ramirez".

DGullett35
07-26-2012, 02:11 AM
HanRam has had one of the biggest falls from grace in recent memory. What happened to the guy. A .340 hitter to now a .240 hitter. His hustle is almost non-existent. Tonight he had a triple where if hed hustled would have been an inside the parker for sure. Let the Dodgers have him. Id say it was a good move by the Marlins

mth123
07-26-2012, 04:39 AM
HanRam has had one of the biggest falls from grace in recent memory. What happened to the guy. A .340 hitter to now a .240 hitter. His hustle is almost non-existent. Tonight he had a triple where if hed hustled would have been an inside the parker for sure. Let the Dodgers have him. Id say it was a good move by the Marlins

I think the Marlins have been the big winners so far at this deadline. They've added two guys who should become staples in their rotation, their probable catcher of the future and a couple of lottery tickets for a free agent on the way out, an underperforming defensive nightmare with a huge contract that they wanted to get out from under and a couple of journeyman interchangeable parts.

Neither of these moves scream total meltdown and sell off to me. These are both good baseball and business moves for a team that it didn't work out for in 2012 and they're still positioned to compete in 2013. Probably better positioned if they can use Hanram's and Anibal's money to make a run at an impact OF or 1B.

Chip R
07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
I think the Marlins have been the big winners so far at this deadline. They've added two guys who should become staples in their rotation, their probable catcher of the future and a couple of lottery tickets for a free agent on the way out, an underperforming defensive nightmare with a huge contract that they wanted to get out from under and a couple of journeyman interchangeable parts.

Neither of these moves scream total meltdown and sell off to me. These are both good baseball and business moves for a team that it didn't work out for in 2012 and they're still positioned to compete in 2013. Probably better positioned if they can use Hanram's and Anibal's money to make a run at an impact OF or 1B.

So, you're saying the Reds should "take note from the Marlins"? ;)

REDREAD
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm not saying that the Marlins will lose this trade (I really don't know enough about the prospects)

However, I think HamRam will ultimately do well in LA. For whatever reason, he was unhappy in Florida.. Then the Marlins signing Reyes and bumping him to 3b was the last straw.. I'm not saying that HamRam is a model citizen, but I'm guessing he's going to end up a bit like Gary Sheffield.. He goes to a new team, is happy and very productive for awhile, then gets disgruntled and starts underperforming.. traded again.. repeat..

DGullett35
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Hes going to play 3rd for the Dodgers too. I do agree with the cycle of him being disgruntled and traded then disgruntled...The guy has the talent to be one of the best players in the league. Maybe Mattingly can get some more out of him. He just seems not to be totally "into it" when hes on the diamond. I mentioned last night he had a triple but easily could have had an inside the park HR had he hustled all the way around the bases.

Chip R
07-26-2012, 04:10 PM
However, I think HamRam will ultimately do well in LA. For whatever reason, he was unhappy in Florida.. Then the Marlins signing Reyes and bumping him to 3b was the last straw.. I'm not saying that HamRam is a model citizen, but I'm guessing he's going to end up a bit like Gary Sheffield.. He goes to a new team, is happy and very productive for awhile, then gets disgruntled and starts underperforming.. traded again.. repeat..

That's not a bad comparison.