PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Rosa

Benihana
07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Too soon to start to get a little concerned about last year's second round pick?

He is currently OPSing .444 (.179 BA, 0 HR) in Billings in his second year of professional ball. He did just turn 19 this month, so it goes without saying there is plenty of time. That said, he now has a career .605 OPS in 198 professional plate appearances.

Barring a major turnaround, I'd imagine Rahier is the starting 3B in Dayton next year.

Superdude
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
He's young, but that K/BB ratio scares me. Hopefully it's just an approach issue or something fixable, but that's one of those foundational problems that can render the best tools in the world utterly useless.

RED VAN HOT
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Went back to see what BA said before last year's draft. They did express concern that his swing path was inconsistent and that he opened up too early in an attempt to pull.

dougdirt
07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Youth is on his side, but he should probably be repeating the AZL this year given his age and approach. This is his age 18 season, he is only a few months older than the high school kids we drafted this year.

Benihana
07-25-2012, 03:33 PM
I guess he'll repeat Billings next year and hopefully shows some signs of life. Like I said, seems like he'll be leapfrogged by Rahier.

dougdirt
07-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I guess he'll repeat Billings next year and hopefully shows some signs of life. Like I said, seems like he'll be leapfrogged by Rahier.

Probably so, but you never know. A good fall and a good spring could change things and it isn't like Rahier has exactly lit the world on fire in Arizona (though his plate discipline has been much stronger).

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2012, 04:31 AM
Not too soon at all. This guy looks like he was one hell of a reach in the second round. Very disappointing.

dougdirt
07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Not too soon at all. This guy looks like he was one hell of a reach in the second round. Very disappointing.

He is 18 years old.

Benihana
07-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Agree that it's way too early to write him off completely, but not too early to be a bit concerned. If he can't hit in Billings next year, I'll be very concerned.

RED VAN HOT
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I noticed that he is on the 60 day DL. Does anyone have further info?

JaxRed
08-12-2012, 01:10 AM
It seems without checking that our recent high Puerto Rican draft choices have not panned out.

Edit... I guess it's not that bad. I had visions of Ronda in my mind but that was a long time ago, and Silva was not that high a pick.

dougdirt
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I noticed that he is on the 60 day DL. Does anyone have further info?

He has apparently had hip problems all season long and the Reds decided to shut him down.

OGB
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
He is 18 years old.

The Mike Trouts, Bryce Harpers, and Dylan Bundys of the world are giving everyone unrealistic expectations.

Blitz Dorsey
08-13-2012, 06:52 PM
The Mike Trouts, Bryce Harpers, and Dylan Bundys of the world are giving everyone unrealistic expectations.

No, that has nothing to do with wanting last year's second-round pick to do well in rookie ball. We're talking about rookie ball here. Rookie ball.

Anyone disappointed with Yorman Rodriguez? Thought so. Well, he's only 19. And could at least hit when he was in rookie ball.

Also, no one is completely writing Rosa off (at least I'm not). I said I was very disappointed in him thus far. I stand by that. He was bad with the AZL Reds last year and he was bad with Billings this year. Still an extremely young guy, I get that. But I also expect more out of a second-round pick.

Just when I think Buckley is a genius, he makes picks like Rosa last year and Jeff Gelalich this year. Head-scratchers to say the least.

JaxRed
08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Gelalich and LaMarre strike me as the outfield version of Devin Lohman and Brodie Green.

lollipopcurve
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Gelalich and LaMarre strike me as the outfield version of Devin Lohman and Brodie Green.

Lamarre is a plus middle-of-the-diamond defender and base runner. That puts him categorically ahead of both Lohman and GReene. He's from a cold weather state and college, unlike Lohman and Greene, meaning he's likely got more room to improve than either of them. Thirdly, and easiest to see, his offensive performance has outstripped both of theirs. Easily a better prospect than both of those guys. Gelalich -- way too early. He's coming off a long college season, having gone all the way to the CWS finals. I'm giving him a pass for 2012. I think he'll hit, but only time will tell.