PDA

View Full Version : Robert Stephenson being sent to Dayton

membengal
07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Pretty cool:

Sosnick Cobbe Sports ‏@SosnickCobbe
#Reds RHP Robert Stephenson has been promoted from Billings @Mustangs to Dayton @DragonsBaseball. #MiLB
Retweeted by John Fay

JayBruceFan
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Yorman go up to Bakersfield as well as a few other moves

Benihana
07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
:clap:

OesterPoster
07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Any idea when he might pitch for Dayton? Last outing for Billings was on the 21st.

bellhead
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
sweet.

Reds72

I expect a full report...

dougdirt
07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Any idea when he might pitch for Dayton? Last outing for Billings was on the 21st.

He was the Friday starter for Billings, so perhaps tomorrow. Hopefully so, since they play at Great Lakes and the Loons are on Milb.tv so some of us would be able to see him in action.

powersackers
07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I will go to the game and give a full report. If they are at home.

OesterPoster
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I was hoping he'd pitch tonight, then again Tuesday when they return home. I've got tix for Tuesday.

redsof72
07-26-2012, 01:15 PM
My guess is he starts in Quezada's turn with Q going to the DL. That would be Saturday. If that happens, his first home start would be next Thursday, and that game is on TV with free internet access.

Superdude
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Finally. Get some life on that team.

fearofpopvol1
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Is this a little early to be sending him to Dayton?

dougdirt
07-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Not exactly. Usually by now first rounders have thrown 50+ innings in Dayton.

Benihana
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM

No. If you look at pitchers that have been drafted in the first round for the last five years, none of them were still pitching in Rookie League in August after the year they were drafted. If anything, you could make the argument (which I'm not) he should have been there sooner.

redsof72
07-26-2012, 04:24 PM
First start tomorrow at Great Lakes. First home start is scheduled for Wednesday.

TOBTTReds
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Dayton Dragons ‏@DragonsBaseball
Reds 2011 #1 draft pick Robert Stephenson has been promoted to Dayton. He will start tomorrow (Friday) at Great Lakes.

crazybob60
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Dragons placed right-handed pitcher Radhames Quezada on the disabled list today with a sore shoulder.

per Dragons twitter page

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Dragons placed right-handed pitcher Radhames Quezada on the disabled list today with a sore shoulder.

per Dragons twitter page
I figured it was going to happen at some point this year. His mechanics aren't ideal imo . . .

redsof72
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Tom Browning interview re Robert Stephenson

http://soundcloud.com/daytondragons/07-2612-browning-interview

REDSEER
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
What a pleasant surprise. I'll be at the game tomorrow night :beerme:. I'll try to take note of gun readings and pitches while I'm there.

TOBTTReds
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Also, Great Lakes has milb.tv, so the game will be online tomorrow.

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Also, Great Lakes has milb.tv, so the game will be online tomorrow.

Yep, already planned my evening around it.

REDSEER
07-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Yep, already planned my evening around it.

Hope you have a back up plan for your Friday night. It's been pouring up here for about 3 hours straight. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one postponed with Dayton scheduled to come back up here next week.

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Hope you have a back up plan for your Friday night. It's been pouring up here for about 3 hours straight. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one postponed with Dayton scheduled to come back up here next week.

Looks like it is still raining, but after about another 45 minutes of rain, it should be clear. Probably depends on how well the field drains out there.

REDSEER
07-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Looks like it is still raining, but after about another 45 minutes of rain, it should be clear. Probably depends on how well the field drains out there.

It has slowed to a sprinkle now. I'm sure the field drains really well. Great Lakes plays on one of the better surfaces I've seen on the minor league level.

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Great Lakes currently has its game stream up and they have a car on the field. If it were bad enough that they weren't sure about playing at some point, there would not be a car on the field.

REDSEER
07-27-2012, 07:58 PM
The tarp is about to be pulled. On the bright side, it's circus night at the ballpark :).

redsof72
07-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Tarp is down. Start of the game will be delayed.

REDSEER
07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
First pitch scheduled for 7:45.

The Rage
07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Hopefully Robert can be what Homer Bailey was supposed to be: a true power pitcher. I know the Reds love their sinkerballers, but having a true guy throwing 95+ consistantly would be nice.

redsof72
07-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Holy Aroldis. First inning: 3 K's. Topped out at 101. Two of the three strikeouts came on breaking balls.

nemesis
07-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Holy Aroldis. First inning: 3 K's. Topped out at 101. Two of the three strikeouts came on breaking balls.

That's just wow.

If he had 5 or 6 good starts in Dayton to end his campaign this year with that kind velocity, He could debut as a top 25-50 prospect in all of baseball ball next year...

Tom Servo
07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzowt4jsvp1qz7ptzo1_250.gif

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 09:31 PM

And those breaking balls are very pretty.

Vottomatic
07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
The California Missile

MikeS21
07-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Can we resist the urge to stick this guy in the bullpen?

19braves77
07-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Send him to Pensacola ! Everyone is tired !

Tom Servo
07-28-2012, 03:06 PM
What kind of trajectory would you guys expect for Stephenson? Is it an absolute given that all of his innings for the rest of the year will be at the low A level, or could he possibly get a High A start?

11larkin11
07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
What kind of trajectory would you guys expect for Stephenson? Is it an absolute given that all of his innings for the rest of the year will be at the low A level, or could he possibly get a High A start?

Bakersfield is far away, and in a huge hitters league. I'd keep him in Dayton all year.

redsof72
07-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Dayton, 70 pitch limit.

It's all about these three things with this kid right now:

1) Keep him healthy
2) Keep him from trying to overextend
3) See item # 1

Scrap Irony
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
If he dominates the rest of the season, I could see the Cincinnati brass deciding he should skip Bakersfield in favor of the larger park in AA Pensacola.

It's not likely, but possible.

dougdirt
07-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Stephenson did not look like a guy who was ready for the next level last night. He was ready for this level, but not the next one.

Benihana
07-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Clearly the focus should be on keeping him healthy and performing in Dayton for the rest of this season.

Depending on how he looks and continues to progress over the next few months, he could potentially be a candidate to begin next year in A+ or even AA.

Fortunately, there is no need whatsoever to rush him. He should be in Dayton no matter what for the rest of this season, and only be promoted to A+ or AA for next year if he is clearly ready for the challenge.

Even in a best-case scenario (including his health), he is not a guy who should get major league consideration until 2015, when he'll be 22 years old. It's quite possible that he will not be ready until 2016 or even 2017. You never know...

dougdirt
07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Even in a best-case scenario (including his health), he is not a guy who should get major league consideration until 2015, when he'll be 22 years old. It's quite possible that he will not be ready until 2016 or even 2017. You never know...

Yep. If for nothing else so that when he gets there, he has built up his innings to the point where he won't have to be shut down, unless they make a run in the playoffs.

Vottomatic
07-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Stephenson did not look like a guy who was ready for the next level last night. He was ready for this level, but not the next one.

I'll take your word for it since I wasn't there. And I don't want to rush the kid either. BUT...........I remember similar things being said about Cingrani.

dougdirt
07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I'll take your word for it since I wasn't there. And I don't want to rush the kid either. BUT...........I remember similar things being said about Cingrani.

Cingrani can throw his fastball wherever he wants it.

Stephenson, despite the strikeouts, didn't really have good control of his fastball, much less command of it. Guys were just overmatched though because they don't see arms like that.

corkedbat
07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120727&content_id=35693562&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

MikeS21
07-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Cingrani can throw his fastball wherever he wants it.

Stephenson, despite the strikeouts, didn't really have good control of his fastball, much less command of it. Guys were just overmatched though because they don't see arms like that.
Stephenson may have to learn to pitch around 94-95 mph for control. Homer Bailey has learned to start at 91 mph, and by the 6th inning, he dials it up to 95-96 mph.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Stephenson may have to learn to pitch around 94-95 mph for control. Homer Bailey has learned to start at 91 mph, and by the 6th inning, he dials it up to 95-96 mph.

Perhaps. Time will certainly tell.

Dan
07-30-2012, 01:19 PM

To quote a long time poster on these boards: "while you challenge thy hitters, you coddle thy pitchers" to which I add that when a pitcher is ready, he's ready.

Sounds like Stephenson isn't ready for anything above where he is. I'd say ETA mid-late 2015.

Scrap Irony
07-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd argue that arrival time. I'd put Stephenson as ready somewhere between mid 2014 and the beginning of 2015:

-- The rest of this season at Dayton
-- Moving up to Bakersfield for 2013
-- Move to AA mid-season
-- Full season in AA
-- Half-season in AAA

Right now, Stephenson profiles as a TOR guy because he's got three pitches. In the one start I've seen, his fastball is more than acceptable, though he need to tighten his control/ command a bit. His curve flashes plus-plus, but is a bit inconsistent. (That puts him well ahead of the low A SP curve, btw. Most only show one or two really good off-speed pitches per game. Stephenson's showing much more consistency and bite.) His change needs some work, but flashes (rarely) as plus. It's more likely fringe-average, though the Reds have shown an affinity for teaching/ improving change-ups in the past few years.

For the rest of this year, I'd imagine his focus is to improve command of all his pitches, improve his change's arm action, and refine his curve. That puts him well ahead of most prospects in low A. He needs innings more than most, though, so that's one reason to keep him in the lower ranks.

Because he has electric stuff and two good pitches, Stephenson should be a fairly fast riser. In today's minor league system, pitchers tend to get moved quite a bit faster than in previous years. (Part of that, IMO, is the ability to develop and identify those pitchers ready for progressive levels. Part of it is technological.) Stephenson should be no different.

redsof72
07-30-2012, 07:54 PM
You may be correct on your timetable as far as the way it eventually plays out. But there is no one in the Reds organization looking beyond the rest of this season. When it's time for him to move up, they will move him up. The concern is that he not try to do too much and suffer an injury. As you have probably heard, they are trying to settle him down. Word was, he was throwing as hard in the bullpen before the game as he threw in the first inning, so pumped up, something the Reds would be concerned with. The more you ask of him right now, the greater the risk that he is going to reach back and try to get more than what's there. I am sure there is some holding of breath that when he throws that first pitch Wednesday in front of 8,000, he will not try to throw it 102 mph.

This is a very special arm, the best the Reds have had in a long time. Reds are going to take it nice and easy, let him progress.

Those who want him fast tracked...be careful what you ask for. We have already had our Grulers, Howingtons. etc.

jfleur87
07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Does Robert pitch tomorrow for the Dragons? Can anyone confirm?

Ohayou
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Does Robert pitch tomorrow for the Dragons? Can anyone confirm?

Stephenson tomorrow, Mugarian on Thursday and Gerson on Friday.

TOBTTReds
08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Anyone going to the Dragons game tonight?

Superdude
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM

This guy! I'll be sure to bring back a full report of the majestic stuff of Bob Stephenson.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 12:21 AM

I have video of every pitch he threw but 2 or 3.... He caught me off guard with quick work a few times as I checked the radar.

btmreds
08-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I was at the game tonight and I was extremely impressed with Stephenson. Just some quick observations I had/saw:
- In the first inning he had his fastball topping out at 98 mph, the fastest I saw it clocked all game. More importantly, he threw that hard consistently in the first inning.
- As the game wore on, his velocity dropped a little by little every inning. His lowest fastball velocity was 94 mph.
- I was surprised with the amount of times he threw his change-up tonight (usually around 79-81 mph). He wasn't just a two pitch pitcher. In his last inning of work, he especially concentrated on his off-speed work. Another observation I had with his change-up was his arm action would slow down when throwing his change-up compared to his fastball, and it was fairly obvious.
- His breaking ball is really impressive, when it is on. There were a couple times it hung up there, but when it didn't hang it had a very nice downward action to it.
- The most impressive thing from Stephenson tonight was he didn't issue a walk. With that being said, there were times he fell behind in the count 2-0. Many times he started the AB with a ball as well.
- Final stat line: 5 ip, 5 K, 0 BB, 3 H 1 ER (a solo HR on a 97 mph fastball)

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 12:56 AM
I was at the game tonight and I was extremely impressed with Stephenson. Just some quick observations I had/saw:
- In the first inning he had his fastball topping out at 98 mph, the fastest I saw it clocked all game. More importantly, he threw that hard consistently in the first inning.
- As the game wore on, his velocity dropped a little by little every inning. His lowest fastball velocity was 94 mph.
- I was surprised with the amount of times he threw his change-up tonight (usually around 79-81 mph). He wasn't just a two pitch pitcher. In his last inning of work, he especially concentrated on his off-speed work. Another observation I had with his change-up was his arm action would slow down when throwing his change-up compared to his fastball, and it was fairly obvious.
- His breaking ball is really impressive, when it is on. There were a couple times it hung up there, but when it didn't hang it had a very nice downward action to it.
- The most impressive thing from Stephenson tonight was he didn't issue a walk. With that being said, there were times he fell behind in the count 2-0. Many times he started the AB with a ball as well.
- Final stat line: 5 ip, 5 K, 0 BB, 3 H 1 ER (a solo HR on a 97 mph fastball)

Stephenson's change up was the pitch that was 85-87, not the one that was 78-81. His velocity dropped off in either the 2nd or the third, but the 4th and 5th were 95-97 all inning.

*BaseClogger*
08-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Dumb question, but IIRC wasn't Stephenson a guy who threw like 92 mph when we drafted him?

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Dumb question, but IIRC wasn't Stephenson a guy who threw like 92 mph when we drafted him?

No. He was a guy who was said to top out at 98 and worked 92-94.

btmreds
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Stephenson's change up was the pitch that was 85-87, not the one that was 78-81. His velocity dropped off in either the 2nd or the third, but the 4th and 5th were 95-97 all inning.

Yea my bad got the 2 pitches mixed up. The point I was getting at is his velocity regressed a little bit after the first inning. That being said, it's very impressive how hard he can throw.

R_Webb18
08-02-2012, 01:41 AM
at this rate how far away is 2-3 years?

does he have a shot of being elite?

camisadelgolf
08-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Dumb answer. I don't recall 100%. I bet I could use the search function and find out. :duel:

Scrap Irony
08-02-2012, 01:53 AM

Sure, he has a shot. But he'll need to continue doing what he's doing for longer in games while also continuing what he's doing for entire summers.

kaldaniels
08-02-2012, 01:54 AM

As a novice minor league follower, I would have to say yes, he has a chance of being elite. He has suddenly become my "guy to follow" in the system, even moreso than Billy.

JayBruceFan
08-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Just wanted to add a little note about the HR Stephenson gave up tonight. It hit halfway up the "tent" covering of the party deck in left center field for those that are familiar with the stadium.

It was one of the longest in-game home runs I have ever seen hit at that park and I have been going to games since 2000 and have worked there since 2006, so I have seen a lot of home runs and that was by far one of the deepest shots I have ever seen.

bellhead
08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Sure, he has a shot. But he'll need to continue doing what he's doing for longer in games while also continuing what he's doing for entire summers.

3 would be stretching it...4 would be more like it and he could still use another year after that to season...

Remember he's only 19...

medford
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Just wanted to add a little note about the HR Stephenson gave up tonight. It hit halfway up the "tent" covering of the party deck in left center field for those that are familiar with the stadium.

It was one of the longest in-game home runs I have ever seen hit at that park and I have been going to games since 2000 and have worked there since 2006, so I have seen a lot of home runs and that was by far one of the deepest shots I have ever seen.

I'm not sure how it correlates, but I once saw Paul Janish hit one up there if I'm thinking of the same area.

TOBTTReds
08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure how it correlates, but I once saw Paul Janish hit one up there if I'm thinking of the same area.

I saw Votto go over the batters eye a couple times.

gonelong
08-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Adam Dunn hit one out down the RF line that bounced down the street to Brixx.

Wily Mo Pena hit one over the Batters Eye in CF that I swear was still rising.

GL

klw
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Depending on how you look at it, it is 24 to 36 months, 104 to 156 weeks, or 730 to 1095 days.

holster10
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I, too, was at the game last evening to check out Stephenson. Although he dropped to 94 occasionally, he worked consistently at 95-96 all night and hit 97 several times, 98 a few times. The kid has good poise on the mound and got some swing and misses on his curve ball and change up. I don't recall seeing the first change up until the 4th inning but used it quite a bit in the 5th.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I have seen several guys hit the scoreboard over the concession stand in left that were quite a bit further than the one hit last night.

REDREAD
08-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Not disputing what you are saying Doug, but can you elaborate a bit?
Was the 78-81 MPH pitch a different offspeed pitch, a bad changeup or what?
thanks.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Not disputing what you are saying Doug, but can you elaborate a bit?
Was the 78-81 MPH pitch a different offspeed pitch, a bad changeup or what?
thanks.

No, that was his curveball.

dfs
08-02-2012, 11:18 PM
No, that was his curveball.

Maybe I was watching a different game, but I don't recall him ever hitting the strike zone with that 78 mph curve ball. He bounced several of them up there, but I didn't think he hit the zone at all.

TOBTTReds
08-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Maybe I was watching a different game, but I don't recall him ever hitting the strike zone with that 78 mph curve ball. He bounced several of them up there, but I didn't think he hit the zone at all.

He had a real nice buckler in the inside corner to a righty, want to say the 4th inning. His command was off on it though most of the night.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 11:45 PM
There were a few curveballs in the strikezone. I have some video of a few.

Superdude
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Not saying he had great command of it, but hitting the strike zone isn't always the intention when throwing a curveball.

JayBruceFan
08-03-2012, 05:14 AM
I have seen several guys hit the scoreboard over the concession stand in left that were quite a bit further than the one hit last night.

The scoreboard shots are always cool too. Yorman and Duran did that quite a bit last year during BP. Yorman's line drives off the scoreboard clock were fun to watch.

Andrew Means once hit one half way up the video board during his first year in Dayton, now that was impressive

dougdirt
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Andrew Means once hit one half way up the video board during his first year in Dayton, now that was impressive

Means is a real interesting guy. He has some serious bat speed going on, and he is strong, but he simply doesn't hit for power.

JayBruceFan
08-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Means is a real interesting guy. He has some serious bat speed going on, and he is strong, but he simply doesn't hit for power.

Interesting to say the least. If he could ever harness his power, he could really do some damage

powersackers
08-14-2012, 12:22 AM
MLB.com article "Stephenson turning heads"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120813&content_id=36609178&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Met him tonight after the game. Got autos and pics. My teenage niece was "shaking" after posing for her pic with him. Nice kid. Brilliant smile.

Edd Roush
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Stephenson with a great bounceback start last night.

6IP 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 9K

This brings Stephenson's season numbers to:

11.65 K/9, 3.18 BB/9, 0.53 HR/9. He is still unlucky with a .386 BABIP and a 62 LOB%, which is partially why his ERA is 4.76, but his FIP is a solid 2.44.

Speaking of Stephenson, he started yesterday May 8, counting the Dragons schedule, it looks like he is due to be pitching at home on Thursday, May 23 which is a Reds' off day. I went to stubhub to try to buy tickets to this game, but I did not see any tickets available. Since the Dragons games are always sold out, what is the best way to buy tickets? Thanks.

lollipopcurve
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Interesting that Stephenson credited Sal Romano's advice to go back to his high school delivery as the reason for his excellent start last night. Just goes to show you that even professional coaching can be more art than science, and sometimes less is more.

lollipopcurve
05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Interesting that Stephenson credited Sal Romano's advice to go back to his high school delivery as the reason for his excellent start last night. Just goes to show you that even professional coaching can be more art than science, and sometimes less is more.

dougdirt
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Speaking of Stephenson, he started yesterday May 8, counting the Dragons schedule, it looks like he is due to be pitching at home on Thursday, May 23 which is a Reds' off day. I went to stubhub to try to buy tickets to this game, but I did not see any tickets available. Since the Dragons games are always sold out, what is the best way to buy tickets? Thanks.

Tickets are available on their website for that game right now.

Edd Roush
05-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Tickets are available on their website for that game right now.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually called the ticket office and grabbed four for the game. Do you believe that I am right and Stephenson should start that night if he stays on his normal rotation?

dougdirt
05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I actually called the ticket office and grabbed four for the game. Do you believe that I am right and Stephenson should start that night if he stays on his normal rotation?

No clue. I didn't count forward. Of course with Cueto pitching tonight, it may push everyone back a day. Or maybe they will just skip someone, like Guillon, who has really struggled, to get him some extra bullpen work or something.

TOBTTReds
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
No clue. I didn't count forward. Of course with Cueto pitching tonight, it may push everyone back a day. Or maybe they will just skip someone, like Guillon, who has really struggled, to get him some extra bullpen work or something.

There rotation has been funky lately. They've dropped a 6th man in there recently, sometimes 5.

Edd Roush
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
The bullpen blew the win for Stephenson, but he had another dominating outling last night. 6IP 2H 1R 0ER 0BB 7K.

Amazingly, a 7 K in 6 IP performance brings his K rate down to 11.48 K/9 (from 11.65). His walk rate tumbled from 3.18 to 2.70 BB/9. His HR rate is down from 0.53 to 0.45 HR/9 and his ERA is down to 4.05 from 4.76 his last start due is large part to his BABIP normalizing a bit more from .386 to .356. He didn't do much to improve his LOB % of 62% since he didn't let many guys get onto base in the first place. His FIP has gone from 2.44 to 2.28.

I won't update this thread after every Stephenson start, but it is amazing to see how his season numbers can be improved so drastically after just two starts. Let's hope Stephenson can keep it up and let's hope nothing funky happens to the Dragons rotation in the next couple weeks so that I (and other local Reds' fans) can catch Stephenson's start on the 23rd when the Reds have an off day.