PDA

View Full Version : UK Football 2013

Pages : 1 [2]

Joseph
02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Stoops is killing it!! Hearing lots of rumors about good things regarding Hatcher on the morrow! :eek:

Lovin' it!

jmac
02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Was really hoping for Timmons !!!!!!!!!!!!! :beerme::beerme:
ESPN today reporting Hatcher will commit tomorrow to UK which would be Huge !!
Still not counting my chickens but the impact this kid would have on the defense would be enormous !
I really thought he would sign with U of L and then it looked like USC. Today it looks like UK might land this kid though !
One calculation of the current recruiting rankings....shows with the Timmons signing "and" a Hatcher signing, UK's class would move up to an almost unheard of territory of #23 in football. (#30 as of right now)

jmac
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I liked this comment by Timmons : " I think there is [momentum]. This is the first time they’re talking about football during basketball season.” :D

jmac
02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
This a new one today, maybe just talk but throwing it out there "in case" :

300 pound 4 star Florida Defensive Tackle Keith Bryant says he is considering Kentucky

“I love Coach Stoops at Kentucky and he’s offering me a deal I can’t refuse,” Bryant said. “I would have a chance to go up there with Tevin (Spells) and the rest of my teammates. Anything could happen with that.”

Also considering South Carolina, Florida State and Miami

WMR
02-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Is he the Dlineman that was committed to LSU but opened things back up when they asked him to greyshirt? He's not going to sign tomorrow but is visiting UK.

jmac
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Is he the Dlineman that was committed to LSU but opened things back up when they asked him to greyshirt? He's not going to sign tomorrow but is visiting UK.
No, I know the kid you are talking about but cant remember his name.
This kid was thought to be bound for one of the above listed and has just started talking KY in the last day or so. Could be just posturing but one report said he got a UK hat today to go with the other 3 so it is possible. (course after Timmons and hopefully Hatcher......we dont want to sound greedy :D)

WMR
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I cannot wait to hear the Air Raid sirens blaring again in Commonwealth. :D

jmac
02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
With National Signing Day tomorrow, Bryant just tweeted this :
"im gonna shock the world tommorrow"
.....hhmmmmm would it shock the world if he signed with USC/FSU/Miami ?

Timmons , Hatcher is possible and now Bryant maybe ? Stay tuned UK fans...
Attached is a pic of Mr Bryant

WMR
02-05-2013, 10:17 PM
You forgot to list UofL who is the leader to land him and also is hosting him for his last visit before signing day. And he hasn't decommitted from USC and is actually visiting them next week.

If stoops gets him out of Louisville it will be a major steal.

I guess he got stolen then!!

Welcome to the BBN, Jason Hatcher!! :thumbup::beerme::thumbup:

According to ESPN he has committed to UK!

5TimeWSChamps
02-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Great stuff from Wetzel here...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sec-s-dominance-extends-to-signing-day-055403427.html;_ylt=AkjAG2Br_eN2rKbJ6o_zpEMLcykA;_ ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dG hvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

jimbo
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
First Down, Kentucky!!

joshnky
02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
UK got hatcher.

WMR
02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
BOOM!

:party:

New York Red
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Cannot believe we got Hatcher. He had no interest at all in UK when Stoops got the job just over two months ago.

:beerme:

jmac
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Awesome job by Coach Stoops !! Great class (#28) who I think will be an immediate help !
I really didnt think Hatcher would sign till yesterday. Not only is this kid one of the best defensive kids to come to UK in a long time, but he has helped get UK's foot in the door with Trinity.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

jmac
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Here is a nice story on Hatcher :

Trinity defensive end Jason Hatcher decides Kentucky is the place for him

Trinity defensive end Jason Hatcher decides Kentucky is the place for him

The day before Jason Hatcher’s official visit to the University of Southern California last month, his sister, Kelli, gave birth to a baby boy.

Hatcher and his mother, Donna Curry, actually had to leave Kelli at the hospital to board a plane to Los Angeles. It was then that Curry knew Hatcher — a star defensive end at Trinity High School — might be wavering on his commitment to the Trojans.

“He was like, ‘I don’t want to leave,’” Curry said. “I knew then that his heart wasn’t there. When he came back from that trip, you could just tell.”

The three weeks since Hatcher’s visit to USC brought about plenty of speculation that finally came to an end Wednesday when the 6-foot-2 240-pounder signed with the University of Kentucky.

Hatcher originally committed to USC last July, choosing the Trojans over the University of Louisville and Tennessee. But with its hiring of head coach Mark Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot, UK began to enter the picture.
And there was his new nephew, Kaiden, to think about.

“We left the hospital to go get on a plane, and that’s rough,” Hatcher said. “That played a major part. That’s my man. I have to keep him close.”

In Hatcher the Wildcats will get the No. 8-ranked weakside defensive end in the nation, according to Rivals.com. The recruiting service ranks him as a four-star recruit on a five-star scale.

In 11 games last season at Trinity, Hatcher posted 33 solo tackles and eight assists. Those numbers included 17 ˝ tackles for loss and 13 ˝ sacks.

Hatcher played in last month’s U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio and further impressed Trinity coach Bob Beatty, who coached the East team to victory.

“I’d heard from some of the big boys that he might be a little light in the rear end to play defensive end,” Beatty said. “Well, after being with the best of the best down there for a week, not only did I see this young man hold his own, but he excelled with the very best in the nation.”

Hatcher said much of the speculation of the past three weeks, which included him both decommitting and recommitting to USC, wasn’t true.
He said he spent a lot of time studying the record of Stoops and Eliot during their time at Florida State and came away impressed.

“I believe in what those guys were selling,” Hatcher said. “I believe in the way they coach defensive ends. … I believe we can get this program back to where it needs to be.”

Although she’s a U of L fan, Curry said she was pleased her son is headed just an hour away to Lexington instead of across the country to Los Angeles.

Hatcher said his family is on board with the decision but joked that his mother might have a tough time wearing UK blue.

“I think my mom will wear some purple or something,” he said with a laugh.
Hatcher was among four Trinity players to sign with Football Bowl Subdivision schools on Wednesday, joining running back Dalyn Dawkins (Purdue), wide receiver James Quick (Louisville) and defensive back Ryan White (Vanderbilt).

George Foster
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Coach Stubbs has had an amazing couple of months!!

jmac
02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
This is a nice picture that we dont normally see of football players but rather basketball players.
Nebraska turned UK signee Marcus McWilson with KY's own Ashley Judd:

jmac
02-06-2013, 11:40 PM
While fans of teams like Bama/OSU/Fla/ Texas etc, usually have banner recruiting years, this puts what this season means to UK football fans in perspective.
These are UK's recruiting ranks since 2002:

UK’s class rankings since 2002

2002: 94
2003: 63
2004: 52
2005: 67
2006: 36
2007: 54
2008: 57
2009: 41
2010: 50
2011: 61
2012: 62
2013: 28

One year we had # 36 and one year # 41 and everything else 50 or higher.
Now mind you, UK went to 4 straight Bowls during those years. The difference is we just couldnt hold our own against SEC teams.
If we could go 4-0 against Non conference which we did several times and win against a Vandy/Miss State type in SEC, that got us to 6 wins.
I think classes like this will help us start closing the gap on the rest of these SEC teams.
Coach Stoops did this coming off a 2 win season. Let's win 6 in 2013 and see what he can do...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BTW...yes I know 6 can would be quite an accomplishment but dont doubt the Stoop's Troops ! :D

WMR
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Stoops is still chasing a couple 4 stars who didn't sign today.

The job he has done in 2 months is nothing short of incredible.

jmac
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
WMR, this snippet below is the kid who was offered the grey shirt at LSU.

the 2013 former LSU commit Tevin Lawson has decided not to visit UK this weekend.He told a Louisiana newspaper that he would be visiting Louisiana Tech instead.

Looks like now, he wants to stay closer to home.

jmac
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM
This isnt a knock on the players I am about to list. I am just saying that sometimes, rather than the stars by a kid's name, I look at who else the kid is being recruited by.
A couple of weeks ago, Coach Stoops met with some of the Joker Philips recruits and decided the fit might not be best at UK and they decomitted.
This is where they ended signing at :

Jalen Battle – Illinois St.
Ander Bodkin – Jacksonville University
Jake Boynton – Marshall?
Darren Dowdell – East Carolina
Jevontey Smith – Middle Tennessee St
Deangelo Yancey – Purdue
David Washington – ???

Some that we got shows who were competing against us:

Ryan Timmons — Cats beat out Ohio State and Florida
Jason Hatcher — Cats beat out USC and Louisville
Marcus McWilson — Cats flip him from Nebraska
Zadarius Smith — Cats beat Texas, Texas A&M and Auburn

We have to have classes like brought in this year to compete with an SEC that seems to get stronger and stronger.

WMR
02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
I've always thought UK should hit Ohio harder. Considering the amount of talent that state produces year in and year out, it's nice to finally have a staff with some real connections throughout the state.

I think it's fair to expect some of the returning talent to look significantly better now that they'll be receiving competent coaching.

Stoops has said he expects to sign some 5 star talent in future classes, that would be something else if he could pull it off.

jmac
02-08-2013, 07:09 PM
WMR, this snippet below is the kid who was offered the grey shirt at LSU.

the 2013 former LSU commit Tevin Lawson has decided not to visit UK this weekend.He told a Louisiana newspaper that he would be visiting Louisiana Tech instead.

Looks like now, he wants to stay closer to home.
Update: Dont count out Stoops !

Rivals.com is reporting four-star defensive tackle Tevin Lawson will visit Lexington this weekend. It was reported yesterday that he canceled his trip and planned to visit Louisiana Tech instead. Kentucky is back in play.

jmac
02-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Update: Dont count out Stoops !

Rivals.com is reporting four-star defensive tackle Tevin Lawson will visit Lexington this weekend. It was reported yesterday that he canceled his trip and planned to visit Louisiana Tech instead. Kentucky is back in play.
On campus today ! :thumbup:

jmac
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
One report had at least 10 and maybe 12, 2014 prospects on campus today for "UK Junior Day" that will more than likely be 4 Stars. A couple are under consideration for 5 stars.
I like how Coach Stoops is keepin' his pedal to the metal ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

jmac
02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Wow...now mind you this is only "commiting" but look at this :

Denzel Ware is a 6’3″, 220 lbs. 4-star defensive end from Crestview, Florida who had originally committed to Florida State while Mark Stoops and DJ Eliot were on the staff. Once they left, he dropped his commitment to entertain offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, Texas, USC and others. But, his relationship with DJ Eliot was too strong and he decided to pledge to Kentucky, where he will be the highest rated recruit since Micah Johnson in 2006. Ware is rated the 44th best player in the 2014 class and the nation’s 4th best weakside defensive end by 24/7 Sports.

Now I am sure before it comes time for him to "sign" , these other schools will keep after him but as of now, Stoops' second class is off to great start.
If we can just win a few games for him in the upcoming season...look out ! :thumbup:

New York Red
02-15-2013, 04:45 PM
For you hardcore football geeks who want an in depth look at the Air Raid offense we'll be running, here's an amazing article on it's origin, it's growth and how it operates. One of the best football articles I've ever read. Warning: it's very long.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

Sea Ray
02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
While fans of teams like Bama/OSU/Fla/ Texas etc, usually have banner recruiting years, this puts what this season means to UK football fans in perspective.
These are UK's recruiting ranks since 2002:

UK’s class rankings since 2002

2002: 94
2003: 63
2004: 52
2005: 67
2006: 36
2007: 54
2008: 57
2009: 41
2010: 50
2011: 61
2012: 62
2013: 28

One year we had # 36 and one year # 41 and everything else 50 or higher.
Now mind you, UK went to 4 straight Bowls during those years. The difference is we just couldnt hold our own against SEC teams.
If we could go 4-0 against Non conference which we did several times and win against a Vandy/Miss State type in SEC, that got us to 6 wins.
I think classes like this will help us start closing the gap on the rest of these SEC teams.
Coach Stoops did this coming off a 2 win season. Let's win 6 in 2013 and see what he can do...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BTW...yes I know 6 can would be quite an accomplishment but dont doubt the Stoop's Troops ! :D

It all depends on who's countin'. Scout.com has UK at 39:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

jmac
02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
It all depends on who's countin'. Scout.com has UK at 39:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

Yes, there are several to go by. They were 35 in the one I listed till Hatcher commited which moved us up in this one.
If I go by Scout's ranking though, it is still an exceptional job by Stoops in a short period of time.

jmac
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Going by Scout's "early" 2014 rankings....we are 15th :D

http://kentucky.scout.com/a.z?s=48&p=9&c=14&yr=2014

Boston Red
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Texas already has SIX four star commitments for 2014?!? Amazing.

WMR
02-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Texas is impressive, they underperform in both major sports.

I'm calling the upset over UL right now!!

Air Raid Incoming!! :D

jmac
02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Bill Greene (Ohio Recruiting Guru) says UK could be getting good 4 star news in the next week or so.

Hopefully one is Ohio's 4-Star 2014 WR Thaddeus Snodgrass, who left Lexington this weekend with the Wildcats as his #1 choice.

Wide Receiver

6’1”, 184 lbs.
Springfield, OH

Rivals: #198 Overall
24/7: #144 Overall, #18 Wide Receiver
Scout: #23 Wide Receiver

Top Schools: Kentucky, South Carolina, Penn State, Ohio State and many more

jmac
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I think the site was down around this happening so just to update on UK football : The Spring game !

spring game ticket sales are now up to 29,538. Read that number again. Last year’s spring game had a little over 4,000 people in attendance.

Now the ticket sales just started this week...so anyone think that total will continue to grow ? :D

jmac
03-02-2013, 10:15 AM
More news from the week :

Defensive Tackle
6’4”, 320 lbs.
Fullerton, CA

Chose UK Over: Miami (FL) and Washington

Twitter: @BigMel94

Defensive line Coach Jimmy Brumbaugh added another big body to the defensive line yesterday with the addition of JUCO DT Melvin Lewis. Like Za’Darius Smith, Lewis attended JUCO after only playing a couple high school football seasons. The difference between the two is that Lewis will likely redshirt this season and expects to start in his final two years of eligibility. Last season at Fullerton Community College Lewis racked up 41 tackles (26 solo) and 3.5 sacks.

jmac
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I told someone the other day....the 2 most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013 :

The Spring Game

and

The Blue/White Game

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WMR
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Those aren't the most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013...

definitely looking forward to them, but that's hyperbole.

jmac
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
;)
Those aren't the most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013...

definitely looking forward to them, but that's hyperbole.
Merely making a statement jokingly comparing the new outlook for football and the Basketball recruiting class coming in.
Common sense says we are looking forward to seasonal games.No need to dissect everything.
Guess I should have put a big grin.

WMR
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Merely making a statement jokingly comparing the new outlook for football and the Basketball recruiting class coming in.
No need to dissect everything. ;)

I know, just saying.

How about we're looking foward to those two events more than anything UK football or basketball produced this year? :D

jmac
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I know, just saying.

How about we're looking foward to those two events more than anything UK football or basketball produced this year? :D

Works for me ! :D

WMR
03-02-2013, 09:54 PM
have you seen the workout videos UK athletics has been posting on youtube? You should run them down if you haven't. Strangely, there was no mention of ice cream or pool parties. :rolleyes: :lol:

jmac
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
have you seen the workout videos UK athletics has been posting on youtube? You should run them down if you haven't. Strangely, there was no mention of ice cream or pool parties. :rolleyes: :lol:

Yes. Went to post one today but it didnt do as I wanted. Very impressive though !! Any UK football fans need to check it out.
Type in "Mark Stoops training" and scroll down and you will see it under winter conditioning. :thumbup:

5TimeWSChamps
03-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Within 3 years they will be in a New Years Day caliber bowl.

Would love to see them in the Chick-Fila Bowl.

Hopefully against Clemson, we owe them one for Marty Moore.

And 12/31 in a game that always sells out, would be great

Revering4Blue
03-03-2013, 11:27 AM

That '93 team, with Pookie Jones at QB, running the stacked-I formation, was fun to watch.

Side note: 1993 was also the last season that both UK and IU both played in bowl games. And, if I'm not mistaken, Howard Schnellenberger's best Louisville team was that year, also.

Not bad for "basketball" schools, which too often is used as a cop-out by fan bases to justify sub-par football. But, to the credit of UK fans, I've never witnessed that kind of defeatist attitude from your end.

jmac
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM

That Clemson Bowl game was a microcosm of UK football for so long. That play and so many games that turned on freak plays. That Sabin led LSU loss on the last play.:oops:
I even remember a game where Lorezen threw a "touchdown" to a wide open receiver running in the clear (at Georgia) only to have him fumble at the goal line without being touched by a defender. :runawaycry:
Yes we have certainly had our moments. Hopefully you are right about the Bowl ! :rockband:

jmac
03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Potential transfer ?

With a week until spring football, the good news just keeps on coming. Braylon Heard, a sophomore running back at Nebraska, has decided to transfer, and it appears that Kentucky is very high on his list. Heard is from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, which should sound very familiar to you by now since it’s the alma mater of both Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow, who was on Nebraska’s staff prior to leaving for UK. Coming out of high school, the four-star Heard was ranked the fifth best running back in the nation and the 57th overall player in the 2010 class. Last year, he averaged 6.69 yards per carry in 55 attempts and scored three touchdowns, but was unhappy with his reduced role in the Husker offense.

Heard will visit Kentucky in the coming weeks, along with West Virginia, Pitt, and potentially Louisville. He’s been granted an unconditional release by Nebraska, and will be available for the 2014 season as a redshirt junior.

jmac
03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
UK Target : Drew Barker

-Drew Barker-‏@D_Barker7
I have committed to play in the 2014 Army All-American game! @ArmyAllAmerican

I have a feeling this kid is going to be special, wherever he goes.

jmac
03-17-2013, 09:54 PM
2 tidbits:

Spring Practice starts this week ! :clap::clap::clap::clap::party::party::party:

and

Drew Barker visits USC (Spurrier) this weekend : :duel:

jmac
03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Probably odds are slim but at least it is new territory being in articles like this :

Odds Kentucky out-Recruits Georgia, Alabama for 4-Star DE Dante Sawyer

The Kentucky Wildcats are in the running with the Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama Crimson Tide for the commitment of 4-star weak-side defensive end Dante Sawyer.

Come again?

Sawyer is an extremely talented recruit who projects to be good at the college level. He checks in at 6'3'', 240 pounds and is ranked as the No. 14 weak-side defensive end in the 2014 class, according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

He's from Suwanee, Ga., so it makes sense that the Bulldogs are involved, and Alabama is always in the mix with big-time recruits—but Kentucky?

According to Kipp Adams of ESPN.com, the Wildcats are in Sawyer's top three:

Sawyer says for the most part he considers all of the schools that have offered to be on equal ground, but then admitted that three programs stand out at the moment, with one school possibly in the lead.

“Kentucky, Alabama and UGA are my top three, with Tennessee coming strong,” Sawyer said.

He goes on to talk about how Kentucky is recruiting him:

“Kentucky is showing me a lot of love right now, and I like their facilities and what they are about to do,” Sawyer said. “They write me every day, I stay in contact with them daily and they are doing everything they can to try and get me. They are recruiting me more aggressively than anyone right now.”

With that said, Alabama may very well be the leader for his commitment, per Adams' report:

If Georgia, Kentucky or any other school is going to sign Sawyer, they might have to beat out the back-to-back defending National Champions.

“I am always going to love Alabama,” Sawyer said. “I feel like Tuscaloosa, Ala., is a second home to me and me and Coach (Kirby) Smart are really cool. They might be the team to beat right now.”

Before we go any further, I would be remiss not to give Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops all the credit in the world. The fact that the Wildcats are even in this conversation is a huge testament to his abilities as a recruiter. Stoops is the right guy for the job at Kentucky, and if he can make that football program relevant at all in the SEC—that says a lot about him as a coach.

jmac
03-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Neal Brown teaching the guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LXch6Y7OrCA

jmac
03-22-2013, 10:18 PM
According to Justin Rowland, 2014 Ohio LB Dorian Hendrix has committed to the Cats.

The 6’1″ 215 lbs. Hendrix committed during his unofficial visit to UK this afternoon, and also had offers from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and others, along with interest from Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue and Tennessee. He’s currently unranked by Rivals, but 247 Sports lists him as the 25th best inside linebacker in the nation and 29th best prospect in the state of Ohio in the 2014 class.

jmac
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Over 33,000 tickets now purchased for Spring Game. :thumbup:

BillDoran
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Drew Barker talks about getting 115 letters in 1 day from UK
Posted on March 26, 2013 by Steve Jones

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/files/2013/03/IMG_2516.jpg

Drew Barker is used to getting a lot of mail.

As one of the nation?s most heavily recruited quarterbacks, the Conner High School junior usually finds 15 to 20 letters in all each day from the multitude of college football coaches who want him to play for their team.

Tuesday, however, was an exceptionally busy day at the mailbox, thanks to Kentucky coach Mark Stoops and his staff.

Barker received 115 hand-written letters from the UK staff alone, with each coach, offense and defense, telling him he?s the Wildcats? No. 1 recruiting priority in 2014.

?I opened up the mailbox like I do every day, and they started falling out,? said Barker, a four-star player ranked as the nation?s No. 153 junior by Rivals.com. ?I was like, ?Oh, my gosh.? It was insane what it looked like in my mailbox. It was all crammed in there, and they had a bunch of rubber bands around them. It was pretty awesome, and I was pretty shocked.?

Barker posted a picture of the letters laid out, nearly covering his entire kitchen table.

All of the envelopes were ?customized,? Barker said, with his No. 7 written somewhere on the outside and ?my name?s all decorated,? and each letter had a different message.

He said the most pieces of mail he had previously received from a single school was about 50 from South Carolina, and he said he?s gotten 40 a couple times from other teams.

Barker said he received about 150 letters in all on Tuesday, including others from North Carolina State, Louisiana State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Mississippi State and more.

Those schools all sent one or two pieces of mail apiece. Barker said Stoops, himself, wrote about 10 letters.

?I?ve seen some other crazy pictures of guys getting a bunch of letters in the mail, but I?ve never really seen 115,? the said. ?That was pretty nuts. I didn?t really know what to think.?

cont...

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rec...n-one-from-uk/

Boston Red
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Recruiting is stupid.

And I'm not saying anything negative about Stoops or UK. If this tactic is effective for this particular player, then more power to them. But it's just another example of how stupid this whole process is.

BillDoran
03-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Recruiting is stupid.

And I'm not saying anything negative about Stoops or UK. If this tactic is effective for this particular player, then more power to them. But it's just another example of how stupid this whole process is.

Agreed. No blame goes to Stoops or any other staff - all successful programs send these massive batches of mail. If you want to recruit with the big boys, the rules almost dictate you pull stunts like this. It's just another example of how poorly run the NCAA is. Recruiting is completely, and IMO irreparably, out of control, both legally and illegally. They have no grasp on it whatsoever.

That said, Barker looks like a good one. Hope he's the QB that leads UK to prominence.

jmac
03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
News : Decommit has UK as favorite

DJ Gillins decommits from Texas Tech

Gillins is ranked as a 5.9 4-star player and the 103rd ranked player overall in the 2014 class and is on ESPN's 2014 Top 250 Watch List. According to @RecruitKentucky, Gillins sent him this over direct message on Twitter:

"wassup man. Kentucky offered me and I'm going to their spring game on April 13″

jmac
04-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Another possibility :

4-star running back Stanley “Boom” Williams de-committed from Georgia earlier today, and apparently Kentucky is now in the mix. “Boom” is the 8th best all-purpose back in the 2014 class and he has offers from Arizona, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, LSU, South Carolina, Notre Dame and Oregon.

jmac
04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Today's news :

Per Justin Rowland of Rivals, UK has extended an offer to stud 2014 offensive lineman Ty Barrett. The Dallas, TX native (Skyline High School) is an absolute monster of an offensive tackle, listed at 6-5, 309. He also holds offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and WVU, among others.
According to Rowland, Barrett “is now one of the Cats’ top OL targets

jmac
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
On today's practice :

On to the Football… the overall message of both Coach Stoops and Brown was that the offense whipped the defense today. Stoops started off by saying that he had never had one side of the ball dominate the other in a scrimmage like he had today. He was very pleased with the offense, but was “very disappointed,” in the defensive output in today’s practice.

So pleased with offense and dissappointed with defense. :p

I seen a tweet earlier today by Neal Brown where he said, today was the first day that looked like an SEC offense being run. :)

jmac
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
As of friday :
42,000 tickets out for Spring Game
4,500 at last year's

jmac
04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
All early commitments obviously might change like this one for example: He would have been a good one !

After reaffirming his verbal commitment to UK a few weeks ago, 2014 4-star defensive end Denzel Ware has decommited from UK. Ware tweeted the following message earlier tonight:

“I wanna thank bbn and every coach at UK but I have decided its best for me to decommit and look at my options my next commitment will be my last.”

jmac
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I seen where the Game saturday is going to be on in Lexington delayed. Does anyone know if that is just a local channel there or is the UK network carrying it delayed ?

cumberlandreds
04-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I seen where the Game saturday is going to be on in Lexington delayed. Does anyone know if that is just a local channel there or is the UK network carrying it delayed ?

FSN South is showing it on a delayed basis in the southern states. If you get DirecTV you shold get this on one of the FSN South alternate channels.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041013aaa.html

jmac
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
FSN South is showing it on a delayed basis in the southern states. If you get DirecTV you shold get this on one of the FSN South alternate channels.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041013aaa.html
Much appreciated ! ;)

jmac
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Bill Greene (Ohio Recruiting Guru) says UK could be getting good 4 star news in the next week or so.

Hopefully one is Ohio's 4-Star 2014 WR Thaddeus Snodgrass, who left Lexington this weekend with the Wildcats as his #1 choice.

Wide Receiver

6’1”, 184 lbs.
Springfield, OH

Rivals: #198 Overall
24/7: #144 Overall, #18 Wide Receiver
Scout: #23 Wide Receiver

Top Schools: Kentucky, South Carolina, Penn State, Ohio State and many more
Snodgrass chose the Bluegrass yesterday ! :thumbup:
Chose UK over Notre Dame, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State.

jmac
04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Spring game tonight !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQFCNSutR6s&feature=player_embedded

LoganBuck
04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Snodgrass chose the Bluegrass yesterday ! :thumbup:
Chose UK over Notre Dame, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State.

Good get for UK, Snodgrass is a nice talent, was being slow played by Ohio State while Urban was fishing for bigger talent. UK is getting a good one.

jmac
04-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Good get for UK, Snodgrass is a nice talent, was being slow played by Ohio State while Urban was fishing for bigger talent. UK is getting a good one.

I think so too and at UK, he can help immediately.
Some of these kids like this may not have been starters right away at these other schools but UK has to get a few here and there to build the program. Like I told a guy after that kid transferred from Nebraska to UK, "I dont care a bit to take a Neb/OSU/Ala second or third stringer. :D

jimbo
04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
It's impressive how much Stoops has accomplished already, without even playing a single game yet. Really exciting time for UK football.

jmac
04-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Tonight's attendance: 50,831

cumberlandreds
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Tonight's attendance: 50,831

That is amazing! I hope the results on the field can be just as good.

LexRedsFan
04-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I was there last night. Great, great time. It felt like a regular season game in the parking lots before the game.

jmac
04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Great to see Clemons back as he can be a huge contributor.
Za Darius Smith ! # 94...wow...you will hear his name alot !
I thought with Brown's system, Towles and Smith would battle it out. Someone said a few weeks ago, dont count out Whitlow. They were right. The kid was very impressive and right now and I would rank them at "this moment" :
Whitlow-Smith-Towles.

jmac
04-16-2013, 11:41 PM
#94 ZaDarius Smith showed in the Spring game he is a game changer on defense.

jmac
04-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Steve Borden now plays for UK. He is the son of Wrestler "Sting".
Attached is a photo of Sting in UK attire. (in middle)

jmac
04-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Spring Game Catwalk !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=udxiD0UP-rk

jmac
04-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Mike Horton, a 4 star running back from Westchester, OH becomes Stoops 3rd verbal for the 2014 class.

Rivals: #22 RB, #209 overall
Scout: #53 RB
247: #49 RB

Chose UK Over: Florida State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Cincinnati and several others.

jmac
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Like this Stoops tweet : :thumbup:

Mark Stoops ✔ @UKCoachStoops

Operation Wildcat Storm starts Monday.. all of my coaches will be out in full force in KY and OH! Key areas for us. We recruit everyday!

jmac
04-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I was there last night. Great, great time. It felt like a regular season game in the parking lots before the game.
How did you think the QB's looked ?

jmac
04-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike Horton, a 4 star running back from Westchester, OH becomes Stoops 3rd verbal for the 2014 class.

Rivals: #22 RB, #209 overall
Scout: #53 RB
247: #49 RB

Chose UK Over: Florida State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Cincinnati and several others.
A tweet :

J.Rowland @RowlandRIVALS

Horton's commitment means #UK now has pledges from three prospects that will be ranked among Ohio's Top 25 seniors, or contend for that.

jmac
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
More news today for new Cats and both from Ohio:

Darryl Long, a 3-star TE, who will end up a 4 star, out of the class of 2014 in Ohio, just announced that he will attend Kentucky next year.

and shortly thereafter :

Shortly after hearing of Darryl Long’s commitment to Kentucky, DE Tymere Dubose decided he wanted to come on down too. Dubose (who is from Ohio) has chosen Kentucky over Michigan State, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Maryland. At 6’6″ and 260 lbs, Dubose will be a force to be reckoned with on the defensive line

jmac
05-02-2013, 10:20 PM
With things a little slow following the Spring game, here is a little info on Za' Darius Smith who will be a major factor on defense. Great job by Stoops to get a top juco who can help right away.

Junior College: The nation's No. 1 junior college strongside defensive end prospect as ranked by JCGridiron.com ... The nation's No. 10 overall juco prospect, and No. 2 defensive end, by ESPN ... Listed No. 15 overall, and the No. 2 weakside defensive end, by 24/7 Sports ... Totaled 47 tackles, including 6.5 quarterback sacks and 11 total tackles for loss, as a sophomore at East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, Miss. ... Named second-team All-America by the National Junior College Athletic Association ... Also named to the juco all-region and all-state teams ... Helped EMCC to an 8-2 record ... Made 19 tackles, featuring 4.5 sacks and seven total TFL, as a freshman ... EMCC won the 2011 NJCAA national championship with a 12-0 mark ..
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/895330_zps6cc9d797.jpg

jmac
05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Brown said he was looking for the next Tim Couch. Of course, just so happens they are recruiting this kid named Barker. :p
The USC mentioned is Spurrier's guys and not the Trojans.

QB Drew Barker of Hebron, KY announced Thursday he will make his college decision known on May 10th. He plans to reveal the choice at a ceremony at his school at 3:30 PM. Barker confirmed Thursday night he is choosing between USC, Kentucky and Tennessee.

jmac
05-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Got to say I agree with MB on this. Kentucky would definitely not benefit from a 9 game SEC schedule.

Mitch Barnhart is not in favor of the SEC adding a league game to increase the conference schedule to nine.
“Nine (league) games is not something we favor. I do not think a nine-game schedule would serve Kentucky well.”

“History says it’s very difficult for us to have the level of depth, the second, third, fourth lines of players, that some of the other schools in our league have just as a means of their in-state recruiting situations. When we have to play a long line of league games, it’s a grind, our teams can get beaten up physically. It’s better for us, for our players, when the schedule allows us to have some so-called breathers, so that our kids can sort of restore themselves physically in-season.”

5TimeWSChamps
05-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Come on Barker.

Boston Red
05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Got to say I agree with MB on this. Kentucky would definitely not benefit from a 9 game SEC schedule.

Mitch Barnhart is not in favor of the SEC adding a league game to increase the conference schedule to nine.
“Nine (league) games is not something we favor. I do not think a nine-game schedule would serve Kentucky well.”

“History says it’s very difficult for us to have the level of depth, the second, third, fourth lines of players, that some of the other schools in our league have just as a means of their in-state recruiting situations. When we have to play a long line of league games, it’s a grind, our teams can get beaten up physically. It’s better for us, for our players, when the schedule allows us to have some so-called breathers, so that our kids can sort of restore themselves physically in-season.”

I assume a 9 game SEC schedule would effectively end the Louisville/Kentucky football series. I cannot imagine UK will want to play anything but expected gimmes in the non-conference if they are going to play 9 SEC games.

joshnky
05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I assume a 9 game SEC schedule would effectively end the Louisville/Kentucky football series. I cannot imagine UK will want to play anything but expected gimmes in the non-conference if they are going to play 9 SEC games.

Are there any UK fans that would be fine with that? Every UK fan I know hates the idea but that is probably biased by living in Louisville.

5TimeWSChamps
05-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Barker committed.

Awesome

jmac
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Barker : “Coach Brown told me they’re going to pass it low 50s or upper 40s every game.”

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/Barker-Kentucky1-500x274_zps586d0b41.png (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/josephmac13/media/Barker-Kentucky1-500x274_zps586d0b41.png.html)

jmac
05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Are there any UK fans that would be fine with that? Every UK fan I know hates the idea but that is probably biased by living in Louisville.
For a team trying to build itself back up again, I sure wouldnt want to play 9 SEC games. As stated above, it would almost assuredly end the U of L series.

cumberlandreds
05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
For a team trying to build itself back up again, I sure wouldnt want to play 9 SEC games. As stated above, it would almost assuredly end the U of L series.

They should drop UL if they go to 9 games. UK needs three bunnies to build that record every year. UL will never be a bunny just for the rivalry aspect alone.

Great recruit in Barker. Hopefully he's the cornerstone of UK coming to be, at least, very competitive in the SEC.

WMR
05-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Taking a QB away from the Ole Balls Coach... not too shabby.

WVRed
05-10-2013, 08:13 PM

I'm kinda mixed.

On one hand, its a state rivalry and UK would be looked at as running scared. The state would miss out on revenue being spent selling out two stadiums that likely wouldn't be replaced by the two scheduling a lesser team, and with Stoops coming to Kentucky, expectations for knocking off Louisville in the future are going to be at a fever pitch.

On the other, it's not as big a rivalry as basketball and if Louisville is the difference between making a bowl game or not, it's a tough sell.

Living in West Virginia, it's kinda like WVU-Marshall, except UK-UofL is a little more even in terms of talent. Once WVU left for the Big 12, it pretty much ended the Friends of Coal Bowl (although it would have likely been ended anyways). My biggest fear would be that if talk of the series were to end that politicians (Mitch McConnell, who is up for re-election and is going to be facing competition) decide to stay out of it. Joe Manchin was the reason WVU and Marshall got together to begin with.

Which brings me to another point, I think the bowl games are over-saturated as is. Most UK fans are happy with making it to Nashville for the Music City Bowl year in and year out but there are a lot higher expectations at other schools (WVU in particular, where I know people who wanted Oliver Luck to turn down the Pinstripe Bowl because they didn't feel they deserved to be in a bowl game). I want to see Kentucky in contention for a BCS spot sometime in my lifetime, not just settling for a lesser bowl bid. Even the Outback Bowl again would be an improvement.

jmac
05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
More on Barker:

Another quote from Barker, who's listed as the 6th best quarterback in the 2014 class and picked Kentucky over South Carolina and Tennessee this afternoon . Barker said that “six months ago, I couldn’t imagine putting on a UK cap today.” Barker went on to say that new coach Mark Stoops has turned things around. Joker Phillips didn’t even know who Drew Barker was after he attended a UK camp last year.

Boston Red
05-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Living in West Virginia, it's kinda like WVU-Marshall, except UK-UofL is a little more even in terms of talent.

It's really nothing like WV/Marshall other than maybe during the Petrino era when Louisville was pounding UK most years or right at the end of the Ron Cooper era/first year of the JLS era when Tim Couch's teams blasted Louisville twice. There was never the perceived gap in quality of programs like in WV/Marshall. I mean, the year before the series renewed, Louisville beat Texas, Arizona State, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. No rational person thought UK was out of Louisville's league.

There's really not a good comparison I can think of for a rivarly in football. Maybe NC State/UNC?

Both teams can live without the game, I suppose, but it's almost always the toughest ticket for both teams and guarantees a sellout (which neither team really is sure of against any other opponent on a regular basis). Seems silly for the teams not to play, but I can understand why it might happen.

WMR
05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
UK is a perennial top 25 in National Attendance even with horrible teams. UL nowhere close to that, the high school schedule they play doesn't help but the pizza pit doesn't hold that many anyway.

UK should never have agreed to play UL in football in the first place.

jmac
05-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Read this article today ( posting a portion) on UK's OC Neal Brown:

When you think of up-tempo college football offenses; ones with option quarterbacks and high speed tailbacks, often names like Chip Kelly, Rich Rodriguez, and Gus Malzahn come to mind. Their fast paced offenses are not a new fad in football, it is a strategy many teams focus on but few can perfect. Fast-paced offenses result in more snaps per game, which in theory translates to more points. In its most simple terms: rather than attempt to hold your opponents without scoring, the goal is to simply score more than your opponent. Piling on, if you will. It strays away from the concept of “defense wins championships” and focuses on as many points as possible. The downside is it forces your own defense to play more snaps, which, if your team is not balanced, may result in a broken philosophy.http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/cfb-snaps-per-game-500x258_zpsa2b4a73a.jpg (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/josephmac13/media/cfb-snaps-per-game-500x258_zpsa2b4a73a.jpg.html)
If you run a high octane offense, a defensive balance is a must. Fortunately for Kentucky football, it seems to be focusing in the right areas. Hiring a defensive minded head coach who created one of the most ferocious units in the country over the last couple of years, and bringing in one of the most explosive offensive minds in the game, the Cats appear to have it figured out. On paper, it seems to be a match made in heaven.

As story states, Stoops defensive mind will hopefully compliment Brown perfectly. :thumbup:

WVRed
05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
It's really nothing like WV/Marshall other than maybe during the Petrino era when Louisville was pounding UK most years or right at the end of the Ron Cooper era/first year of the JLS era when Tim Couch's teams blasted Louisville twice. There was never the perceived gap in quality of programs like in WV/Marshall. I mean, the year before the series renewed, Louisville beat Texas, Arizona State, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. No rational person thought UK was out of Louisville's league.

There's really not a good comparison I can think of for a rivarly in football. Maybe NC State/UNC?

Both teams can live without the game, I suppose, but it's almost always the toughest ticket for both teams and guarantees a sellout (which neither team really is sure of against any other opponent on a regular basis). Seems silly for the teams not to play, but I can understand why it might happen.

That's why I said UK UofL is more even in terms of talent. It is similar in that it's an in state rivarly being talked about ending, although the other one is extremely lopsided in terms of talent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Boston Red
05-11-2013, 07:56 PM
That's why I said UK UofL is more even in terms of talent. It is similar in that it's an in state rivarly being talked about ending, although the other one is extremely lopsided in terms of talent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Other than the fact that both series could potentially end, I don't really see ANY similarity between the two series.

WMR
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Pretty similar in terms of relative fan base size. Marshall might actually have a larger % of fans in WV than UL does in KY.

jmac
05-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Lost out today for 4-star receiver Lonnie Johnson who picked OSU (Buckeyes) a few minutes ago. Glad we are now in competition for some of these kids though.

jmac
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
After losing out on one yesterday, Stoops gets back on track :

Three-star safety Kobie Walker pledged his commitment to Mark Stoops and the Wildcats.
Walker, out of Olney, Maryland, also had offers from Arizona, Miami, NC State, Wisconsin and Oklahoma State, among others. He’s the 36th-ranked safety in the 2014 class according to Rivals.com.

redhawkfish
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Are there any bad seats in Commonwealth stadium? I am going to buy tickets for the Miami RedHawks game there in early September.

Captain13
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Are there any bad seats in Commonwealth stadium? I am going to buy tickets for the Miami RedHawks game there in early September.

Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium without many bad seats. That being said, avoid the corners in the upper deck and if you are going to wear red do NOT sit near the student section. I don't know if they would be as bad to Miami fans, but UofL fans are tormented mercilessly near the student section. I have seen several games at Commonwealth and have had a generally good experience and I wear red (just not near the student section).

redhawkfish
05-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium without many bad seats. That being said, avoid the corners in the upper deck and if you are going to wear red do NOT sit near the student section. I don't know if they would be as bad to Miami fans, but UofL fans are tormented mercilessly near the student section. I have seen several games at Commonwealth and have had a generally good experience and I wear red (just not near the student section).

Thanks Captain!:thumbup:

jmac
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Weekend news :

Mark Stoops and the football staff received a commitment from Jarrett LaRubbio, a 6’5”, 260 lb. offensive guard on Saturday. LaRubbio, ranked 16th at his position by Rivals.com, is from....Ohio. ;)
The pipeline from Ohio to Lexington keeps feeding the program and now six of the current eight commitments in Kentucky’s 2014 class are from the Buckeye state.
LaRubbio chose the Wildcats over Nebraska, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Vandy, and Arizona State, among others.

jmac
05-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Wednesday's news:

On Wednesday, the 2014 UK football class got a little bit bigger. Three-star safety Jared Tucker committed to UK during his visit to Lexington, choosing the Cats over Miami, Mississippi State, Louisville, Ole Miss, Florida, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and many others

WMR
05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Stoops is killing it so far. I especially love the emphasis on recruiting Ohio.

LoganBuck
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Stoops is killing it so far. I especially love the emphasis on recruiting Ohio.

Uc and the second tier BIGTen teams have to step up their game.

jmac
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I know there's still alot of recruiting to do but to see UK on this list is a big :clap::clap::clap::clap: for Coach Stoops. Also , with 4 stars like Edwards and Elam still out there and a strong possibility, who says UK cant stay in the Top 20 rankings.....
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/rivals-rankings-500x637_zps83d84026.jpg (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/josephmac13/media/rivals-rankings-500x637_zps83d84026.jpg.html)

Joseph
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
To further sell the point about how good the SEC is above and beyond the others. 6 of those schools are SEC.

jmac
06-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Sunday news:

late Sunday night, JUCO corner Shyquawn Pullium committed to Kentucky. Pullium is a former Penn State commit out of the 2010 class who can give the Cats help at a spot where they need it the most. He will be the tenth member of UK’s 2014 class. He had offers from the Cats, Cincinnati, and Arizona State.

jmac
06-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Time set for opener:
In UK football news, it was announced on Monday that Kentucky’s season opener against Western Kentucky will kick off at 7:00 p.m. ET at LP Field in Nashville

WVRed
06-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Uc and the second tier BIGTen teams have to step up their game.

I love the recruits in Ohio that Stoops is going after though.

Urban Meyer has continued Tressel's tradition of locking down the state's top players for the Buckeyes, but the state as a whole is such a fertile ground for recruiting that players who would never see the field at Ohio State are giving Kentucky a look.

I do disagree that it's just UC and the second tier Big Ten teams (depending on who you define as "second tier"). Kentucky is beating other teams who share a border such as WVU for the same recruits.

If Kentucky starts to win within 2-3 years with the recruits Stoops is bringing in, and the SEC continues its dominance, I wouldn't be shocked if UK is challenging for top recruits in the Buckeye State. That being said, if that happens, I think Stoops will leave for greener pastures before it's said and done (I think that happens anyways and Neal Brown is the head coach of the future).

Boston Red
06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Time set for opener:
In UK football news, it was announced on Monday that Kentucky’s season opener against Western Kentucky will kick off at 7:00 p.m. ET at LP Field in Nashville

Thursday night game? That should be outstanding television.

LoganBuck
06-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I love the recruits in Ohio that Stoops is going after though.

Urban Meyer has continued Tressel's tradition of locking down the state's top players for the Buckeyes, but the state as a whole is such a fertile ground for recruiting that players who would never see the field at Ohio State are giving Kentucky a look.

I do disagree that it's just UC and the second tier Big Ten teams (depending on who you define as "second tier"). Kentucky is beating other teams who share a border such as WVU for the same recruits.

If Kentucky starts to win within 2-3 years with the recruits Stoops is bringing in, and the SEC continues its dominance, I wouldn't be shocked if UK is challenging for top recruits in the Buckeye State. That being said, if that happens, I think Stoops will leave for greener pastures before it's said and done (I think that happens anyways and Neal Brown is the head coach of the future).

The top tier recruits in Ohio over the last decade who haven't gone to Ohio State(that Ohio State wanted), have gone to in no order.

Notre Dame
Michigan
USC
Alabama
Texas
Tennessee
Oregon
Michigan State
Illinois
There may have been one that went to Penn State

I can not recall any other schools taking a kid out of Ohio that Ohio State truly wanted. Notre Dame and Michigan will always get their share. Kentucky would do very well to be in place to take the Mat Lights of the world away from the Purdues, Michigan States, and Indianas.

New York Red
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Thursday night game? That should be outstanding television.
It's a Saturday night.

jmac
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Another recruit joins :

JUCO outside linebacker Ryan Flannigan has committed to Mark Stoops and the University of Kentucky. Flannigan attended Blinn Community College in Texas, where he was teammates with cornerback Shyquawn Pullium, who committed to the Cats on Sunday night. Flannigan was ranked a three-star out of high school, when he originally committed to Texas Tech. At the time, he was ranked the 60th best OLB in the nation.

He’s 6’1″, 220 lbs., and picked the Cats over Arizona State, Cincinnati, Houston, and Texas Tech. He’ll bring some much-needed depth to one of Kentucky’s weakest areas.

Joseph
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Not that I'm unhappy to get a recruit in this day and age, but nothing is less exciting than referring to a player as 'depth'.

wolfboy
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Not that I'm unhappy to get a recruit in this day and age, but nothing is less exciting than referring to a player as 'depth'.

Seriously?

Joseph
06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Seriously?

No I posted it as part of my new stand up routine.

WMR
06-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I understand what you're saying, but we should be happy to sign any player that provides legit d-1 depth. We're woefully short of that at the moment thanks to The Joke.

wolfboy
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
No I posted it as part of my new stand up routine.

I figured I'd check since you're apparently unaware of the following: (i) this guy had several BCS offers; (ii) depth is a necessity; (iii) no one outside of Alabama should complain about depth in the form of a three star recruit; and, (iv) Kentucky hasn't won a bowl since 2008, so the fact that a three star recruit is categorized as "depth" is pretty darn impressive.

Joseph
06-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Like I said, not at all unhappy about finally being chosen to dance instead of standing on the wall watching everyone else dance.

jmac
06-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Major recruit right here recommits today : lets hope he stays :)

Denzel Ware withdrew his commitment in April only to re-commit on Sunday, June 9.

Ware (Crestview, Fla.) was initially Kentucky's first football commit from the 2014 class.

Depending on what scouting service you look at, Ware is ranked as the no. 45 to 80 prospect in the country.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound defensive end is the highest-ranked player (no. 45 according to 247Sports.com) among Kentucky's commits.

Ware's first commitment was to Florida State before switching to Kentucky when Mark Stoops and D.J. Eliot (defensive coordinator) moved from Tallahassee to Lexington.

Ware, UK's 12th commit from the 2014 class, also has offers from Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas among others.

jmac
06-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Mondays news:

According to Justin Rowland, 3-star safety Mike Edwards has finally committed to Kentucky. Edwards, who is in Lexington today with the 2014 commits, chose the Cats over Louisville, Nebraska, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Vandy. His commitment pushes Kentucky into Rivals’ TOP TEN recruiting classes nationally.

jmac
06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
With Edwards and Ware's commits, UK has moved up in the current recruiting rankings.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/Screen-shot-2013-06-10-at-4_24_00-PM-500x600_zpsa92262a5.png (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/josephmac13/media/Screen-shot-2013-06-10-at-4_24_00-PM-500x600_zpsa92262a5.png.html)

WVRed
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Mondays news:

According to Justin Rowland, 3-star safety Mike Edwards has finally committed to Kentucky. Edwards, who is in Lexington today with the 2014 commits, chose the Cats over Louisville, Nebraska, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Vandy. His commitment pushes Kentucky into Rivals’ TOP TEN recruiting classes nationally.

Just from the state of Ohio:

Mike Edwards (CB)
Darius West (S)
Thaddeus Snodgrass (WR)
Jarrett LaRubio (OG)
Darryl Long (TE)
Tymere Dubose (DE)
Mikel Horton (RB)
Dorian Hendrix (LB)

Also recruiting Derek Kief as well. Would love to get a big body for the Air Raid and he fits the bill.

Not to mention Marcus McWilson last year. Stoops is killing it in Ohio.

jmac
06-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Just from the state of Ohio:

Mike Edwards (CB)
Darius West (S)
Thaddeus Snodgrass (WR)
Jarrett LaRubio (OG)
Darryl Long (TE)
Tymere Dubose (DE)
Mikel Horton (RB)
Dorian Hendrix (LB)

Also recruiting Derek Kief as well. Would love to get a big body for the Air Raid and he fits the bill.

Not to mention Marcus McWilson last year. Stoops is killing it in Ohio.
Here is a snipet on what you were saying :
Speaking of Ohio, how dominant have Vince Marrow and company been in the Buckeye State so far? They’ve got commitments from the 4th, 5th, 8th, 19th, 29th, 32nd and 34th ranked players in the state, and they’ve only just begun the summer recruiting season.

BillDoran
06-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Here is a snipet on what you were saying :
Speaking of Ohio, how dominant have Vince Marrow and company been in the Buckeye State so far? They’ve got commitments from the 4th, 5th, 8th, 19th, 29th, 32nd and 34th ranked players in the state, and they’ve only just begun the summer recruiting season.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I'm not sure many would agree that West, Edwards, Snoddgrass, etc. rank quite so high. According to 247's rankings, UK's got the 13th (West), 23rd (Edwards), 27th (Hendrix), 28th (Snoddgrass), 30th (Snoddgrass), 39th (Long), and 40th (LaRubbio) best players in the state.

Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but not 3 of the top 10.

jmac
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
More news today : brings UK total number to 15

3 -star linebacker Nico Firios just committed to Kentucky over Louisville, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Indiana, Rutgers, USF, and others. He’s considered the 18th best inside linebacker in the country by ESPN

jmac
06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Most have felt pretty good about Matt Elam eventually picking UK over Bama. OSU has jumped in and then this post on Elam's twitter today:

Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣ @FballIsLife69
Notre Dame Just Offered Me A Full Ride Scholarship !!!!

Looks like UK will be battling ND as well for this kid. Sounds pretty excited too in the tweet I might add. Come on Stoops' ...do your thing :D

jmac
06-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Seen this today : (obviously picture mentioned in article not included)

Defensive end Denzel Ware recommitted to Kentucky over the weekend, but that doesn’t mean that other schools are going to stop going after him. Ware posted the picture above on Twitter of a conversation between him and Louisville assistant coach Ron Dugans, and followed it up with “Turned down Louisville today CANT NO SCHOOL CHANGE MY MIND #BBN LETS GO”.

The possibility does exist however that some of these kids could always be swayed in the months to come.

Joseph
06-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Is that former Bengal Ron Dugans?

jmac
06-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Is that former Bengal Ron Dugans?
I'm not sure. Maybe someone on here knows.

jmac
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Here it is folks.....

J.Rowland‏@RowlandRIVALS31m
BOOM! Stanley Williams, the nation's No. 1 all-purpose back, has committed to Kentucky.

and

Four-star all-purpose back Stanley “Boom” Williams committed to Kentucky during his visit today. He’s the NUMBER ONE all-purpose running back in the nation. Here’s what you know about Boom:

All-Purpose Back

5’8”, 186 lbs.
Bethlehem, GA (George Walton)
40 speed: 4.39 secs

Rivals: #96 overall, #1 All-Purpose Back, #9 in GA
Scout: #64 RB
24/7: #7 APB, #37 in GA
ESPN: 4-star, #16 RB, #18 in GA

Chose UK over: West Virginia and Clemson
Full offer list: Kentucky, West Virginia, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington State, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Wisconsin

Twitter: @boom_that_guy

Boom Williams (who might have the best nickname ever) decommitted from Georgia back in April, and started entertaining other offers, including one from the Cats. In his junior season, he had 207 carries for 1,948 yards and 24 touchdowns. He’s not only fast (4.39 40), but he can accelerate in the open field, is fearless, and patient enough to wait for opportunities.

and an updated list :

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w669/josephmac13/Screen-shot-2013-06-13-at-4_31_17-PM_zps8987d0d0.png (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/josephmac13/media/Screen-shot-2013-06-13-at-4_31_17-PM_zps8987d0d0.png.html)

jmac
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
One more tweet on Williams :

J.Rowland‏@RowlandRIVALS42m
Stanley Williams is the first #Rivals100 commitment for Mark Stoops since taking over in Lexington.

:beerme::beerme:

WMR
06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Only the #1 overall all purpose back? When is Stoops gonna get busy? :D

His offer list is incredible, obviously.

WVRed
06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
I love that we beat out WVU for this guy. Dana Holgorsen turned Tavon Austin into a star and I am hoping Neal Brown does the same with Boom.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

wolfboy
06-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Great pickup for Stoops & Co.

jmac
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Off twitter today:

Matt Jones‏@KySportsRadio4h
3 star Fla WR Tyre Brady has committed to Kentucky according to 24/7. He picked UK over Florida, Florida St and Mississippi State.

jmac
06-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Saturday's news off twitter:

Matt Jones‏@KySportsRadio1h
3 star DT Adrian Middleton is from Bowling Green and picked UK over Missouri and Louisville (who most presumed to be the favorite)

and

South Warren DT Adrian Middleton has committed to Kentucky today. He is 6’4″, 275 pounds and what we might call a “hoss.” The stud DT has long been presumed to be a Louisville lean, but the UK momentum must have swung him the other way, as he chose the Wildcats today in a bit of a surprise. He marks the 18th UK commitment and a big in-state win for the staff

and

After Adrian Middleton (a South Warren DT) committed to Kentucky this afternoon, the team moved up another spot to #2 in Rivals’ 2014 team recruiting rankings.

Yes I realize as the Bama's and ND's etc of the college football world finish out their recruiting, UK will not finish this high but I do think they can still finish in Top 10 which would be remarkable. BTW...UK's past highest rank recruiting as of right now...is 29th.

jmac
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
This afternoon : Cant win'em all ;)

Derek Kief, 6’4″ wide receiver out of Ohio, has committed to Alabama, choosing the Tide over OSU and UK.

jmac
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Football version of the Twins : :D

Two twins from Pittsburgh, Demitrious and Chris Davis will transfer to Kentucky. They both confirmed the information via Twitter. Both are wide receivers and both will come to Kentucky as walk-ons. As we learned earlier today, the wide receiver corps heading into this season is very thin right now. Neal Brown even mentioned that Kentucky might have tryouts (h/t John Clay). The Davis twins will likely help fill that void. The two were also considering Louisville and Indiana when they decided to make the move from Pitt.

Demitrious and Chris are originally from Austintown, Ohio. Demitrious was the nation’s #32 athlete and Chris was #33 in the class of 2012.

WMR
06-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Stoops Troops! :D

jmac
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Stoops taking on the big boys :

Matt Elam, the No. 1 high school football player in the bluegrass, and recently moved to 5 star, will visit Ohio State University tomorrow. OSU tight end coach Tim Hinton extended a scholarship offer to Elam over the phone earlier this month, and the offer automatically moved the Buckeyes into Elam’s top five, along with Kentucky, Alabama, Louisville and Florida. Elam will visit Notre Dame on Monday.

PepperJack
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Stoops taking on the big boys :

Matt Elam, the No. 1 high school football player in the bluegrass, and recently moved to 5 star, will visit Ohio State University tomorrow. OSU tight end coach Tim Hinton extended a scholarship offer to Elam over the phone earlier this month, and the offer automatically moved the Buckeyes into Elam’s top five, along with Kentucky, Alabama, Louisville and Florida. Elam will visit Notre Dame on Monday.

Would love to see him at UK. But I think if I was him I would join that TE machine they have going at ND.

jmac
06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Would love to see him at UK. But I think if I was him I would join that TE machine they have going at ND.

Most have thought he was a UK lock but he sure seemed excited on twitter the other day about ND offering him a scholarship so they might be the biggest competition.
He is actually rated one of the best DT's in the country. It was just the TE coach from OSU that called. Here is a snippet on him :

Matt Elam is head of the class at the defensive tackle position in Kentucky, so it's only right to mention him first. 247sports.com has Elam as the #10 overall prospect. The now 370 pounder has a list of five schools still in consideration - Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.

Notre Dame is the most recent program to offer John Hardin's anchor on the d-line. They also run the 3-4, which seems to be very important to the young man. With all the tradition and allure of Notre Dame Football it would be hard for anyone to pass up an opportunity of donning a golden helmet on Saturdays and being on national TV every time you step foot on the field.Kentucky is the hottest college football team in the nation on the recruiting trail right now, nabbing talented players one after another.
The 2014 recruiting class will surely be one of, if not, the best ever for the Wildcats and Elam could really put a stamp on it.

PepperJack
06-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the correction. And 370 is a big kid at DT. Sounds alot like former Bama DT Tay Cody.

jmac
06-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Some football tidbits :

Michigan State is talking trash about Kentucky football

According to Larry Vaught’s Views, Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio is a noticing Kentucky’s new recruiting presence in the state of Ohio:

“I go back to where I say ‘what is the truth?’ ” Dantonio said. “It’s about the people. Most people in the midwest want to play where their family can come see them play. The second thing is, what you’re looking for where you go to school is continuity. I don’t know how much continuity they have at Kentucky.”

;)

WMR
07-10-2013, 02:28 AM
http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64153-wr-tv-williams/page__st__50

:roll:

:laugh:

:lol:

lol

YAHTZEE

5TimeWSChamps
07-10-2013, 02:34 AM
LOL. I enjoyed that