PDA

View Full Version : UK Football 2013

Pages : [1] 2

jmac
07-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I noticed some local radio are already playing alot of UK-UofL chatter with the football season going to kick off in a little over a month.
Just curious what the UK Redszone fans are forecasting for the upcoming season.
Joker is using the 2-2 record in their last 4 games as a building block and thats fine. Glad they beat UT but that was a very out of the ordinary type game.
I think Max Smith shows some promise and Towles is waiting in wings if Smith falters but that probably wont make much difference this season.
Looking at their schedule I see no way this team will win more than 3 games so while I will go with 3-9 , it wouldnt surprise me to see them stumble in one of those 3 "winnable games".
I hope I am wrong but I figure 3-9 with 2-10 as a stong possibilty and this will be Joker's final season as head coach.
Regardless I will root each week for the Big Blue ! :)

Just want to add, I am sorry to start this thread with such a downer prediction but not very optimistic about this season.

Scrap Irony
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
27% of the season ticket holders share your discouraging viewpoint.

Fwiw, I think this could be the year the Toppers beat Kentucky in football.

Joker's gone at the end of the season, IMO. I like Smith. I like the running backs. La'Rod King is a decent little player. Beyond that? The linebackers are inexperienced, small, and learning a broken system. The offensive line, beyond two decent starters (Warford and Smith) is untested. Two defensive tackles are decent, but role players. The defensive backs are weak, a step slow, and can't tackle all that well.

Worse of all, however, is that offensive system/ play calling. It's beyond horrid. One yard and a cloud of dust doesn't get you much of anywhere and play action on third and long is pretty much asking for a defensive end to kill the QB. Joker has shown no affinity for innovation and less for recruiting.

They'll be lucky to win three games.

cumberlandreds
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
I am afraid 3 or 4 wins at the most. UK lost a lot on defense and don't have much playmaking ability on offense. That's a recipe for disaster. I really don't see much hope in beating UL and WKU could certainly beat them. If that happens Joker is gone for sure. About the best scenario is to win the 4 non conference games and hope to steal a couple of conference games to win six. That would get them the Weedeater Bowl or something like that. But I would be shocked if they had six wins at the end of the season.

WMR
07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
It's gonna be brutal. What I have heard... and this could end up being complete bull (bill parcells???)

Anywa, what I HAVE heard, is that if the decision can be wrested from Meeetchy , similarly to how it was done with Cal, there would be between 4-6 million for a head coach. Meetch and Lee Todd are the major road blocks, unfortunately.

New York Red
07-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Season ticket sales are way, way down and I don't see them picking up. I think it's due more to the overall mood about Joker than the assumed losing year it's likely to be on the field. I'll be surprised if they win more than four games. If they don't, I'd guess Mitch will get rid of Joker.

jmac
08-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I read an article where Joker says QB battle is still wide open. Also mentions possibility of red-shirting Towles.
So not sure if Towles included in the "wide open" or just mainly between Smith and Newton.

cumberlandreds
08-07-2012, 08:11 AM
I read an article where Joker says QB battle is still wide open. Also mentions possibility of red-shirting Towles.
So not sure if Towles included in the "wide open" or just mainly between Smith and Newton.

I would hope Newton is out of the equation. If not and he starts the majority of games, this season could be more brutal than anticipated.

19braves77
08-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Kentucky (4-8, 0-8 SEC): I like Joker Phillips, but it’s not looking good.

Roll Tide Roll

WVRed
08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
It's gonna be brutal. What I have heard... and this could end up being complete bull (bill parcells???)

Anywa, what I HAVE heard, is that if the decision can be wrested from Meeetchy , similarly to how it was done with Cal, there would be between 4-6 million for a head coach. Meetch and Lee Todd are the major road blocks, unfortunately.

Lee Todd is gone, so I would imagine it would be Eli Capiluto.

The fans have no faith in the product on the field right now, evidenced by the return of almost half the tickets for the Kentucky-Louisville game at Louisville.

There are some pieces in place, but I don't see Joker being the coach who capitalizes on it. I said it last year that Kentucky needs an innovative coach who has a gimmick that they can try in the SEC. UK needed to get rid of Joker but I am afraid they did it a year too late.

I tend to agree with Scrap. I think Western Kentucky will beat UK this year, and Joker will be walking around with a tiki torch under his seat. I'm predicting three wins and Joker fired/resigns midseason with Rick Minter taking over for the rest of the season.

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
2-10. We will lose to Western and Louisville. Only wins over Kent State and Samford.

Sucks seeing Tee Martin leave, but I don't blame the guy, he'd be on the unemployment line in 6 months as it is.

Mitch is awful, just awful

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Double Post. But I feel bad for Dupree, he's this years' Trevathan

WMR
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Lee Todd is gone, so I would imagine it would be Eli Capiluto.

The fans have no faith in the product on the field right now, evidenced by the return of almost half the tickets for the Kentucky-Louisville game at Louisville.

There are some pieces in place, but I don't see Joker being the coach who capitalizes on it. I said it last year that Kentucky needs an innovative coach who has a gimmick that they can try in the SEC. UK needed to get rid of Joker but I am afraid they did it a year too late.

I tend to agree with Scrap. I think Western Kentucky will beat UK this year, and Joker will be walking around with a tiki torch under his seat. I'm predicting three wins and Joker fired/resigns midseason with Rick Minter taking over for the rest of the season.

No, Lee Todd is the one who gave Mitch his ridiculous contract and accompanying buyout, right before he retired.

jmac
08-08-2012, 12:00 AM
They say Joker has more of an edge about him this year in his interviews. I mean edge as far as "tightness" and not the easy going type he has portrayed so far in his current position. In other words, he already feels the pressure mounting.
I fully expect UK to lose to U of L and it probably wont even be close. If they lose 42-10 or somewhere around there, the talk shows will really rev up the "Is Joker the wrong guy talk ?"
If they lose to WKU and are 1-2 going into SEC play...:runawaycry::runawaycry::runawaycry:

Boston Red
08-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Kentucky (4-8, 0-8 SEC)

Kentucky is a 14.5 point underdog at Louisville in the opener, so this seems unlikely.

KronoRed
08-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Come on guys, gotta think positive, like this guy.

Kentucky Wildcats Football 2012 Prediction - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j9pCGNcabk)

5TimeWSChamps
08-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Youtube blocked at work, but is that Kige Ramsey? That's my guess

5TimeWSChamps
08-08-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm holding out cautious hope that we can surprise Louisville Week 1.

My hope vanishes when Morgan Newton takes the field at QB

jmac
08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Reports from todays scrimmage were basically titled with things like "offense sputters "...etc.
Also said defense well ahead of offense. With the loss of Trevathan/Guy, not sure that's a very good thing right now. Defense got a pick 6 and a "near" pick 6 as well.
Reports also indicated it will be between Smith/Newton at QB with Smith in the slight lead at this point.

WMR
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Reminds me of a quote from Groundhog Day...

"It's gonna be long, it's gonna be cold, and it's gonna last for the rest of your life."

Or something thereabouts. :lol:

5TimeWSChamps
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Alright, I've got my Joker Phillips trollface ready for football season

<---

WMR
08-15-2012, 01:19 AM
A Meetchy troll face would be more apropo. Too bad he couldn't stay on that mountain.

5TimeWSChamps
08-15-2012, 01:58 AM
This quote is the one that ended Mitch's goodwill with me.

“I’m going to fight through stuff. My great frustration in the world we live in today is it’s a microwave society. We have determined that everything must happen instantly. And if it doesn’t, we’re on to the next thing.”

IT'S A MICROWAVE SOCIETY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE PAYING MORE MONEY THAN EVER FOR TICKETS, K-FUND, PARKING PASSES, ETC AND NOT GETTING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT THAN WHAT THEY WERE PAYING FOR BEFORE! NO WONDER EVERYONE'S A LITTLE PISSED OFF.

Sorry, I'm done, but eff Mitch

WVRed
08-18-2012, 09:58 AM

“I’m going to fight through stuff. My great frustration in the world we live in today is it’s a microwave society. We have determined that everything must happen instantly. And if it doesn’t, we’re on to the next thing.”

IT'S A MICROWAVE SOCIETY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE PAYING MORE MONEY THAN EVER FOR TICKETS, K-FUND, PARKING PASSES, ETC AND NOT GETTING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT THAN WHAT THEY WERE PAYING FOR BEFORE! NO WONDER EVERYONE'S A LITTLE PISSED OFF.

Couldn't have put it any better.

Kentucky's fans expectations aren't unreasonable in football. There aren't many schools that fans are happy with just making it to a bowl game. A New Years bowl game will provide added job security.

It would take a home run hire to get fans in the seats, and no coach is going to want to come to Lexington to play second fiddle to John Calipari.

fielder's choice
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
That quote is also terrible because it's not like Joker came into a rebuilding situation. The program was left in the best shape it's ever been and after two years it's back as bad as the probation years.

Boston Red
08-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Bobby Petrino is available and can't be picky. And you know he'd win. A LOT.

Scrap Irony
08-18-2012, 08:34 PM

I see nothing wrong with his quote. He's absolutely right. Fans wanted Brooks gone-- he proved them wrong. Patience is sometimes rewarded. And today's society is absolutely far too impatient for its own good.

Barnhart's made the right hire in men's basketball, women's basketball (twice), baseball (twice), women's soccer, golf, volleyball, and tennis. He also hired Rich Brooks, IIRC. He's created a sports' program that's well-rounded with top 25 teams in many different sports and one that's just begun to compete nationally in at least five of those. He's done it all without a hint of scandal or subterfuge. His teams graduate players (overall student-athlete gpa just over 3.0, IIRC) at an elite level as well.

If you're going to "eff Mitch", I'm sure Western Kentucky would gladly take his results any time. So would just about any collegiate program in the country.

That said, I don't know if Joker is the best choice for Kentucky football. IMO, he'd have been much better off to either go young, envelope-pushing, new idea guy (Hal Mumme, without the Claude Bassett shenanigans). He thought he'd found a guy like that in Phillips. But the style of play-- especially offensively-- was really conservative. Far too conservative for a team like Kentucky. Maybe the guy's learned-- he certainly talks like he's going to air it out a bit. Just three years ago, his offense was among the best in the nation, with impact performers at every skill position (Woodson, Burton, et al.).

5TimeWSChamps
08-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Jury is out on Henderson still
Barnhart hired Gillispie, it was public knowledge the boosters told him to stay away when they hired Calipari.

The other Olympics Sports don't matter in the grand scheme of things...It's Football and Basketball, and Mitch has failed in both instances

dabvu2498
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Tough jury.

Scrap Irony
08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Barnhart hired Gillispie, it was public knowledge the boosters told him to stay away when they hired Calipari.

The other Olympics Sports don't matter in the grand scheme of things...It's Football and Basketball, and Mitch has failed in both instances

Boosters don't hire anyone.

ADs and school presidents do.

Barnhart, for the most part, has been a dream hire. He's kept his athletes out of trouble with the NCAA and graduated a great many of them. He's made once irrelevant programs relevant. As he should-- it's an AD's job to do that, despite your opinion on what matters and what doesn't.

Dude deserves respect, not an "eff".

5TimeWSChamps
08-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Tough jury.

1 season out of how many? Lets see him do it more than one year.

Its not that hard to have successful olympic sports if you put ANY sort of funding into it, you will be top 20

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WMR
08-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Boosters don't hire anyone.

ADs and school presidents do.

Barnhart, for the most part, has been a dream hire. He's kept his athletes out of trouble with the NCAA and graduated a great many of them. He's made once irrelevant programs relevant. As he should-- it's an AD's job to do that, despite your opinion on what matters and what doesn't.

Dude deserves respect, not an "eff".

Mike Pratt, backed up by a a team of the big money donors, are what brought Cal to Lexington.

Mitch has been neutered when it comes to the basketball program. Cal won't have him anywhere near it.

Why do you think they created a "basketball AD" once Cal arrived? It ain't rocket surgery.

I wish we COULD send Meetchy to WKU, that would be about his speed.

Scrap Irony
08-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Mike Pratt, backed up by a a team of the big money donors, are what brought Cal to Lexington.

Mitch has been neutered when it comes to the basketball program. Cal won't have him anywhere near it.

Why do you think they created a "basketball AD" once Cal arrived? It ain't rocket surgery.

I wish we COULD send Meetchy to WKU, that would be about his speed.

Not to doubt you, but this is what Calipari said during his initial interview after being hired at Kentucky:

"I told Dr. (Lee) Todd, and Mitch (Barnhart), 'If you want something to happen in a year, do not hire me," Calipari said, tempering 'Cat fan expectations. "'But when we get it right, you notice we're No. 1 in the country, we're No. 1 seeds (in the NCAA tournament), we're playing in Final Fours, when we get it right.'"

Those are the guys that hired him. Those are the guys that interviewed him for the position. He was one of three public members of the search committee that went looking for a coach (with Pratt and Lee Todd). I realize that not all laundry gets aired in public, but, were Barnhart and Calipari truly at odds, Barnhart wouldn't be there now. No chance. He's got too much juice to be a lame duck at a place like Kentucky. Too, Cal's got too much power and is enough of a control freak to take down anyone who would get in his way.

Kentucky fans often seem to read tea leaves and get an entirely different read than anyone else. IMO, this is one of those times.

(This is not to say that they're thick as thieves. Cal has his own group, I'm sure. As does Barnhart. But they absolutely respect each other-- frankly, I'm shocked that anyone wouldn't respect Barnhart.)

An ADs two most important jobs are to improve all sports under his watch and to make the university as much money as possible. While graduating players and making sure their noses are clean. He's done all of that pretty much flawlessly.

Gillespie was a reach after Donavan turned them down at the last minute. But it was rectified very quickly. (Two years? No one is that quick on the trigger unless he's willing to own up to the mistake. Barnhart was.) With Cal, Barnhart was worried about the rumblings and grumblings of cheating. With good reason. There's a lot of smoke there. (Most of it from the ignorant, biased, or mean-spirited.)

But, make no mistake, it was his hire.

If he didn't want Calipari, he'd have quit first. His reputation was already fairly secure, especially on the Pacific Coast.

WMR
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Cal knows how to play the game and what to say in public situations to create minimal uproar if that is what he so desires. He was just hired as head coach, of course he's not going to step on any toes.

Mitch Barnhardt? Juice? :lol:

He's not walking away from the absurd extension given to him by Lee Todd on his way out.

You're not going to change my thinking on how the Cal hire went down, because I've heard how it happened straight from the mouths of people who have given me great info before and have never been wrong when it comes to UK info.

Honestly, scrap, your attempted defenses of Mitch here are triggering my gag reflex, so let's just agree to disagree.

Scrap Irony
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
You're not going to change my thinking on how the Cal hire went down, because I've heard how it happened straight from the mouths of people who have given me great info before and have never been wrong when it comes to UK info.

So have I.

And we're hearing two different things here.

My sources say Barnhart wasn't in favor of the hire until meeting with Calipari face-to-face. (Same with the UK President, fwiw.) Too much baggage. Too much smoke.

Barnhart questioned him. A lot. Grilled him, in fact. Got all the right answers. Still wanted another coach, but acquiesced to the majority. He didn't scream or pout or cry. He pulled no strings, but was honest. As Calipari came into Kentucky, Barnhart, according to my sources, became a fan. He recognized the advantages of having a Kentucky coach who knew the Kentucky Way.

Calipari has no problem with Barnhart, other than the fact that he's an AD and forced to do things many might not like. He's a fact-checker and an alliance guy. He asks questions, sometimes hard ones. Of Calipari and everyone else connected with the program.

Has there been friction? Sure. There always is in relationships where two people are in charge. Calipari wants to be the biggest, best, and most creative coach in America. (I'd argue he's been revolutinary as a college coach in the way he interacts with recruits, parents, AAU coaches, handlers, and fans. He would have made billions in advertising.) But no more than the friction between Pitino and his ADs (less, if there's truth to the rumor between Rick and former UK AD CM Newton) and much, much less than that between Barnhart and Gillespie (which, again, according to one guy, was legendarily rancorous).

Barnhart's improved all sports at Kentucky aside from football. They're now a respectable SEC member almost across the board. He's added to the Kentucky coffers. Which is his job. He's kept all UK sports pretty much crystal clean. (Or as much as big-time sports can be at the Division I level.)

I don't get the hate, honestly.

WMR
08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
He did a great job checking those facts with BCG.

That decision alone should have gotten him s-canned.

There's no rancor between Mitch and Cal because Mitch has been instructed to keep his nose out of men's bb and focus on his welfare sport pet projects.

I only hope when Joker crashes and burns this year he gets the same edict for men's football.

You're not a UK fan. Large percentage of UK fans I know are absolutely sick of him.

Scrap Irony
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM
You're not a UK fan. Large percentage of UK fans I know are absolutely sick of him.

That doesn't make them right.

5TimeWSChamps
09-04-2012, 10:56 PM
This isn't football related, but Scrap, here's Mitch's crown jewel of a basketball hire...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface

5TimeWSChamps
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Also Scrap, what about Barnhart publicly going after the KU AD job, then Lee Todd giving him an Under the table raise/extension without consulting anyone?

I hate Mitch so much

WMR
09-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Sort of unbelievable really that that scrub Barnhardt kept his job after screwing the pooch so badly with the BCG hire.

It will be a joyous day when he leaves UK.

5TimeWSChamps
09-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Sort of unbelievable really that that scrub Barnhardt kept his job after screwing the pooch so badly with the BCG hire.

It will be a joyous day when he leaves UK.

BUT, BUT, WE ARE A MICROWAVE SOCIETY!

Heaven forbid I expect more than whatever it was I watched on Sunday.

George Foster
09-05-2012, 09:41 PM
This Kent St. game is a big game. Kent St. has almost everyone back from last year. They can win this game. If they do, Joker will need security...seriously.

On a positive note. The offense moved the ball against Louisville. They were not on the field enough. The 2 fumbles inside the 20 killed us. The Offensive line was much better than last year.

Defense can improve a lot quicker than offensive troubles. It won't be enough to save Jokers job, but I look for a much better defense against Kent St.

Maker_84
09-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Kent State game is a must win, and i think they will win by 2-3 tds

Scrap Irony
09-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Also Scrap, what about Barnhart publicly going after the KU AD job, then Lee Todd giving him an Under the table raise/extension without consulting anyone?

I hate Mitch so much

Got a link?

Tuff Nut
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
UK plays football?.............sorry but more of just a SEC football fan, only bleed blue, during the B-ball season + I did attend WKU(early'80s).Go Topps.............Anywhos, I did think Joker was decent as an OC, but right now, as a HC, not so much. I'm with the poster that said something about Petrino. He's a winner, and would make UK atleast relevant in the SEC....I just would like to see them competitive.

WVRed
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm carrying this over from the Gillispie thread. Don't need two places to discuss the same topic.

That AD has made Kentucky into a fairly respectable national power across the sports' continuum. He's hit home runs hiring (and/or keeping/ re-signing) coaches in CBB (Calipari), CFB (Brooks), WBB (Mitchell), baseball (twice), tennis, gymnastics, track, and women's softball.

The UK sports' program is stronger than it's ever been in its history. It's also making more money than it's ever had. (Though this year may be a different story, as football fans may stay far, far away and men's and women's basketball may not be able to pick up the slack as much, similar to last season.)

So the two things he's responsible for-- money and the overall sports program-- are as good as they've ever been under his care. And you want to fire him?!!

I think Calipari has been covered by everybody else. That decision was taken away from Mitch and he blew it BIG time with Billy Gillispie. A lot of the stories around Lexington were practically hush hush but now that its coming out in Lubbock, more stories are coming out.

The only two sports that matter are college football and men's basketball, with the latter being priority number one in Lexington. Barnhardt has failed with the basketball program to the point that the decision was taken away from him, and there is now a director of basketball operations position within the program for that reason.

Now with football, the fan support is eroding greatly, and Saturday's attendance at the Kent State game will verify that. You mentioned Rich Brooks and he was on the verge of being fired before the team turned it around. I knew last season was lost when I watched the Western Kentucky game and how the offense looked against a team from the Sun Belt Conference.

Kentucky fans expectations for football aren't much. Going 6-6 with an occasional bowl win here and there or an occasional upset will get any coach job security. I live in West Virginia and that can't be said about WVU or a lot of other programs. We're used to being the underdog in college football, but we don't want an embarrassment like last year or what this years team is starting to look like.

5TimeWSChamps
09-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Got a link?

http://sportsbybrooks.com/kentuckys-barnhart-finalist-for-kansas-ad-job-29240

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
The only two sports that matter are college football and men's basketball, with the latter being priority number one in Lexington.

Barnhart was hired in large part because the university wanted to change that parochial mindset. Other sports matter. Women's basketball went from cash drain to cash cow (relatively speaking). Baseball is almost cash nuetral at this point. Volleyball attendance went up more than 300%.

Does he need a new football coach?

Maybe. Brooks did well. Does he not get credit for being patient with him?

If you're tearing him apart becayse of Gillespie, does he not also get credit for jettisoning the coach quickly enough for it to effect their place very little in the overall scheme of things? I mean, IU held onto three coaches (it can be argued) too long. North Carolina, two. UCLA, too many to count. A two-year hiccup isn't all that bothersome to me, when compared to the monster returns he's gotten from other sports. Which, again, are part and parcel of his job.

(FTR, I disagree about Barnhart having basketball taken away from him, having a tiff with Calipari, or being somehow demoted. That's never been reported, nor has it been verified by anyone anywhere close to the university. It's a rumor only-- and most of those, I hope I don't have to tell anyone-- are patently false. If you have a link to someone reporting the story as fact, I'm all ears. I will absolutely be willing to change my opinion. But I'll need to see the report first. If there's no report, I don't understand how anyone can say they know how it's happened. Unless, of course, they have insider info. Which they may have. But which is also dubious, especially on a message board.)

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 02:41 PM
http://sportsbybrooks.com/kentuckys-barnhart-finalist-for-kansas-ad-job-29240

Wow. From your article, the main points:

I’ve been told Barnhart and Cunningham are two of three finalists targeted by the six-member Kansas AD search panel, which is chaired by the managing partner of Pegasus Capital Management, Ray Evans.

As it pertains to Barnhart, I’ve been told there are three main factors fueling the interest of Kansas officials in the current UK AD.

1) Barnhart’s experience presiding over a traditional, powerhouse basketball program.

2) Barnhart’s reputation for integrity - in the wake of the Kansas ticket scandal and other impropriety that plagued the late stages of the Perkins’ regime.

3) Barnhart’s stellar reputation as one of the top fundraisers in the college athletics.

So Kansas liked him because he was good at presiding over basketball, having integrity, and he made money. FIRE HIM NOW, DAGNABBIT!!!

Some other interesting observations, re: why Barnhart would have wanted to leave Kentucky for Kansas, again, from the article:

1) The Kansas AD gig is a great job and he’s originally from the state. He was born in Kansas City and graduated from Ottawa (KS) University.

2) Landing the Kansas job would almost certainly involve a raise from Barnhart’s current base salary, which was $475,000 according to the Kentucky state employee database for 2010. Barnhart has earned considerable money in bonuses over the years, including $30,000 if the Wildcats made a bowl game.

Lew Perkins reportedly made an astounding $4.4 million his final full year on the job as KU AD - but much of that money was via bonuses derived from private funds. Perkins base salary was reportedly $800,000 at the time of his ouster.

3) Barnhart’s concerned, for obvious reasons, that the recruiting methods of John Calipari may soon begin to reflect poorly on the school and his own reputation.

On the latter point, by no means am I implying that Barnhart is attempting to escape UK before the school’s basketball program encounters NCAA sanctions. That’s not the case.

This is more a function of Barnhart tiring of the constant sparring with the NCAA and negative media coverage that inevitably follows John Calipari wherever he goes. (Ironic though as it was Barnhart who hired Calipari.)

So he'd leave because he might want to go home, he might get a substantial raise (more than four million per year, if I read that right), and he's worried about the NCAA snooping around Calipari.

So, just for the record, the reasons why this is some sort of smoking gun are:

1) Barnhart is really good at his job, both as a fundraiser and a basketball-first AD (something that others on this board have denied).
2) Barnhart is recognized as a person who won't cheat or cut corners.
3) Barnhart has the temerity to (maybe) want to go home and make a few million dollars more than he's making now.

Yeah.

How... dare... he?

Boston Red
09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
North Carolina, two.

Off-topic, but who was the other coach UNC held onto too long? UNC went to the Final Four in Gut's last year.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Whoops. I meant "too".

I never make that mistake.

Yet, here it is.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Barnhardt SUCKS as a fundraiser.

Keep beating your drum Scrap. Just about every UK fan disagrees with you.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
He's been here 10 years and we still can't get a damn recruiting room. Pathetic. Build another softball field, Mitch.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Keep beating your drum Scrap. Just about every UK fan disagrees with you.

That certainly doesn't make them right.

If history is any indication, taking the opposite side of just about any issue Kentucky fans have is a good idea.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:43 PM
That certainly doesn't make them right.

If history is any indication, taking the opposite side of just about any issue Kentucky fans have is a good idea.

Again, you demonstrate your bias.

It's hard to take a WKU fan serious on this subject. I'm sure you'd love for Joker to hang around a few more seasons, maybe ole Willie can get a few Ws before he moves on to a bigger job.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
He's been here 10 years and we still can't get a damn recruiting room. Pathetic. Build another softball field, Mitch.

A recruiting room?

Really?

Kentucky has had the number one basketball class for four years in a row. What that university has right now is pretty much what I'd want, were I other teams.

There are other sports just as important as basketball, WMR.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Again, you demonstrate your bias.

Shall I enumerate?

Because there's a bunch there.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:45 PM
A recruiting room?

Really?

Kentucky has had the number one basketball class for four years in a row. What that university has right now is pretty much what I'd want, were I other teams.

There are other sports just as important as basketball, WMR.

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ROOM.

Jeez.

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Shall I enumerate?

Because there's a bunch there.

LOL, you can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you that UK fans, the ones who live and die with the program, are sick of MB.

Obviously, you're not going to change your stance one iota, and I don't really care.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
FOOTBALL RECRUITING ROOM.

Jeez.

That's going to make the difference?

Football has been relevant for about six years since Bear Bryant left.

Barnhart's responsible (at least in part) for two of those. The success enjoyed by Kentucky under Barnhart has been the best of times under a UK AD since, again, Bear Bryant.

He's clean.

He makes the university money.

His teams win.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
LOL, you can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you that UK fans, the ones who live and die with the program, are sick of MB.

Obviously, you're not going to change your stance one iota, and I don't really care.

I'm going to think it because it's right. :D

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm going to think it because it's right. :D

That's why I love you. ;)

WMR
09-07-2012, 03:55 PM
The only thing that might save UK versus the Hilltoppers is the beating that they're going to take versus Bama this weekend.

Kent State has the advantage this weekend of facing UK with UK on short rest. UK is currently 7 (SEVEN!!) point favorites over the Golden Flashes. A loss to either squad would not surprise me at all, although they should be able to eke out wins. Hopefully the D will play better, they surely couldn't play much worse.

I'll still be amazed if UK wins more than one game in the SEC.

5TimeWSChamps
09-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I tell you what, I'd take Butch Jones in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice about it

5TimeWSChamps
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
And Mitch is an awful fund-raiser, because he's burned all the bridges by taking money that was donated for football, and he invested it into all the olympic sports, and thus people aren't giving anymore.

WMR
09-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm gonna bring this over here b/c that BCG thread will die soon (like BCG himself, it appears):

Where is that article that you're quoting from, WMR?

It was a report in a thread from a different board from the UK QB Club in Lexington.

Here's the Rivals thread: http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1430&tid=177712145&mid=177712145&sid=888&style=2

That AD has made Kentucky into a fairly respectable national power across the sports' continuum. He's hit home runs hiring (and/or keeping/ re-signing) coaches in CBB (Calipari), CFB (Brooks), WBB (Mitchell), baseball (twice), tennis, gymnastics, track, and women's softball.

The UK sports' program is stronger than it's ever been in its history. It's also making more money than it's ever had. (Though this year may be a different story, as football fans may stay far, far away and men's and women's basketball may not be able to pick up the slack as much, similar to last season.)

So the two things he's responsible for-- money and the overall sports program-- are as good as they've ever been under his care. And you want to fire him?!!

The only reason UK is making more than ever is due to ONE thing: the size of the SEC football welfare check UK receives each year is getting bigger and bigger.

The only sports Mitch has improved are welfare sports that do nothing but drain money.

Women's basketball making money? :lol: First of all, it's going to be a pittance compared to getting football straightened out; secondly, aren't there only like a handful of programs that even turn a profit? Look at how much we're paying Mitchell. The chances of women's hoops ever being actually self-sustaining are very, very low, and, again, the effort would benefit the University as a whole so much more if that focus was instead on FOOTBALL.

That's Mitch's problem in a nutshell: The return on investment where he is spending the majority of the capital available to him is incredibly, unbelievably low.

Apparently fundraising is a completely foreign concept to Mitch. He has spent the UK football welfare check on sports that no one besides the athletes and the athletes families give a damn about.

If it wasn't for Cal, basketball would be in trouble as well. Mitch has alienated most of the big money boosters and they don't want to give him a dime. Mitch is very abrasive and about the furthest thing from a "people person/schmoozer" one could imagine. His holier-than-thou/smarmy approach completely turns people off.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2012, 08:46 PM
UK has never had more funds given to it by boosters than under Barnhart's tenure.

jmac
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Guess Joker decided to try and give it a little more offense this season.
Showing some glimmers of hope on the one side but still the defense is going to have trouble. (may have trouble stopping the WKU running game this week)

WMR
09-15-2012, 10:33 PM
:lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

Move UK to 1-AA.

KronoRed
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Petrino is available, make a move before Tennessee does.

cumberlandreds
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
That should just about do it for Joker. Worst team in the state not to mention probably the SEC.

WMR
09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
EKU and Georgetown College want a piece of UK.

WVRed
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
That should just about do it for Joker. Worst team in the state not to mention probably the SEC.

I was openly pulling for Western tonight just to speed up the process. What makes it even more laughable is that even with help from SEC officials, UK still couldn't pull it out. There were some calls that definitely went Kentucky's way.

I want Petrino. Don't care about the baggage or if he hops to a better job, but UK needs somebody who can jump start a program and he's the only one. I just hope he would leave the program in better shape than Rich Brooks handed the one to Joker.

Boston Red
09-16-2012, 01:32 AM
UK not hiring Petrino (assuming he'd take the job) will follow a long line of idiocy in Lexington. They could have hired Roy Kidd, and had two shots at Howard Schnellenberger. They deserve what they've gotten for passing on those two.

5TimeWSChamps
09-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Just waiting for Scrap to defend Mitch again...

What a laughable joke, he's done for

Joseph
09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
When you lose to the fourth [at best] public college in the state you know you have serious problems.

dabvu2498
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
When you lose to the fourth [at best] public college in the state you know you have serious problems.

Fourth??? Kentucky only has 3 FBS programs.

Boston Red
09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Fourth??? Kentucky only has 3 FBS programs.

I assume he meant academically and put UK, UL and one of Eastern or Murray ahead of WKU.

Joseph
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I assume he meant academically and put UK, UL and one of Eastern or Murray ahead of WKU.

That would be correct. :)

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Seriously, how does any "real" div 1 team lose to Western Kentucky? Let's look at the caliber of athletes they have. According to Scout.com their 2012 recruiting class ranked 118 out of 124 Div 1 schools. In 2010 they ranked 119 out of 120. Right, 2nd to last. They jumped to #85 in 2011 and just to complete the 4 year picture they ranked # 78 in 2009. How can UK possibly lose to to school with that lack of talent?

Boston Red
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
It's bad, but it's not exactly the worst we've seen out of some of the major conference/state schools this year. Colorado losing to Colorado State and Cal State-Sacramento and then getting bludgeoned by a pretty average Fresno team (wasn't it 45-0 in the second quarter?!?) is much worse. Indiana losing at home to Ball State (a team WKU is favored to beat this coming weekend) is worse. Arkansas losing to UL-Monroe seemed as bad or worse, although they seem to actually have a pretty decent team.

Kentucky has no business losing to Western, but Western is a pretty solid Sun Belt squad.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Kentucky has no business losing to Western, but Western is a pretty solid Sun Belt squad.

I tip my cap to them if they can put together a winning prgram with 118 and 119 rated recruiting classes. No way an SEC team should lose to that sort of talent. A Big Ten team losing to Ball St isn't quite as much of a stretch as they are the 4th best football conference in America

Boston Red
09-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Do you think Scout really puts much effort into deciding who is ranked #118 and who is ranked #95. I can't imagine they spend much time evaluating those players.

It is kind of sad that outside of a few players, I don't think there's much of a talent difference between UK and WKU, but WKU does make up for their high school recruiting deficiencies by picking up some transfers. For example, one of the DBs who was giving UK fits all night was a Florida transfer.

BTW, Western is hosting Southern Miss this weekend. Not sure why I thought they were hosting Ball U.

Hoosier Red
09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree with Boston Red. The difference between classes #80 to #118 is likely smaller than the difference between classes #1 and #15.

Schools like UK and IU are always going to be susceptible to the smaller in-state schools unless the talent (and experience) differential is overwhelming.

The game represents a huge opportunity for the smaller school. It's probably one of the largest crowds that team will play all season and it's an opportunity to show the big school why they made a mistake in recruiting.

That said it should still be an upset when these games happen. Losing three in a row to the in state MAC school is completely embarrassing. So it could be worse UK.

bucksfan2
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't really follow recruiting outside of checking what OSU gets but how much talent is there in KY and where does that talent go? I know there are several top programs in Louisville but for the past 5 years of so neither UK or UL have been any good. I know Highlands in NKY has some top level players from time to time but occasionally you hear of them going to ND or UC but thats about it.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree with Boston Red. The difference between classes #80 to #118 is likely smaller than the difference between classes #1 and #15.

Schools like UK and IU are always going to be susceptible to the smaller in-state schools unless the talent (and experience) differential is overwhelming.

The game represents a huge opportunity for the smaller school. It's probably one of the largest crowds that team will play all season and it's an opportunity to show the big school why they made a mistake in recruiting.

That said it should still be an upset when these games happen. Losing three in a row to the in state MAC school is completely embarrassing. So it could be worse UK.

So what if their cless is 80th? They still have no business beating UK. My guess is the Hilltopper's players were not even recruited by UK and if they were offered a UK scholarship or a WKU, I'm sure the athlete would jump for Lexington

dabvu2498
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
So what if their cless is 80th? They still have no business beating UK. My guess is the Hilltopper's players were not even recruited by UK and if they were offered a UK scholarship or a WKU, I'm sure the athlete would jump for Lexington

These types of games happen (or come verrrrrrrrry close to happening) almost every year.

Here are a few that come to the top of my head:

3 from this year already (ULM-Arky and Auburn)
Utah State-Auburn last year
Jacksonville St.-Ole Miss (Loss to an FCS team)
UAB-UT a couple years ago, Wyoming-UT, Memphis-UT with P. Manning
Any number of Vanderbilt losses (Army, MTSU, Duke come to mind)

Approached as a Vandy fan, there have been a few times when Vandy has won SEC games they had no business winning: (@ UT 2005, @ UGa 2006, @ USCe 2007)

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 03:53 PM
These types of games happen (or come verrrrrrrrry close to happening) almost every year.

Here are a few that come to the top of my head:

3 from this year already (ULM-Arky and Auburn)
Utah State-Auburn last year
Jacksonville St.-Ole Miss (Loss to an FCS team)
UAB-UT a couple years ago, Wyoming-UT, Memphis-UT with P. Manning
Any number of Vanderbilt losses (Army, MTSU, Duke come to mind)

Approached as a Vandy fan, there have been a few times when Vandy has won SEC games they had no business winning: (@ UT 2005, @ UGa 2006, @ USCe 2007)

No question that it does indeed happen and that's what makes college sports so much fun

Hoosier Red
09-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Well that's the point. UK hasn't had many top 20 classes themselves. I looked at the Rivals rankings;* UK was 61st in 2011 and 59th in 2012.

I bet you're right that no players from WKU were offered scholarships to UK. I'd also be willing to wager that they were quite amped to show what a mistake UK made in not offering them scholarships :)

Were it the case where Kentucky had a huge talent differential, it wouldn't really matter. But given that UK had slightly more talent, the motivation and scheme can make up a small gap.

*I don't believe Rivals rankings are superior in any way, but rather knew where to find them and knew I wouldn't have to pay for the privilege.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Well that's the point. UK hasn't had many top 20 classes themselves. I looked at the Rivals rankings;* UK was 61st in 2011 and 59th in 2012.

I bet you're right that no players from WKU were offered scholarships to UK. I'd also be willing to wager that they were quite amped to show what a mistake UK made in not offering them scholarships :)

Were it the case where Kentucky had a huge talent differential, it wouldn't really matter. But given that UK had slightly more talent, the motivation and scheme can make up a small gap.

*I don't believe Rivals rankings are superior in any way, but rather knew where to find them and knew I wouldn't have to pay for the privilege.

Even if UK was getting middling talent at 59 or 60, it should trump bottom 5% no problem

Scrap Irony
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
IKentucky has no business losing to Western, but Western is a pretty solid Sun Belt squad.

Fwiw, WKU should have gone to a bowl last season. Bowling Green is a fairly solid football area in a state that normally doesn't produce all that much upper end talent. Due to lesser admission standards, WKU also tends to get the possible Prop 48 casualties or near-casualties from Louisville and northern Tennessee. (This is similar to the Memphis and Middle Tennessee State teams of the early 90s. Sometimes, a group of players slip through. As a result, many athletes get ignored or simply want to stay close to home rather than risk a greyshirt somewhere else. WKU is also active with high Division I transfers (in both football and basketball) and in Florida high school circles.

They're working their way to being a pretty solid Division I football team, as evidenced not only by beating Kentucky, but by playing Alabama pretty well in Tuscaloosa, 35-0. The final score doesn't show how close it really was, as Bama got a closing seconds TD. Offensively, the Tops and the Crimson Tide were within three first downs and 100 total yards of each other. They also beat Austin Peay 49-10, who also lost to VaTech by around the same score.

Sure, they're not great, but it's not like they're pushovers either.

WMR
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Question: "Why is UK so young this year?"
Answer: "I don't know. It just happened."

Guess who said this.

:lol:

5TimeWSChamps
09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Question: "Why is UK so young this year?"
Answer: "I don't know. It just happened."

Guess who said this.

:lol:

:laugh:

George Foster
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
I tip my cap to them if they can put together a winning prgram with 118 and 119 rated recruiting classes. No way an SEC team should lose to that sort of talent. A Big Ten team losing to Ball St isn't quite as much of a stretch as they are the 4th best football conference in America

In 2010 Kentucky scored 63 against Western

In 2011 Kentucky squeaked out a win against Western

In 2012 We lose to Western

That is all you need to know about the direction of this program and Joker.

WVRed
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't really follow recruiting outside of checking what OSU gets but how much talent is there in KY and where does that talent go? I know there are several top programs in Louisville but for the past 5 years of so neither UK or UL have been any good. I know Highlands in NKY has some top level players from time to time but occasionally you hear of them going to ND or UC but thats about it.

Kentucky is usually pretty bare in terms of talent. Occasionally there will be a five-star player come out, namely Tim Couch, Micah Johnson, and Brian Brohm, but for the most part, Kentucky usually has to fight off other SEC schools for that talent. The most recent top prospect to come out of the state, Lamar Dawson, went to USC to play for Lane Kiffin. Kentucky has built pipelines in surrounding states, namely Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia. It's mostly SEC schools as Kentucky is usually left settling for players who were likely spurned by their home state school and this gives them a chance to play twice a year in front of friends and family.

By contrast, look at WVU. West Virginia has the same in-state talent problem that Kentucky has. Occasional five star recruit (Josh Jenkins the most recent), but WVU has done a much better job recruiting in surrounding states (Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania) or building pipelines previously in Florida (Doc Holliday) and Texas (Dana Holgorsen).

The difference though is that WVU's primary focus is football. They are successful enough in basketball to keep the fans happy, but football is the cash cow. In Kentucky, football is secondary to basketball, but to an extent. As long as we aren't getting embarrassed on a weekly basis and make it to bowl game, fans are happy. If WVU finished 6-6 this season, fans would be calling for Holgorsen's head.

I only mention WVU because I live here and I've found myself following the Mountaineers more the past two seasons with Kentucky falling into a probation-like team. It is possible for Kentucky to win in football, but it starts with putting fans in the seats and that starts with bringing in a whole new regime. It may take five years or so, but I believe it could happen.

5TimeWSChamps
09-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Back to back 3 and outs by the defense? Uhhhh

5TimeWSChamps
09-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately Morgan Newton is starting at QB, and he still can't throw a simple screen

5TimeWSChamps
09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Embarrassing

WVRed
09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately Morgan Newton is starting at QB, and he still can't throw a simple screen

This is why I fault Joker Phillips. Newton and Mossakowski were both 4-5 star QB's, depending on which scouting service you use. Mossakowski is now gone and Newton has been benched in his senior year. He hasn't even progressed since his freshman year.

I'd like to see UK hire somebody who will implement the Air Raid offense. If anything, it would be exciting, and UK has the players to run it, especially with Max Smith and Patrick Towles. A pro-offense doesn't work when you are recruiting against the rest of the SEC in a talent-poor state and settling for everybody else's sloppy seconds.

Revering4Blue
09-23-2012, 09:47 PM
This is why I fault Joker Phillips. Newton and Mossakowski were both 4-5 star QB's, depending on which scouting service you use. Mossakowski is now gone and Newton has been benched in his senior year. He hasn't even progressed since his freshman year.

I'd like to see UK hire somebody who will implement the Air Raid offense. If anything, it would be exciting, and UK has the players to run it, especially with Max Smith and Patrick Towles. A pro-offense doesn't work when you are recruiting against the rest of the SEC in a talent-poor state and settling for everybody else's sloppy seconds.
I agree with this. How about Louisiana Tech's Sonny Dykes?

WMR
11-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Good job Vandy!!!

Too bad we can't fire that ass Barnhardt too. In his pre-game comments he thanked the "true fans" for showing up. WHAT AN ASS!! WOW!

cumberlandreds
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Good job Vandy!!!

Too bad we can't fire that ass Barnhardt too. In his pre-game comments he thanked the "true fans" for showing up. WHAT AN ASS!! WOW!

I agree. Joker and Barnhart should both be fired. Now! That's a big statement from me. I have generally supported Barnhart but his statements about the fans are just sheer stupidity. It shows that he is totally out of touch with the people out in the state and beyond.

WVRed
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree. Joker and Barnhart should both be fired. Now! That's a big statement from me. I have generally supported Barnhart but his statements about the fans are just sheer stupidity. It shows that he is totally out of touch with the people out in the state and beyond.

I'll have more in the WVU thread, but until Joker and Barnhart are fired, I am done with Kentucky in football. I still bleed blue in basketball, but I can't force myself to pull for a laughingstock anymore while nothing gets done about it. I was at the WVU game and there is such a difference in the two programs its not even funny (even with the loss today).

I don't ask for much. Six wins a year and a bowl game will keep me happy, an occasional upset as well in the SEC. The other comment from Barnhardt pissed me off even more that fans who don't like Joker have an "agenda". Closet term for "racist"?

WVRed
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I just read this post on WCN and thought I would share it. This sums up how I feel about Barnhardt:

How well has he done really?

He hired a guy from the west coast and out of retirement, and basically lucked out when he turned out to build a decent foundation.

He made the worst hire in UK history - an alcoholic sociopath - without doing any due dilligence.

I don't care what anybody tells me - he was basically forced to hire Cal. If he wanted him so badly, he would've at least considered him the first time, which he didn't. He hired him the second time to save his own skin. Then, when Cal does get here, it's obvious that the two dislike each other. Cal won't even let him have anything to do with the day-to-day operation of the basketball program. He should be thanking his lucky stars and kissing Cal's rump every day.

Then he does the idiotic "head-coach-in-waiting" thing, which turns out to be the nuclear dumpster fire that we find ourselves in now.

He sucks at raising donations and mingling with the boosters and higher-ups in social settings. Mix in the lame stalling attempts in regards to building new facilities, the almost non-stop potshots and arrogantly backhanded comments towards the boosters and fan base as a whole, and the raising of ticket prices and parking passes for all revenue-generating sports in a recession (while seeing no benefits from it), then you've got what equals to be a turd.

Let's put it this way: if the CEO of a Fortune 500 company made the "little" parts of the business succeed while completely failing and running the main revenue generator run into the ground, he'd be fired instantaneously. There's no difference here. Whatsoever. Anybody who disagrees is what's wrong with this football program. Call me nearsighted if you will, but Mitch Barnhart needs to hit the road.

Scrap Irony
11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I just read this post on WCN and thought I would share it. This sums up how I feel about Barnhardt:

Much of that post is flat-out wrong. Much more is opinion.

Barnhart has arguably hired the most successful coaches in UK history in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, tennis, baseball, and a bunch of other sports.

WVRed
11-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Much of that post is flat-out wrong. Much more is opinion.

Barnhart has arguably hired the most successful coaches in UK history in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, tennis, baseball, and a bunch of other sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

I'm not denying the rest, but it's like the analogy made. Barnhart has made the "little" parts of the business succeed while running the main revenue generator into the ground. Womens basketball and baseball are the "little parts", football is one of the main revenue generators, and the other has been taken away from him.

What sent me over the edge was the comments yesterday during the postgame show. The fans are staying home for a reason, and I really don't know if this team has hit "rock bottom" yet. I do hope Mitch clarifies his statement about "personal agendas", because reading between the lines, that's the race card.

Scrap Irony
11-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Kentucky sports have made more money under Barnhart than they have under any UK AD. Ever. ($91.9 million last year) They're also supporting the most sports of anyone in the SEC, while paying for everything they use AND giving both money and merchandise (reports set the number somewhere between $10 million and $25 million) back to the college itself.

Revering4Blue
11-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Joker Phillips will not return as coach of the Kentucky football team after this season, the school announced Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/8592978/joker-phillips-coach-kentucky-wildcats-season

WVRed
11-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Joker Phillips will not return as coach of the Kentucky football team after this season, the school announced Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/8592978/joker-phillips-coach-kentucky-wildcats-season

Absolutely had to be done. I'd argue they did it a year too late however.

I do hope they let him coach out the remaining two games. If anything, it might get fans in the gates to send Joker off for the final time during the Samford game.

19braves77
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Kentucky needs to get on the phone with Kirby Smart or Houston Nutt.

WVRed
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Kentucky needs to get on the phone with Kirby Smart or Houston Nutt.

Absolutely not on Houston Nutt, or even David Cutcliffe for that matter, and that's who my ultimate fear is it will be.

The last thing Kentucky needs is a retread SEC coach such as Houston Nutt or Tommy Tuberville. Bobby Petrino would be the only exception and he is likely headed to Auburn. Kentucky needs a head coach who has a gimmick, because the only way they will compete is to be different than the rest of the SEC.

I don't see Kirby Smart coming to Lexington either. He is the highest paid assistant in the nation and will likely leave for a better choice of jobs.

Revering4Blue
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Kentucky not considering hiring Bobby Petrino after firing Joker Phillips.

Sources tell Yahoo! Sports that the candidate list includes Louisiana Tech coach Sonny Dykes and Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, plus several college offensive coordinators. Among those believed to be interested in the job are Florida's Brent Pease and Texas Tech's Neal Brown, both of whom have ties to UK – Pease as a former assistant and Brown as a player.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--kentucky-not-considering-hiring-bobby-petrino-after-firing-joker-phillips-04081709.html;_ylt=Av_wXyaMNKLwgDlfBX0aSuoLcykA;_y lu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGh vcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

I'll be surprised if it's not Dykes. It just makes too much sense.

Scrap Irony
11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Dykes is good, but he'll be expensive. He's hot right now. Great offense, though. Breant Peace and Neal Brown would also be fun hires, IMO.

Were I Barnhart, I'd go after a young, offensive-minded coach with ties to Florida or Texas. Speed is key.

KronoRed
11-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Please take Pease.

WMR
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
1) Petrino
2) Dykes
3) Smart

DO NOT WANT:
Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Pease

Boston Red
11-08-2012, 12:14 AM
So Petrino apparently wants the job, and Barnhart is apparently stupid enough not to hire him. This is dumber than hiring Hal Mumme instead of Howard Schnellenberger.

WMR
11-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Where did you hear that Petrino wants the job?

KronoRed
11-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Where did you hear that Petrino wants the job?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8605295/bobby-petrino-former-arkansas-coach-interest-vacant-kentucky-job-according-father

At least Dad wants him there :D

WVRed
11-12-2012, 10:00 AM
According to Matt Jones, given the new allegations coming out of Washington State, UK is not going to go anywhere near Mike Leach. Probably a good thing.

Petrino will likely get hired at Auburn or Tennessee before UK, so looking at realistic candidates, I'm going with Sonny Dykes, Neal Brown (OC at Tex Tech), or Kliff Kingsbury (OC at Tex A&M).

Sea Ray
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Well, at least now we know which team is the worst in the SEC

WMR
11-24-2012, 04:56 PM
So glad the JOKEr error is over...

Unfortunately confidence in Mitch to make a good hire is zero point zero percent...

jmac
11-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, at least now we know which team is the worst in the SEC

I knew that before kickoff. :laugh:

jmac
11-24-2012, 08:25 PM
This was a quote from MB after the game today :

"The goal is to continue to build upon the foundation that Joker has put in place," Barnhart said. "The young talent we've got, the respect and accountability that he's gained in the locker room, they way we conduct our business, those are the things we want to build upon."

WMR
11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
:facepalm:

WVRed
11-25-2012, 12:53 AM
:facepalm:

Nothing wrong with the foundation. The players are there, it's just a matter of getting a coach who can put the pieces together and motivate them out of their minds.

The newest name is Mark Stoops, brother of Bob and Mike and the current defensive coordinator from Florida State. I made the comment that the Stoops family is going the route of the Bowden's. Just because one has success doesn't mean you pluck another one from the family tree.

Joseph
11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Wonder if the wait is to go after someone still a head coach elsewhere?

jmac
11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I heard some billed last night's game between LT/SJS as the future UK coach bowl.
Dykes would be okay I guess but dont know much on the other guy. Neither would be my top choice though.

jmac
11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
1) Petrino
2) Dykes

DO NOT WANT:
Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Pease

:beerme:

cumberlandreds
11-26-2012, 07:55 AM
It's looking like Mike MacIntyre may be the coach. He's currently at San Jose State and has built them into a 10-2 winner in a very short time.

WMR
11-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Is he going to make UK competitive in the SEC?

Can he recruit the south?

Not a hire that is going to get anyone excited about UK football... I'm guessing most fans, rather than running back, will take a wait and see attitude. I know I will.

Pretty sickening we could have had one of the top five minds in college football but instead are going to end up rolling the dice with someone like this.

WVRed
11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Is he going to make UK competitive in the SEC?

Can he recruit the south?

Not a hire that is going to get anyone excited about UK football... I'm guessing most fans, rather than running back, will take a wait and see attitude. I know I will.

Pretty sickening we could have had one of the top five minds in college football but instead are going to end up rolling the dice with someone like this.

If it makes you feel any better, none of the other SEC schools are looking at Petrino either.

jmac
11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
If Petrino's school commitment is one of the things questioned then here is my take.
If the Cats get Dykes or Mike Stoops for example and UK has a couple of good seasons and Georgia or Auburn came knocking.......guess what Dykes & co would be long gone. Practically any coach UK hires will use UK as a stepping stone. Mumme would have and Guy Morriss did. So to say BP wouldnt be commited isnt really fair as I dont think for a better job, the others would either.
Petrino doesnt have much of a personality (if any at all).
However, as a UK fan , I can say Cal doesnt have the best either. Dont get me wrong, if he is in front of an ESPN mic, he is fun to listen to.As far as the coaches call-in shows. I never thought Cal enjoyed them very much as taking calls from Billy Bob in Eastern KY wanting to know why Sam Malone doesnt play more just doesnt seem to be what Cal wants to answer. :lol:
Yes BP had some other outside activities but probably the only difference between him and many other coaches is, he got caught.
With the level of improvement of the SEC, I really feel UK needs a big name coach (Petrino) or a gimmick (Dykes fast paced offense) to compete quickly in the SEC.
UT will be better immediately, I have no doubt. No longer can UK count Vandy and Miss State as automatic wins and then of course we have the addition of A&M and Mizzou. Ole Miss seems to be getting back on track.
I think a lower profile coach (as I'm afraid MB will hire ) may well win at UK but it would be a much longer process than a big name or gimmick.
The bottom of the SEC has improved drastically and it is up to UK to take the step too.
To me .....Petrino( who they say is now out of the running) and Dykes would be a 2 home runs.
Some of these other coaches may be good but are only "singles" to me. (though some I dont as much about so they may be better than I think).
As far as Mark Stoops....I just hope MB knows if he hires him, he will not be bringing the FSU defense with him.

dabvu2498
11-26-2012, 09:08 PM
@KyleTucker_CJ: Per a source inside UK athletics, Butch Jones, Sonny Dykes and Mark Stoops have all said "no thanks" to Kentucky.

@KyleTucker_CJ: Source on UK football search: "All the agents are telling their coaches it's a dead-end job and if they're an up-and-comer, don't touch it."

WVRed
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
@KyleTucker_CJ: Per a source inside UK athletics, Butch Jones, Sonny Dykes and Mark Stoops have all said "no thanks" to Kentucky.

@KyleTucker_CJ: Source on UK football search: "All the agents are telling their coaches it's a dead-end job and if they're an up-and-comer, don't touch it."

Could be why Mike Macintyre is the only one left.

The coaching carousel is only getting started. Some of these coaches might be waiting to see if a Louisville, WVU (I wouldn't be shocked if Holgorsen leaves), or whoever takes the first line of jobs comes open.

Edit: Matt Jones is disputing Mark Stoops, says Stoops is very much in the running. I think it will be settled this week, but the names being thrown out are showing that IF the coach does fix it, it won't be quick.

WMR
11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
If UK's not going to invest the money it takes to field a legitimate SEC team, they're probably right.

At least we can afford to pay our women's basketball coach over a million dollars a year. For a sport that hemorrhages money...

WMR
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Sounding like the next coach will be Mark Stoops... hope he gets to hire some great coordinators.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Sounding like the next coach will be Mark Stoops... hope he gets to hire some great coordinators.

Like Randy Sanders...

cumberlandreds
11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Stoops is about as good a hire UK could ever hope for. He has the pedigree to be a great coach. Only time will tell if he can be a good head coach or not. Really this is the best way for UK to go for a quality head coach. Hire a cooridinator with a great pedigree and hope he can surround himself with good assistants. Also UK to needs to make the funds/resources available to him to succeed. If that doesn't happen then it doesn't matter who they have coaching.

19braves77
11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Also UK to needs to make the funds/resources available to him to succeed. If that doesn't happen then it doesn't matter who they have coaching.

One way to do that is to schedule three hard teams like Miami, Boise State,and Nebraska instead of a teams like UAB and Jacksonville State. Don't ask for a home and home series. If it takes flying to Boise in the middle of November for a butt whooping to get paid then so be it. The payout will be worth it.

IslandRed
11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Sorry to lose him at FSU, but I hope he does well at Kentucky.

jmac
11-27-2012, 06:52 PM
He wasnt one of my top choices but who knows, hope he works out.

jmac
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Lexington channel just reported Stoops # 1 target for OC is Neal Brown. Now that would up this hire greatly IMO.
Go get'em Mr Stoops !! :D

Update: Now reports say he has offered position to FSU OC James Coley but we shall see if he accepts or not.

KronoRed
12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Thought you guys might be amused by where Joker ended up.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=24445

jmac
12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Looks like DJ Eliot will joins Stoops from the FSU staff.

IslandRed
12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Looks like DJ Eliot will joins Stoops from the FSU staff.

A well-deserved opportunity. He was very highly thought of in Tallahassee.

jmac
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
A well-deserved opportunity. He was very highly thought of in Tallahassee.

Good to know. I was hoping Coley would come as RC but it appears he has decided to stay.

WMR
12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Brown hired as OC.

Have to admit, I'm liking this staff that Stoops is putting together.

Let's hope we've found the next big-time up and comer in CFB.

Scrap Irony
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Brown's offense is Hal Mumme's, but with a bit of common sense thrown in. The defense should be at least respectable, as the HC and DC are both stalward defensive coaches.

The key with Kentucky, as always, is how well they recruit. The QB looks solid, as do the running backs. The receivers look horrid. So does the line.

Defensively, they should be much, much better this season.

Special teams could also turn out pretty good.

Stoops, depending on the schedule, could surprise some people next year at UK.

On a related note, anyone think Charlie Strong is gone at Louisville? I'm guessing either Auburn or Tennessee.

WMR
12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Hold the phone on Brown, apparently reports of him being hired at UK were premature.

Would love to have him and his offense in Lex...

WMR
12-04-2012, 01:02 PM
The scuttlebutt I'm hearing is Bear Strong to UT and BOBBY P!! back to UL!

LMAO, that would be something.

Cards fans despise the guy, guessing they would forget about that pretty quickly though.

Scrap Irony
12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Petrino back to UofL would be a great story, though.

Great coach, down on his luck, returns to his greatest glory.

I have no doubt Petrino would keep them relevant in the ACC and nationally. He'd be a decent hire, were he there for the long haul. (And that's the problem, really-- can you trust Petrino to stay over the long haul?)

WVRed
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Thought you guys might be amused by where Joker ended up.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=24445

Not amused, actually happy for him.

He was in over his head as a head coach. He's excellent as a recruiting coordinator and was responsible for bringing in some great talent to Lexington. He just couldn't coach them up.

Great hire for Florida and I'll be pulling for Joker to do well, until September 28th. :)

WMR
12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Joker will finally get to whoop UL again. ;)

joshnky
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
The scuttlebutt I'm hearing is Bear Strong to UT and BOBBY P!! back to UL!

LMAO, that would be something.

Cards fans despise the guy, guessing they would forget about that pretty quickly though.

More importantly Jurich hates Petrino. Won't happen.

The Arkansas hire gives me hope with Strong. He would have been ahead of Bielma on the list so he must have turned them down. That always seemed to be his most likely landing place.

jmac
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
More importantly Jurich hates Petrino. Won't happen.

The Arkansas hire gives me hope with Strong. He would have been ahead of Bielma on the list so he must have turned them down. That always seemed to be his most likely landing place.
I was wondering how the relationship with BP and Jurich stood ? Listening to a local Louisville sports station on way home, they were mentioning Schnellenberger coaching bowl game if Strong takes the UT position tomorrow.
As far as the post about Petrino leaving again if he was rehired, I dont think we can have a lot of confidence in any coach any more at that aspect. Well I think Sabin would have to be looney to consider leaving.
If Stoops does well, people will come calling just like the current Strong, Davis situations.
As far as UK, WMR had me about doing a cartwheel (which would not be a pretty sight :laugh:) when he said Brown was the man.
Hopefully the Brown hire will come true.

joshnky
12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I was wondering how the relationship with BP and Jurich stood ? Listening to a local Louisville sports station on way home, they were mentioning Schnellenberger coaching bowl game if Strong takes the UT position tomorrow.
As far as the post about Petrino leaving again if he was rehired, I dont think we can have a lot of confidence in any coach any more at that aspect. Well I think Sabin would have to be looney to consider leaving.
If Stoops does well, people will come calling just like the current Strong, Davis situations.
As far as UK, WMR had me about doing a cartwheel (which would not be a pretty sight :laugh:) when he said Brown was the man.
Hopefully the Brown hire will come true.

Strong to Tennessee is looking likely. If so, I'd expect them to promote Watson after making a run at former alum Jay Gruden.

Scrap Irony
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing Jay Gruden is the first choice. He might very well come back to Louisville. If not, why not Butch Davis? The move to the ACC makes it easier for UC to swallow, and he'd be taking a step up, IMO. (The ACC move is a big one.)

joshnky
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm guessing Jay Gruden is the first choice. He might very well come back to Louisville. If not, why not Butch Davis? The move to the ACC makes it easier for UC to swallow, and he'd be taking a step up, IMO. (The ACC move is a big one.)

I assume you mean Butch Jones. That would be surprising and most fans wouldn't be too happy about it. UofL will want to keep the Florida pipeline open which really isn't Jones' turf.

Boston Red
12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm a Louisville fan. I never hated Petrino. He left Louisville for an NFL job, so why should I be mad at him? I'd welcome him back iwith open arms. I thoroughly enjoyed the 41-9 and would love to do it again.

WMR
12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Strong told the Cards fans they need to be more like BBN. Better check his pool for floaters! :lol:

Made the Lil Bro fans madder than hell! :D

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=10828214&p=1 :censored::runaway::redface:

jmac
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Strong told the Cards fans they need to be more like BBN. Better check his pool for floaters! :lol:

Made the Lil Bro fans madder than hell! :D
Yes....even if the UT thing fell/falls thru, this has alot of Cardinal fans livid.

jmac
12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Well , looks like Sonny Dykes is going to Cal which in turn could net Neal Brown the Louisiana Tech head coaching job.
I was really hoping Brown to be the OC. Who knows how it will play out.

jmac
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Update: Several others now mentioning Brown which makes his coming to UK less likely.

WVRed
12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Update: Several others now mentioning Brown which makes his coming to UK less likely.

Southern Miss and UTEP head coaching vacancies. I think he would leave for Kentucky for an offensive coordinator job being from Kentucky and playing here, but not to pass up on a head coaching job.

jmac
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Stoops continues to put together impressive staff. Hopefully we hear from Brown tomorrow.

cumberlandreds
12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Stoops continues to put together impressive staff. Hopefully we hear from Brown tomorrow.

Sounds like it's a done deal. Neal Brown will be the OC.

Boston Red
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, it now appears Stoops is going to have a VERY interesting opening game as UK head coach.

cumberlandreds
12-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, it now appears Stoops is going to have a VERY interesting opening game as UK head coach.

Just to expound on that, it appears Bobby Petrino will be the new HC at WKU.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/10/bobby-petrino-western-kentucky/

Sea Ray
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Sounds like it's a done deal. Neal Brown will be the OC.

They're opting to cut ties with Randy Sanders? Horrors...

Scrap Irony
12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Just to expound on that, it appears Bobby Petrino will be the new HC at WKU.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/10/bobby-petrino-western-kentucky/

WOOT!!!!!

Just for clarification: Harbaugh, Taggert, Petrino in football over the past decade screams that WKU ADs know how to target successful young coaches.

In basketball, the list is more extensive and goes back much further. Tom Crean being one of them.

Boston Red
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Only Taggert was young among the football coaches.

jmac
12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I have to admit, Stoops would have been around 3 or 4 on my list but now, excitement is building and with the coaches brought on, looks like he was a good choice.
Now if that just translates to the field...........:thumbup:

dabvu2498
12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Only Taggert was young among the football coaches.

David Elson was young. He just wasn't especially good.

WVRed
12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
WOOT!!!!!

Just for clarification: Harbaugh, Taggert, Petrino in football over the past decade screams that WKU ADs know how to target successful young coaches.

In basketball, the list is more extensive and goes back much further. Tom Crean being one of them.

Bobby Petrino's young?

I get what you're saying though.

WMR
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Has Charlie Strong earned a 4 million dollar a year paycheck?

Or is Tom Jurich just spending like a drunken sailor yet again with the Kentucky taxpayer left to pick up the bill?

jmac
12-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Stoops does the "Y" in his first UK game today. :)

jmac
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I seen reports of the wrestler "Sting" touring the UK campus several days ago and wondered what was up. Seems as though, UK is recruiting his son, Steve Bordon who has UK listed as number 1 on his list right now.

Scrap Irony
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Stoops certainly hit the ground running. This might be the best group of Kentucky assistants since Don Shula, Buddy Ryan, and that crew under Blanton Collier.

Of course, that group didn't break .500 in the SEC.

Still, the schedule sets up nicely for Kentucky. There are at least seven winnable games on the schedle, and they lose only a couple standout linemen and a WR or two from a very young team last year. If they can find a couple of Randall Cobb/ Stevie Johnson-type playmakers and if Stoops can indeed install a moderately effective defense, this team could maybe win eight games.

WMR
12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I think we're going to finally be able to recruit a team full of SEC-level players.

I think Stoops and the staff he has assembled are going to be able to coach them up.

But he and his staff haven't earned any of that yet... cautiously optimistic is what I guess I would label myself as. When I see next year's recruiting class I'll be able to tell you a lot more (not this current class, the one after).

Scrap Irony
12-18-2012, 07:12 AM
So in your esteemed position as fanatic par excellance, does Barnhart deserve credit for this hire, WMR? Because, from my vantage point, he's been AD at the time they've hired their best:
Men's basketball coach (yes, including Adolph Rupp)
Women's basketball coach
Baseball coach (twice)
Second-best football coach (Bryant number one, Brooks number two)
Tennis coach
Volleyball coach

UK has enjoyed its most success overall (Barnhart's mission when he accepted the job, remember) since he's been AD. Women's basketball is now a Top 10 program consistently. Baseball is relevant. Golf, tennis, track, volleyball, rifle-- all are Top 25 programs or better nationally much more often under him than previous administrations. And, while I realize you don't care about the non-revenue sports, let me assure you, the university does.

Not only that, Kentucky athletics also has made more money under Barnhart than any other AD.

His teams have won-- and won clean. A basketball championship. The most sustained success in football in decades. Perhaps ever. Baseball in the NCAA field. Women's basketball in the Elite Eight. No major NCAA violations. No secondary violations that have brought any recrimations. The highest APR scores of any AD in school history.

That's a heck of a resume, IMO.

WMR
12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
His pompous comments and attitude are still on the record.

He botched hires at the only two sports that matter.

He gets NO credit for Cal.

Mitchy should just keep his head down and pray that Stoops is the real deal.

WMR
12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah, he better pray that Stoops doesn't get his ass kicked by Petrino in the first game... He will NEVER live it down if that happens.

WVRed
12-18-2012, 12:41 PM

And one of those botches was a sociopathic alcoholic and one of the worst hires that cannot be explained.

I'm highly optimistic with what Stoops has done, but I'll wait and see how it translates onto the field before anointing him the next Bear Bryant.

WMR
12-19-2012, 11:16 PM
UK signed the #1 JuCo DE in the country.

jmac
12-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Here's an article on the signing :

Za'Darius Smith, one of the nation's top-rated junior college prospects, announced today he will continue his football career by signing with Kentucky
Smith racked up 66 tackles and 11 sacks in two seasons at East Mississippi Community College
Smith rapidly ascended to SEC prowess. A basketball player at heart, he didn't play football until his senior year at Greenville High
GREENVILLE, Ala. -- Za'Darius Smith, one of the nation's top-rated junior college prospects, signed today to continue his collegiate football career with the Kentucky Wildcats at a press conference at Greenville High School.

"It's been rough, it's been tough and it was a hard thing to do making this decision," Smith said. "But the next two years, I'm going to have to go with the Wildcats."

Smith, the No. 1 junior college strong-side defensive end according to JCGridiron.com, follows his defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh from East Mississippi to Lexington, Ky. Bumbaugh was named the Wildcats defensive line coach on Dec. 18, one of the first hires by new coach Mark Stoops, who recruited Smith when he was the defensive coordinator at Florida State.

"I know this staff," Smith said. "I just feel comfortable here. Coach Stoops is a defensive man. (Brumbaugh) coached me for a year and he got me where I need to be, as in all the SEC and ACC offers. I can continue that and just go on to bigger and better places with him."

Smith racked up 66 tackles and 11 sacks in two seasons at East Mississippi Community College. This season he recorded 6.5 sacks and forced four fumbles on his way to being named to the NJCAA Football All-America Team.

Smith rapidly ascended to SEC prowess. A basketball player at heart, he didn't play football until his senior year at Greenville. His high school coach Ben Blackmon, who now coaches Gulf Shores, said he recruited the 6-foot-6, 250 specimen to the gridiron.

"He was a basketball kid in high school," Blackmon said. "We stayed after him for a long time trying to get him to come to football. He finally figured it out, 'football might be my sport.'"

Smith is the lone 4-star player in Kentucky's 61st ranked recruiting class on Rivals.com. While most of his focus is on football, he said he will be in attendance for the Wildcats' basketball games. He reports on Jan. 13 and is ready to make an impact.

"I want to take my talent to Kentucky," Smith said. "I can do a lot at Kentucky. I know the head coach. We're going to make big plays together."

He chose UK over FSU,Miami, MSU,Missouri and Texas A & M.

cumberlandreds
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
He was a great recruit for UK football. He should make an immediate impact and maybe be the difference in a game or two. Stoops is off to a great start!

WMR
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
You want to know whether or not a recruit is LIKELY (always exceptions) worth a damn? Look at his offer sheet.

New York Red
12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the first time in the history of the world in which UK fans are more excited about football in late December than basketball. I bet even the Mayans didn't see that coming.

jmac
12-21-2012, 12:43 PM
One report says UK's chances with Ryan Timmons are excellent though reporter thinks OSU may make a run at him.

jmac
12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Nice to read this: check out the link below for a look at him

Asiantii Woulard, the fourth ranked quarterback in the nation, is visiting Kentucky on January 11th. Woulard, a four star prospect from Winter Park, Florida, will visit campus with his teammate and current UK commit Blake McClain. He’s being courted by over a dozen top schools, including LSU, Florida, Tennessee and Florida State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyYraGompoQ

Topcat
12-30-2012, 02:44 AM

Or is Tom Jurich just spending like a drunken sailor yet again with the Kentucky taxpayer left to pick up the bill?

Is Louisville not the largest source of Taxes in Kentucky?:confused:

Topcat
12-30-2012, 02:48 AM

Who would want Credit for Coach Cal :lol: it will come and part of you truly know's it. Probation and then what????

joshnky
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Who would want Credit for Coach Cal :lol: it will come and part of you truly know's it. Probation and then what????

I was going to condemn this comment but their has been so much trolling lately regarding Charlie Strong and uofl basketball that I don't think facts matter much.

Joseph
12-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Is Louisville not the largest source of Taxes in Kentucky?:confused:

As someone who now lives in Louisville, but lived most of his life outside Louisville, I can say with all certainty that no one gives a damn about Louisville outside the 265 loop. Size, taxes, school, it doesn't matter. I LOVE the city so don't think I'm here just denigrating for the sake of denigrating it, but no one cares and no amount of pumping it up to non-Louisville folks is going to earn Louisville [city/school/other] one additional iota of respect. Louisville will never be on par with UK in terms of statewide interest. Not a win yesterday, or the largest tax base, or even national championships will change that.

Right now it all comes off [on both sides] as a pissing contest and the only thing thats being accomplished is more animosity.

Topcat
12-31-2012, 02:51 AM
As someone who now lives in Louisville, but lived most of his life outside Louisville, I can say with all certainty that no one gives a damn about Louisville outside the 265 loop. Size, taxes, school, it doesn't matter. I LOVE the city so don't think I'm here just denigrating for the sake of denigrating it, but no one cares and no amount of pumping it up to non-Louisville folks is going to earn Louisville [city/school/other] one additional iota of respect. Louisville will never be on par with UK in terms of statewide interest. Not a win yesterday, or the largest tax base, or even national championships will change that.

Right now it all comes off [on both sides] as a pissing contest and the only thing thats being accomplished is more animosity.

That is truly sad. I knew there was a sports rivalry but Jesus to hate on a major economic center that will provide employment for many with in the state is truly tragic:(

jmac
12-31-2012, 06:33 PM
A couple that "could become blue " :

Ben Bradley, a 6’2″, 315-pound junior college defensive tackle, will visit the Cats this weekend before deciding between Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri and Nebraska. Bradley played at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas and is ranked the fourth overall JuCo prospect by Rivals. He decommitted from Tennessee last week, which is when Kentucky entered the picture.

Originally, Bradley was set to decide on Wednesday, but pushed the decision back so he could visit Kentucky and Auburn. He will announce his decision on January 7th, the same day he will enroll in his college of choice.

and it also looks like Rashaad Samples has a UK visit on the 11th.

Samples is already committed to Oklahoma State, but chose the Cowboys over Texas Tech, where he was recruited by Neal Brown. Samples said that he had a better relationship with Brown than any other coach in his recruitment, a sentiment which has him taking a second look at the Cats.

Now I realize what you may say. UK will not get these guys. Maybe we will or maybe we wont, but it is nice to at least see UK now in the conversation with people like this. :thumbup:

jmac
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Another visiting on Jan 11th :

Antoine Miles, a three-star defensive end previously committed to Nebraska has decommitted and is considering coming to Kentucky, according to Brandon Cavanaugh, a college football writer for RantSports.com.

Miles, listed at 6’3″ and 265 lbs, was recruited by Vince Marrow, who left Nebraska a month ago to work for Mark Stoops. According to Rivals, Miles has a visit to Lexington scheduled for January 11th, which is also the day Ra’Shaad Samples and Asiantii Woulard will be on campus.

Boston Red
01-03-2013, 04:29 AM

I'm gonna have to go with yes.

WMR
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm gonna have to go with yes.

Props to UL. UF clearly had no interest in playing this game but a win is a win.

Bridgewater is really great.

Boston Red
01-03-2013, 05:06 PM
UF clearly had no interest in playing this game

:laugh:

jmac
01-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Jaleel Hytyche, a 4-star CB from Cincinnati LaSalle High School, to UK ! :beerme:

WMR
01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Huge get. UK has ALWAYS struggled to recruit high end Cincy talent. Getting a foothold there would be awesome.

jmac
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
4-star defensive tackle Ben Bradley will be making his college decision on Twitter at 11 a.m. The choice for Bradley comes down to Auburn and UK . I have seen reports today he is leaning toward Auburn but you never know.
It is still amazing to me, we as UK football fans can actually talk about football "recruiting" instead of just in the basketball threads. ;)

jmac
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
4-star defensive tackle Ben Bradley will be making his college decision on Twitter at 11 a.m. The choice for Bradley comes down to Auburn and UK . I have seen reports today he is leaning toward Auburn but you never know.
It is still amazing to me, we as UK football fans can actually talk about football "recruiting" instead of just in the basketball threads. ;)
Bradley to Auburn.

cumberlandreds
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Bradley to Auburn.

Sounded like UK was on him until the bitter end. Stoops is getting his foot in the door on some good players and that foot in getting harder to push away.

Joseph
01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
any new rumors?

jmac
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Jojo Kemp, all purpose back out of Florida to announce next week. Down to UK, WVU and Pitt.
Woulard visits UK next week as Florida has entered the picture now.
There is also a Juco CB, Nate Willis, who has it down to Baylor and UK after eliminating KSU and South Florida.
He said “It’s a pretty good school and they’ve got good coaches that came over from Florida State like Coach Stoops. It kind of shakes up my top four and they will be a big threat in my recruitment.” He is the # 3 rated JUCO CB.

jmac
01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Per his twitter:

Asiantii Woulard‏@Asiantii_2

#UK official with my guy @Bmcclain6 in two days! #bbn

jimbo
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated on UK football recruits jmac. I've grown to be a fan of UK football as I have friends who live in Lexington and they've taken me to some games and have shown me how to properly tailgate. :)

I'm really excited about what Stoops has already brought to the program, excitement again for UK football being first and foremost.

jmac
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated on UK football recruits jmac. I've grown to be a fan of UK football as I have friends who live in Lexington and they've taken me to some games and have shown me how to properly tailgate. :)

I'm really excited about what Stoops has already brought to the program, excitement again for UK football being first and foremost.

Ur welcome. It is fun keeping up with the football side of recruiting. Havent ever had much reason to before. :D
Seriously Stoops is getting UK at least on the radar with some of these guys which is a nice step.

WMR
01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Did you know that that Woulard kid sent the JOKE and company tapes and they wouldn't even call him back?

Now that that bumbling failure is at UF, I guess someone finally told him to recruit the guy.

JOKE looking worse all the time, possibly worst UK coach ever, which is really saying something.

Personally, I think Muschamp let JOKE give the pre-game speech before playing their bowl game. :D I think JOKE was also behind that epic fail of a decision to go for the onside kick to begin the 2nd half.

jmac
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
These kids havent signed but one that was FSU bound , 4 star DT Deadrin Senate is now considering and due to visit UK.
Notice this that has been tweeted today and the follow up tweet :

T.J. Walker‏@TWalkerRivals

A couple 4stars “@RowlandRIVALS: Have learned 4-star DT Deadrin Senate will likely take official to #UK w/ Mackensie & Mackenro Alexander

Michael Langston‏@MichaelWarchant

@TWalkerRivals Would not shock me if they got all three. Stoops always had a great relationship with Immokalee(Florida)

jmac
01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Did you know that that Woulard kid sent the JOKE and company tapes and they wouldn't even call him back?

Now that that bumbling failure is at UF, I guess someone finally told him to recruit the guy.

Yes WMR, Joker never gave him a glance when he reached out to UK. That is hard to believe but apparently true.
This kid signing would be huge ! Obviously, no one knows how HS kids will translate to college and many do indeed fizzle.
I do know that I read a scout's take on him the other day and he was described as having Cam Newton type ability even as a freshman.
I am not saying by any means he would/will have that kind of success, only these are the type players we always read about the Bama's,LSU's etc being mentioned with. (As an example, now Florida is in on Woulard )
Stoops is getting the ball rolling and maybe a 5 or 6 win first season and an exciting style offense with keep it rolling.

wolfboy
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Good news for UK football fans:

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/8604-kentucky-announces-plans-to-upgrade-facilities

jmac
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
This could be a huge recruiting weekend for UK football.

Another Ohio guy headed toward Lexington :

Lovell Peterson 6-3 280 Huber Heights, Ohio commits today !! :thumbup:

According to ESPN, had offers from WVU and Illinois and others such as OSU and UC had shown some interest.

Also 4 Star WR Ryan Timmons has cancelled his visit to OSU which may mean good things for UK. :clap:

jmac
01-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Asiantii Woulard tweeted this pic today while visiting UK ! Maybe he will announce before he leaves. :)

jmac
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
From the State of Ohio, Kyle Meadows, a 3 star OL, with offers from Florida St, West Virginia and Louisville has said today he will wear BLUE !
Go Stoops Go ! ;)

jmac
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Javess Blue, a JUCO wide receiver, has signed with Kentucky today. Blue, who was also considering offers from Arizona State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, and West Virginia.
One write up says this on him : This JUCO WR is one of the more sought after prospects in this class. He is a big wide receiver with great hands. Blue is also a precise route runner, who has the strength to shake off would-be tacklers to get yards after the catch. He’d be a great addition to Kentucky’s offense… and ready to contribute immediately. He and offensive coordinator Neal Brown are familiar with each other from his visit to Texas Tech in early December.

I am not expecting a 9 or 10 win season next year but you have to be impressed with what Stoops is doing in the short time span since taking the job.

If you check out the below link of ESPN's JUCO rankings......Stoops & UK has brought the #11 and # 12 on board.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8743658/espn-junior-college-100

jmac
01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Trinity’s Jason Hatcher who decomitted from USC earlier to host UK on in home visit.
USC, Alabama, Arkansas, TexasAM, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida also after Hatcher.

joshnky
01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Trinity&rsquo;s Jason Hatcher who decomitted from USC earlier to host UK on in home visit.
USC, Alabama, Arkansas, TexasAM, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida also after Hatcher.

You forgot to list UofL who is the leader to land him and also is hosting him for his last visit before signing day. And he hasn't decommitted from USC and is actually visiting them next week.

If stoops gets him out of Louisville it will be a major steal.

jmac
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
You forgot to list UofL who is the leader to land him and also is hosting him for his last visit before signing day. And he hasn't decommitted from USC and is actually visiting them next week.

The report I read said he had decommited. My bad.
He did post on twitter, he is very impressed with the fan interest in UK football now,so UK has a shot at least.

joshnky
01-13-2013, 09:31 PM
The report I read said he had decommited. My bad.
He did post on twitter, he is very impressed with the fan interest in UK football now,so UK has a shot at least.

Like I said it would be quite the steal. I think USC is still the leader but UofL has gained ground by virtue of the sugar bowl win, the commitment of Quick, and USC's poor showing this year. The February visit should also help.

UK fans have to be excited that Stoops at least is attempting to recruit at Trinity.

Boston Red
01-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Speaking of Trinity, someone (UofL or UK) should go ahead and offer Ralph Dawkins's kid. Bobby Petrino has to enjoy that those two are at least giving him a shot at a player like Dawkins.

joshnky
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Regarding Jason Hatcher:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/2013/01/13/qa-with-jason-hatcher-on-uk-visit-usc-pledge-u-of-ls-pitch/

jmac
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Regarding Jason Hatcher:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/2013/01/13/qa-with-jason-hatcher-on-uk-visit-usc-pledge-u-of-ls-pitch/

Looks like after the combination of USC's season and U of L's Bowl win and UK's new coach, that USC comitted percentage wouldnt be so high.

Whether Stoops gets him or not, it is nice to see him going after these top guys or I'll say trying to recruit with the big boys.
Joker appeared to look at it, like "we wont get them so why bother".

jmac
01-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Reese Phillips : This kid has already enrolled at UK. Sort of puzzling since they have MSmith,Towles, Whitelow and are activily after Asiantii Woulard.
I wonder if they are wondering about Smith's and Towles durability.
Anywho....here is what Coach Stoops had to say about and a short youtube clip. 6'3 and pro style and looks like a nice arm.

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Former Signal Mountain quarterback Reese Phillips, who was the Most Valuable Player of the Tennessee High School East/West All-Star Classic in December, has enrolled at the University of Kentucky for the spring semester, head coach Mark Stoops announced Wednesday.

"We're excited about Reese getting started with us," Stoops said. "Being able to enroll at mid-year and go through spring practice will greatly help his development."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTdrobKkIU

jmac
01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
With the today's Nate Willis committment, UK moved up to #37 in the recruiting rankings

Woohoo....yes I know to the Football powers, this isnt much but for what UK football has been, Stoops has come in and done a recruiting job. If Stoops could get 2 or so from the group of Hatcher,Timmons, Asiantii Woulard, or Ra’shaad Samples , UK could be looking at a #25 or so ranking. :)

Here a few currently behind UK in the rankings:
Penn State
Oregon
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Stanford
Kansas State
Louisville
Arkansas

Again...not saying UK will be a Top 25 team next season but Stoops is building something.

WMR
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
You know, I'll get over how pathetic Joker was eventually, but it hasn't happened yet.

He should be SO embarrassed of the effort and results he had at UK. Stoops has outdone his 3 years in his first 50 days.

jmac
01-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Today Hatcher did officially decommit from the Trojans. Looks like it is down to Ky or Louisville. Wow....can you imagine a few years ago saying a stud would take UK or U of L over USC ? ;)
I would give U of L the advantage now but it may just be a slight margin right now. We shall see.

WMR
01-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Where was that Card fan who was saying there was no trouble with Clint Hurtt? Gonna have to dig that thread up...

Bridgewater was likely given illegal benefits in his recruitment to UM by "Recruiter of the Year" :wink wink:. Should not have been allowed to follow Hurtt to UL. There are a few others.

Boston Red
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
It's disgusting when a coach moves on to a new program and leaves the old program on probation. Just shameful.

WMR
01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Bruce FeldmanþBFeldmanCBS

Am told by source Lville asst Clint Hurtt got his call from NCAA (Shapiro case) & "they're pretty much throwing everything at him."

Wonder how many illegal inducements Hurtt gave to players who ended up at UL?

jmac
01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Noteworthy football news today :

Big news from the football recruiting world late. 4 star LB and national Top 250 player James Hearns has decommitted from Florida. The LB says he wants to look elsewhere and he is visiting Lexington this weekend.

@RowlandRIVALS 4-star LB Hearns on #UK: "I would say they're my favorite. There's definitely a chance I'll commit this weekend b/c of Coach Stoops there."

jmac
01-26-2013, 02:49 PM
The four-star linebacker,James Hearns, from Tallahassee is visiting Lexington this afternoon, along with a host of other highly-rated recruits, and all will be court side in Rupp Arena as the Cats take on the Tigers from LSU. Hearns is visiting with his buddy Keith Kelsey Jr., a three-star linebacker from Gainesville.

Tweet : Hearns @JamesHearns21

Loving it up here #BBN #StoopsTroops
:

jmac
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Jason Hatcher, Marcus McWilson, Ryan Timmons, Hearns and Kelsey Jr. all on campus today. Hopefully they all have a GREAT time !

:thumbup::thumbup:

New York Red
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
According to Twitter, Stoops got two commitments today. Haven't seen any names yet.

jmac
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
According to Twitter, Stoops got two commitments today. Haven't seen any names yet.
I have unofficially that Hearns is one but cant confirm yet.

jmac
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Sundays news:

Marcus McWilson, the 4-star DB has officially de-committed from Nebraska, and he says UK is now in the lead. He told Rivals that, “I just told the coaches up at Nebraska…I called them up and officially de-committed.” He said the decision was “not emotional” and that he is doing what’s best for him.

WMR
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Sundays news:

Marcus McWilson, the 4-star DB has officially de-committed from Nebraska, and he says UK is now in the lead. He told Rivals that, “I just told the coaches up at Nebraska…I called them up and officially de-committed.” He said the decision was “not emotional” and that he is doing what’s best for him.

Some hilarious meltdowns over this kid on the Nebraska boards.

Two things:

1) This isn't Tom Osbourne's Nebraska.

2) This sure as hell isn't JOKEr's Kentucky!

:D

New York Red
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
McWilson officially committed to UK today, as did Alex Montgomery. The recruiting job Stoops has done, in just a couple months on the job, is mind-boggling.

jmac
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
One kid on the radar, Keith Kelsey Jr., today chose Louisville over KY.
Hopefully Hearns signs and we will be okay there.

Also, Alex Montgomery out of Florida commits today choosing UK over U of L.
Here is a tweet on AM.
@MichaelWarchant Have to say possibly the biggest steal for Kentucky in landing Alex Montgomery. Kid dominated State Finals

jmac
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
A couple of UK targets will be announcing tomorrow :

Jojo Kemp 7:15 PM
WR Jeff Badet Friday 7pm

Hoping they will join Stoops & company in BBN ! :thumbup:

jmac
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
A couple of UK targets will be announcing tomorrow :

Jojo Kemp 7:15 PM
WR Jeff Badet Friday 7pm

Hoping they will join Stoops & company in BBN ! :thumbup:

Choice made : Big Blue Bound Baby !!
:beerme::beerme:

JoJo Kemp
All-Purpose Back

Kemp is a former South Florida commit who Stoops was able to flip over to the blue side. He had offers from a number of schools, including programs we’re getting used to beating out for recruits, like Tennessee, West Virginia and Nebraska. He was very high on the staff’s list because of the way he fits into Neal Brown’s system. It’s a perfect match and it won’t be long before that’s crystal clear to everyone.

Jeff Badet
WR
Jeff Badet, a 3-star wide receiver, announced his commitment tonight by saying that he would be “taking my talents down to Lexington.” Badet mentioned the fact that while on his visits to Kentucky, he really bonded with the players from the DBs to the kickers. Badet specifically mentioned quarterback Max Smith as being one of the players he bonded with the most.
Badet mentioned that two of the big draws for him to Kentucky were the potential for playing time right away, as well as playing in the SEC. Badet also mentioned Neal Brown’s offense as being a huge draw, discussing how he has 4 wide receivers on the field at all times.Mark Stoops also helped to seal the deal when he immediately visited Badet’s parents following his official visit to Lexington. “Big thing with Mark Stoops is when I took my visit, he literally came down to my house the next day to go see my parents and talk about my visit.”

jimbo
02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I am continuously impressed by what Stoops has already done in the short time he's been the UK coach. It's a very exciting time to be a Wildcat football fan. Next fall is going to be a lot of fun.

Thanks again for all of the updates jmac!!

jmac
02-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Your welcome. It will be interesting to see where UK's class ranks next week after NSD.
Since there is so many posts in this thread concerning 2013 recruits, I wonder if one of the mods could just change the thread title to 2013 from 2012. I am not sure how to do it and even though I started the thread, I might not have access to anyway. I'm not sure how that works.
Thanks.

jmac
02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
UK's current recruiting class ranks 33 according to Rivals with NSD this week.
A few good ones are still out there so UK could move up though other teams could as well.
Even as of right now if no one else committed, Coach Stoops has really done a remarkable job !
Hopefully Timmons and few more (Hatcher maybe ) commit. :D

WMR
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
If JOKEr somehow managed to flip Timmons he would complete the transformation to despised, LOL. Hopefully he'll stick with UK.

jmac
02-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Okay UK fans, did you get to see the UK commercial tonight ? If not, here it is....sort of makes you ready for football !! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p496W6dDERI&feature=youtu.be

WVRed
02-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Timmons to announce today at 1

cumberlandreds
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Timmons to announce today at 1

Timmons is Cat!

WMR
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Stoops is killing it!! Hearing lots of rumors about good things regarding Hatcher on the morrow! :eek: