View Full Version : 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Ohayou
11-23-2012, 12:57 PM
...and another blackout! What a joke.

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
...and another blackout! What a joke.

This city is an absolute joke of a sports town. The Bengals are 5-5 this year and in the playoff push, and coming off a playoff appearance last year, and can't sell out games vs. the Super Bowl champion Giants and Carson Palmer??? By comparison, the hapless Chiefs and Bills, who have suffered worse playoff droughts than the Bengals, sell out their games in smaller markets.

And UC basketball is ranked No. 23 in the nation and can't get more than 4,500 for its games? By comparison, Dayton rarely plays to less than 12,000 fans.

And UC football, coming off multiple Big East championships, can't sell out games in dinky Nippert Stadium?

And the Reds have the best record in MLB and can't draw fans either, unless the Cubs or Cards are here. And tickets for Game 5 of the NLDS selling for $4 outside the ballpark prior to the game???

There's no defending Cincinnati any more. It's as lame of a sports town as it gets. Frankly, it's embarrassing. ESPN is going to be all over it - Carson Palmer back in Cincinnati and the Bengals can't sell out one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL for it. All the while LA doesn't have a team. :thumbdown:

Stray
11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
[B] ESPN is going to be all over it - Carson Palmer back in Cincinnati and the Bengals can't sell out one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL for it. All the while LA doesn't have a team. :thumbdown:

Nah I doubt ESPN will spend much time on it. They're in the business of attracting viewers, if we don't even care about our own teams what makes them think anyone cares to hear about the Bengals on ESPN? That's why Cincinnati teams often get so little national attention. We have to be ridiculously good or do something ridiculously bad to attract the national spotlight.

Reds Freak
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
This city is an absolute joke of a sports town. The Bengals are 5-5 this year and in the playoff push, and coming off a playoff appearance last year, and can't sell out games vs. the Super Bowl champion Giants and Carson Palmer??? By comparison, the hapless Chiefs and Bills, who have suffered worse playoff droughts than the Bengals, sell out their games in smaller markets.

And UC basketball is ranked No. 23 in the nation and can't get more than 4,500 for its games? By comparison, Dayton rarely plays to less than 12,000 fans.

And UC football, coming off multiple Big East championships, can't sell out games in dinky Nippert Stadium?

And the Reds have the best record in MLB and can't draw fans either, unless the Cubs or Cards are here. And tickets for Game 5 of the NLDS selling for $4 outside the ballpark prior to the game???

There's no defending Cincinnati any more. It's as lame of a sports town as it gets. Frankly, it's embarrassing. ESPN is going to be all over it - Carson Palmer back in Cincinnati and the Bengals can't sell out one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL for it. All the while LA doesn't have a team. :thumbdown:

You buy a ticket?

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 03:19 PM
You buy a ticket?

Have two tickets. North end zone, lower deck, one section over from visitors' tunnel.

The fact that this is a lousy sports town is utterly indefensible at this point.

dougdirt
11-23-2012, 03:22 PM
The problem is that Cincinnati is a small town and sitting at home is generally much better than going to the game. Everyone (or nearly everyone) has a 40+ inch Full HD television to watch the game on, drinks are cheap, you can hang out with your buddies, follow your fantasy team much easier and sit inside and not deal with the weather. Oh, and save about $100 after you buy a ticket, pay for parking and grab a beverage and a hot dog. Unlike the Reds who can draw from a larger market, the Bengals aren't bringing in fans from Indianapolis or Columbus. Oh, and the Bengals have no playoff wins in the last 21 years in a sports town who knows nothing but let downs for the last 21 years (re: most of the actual fans lives).

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 03:29 PM
The problem is that Cincinnati is a small town and sitting at home is generally much better than going to the game. Everyone (or nearly everyone) has a 40+ inch Full HD television to watch the game on, drinks are cheap, you can hang out with your buddies, follow your fantasy team much easier and sit inside and not deal with the weather. Oh, and save about $100 after you buy a ticket, pay for parking and grab a beverage and a hot dog. Unlike the Reds who can draw from a larger market, the Bengals aren't bringing in fans from Indianapolis or Columbus. Oh, and the Bengals have no playoff wins in the last 21 years in a sports town who knows nothing but let downs for the last 21 years (re: most of the actual fans lives).

Some of these points hold water but others don't. Again, franchises like the Chiefs, Bills and Browns have worse - WORSE - playoff records the past two decades but don't have any problems selling out. And those markets are similar to Cincinnati or smaller.

Plus, unlike KC, which is relatively isolated, Cincinnati can draw from Dayton, Lexington, Louisville, elsewhere. Even take Columbus and Indy out of the equation, there should be more than enough people in the 2.2 million Greater Cincinnati metro, the Dayton metro, the Lexington and Louisville metros and some stragglers from Columbus and elsewhere to sell out a relatively small NFL stadium. Let's face it: PBS isn't exactly Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

Finally, they don't have "40+ inch full HD televisions" in every other city?

Fact is, this isn't a Bengals thing as much as some people like to assume it is. This city barely turns out for anything, as evidenced by mediocre attendance for a very good Reds team (as we all know well) and nearly non-existent attendance for some very good UC teams.

Nothing moves the radar around here. It's a bad sports town.

dougdirt
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Some of these points hold water but others don't. Again, franchises like the Chiefs, Bills and Browns have worse - WORSE - playoff records the past two decades but don't have any problems selling out. And those markets are similar to Cincinnati or smaller.

Plus, unlike KC, which is relatively isolated, Cincinnati can draw from Dayton, Lexington, Louisville, elsewhere. Even take Columbus and Indy out of the equation, there should be more than enough people in the 2.2 million Greater Cincinnati metro, the Dayton metro, the Lexington and Louisville metros and some stragglers from Columbus and elsewhere to sell out a relatively small NFL stadium. Let's face it: PBS isn't exactly Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
I know that I wouldn't drive in for a 5-5 team from those places. In terms of the local area, Cincinnati is pretty darn small by NFL standards. Yeah, some other places are small too. Doesn't mean Cincinnati isn't.

Finally, they don't have "40+ inch full HD televisions" in every other city? Of course they do. They generally have much larger fan bases too.

Nothing moves the radar around here. It's a bad sports town.
Not arguing that. I am simply saying that this town isn't going to support a mediocre team and right now, that is what the Bengals are.

Just be glad we can watch the game online and it isn't 1997 when we couldn't.

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I know that I wouldn't drive in for a 5-5 team from those places. In terms of the local area, Cincinnati is pretty darn small by NFL standards. Yeah, some other places are small too. Doesn't mean Cincinnati isn't.

And that's the problem. Because people in other cities do drive in for 5-5 teams. In Cleveland, they'll drive for a 1-8 team.

Stray
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I don't think there's any question that Cincinnati is a bad sports town.

People will blame Mike Brown, Bob Huggins' firing, conference realignment, and all sorts of random things for not attending games. At this point they're more excuses than they are valid reasons.

I don't attend a ton of games so I'm not about to blame people for not going, can't tell people how to spend their money. I go to a few Reds games and maybe 1 Bengals game each year. Collectively the city just doesn't rally around its teams anymore. Heck there's more Bengals talk when the team sucks than there is when we win. People always wanna say I told you so, or talk about Mike Brown being the worst person alive...not many people want to talk about a business like win.

I have no idea what it is. Like Dougdirt said, at least there are online streams to get lol.

medford
11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
There is something much larger at work here, at least in regards to the Bengals...

The browns, the chiefs, the bills, etc... never had a "lost decade" OK, so the browns are getting there. The Bengals were not only the worst franchise in football for most of the 90s thru early 2000s, they were one of the worst run franchise in all of sports. It was a competition b/w them and the Clippers over who was run worse during that time period. The Bengals lost an entire generation of young kids growing up during that time period, fans that would currently be the core group of season ticket holders.

When Marvin came to town, the drafting got better, the on field results started to get better, but then they regressed hard a few years back, and there was never any success in the playoffs, never any lasting feeling that they were better than the Ravens or Steelers for the foreseeable future and worthy of investing in a pair of season tickets. Just when the Bengals started to win back a new generation of fans while re-capturing some of the old ones, the success was ripped away, not to mention the poor publicity of having guys run afoul of the law, Palmer's public trade deamands, the general jack-assedness of TO & Ocho, etc...

They started to get them back last season, but they're very much in a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me mode. There was some excitement at the start of the season that was quickly sapped by the destruction of the Ravens on opening night, and later the losses to the Dolphins & Browns. If they want to win the fans back, they'll need more than a 2 game winning streak.

In Kansas City, you have generations of fans who grew up going to KC games, because that is what you did on Sundays. You tailgatted w/ the same family's/friends, and your kids carried on the tradition. The Bengals lost that during the 90s. The cost of the NFL is so expensive, that if your relying on single game ticket sales, you're going to struggle. this team may well be in the playoff hunt, but its almost by default of being .500 vs a significant # of wins vs top competition. Other than the win over the giants, they've got a win at home vs a poor Browns team w/o their top corner, a win over a rookie QB in Washington, a win at a bad jacksonville team and a win at a bad KC team.

I want to believe, I want to hope, but they've gone little to prove to me that they're poised for a repeat trip to the playoffs. And that is why they're not selling out vs Oakland.

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't think there's any question that Cincinnati is a bad sports town.

People will blame Mike Brown, Bob Huggins' firing, conference realignment, and all sorts of random things for not attending games. At this point they're more excuses than they are valid reasons.

I don't attend a ton of games so I'm not about to blame people for not going, can't tell people how to spend their money. I go to a few Reds games and maybe 1 Bengals game each year. Collectively the city just doesn't rally around its teams anymore. Heck there's more Bengals talk when the team sucks than there is when we win. People always wanna say I told you so, or talk about Mike Brown being the worst person alive...not many people want to talk about a business like win.

I have no idea what it is. Like Dougdirt said, at least there are online streams to get lol.

Don't forget:

- It's a school night
- It's too hot
- It's too cold
- Traffic
- There's nowhere to park
- The game's on TV
- It's too expensive
- Beer is cheaper at home
- Drunk fans

It's all just chiche anymore. These things don't deter people in other cities from attending games.

dougdirt
11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
And that's the problem. Because people in other cities do drive in for 5-5 teams. In Cleveland, they'll drive for a 1-8 team.

Do they drive in for 5-5 teams with the history of the Bengals?

dougdirt
11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Don't forget:

- It's a school night
- It's too hot
- It's too cold
- Traffic
- The game's on TV
- It's too expensive
- Drunk fans

It's all just chiche anymore. These things don't deter people in other cities from attending games.

Dare I say that Cincinnati sports fans are just smarter? LOL

I still think it has a lot to do with the city just being beaten down by the poor teams and the bad luck sports Gods over the last 20 years. It has been either really bad teams, or just good enough to have something go horrifically bad and rip your heart out. There are only so many times you can have it happen before you stop spending $100 to go watch it in person.

WMR
11-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Bashing people for not supporting the worst owner in the NFL is pretty damn ballsy.

Has Mike Brown earned unquestioned support? NOPE.

Bengals fans have finally wised up a bit and won't come running back to Mikey at the first hint of success. BRAVO!!!

Stray
11-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Bashing people for not supporting the worst owner in the NFL is pretty damn ballsy.

Bengals fans have finally wised up a bit and won't come running back to Mikey at the first hint of success. BRAVO!!!

I wasn't bashing anyone for not going to games, just making a general statement on Cincinnati being a bad sports town. The Mike Brown theory would make a lot more sense if Cincinnati fans were supporting the other local teams. Since we're not I don't buy it.

Reds Freak
11-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I wasn't bashing anyone for not going to games, just making a general statement on Cincinnati being a bad sports town. The Mike Brown theory would make a lot more sense if Cincinnati fans were supporting the other local teams. Since we're not I don't buy it.

After living in a couple of different cities the past ten years, I'd say that fans everywhere are pretty much the same. I hear these same attendance complaints every place I go. If Cincinnati is a "bad sports town", what would you call a "good sports town"?

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-23-2012, 11:58 PM

Again: This has nothing to do with the Bengals or Mike Brown. And to prove that, I present to you the pitiful attendance for the Reds and Bearcats.

If the Reds were raking in the fans and the Bearcats were selling out games all while the Bengals were struggling, I'd buy your argument. But since all teams are equally as inept at attracting fans, regardless of records, playoffs or individual season success, I'm not buying it.

This is a bad sports town. Period.

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-24-2012, 12:03 AM
After living in a couple of different cities the past ten years, I'd say that fans everywhere are pretty much the same. I hear these same attendance complaints every place I go. If Cincinnati is a "bad sports town", what would you call a "good sports town"?

That's easy. Here are a few, outside of the obvious like NYC, Boston, etc.:

Denver
Seattle
Washington, D.C.
Detroit
Minneapolis

Just look at Denver, a market barely larger than Cincinnati with absolutely zero in the way of surrounding population (so it's a wash), and they averaged 32,475 this past season for the woefully pathetic joke known as the Colorado Rockies, which was FAR, FAR BETTER than the Reds, who finished with the second best record in baseball.

And they sell out every Broncos game and rake in the fans for the Nuggets and Avs too.

And again, before anyone starts crying that Denver is a lot larger than Cincinnati (it's not), here are the latest MSA rankings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

camisadelgolf
11-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Has Mike Brown earned any support whatsoever? NOPE.
fyp

dabvu2498
11-24-2012, 06:38 AM

Tickets sold/stadium capacity:

Buffalo -- 95.1%
Cincinnati -- 94.0
Cleveland -- 91.8
KC -- 90.7

Just for fun, let's look at some "great" sports/pro football towns:
NY Giants -- 97.3
Pittsburgh -- 96.2
NY Jets -- 95.9
St. Louis -- 86.9
DC -- 85.7

Reds Freak
11-24-2012, 08:17 AM
That's easy. Here are a few, outside of the obvious like NYC, Boston, etc.:

Denver
Seattle
Washington, D.C.
Detroit
Minneapolis

Just look at Denver, a market barely larger than Cincinnati with absolutely zero in the way of surrounding population (so it's a wash), and they averaged 32,475 this past season for the woefully pathetic joke known as the Colorado Rockies, which was FAR, FAR BETTER than the Reds, who finished with the second best record in baseball.

And they sell out every Broncos game and rake in the fans for the Nuggets and Avs too.

And again, before anyone starts crying that Denver is a lot larger than Cincinnati (it's not), here are the latest MSA rankings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

I still think if you lived in those cities, you'd have a different perspective. Fans are the same everywhere. Also, I don't think attendance is the only measure to evaluate a sports town. Weren't the Reds at the top of MLB in TV ratings? I think it's impressive that Bengals fans have continued to support the franchise the way they do. It's hard to compare that to Denver, which has been to six Super Bowls and won two of them.

Also, you fail to mention Xavier basketball, which routinely fills the Cintas Center.

traderumor
11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
There is irony in complaining about a local TV blackout because the game isn't sold out. If you're local and you see the worth of seeing the team and want to see the game, then you can buy a ticket. Problem solved. And if you have a ticket, then the local TV blackout doesn't affect you.

And when they do sell out after not selling out, then the people who are complaining now about no sellouts will be complaining then about not being able to get a ticket because of all the fair weather fans gobbling up the tickets.

:thumbup::thumbdown::(:):confused::beerme:

Wonderful Monds
11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't forget:

- It's a school night
- It's too hot
- It's too cold
- Traffic
- The game's on TV
- It's too expensive
- Drunk fans

Oh, you have got to be kidding me. What an absolute joke series of posts.

PBS had a pretty good several year sellout streak going. And the stuff about the Bengals being the worst team in sports? Yeah that's not an excuse. This isn't a bad sports town, not by any means. If it were the Reds wouldn't have MLB's best TV and radio ratings. The city is just sick of losers. When the Bengals actually win a playoff game and stop getting their asses absolutely kicked every time the Steelers and Ravens are in town, if the blackouts are still happening, then you can talk.

BTW, maybe the NLDS tickets were so cheap because the team was about to pull off one of the most prolific choke jobs in about 20 years? One that star players started to lay on the feet of the fans? Despite that, if you were there like I was, you would know the stadium and banks were packed and buzzing. If you want to talk about a team that couldn't fill their stadium during the playoffs, see the Yankees during this year's ALCS.

Ohayou
11-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Sanu is coming along nicely. What a catch!

Stray
11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Total domination so far. Wow.

dougdirt
11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
I know the competition hasn't been strong the last two weeks, but when combined with the Giants as well..... where was this defense the first month and a half of the season!?

camisadelgolf
11-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I know the competition hasn't been strong the last two weeks, but when combined with the Giants as well..... where was this defense the first month and a half of the season!?
The d-line improved (largely thanks to Dunlap), Burfict started playing, Maualuga got less bad, and the secondary started tackling.

UKFlounder
11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
24- 10 now. Will Marvin play to win or play not to lose, with more than a uarter left?

CTA513
11-25-2012, 03:20 PM
its like they switched uniforms at half.

need to get back to the up tempo offense that was working in the 1st half.

CTA513
11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
27-10 Bengals after a field goal, but they needed to get more than that after having it 1st and goal at the 1 yard line.

UKFlounder
11-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Marvin is still Marvin - loses another replay challenge, then goes for a field goal instead of a touchdown

CTA513
11-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Raiders right tackle helping the Bengals pass rush even more by not even moving once the ball was snapped on 3rd and 24.

:laugh:

CTA513
11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
refs really helping the Bengals out this quarter.

Stray
11-25-2012, 04:09 PM
That 2nd half was a mess lol. I think they took their foot off of the gas, ah well they were still able to make enough plays. That inadvertent whistle and brawl was hilarious though.

6-5 and right back in it :thumbup:

UKFlounder
11-25-2012, 04:14 PM
3-1 to 3-5 and now 6-5 - pretty crazy, but they're in the playoff hunt, especially with Pittsburgh losing today

Stray
11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey Pittsburgh lost to the Browns, awesome.

CTA513
11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles and then finish up with the Steelers and Ravens.
The next three are all below .500 right now and are good at shooting themselves in the foot.
The final two games will be the toughest as they always seem to show up to play no matter what their records are.

Stray
11-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles and then finish up with the Steelers and Ravens.
The next three are all below .500 right now and are good at shooting themselves in the foot.
The final two games will be the toughest as they always seem to show up to play no matter what their records are.

I wouldn't be too upset if Baltimore is locked into their playoff seed with nothing to play for in week 17.

KoryMac5
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I always wonder how much of the O taking there foot off the gas is Marvin trying to play it safe. Jay Gruden seems like a guy who always wants to play 90 mph.

SD is a tough game next week, Bengals always have trouble on the West Coast.

Stray
11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I always wonder how much of the O taking there foot off the gas is Marvin trying to play it safe. Jay Gruden seems like a guy who always wants to play 90 mph.

SD is a tough game next week, Bengals always have trouble on the West Coast.

We ran a bootleg, a reverse, took a shot deep, and mixed in some runs in those 3 and outs. The play calling wasn't real conservative, Dalton just took a lot of sacks and we didn't make the plays. I think the team just took their foot off the gas.

Redsfaithful
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Need to win the next three, tall order, but possible. A six game winning streak out of the Bengals would be crazy.

Might be able to afford one loss if they can beat Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but you can't count on that. I thought they might be able to get in with 9 wins, but they needed Indy to lose to Buffalo I think for that to be realistic.

Reds Freak
11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I didn't see it, what was the story on the Whitworth incident? This wouldn't be the first time he got ejected for standing up for his quarterback. Will he be suspended next week?

Stray
11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I didn't see it, what was the story on the Whitworth incident? This wouldn't be the first time he got ejected for standing up for his quarterback. Will he be suspended next week?

We had a false start and after the play had been blown dead a Raider came and tackled Dalton. Whitworth went over and shoved him and got in his face, then a bunch of Raiders jumped in and there was a mini fight. According to Twitter there's a video of a Raider throwing kidney punches lol.

And I'd be shocked of Whit were suspended, he didn't do anything that bad. Most lineman are gonna stand up for their QB if he takes a cheap shot.

dougdirt
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
We had a false start and after the play had been blown dead a Raider came and tackled Dalton. Whitworth went over and shoved him and got in his face, then a bunch of Raiders jumped in and there was a mini fight. According to Twitter there's a video of a Raider throwing kidney punches lol.

And I'd be shocked of Whit were suspended, he didn't do anything that bad. Most lineman are gonna stand up for their QB if he takes a cheap shot.
The Kidney shots were from #90 on the Raiders. Somehow two Raiders were ejected from the game, but not the two that I saw throw multiple punches.

KoryMac5
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Dalton with 23 passing TD's on the season to go with 11 int's. Hated that Palmer quit but I will take how it all ended up.

Redsfaithful
11-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Before the season started this Chargers - Cowboys - Eagles stretch looked murderous.

Now it's a 4-7 team, a 5-6 team, and a 3-8 team. You get into the back half of the season and a 3-8 team doesn't have much to play for anymore. Players still play hard, but it's difficult I think to get as fired up for a game in such a brutal sport when your season is long over.

I am really dumb because I've let them suck me in again, but I think they will be at least 8-6 with a good shot at 9-5 going into the last two games.

Stray
11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I am really dumb because I've let them suck me in again

It's been pretty obvious that these aren't your same old Bengals for a while now. There's a lot more character, a lot more talent, and a lot better coaching across the board. The old Bengals would have collapsed after a four game losing streak, I think it says a lot about the guys we have now that they were able to rebound the way they have. And a ton of credit goes to Marvin and Zimmer, the turnaround has happened because of our defense.

Also I don't think it makes you dumb for enjoying it. We have a young team with a lot of fight, fans should be excited about it.

I am a little worried about this Sunday though. Never easy to go play out West, and the Chargers are way better than their record indicates. The one thing I like is that Rivers will take sacks, and when he takes those sacks he'll fumble the ball a lot. Our defense is gonna need to keep it rolling.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 10:54 AM
As a long time Bengal fan, I've learned to enjoy things other than playoffs. Just because they fall short of the playoffs doesn't mean you can't enjoy them during the season such as defeating the champs (Giants), winning streaks or 3 straight blowout wins.

Hoosier Red
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
As a long time Bengal fan, I've learned to enjoy things other than playoffs. Just because they fall short of the playoffs doesn't mean you can't enjoy them during the season such as defeating the champs (Giants), winning streaks or 3 straight blowout wins.

Regardless of the team's success, this is a healthy attitude to have. Lance McCallister makes the point often, "You don't have to give the happiness back if they ultimately disappoint."

It's not like the cynics waiting for the team to come back to earth are exactly models of how to attain happiness.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm thrilled that they're in the playoff hunt. If they end up not making it, at least I had a chance to enjoy the past three weeks. If they started 0-5, that wouldn't have been the case

Redsfaithful
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty optimistic with most things in life but with the Bengals they are great at kicking me in the teeth once I start to believe this time is different.

I've enjoyed the last three weeks quite a bit. I didn't think they had the slightest chance of overcoming a four game losing streak, so maybe this time really is different.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I've enjoyed the last three weeks quite a bit. I didn't think they had the slightest chance of overcoming a four game losing streak, so maybe this time really is different.

I didn't either and I'll give them credit for jumping back into it. I'm not convinced they'll go to the playoffs but if they do no more than give us a second winning season in a row then that'll be more evidence that they're not the same old Bengals

Redsfaithful
11-28-2012, 12:53 AM
That is true, 9 wins would be a big milestone.

Stray
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Huge huge blow to the offense. Sanu has a stress fracture in his foot and needs surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/bengals-mohamed-sanu-needs-surgery-could-be-out-for-season/

medford
11-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Sucks lossing Sanu, he was just starting to come into his own. Hopefully Jones & Hawkins are close to full health to help pick up the slack.

How long does it take to get back from something like that? If they made the playoffs, could he be ready in 6 weeks for a 1st round game?

Ohayou
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
WTH happened to Binns? Still nursing that bad ankle?

Tony Cloninger
12-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Huge huge blow to the offense. Sanu has a stress fracture in his foot and needs surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/bengals-mohamed-sanu-needs-surgery-could-be-out-for-season/

Cannot have good Bengal runs without some BS injury happening. I know football injuries are an oxymoron but good freaking grief with the Bengals BS bad luck.

Ohayou
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
...and that's why you keep two hands on the ball.

Ugly game.

Stray
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I can't believe we're only down 3. We can steal this game.

RiverRat13
12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
The second interception wasn't his fault, but Dalton has left a lot of points on the field today.

Ohayou
12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Time to put this one away.

RiverRat13
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Time to put this one away.

Yep. Get seven here, not three.

Stray
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM
That screen was a great call and looked like he might get a TD out of it. I guess the downer with Hawkins is that he usually goes backwards after being hit.

Roy Tucker
12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
You gotta go for the jugular there. It was almost like they didn't trust Dalton.

Now the Bolts have a chance.

Ohayou
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Joe Flacco should retire.

OldRightHander
12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Down to one play now. Have to get in his face big time here.

OldRightHander
12-02-2012, 07:35 PM
That will work.

UKFlounder
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I didn't think they would pull that one out, but they did. Wow.

Stray
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
It says a lot that we played a terrible game and were able to win in San Diego. Trips out West used to be instant losses.

I love Gresham's ability, but man the guy does one or three things every week that hurts us. A hold, a fumble, a big drop...just something.

But yeah, to play as sloppy as we did and pull out the win is huge. Especially since the Steelers and Colts won.

KoryMac5
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
This team normally loses these types of games glad to see they came through in crunch time today. Really thought Baltimore would crush Pitts at home unfortunately Cam Cameron forgets who Ray Rice is from time to time unless he's playing the Bengals.

Stray
12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
We aren't out of the division race.

traderumor
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
That was a good NFL football game, not the prettiest, but a good, competitive game against two pretty even teams. Three times of great field position were too much for the SD defense eventually. The Bengals D was incredible, only two field goals allowed. And that was after only a so-so first half.

cincrazy
12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Goodness. This team ha salvaged this season. I give them credit. I was BIG TIME down on them in the preseason, and for most of this season. But they haven't quit. Marvin still has the pulse of this team, which is amazing after all these years. Playoffs or not, Dalton and Co. are proving they're no fluke.

RiverRat13
12-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Not yet but it would obviously be very tough. The Bengals would lose the Divisional tiebraker to Baltimore so to have a shot the Bengals would need to win out and the Ravens could only win one more game in their last four. Thanks to Detroit's meltdown, Cincinnati's playoff chances probably will come down to Week 16 at Pittsburgh.

Reds Freak
12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Anyone know the tiebreaker situation with the Colts? Detroit blowing that game yesterday was killer. Indy still has Houston twice so I could see them losing two more games this year at most. Although Houston might be resting starters at some point.

Assembly Hall
12-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone know the tiebreaker situation with the Colts? Detroit blowing that game yesterday was killer. Indy still has Houston twice so I could see them losing two more games this year at most. Although Houston might be resting starters at some point.

Indy still can win their division. The Colt's last 4 games are Tennessee, @Houston, @Kansas City, Houston. They played the AFC East this year. They have not played anybody in the AFC wildcard discussion. So it will come down to conference record I presume? I think Indy can win 2 of those games and perhaps three, depending on what Houston's situation might be. The Texans play at New England next week, if they win it, it pretty much assures them of having home field through out.

medford
12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I'll assume (and I could be wrong) that since they didn't play and are not in the same division, the 1st tie breaker will be record vs AFC teams. The colts have lost 3 games vs AFC teams, and have only AFC teams left. The Bengals have 5 losses vs AFC teams, w 2 AFC games left.

I think we'd agree that the Bengals can afford 1 more loss at the most if they hope to win the WC. Lets say the lose is in the next 2 weeks (vs NFC team), that would mean the Colts would have to lose 2 more games in order to go to the next tie breaker (not sure what that is).

the steelers have 5 AFC losses as well and 3 AFC games left. If the Bengals win @ pittsburgh, they would then own the next tie breaker assuming they knock off baltimore at home (who may have nothing to play for at that point).

Assuming neither the Colts nor the Steelers spit the bit over the last 4, it would appear that they Bengals route to the playoffs will need a win in Pittsburgh as well as 2 more wins at a minimum.

The win yesterday was great, but the unexpected Steeler win, plus (presumably) getting toothlessraper back this weekend, plus the Colts last second win significantly limited the Bengals chances at a playoff spot even should they losse in Pittsburgh. At the height of the 4 game lossing streak, I was resigned to being dissapointed and questioning if Dalton was the long term answer or the long term stumbling block. Now, as long as they don't spit the bit over these last 4, and assuming they both take care of their own and have another solid draft this offseason, I think the long term is looking as strong as I can remember.

Again, assuming they can take care of their own, they have steady QB play at worst, a potentially great WR core, great depth across the offensive line, an outstanding defensive line and lots of depth at corner, perhaps even stellar play at corner depending on how Leon Hall continues to recover and what Dre gives him at Corner moving forward. They need to add a RB w/ game breaking ability, definently need to improve the depth and quality at lineback and safety.

medford
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Indy still can win their division. The Colt's last 4 games are Tennessee, @Houston, @Kansas City, Houston. They played the AFC East this year. They have not played anybody in the AFC wildcard discussion. So it will come down to conference record I presume? I think Indy can win 2 of those games and perhaps three, depending on what Houston's situation might be. The Texans play at New England next week, if they win it, it pretty much assures them of having home field through out.

I think all Bengals' fans agree, that we want Houston playing for "something" that last weekend, while the Ravens have nothing to play for that weekend.

Assembly Hall
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I think all Bengals' fans agree, that we want Houston playing for "something" that last weekend, while the Ravens have nothing to play for that weekend.

I understand. There are a few scenarios that can be played out. But then, that is why they play the games.;)

medford
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Of course in a potentially interesting twist, for Houston to have nothing to play for on the final football sunday, the colts likely have to lose to them in 2 weeks. I'll assume colts fans would prefer to beat the Texans in 2 weeks and take their chances on the final Sunday of the season.

Sea Ray
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Of course in a potentially interesting twist, for Houston to have nothing to play for on the final football sunday, the colts likely have to lose to them in 2 weeks. I'll assume colts fans would prefer to beat the Texans in 2 weeks and take their chances on the final Sunday of the season.

As Bengal fans, I don't even think we should look at the Colts spot. The idea is to take the #6 spot and get in. It's the Pittsburgh spot that we covet and if we lose to them twice then we don't deserve it

HotCorner
12-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Yeah the Ravens have a doozy of a December. @Redskins, Broncos, Giants and @Bengals.

Assembly Hall
12-04-2012, 07:47 AM
As Bengal fans, I don't even think we should look at the Colts spot. The idea is to take the #6 spot and get in. It's the Pittsburgh spot that we covet and if we lose to them twice then we don't deserve it

I aint much of a Bengals fan.......but I hate the Steelers.:D

medford
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I aint much of a Bengals fan.......but I hate the Steelers.:D

The enemy of my enemy is also my friend :) (or something like that)

Assembly Hall
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
The enemy of my enemy is also my friend :) (or something like that)

LOL.......yepper. Did I mention that I hate the Cowboys as well? Go get 'em Cincy!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful Monds
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Terrell Suggs might have a torn bicep. Ravens hurt by that big time.

camisadelgolf
12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
In news no one should care about, Nick Lachey was supposedly escorted out of Qualcomm Stadium for trash talking, but he refuted that claim on twitter.
http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/03/nick-lachey-kicked-out-chargers-bengals-game-video/

Lachey has issued a statement about the situation on Twitter ... saying, "For the record, i was not kicked out of the chargers game for excessive 'trash talking'. no, that honor belonged to the guy in front of me!"

He added, "i simply don't appreciate someone turning around and putting their finger in my face. call me crazy, but that deserved a reaction."

Lachey also praised Chargers fans ... saying, "aside from a few exceptions, i had a great time hanging with Charger fans all afternoon. honestly, some of the nicest fans around."

NJReds
12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
How the heck are the Bengals only 3.5 point favorites vs. the Cowboys. That line would be okay if the game was in Dallas, but they should be a 6-8 point favorite at home. The Cowboys are awful.

dabvu2498
12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
How the heck are the Bengals only 3.5 point favorites vs. the Cowboys. That line would be okay if the game was in Dallas, but they should be a 6-8 point favorite at home. The Cowboys are awful.

Lots of irrational Cowboys fans with money to bet on them, regardless of how bad they are.

bucksfan2
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Its a game the Bengals SHOULD win but I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas won.

NJReds
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Lots of irrational Cowboys fans with money to bet on them, regardless of how bad they are.

Apparently. Although the lined opened low. It's like Vegas is begging people to bet the Bengals here.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but I honestly would be surprised if they were able to go 2-2 down the stretch (@ Bengals, Steelers, Saints, @ Washington). I'd be more willing to bet that they go 0-4.

WMR
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Trap game!!

Redsfaithful
12-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I think San Diego was the trap game. I think any player would be up for the Dallas Cowboys just because of the name.

As a Bengals fan, I ask myself what would hurt the worst?

Right now that is winning the next two and then losing to the Steelers in a de facto playin game, so that's my prediction.

Sea Ray
12-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I think San Diego was the trap game. I think any player would be up for the Dallas Cowboys just because of the name.

As a Bengals fan, I ask myself what would hurt the worst?

Right now that is winning the next two and then losing to the Steelers in a de facto playin game, so that's my prediction.

SD sure or even more so, Philadelphia, seeing as it's right before the Steeler game. I don't see why they'd take Dallas lightly for lots of reasons.

Redsfaithful
12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I kind of like where the Philly game is, 10 days before the Steelers should help them not look ahead. Moreso than if it were 7 days before anyway.

The Eagles are really bad all around, and banged up pretty good to boot. Coaching staff is a mess. If the Bengals can't win that one then they don't deserve to go anyway.

Probably all moot as I just can't see them winning in Pittsburgh, but I feel like this is all a bonus as I'd completely written them off at 3-5. I appreciate any time they are in contention in December.

Redsfaithful
12-05-2012, 11:21 PM
And I will also say, if they could actually beat Pittsburgh, putting themselves in the playoffs at the expense of the Steelers ... that'd probably be my top Bengals moment of all time (I was only 7 in 1988.) So I hope they at least get the chance.

traderumor
12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
The Bengals are due to beat one or both of Ravens and Steelers. They always play better at Heinz than Mike Brown Stadium, and the Ravens have been very inconsistent and we have them at home. If they beat Dallas and Philly, they should only need one of those two to win the WC.

RichRed
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
The Cowboys are kind of a mess but it's not like they're the Chiefs or the Jags; they're 6-6. I hate Dallas (and Pittsburgh) like poison, so I hope the Bengals crush them, but it's hardly a gimme.

wolfboy
12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
SD sure or even more so, Philadelphia, seeing as it's right before the Steeler game. I don't see why they'd take Dallas lightly for lots of reasons.

I agree. If there's any trap game left, it has to be Philly.

PickOff
12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
No way the Bengals make the playoffs at 2-2 down the stretch, and 3-1 is no guarantee either. A few weeks ago I was about to stop watching them for the year, but they pulled me back in. I can't remember the last time the Bengals have looked so good in this many games in a row. That said, I am preparing for disappointment more than I am the playoffs.

Stray
12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Short of losing to the Eagles, nothing down the stretch is going to be a huge disappointment for me. Rebounding the way they have to play some meaningful December games was a huge accomplishment.

Those losses to Miami and Cleveland will be the killer if we can't get in.

Sea Ray
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
The problem is the injuries are starting to pile up. Just as Sanu started to fill a void, he goes down. Marvin Jones has a horrible game and now he's not practicing due to "illness".

Ced Peerman also fills a need out of the backfield and he went down last week. Now Nugent has a muscle pull of some sort so now they've reportedly signed another kicker.

Dre Kirkpatrick gets a few snaps under his belt and now he's out with a concussion.

This is all on top of losing Scott, Cook and a couple other starters before the year even began. You need good health for a borderline team to make the playoffs and we don't have that by any means

traderumor
12-06-2012, 02:18 PM
No way the Bengals make the playoffs at 2-2 down the stretch, and 3-1 is no guarantee either. A few weeks ago I was about to stop watching them for the year, but they pulled me back in. I can't remember the last time the Bengals have looked so good in this many games in a row. That said, I am preparing for disappointment more than I am the playoffs.Have you looked at the standings? 2-2 would get them 9-7 and the only team in front of them is the Steelers. 3-1 gets them 10-6, which is pretty much a sure thing because I don't think the Steelers will top it.

medford
12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
It depends upon who the 1 loss is to. 3-1 w/ a loss to the steelers and they're just about done for. That means the Steelers would have to lose 2 of their other 3 games (since they would own the tie breaker w/ the Bengals) against San Diego, @ Dallas & Cleveland.

3-1 w/ a win over the Steelers, but a loss to the Ravens brings up a question. For division race, it goes head to head, then record w/n the division. Is the record w/n the division a tie breaker should the Steelers & the Bengals be the only 2 teams involved? If so, under that scenerio, the Steelers would hold the tie breaker (3-3 in division vs the Bengals 2-4) The Steelers would then have to win all of their other 3 games to set up a tie.

3-1 w/ a loss to either Dallas or Philly w/ the Steelers losing only to the Bengals would I think give Cincy the edge. They'd split head to head, they'd have the same division record (if that mattered), but that would give the bengals 5 AFC losses, while the Steelers would have 6 (they have 5 AFC losses today, a loss to the Bengals would be #6)

If the Bengals go 3-1, the Colts just about have to go 1-3 for the Bengals to jump them. The Colts have 3 AFC losses to the Bengals 5, 4 losses total. If the Bengals lost to the Eagles or Cowboys, but won the rest, that would give them 6 losses total, 5 vs AFC teams. I believe the Colts only have AFC teams left, so any losses will be vs AFC teams. If they ended up tied w/ 5 AFC losses, a Indy win @ KC would give them the edge in common opponents (4-1 vs the Bengals 3-2). If they lost to KC, then they'd end up tied in that and the next would be strength of victory. I'm not sure who would win that one, but if the Colts lost to KC, and ended up 2-2, that would mean they'd have to have at least 1 win over Houston which may give them the edge overall.

So while there are a ton of possibilities out there, I'm thinking the Bengals either need to go 4-0, 3-1 w/ a win over Pittsburgh and Baltimore at a minimum, or either Pittsburgh or Indy need to collapse and go 1-3 or 0-4 over the final stretch.

Which brings me to my last point, the NFL really needs to do away w/ these "play the same team twice in a 3 week stretch" I know the Ravens failed in their bid to sweep the steelers, but they got to play Pittsburgh twice in 3 games w/o toothlessraper. That's a huge leg up on the rest of the division (or should have been) that could have been avoided if they had played them once early in the season and once late in the season. If Houston wins this weekend, they'll have the 1 seed locked up prior to playing Indy twice in 3 weeks to end the season, which means Indy could get the same team twice w/ nothing to play for, and a possibility to play a 3rd time in the playoffs, so why show them anything of substance to game plan for. They really need to spread out these division games 1 1st half, second in the second half.

Redsfaithful
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The problem is the injuries are starting to pile up. Just as Sanu started to fill a void, he goes down. Marvin Jones has a horrible game and now he's not practicing due to "illness".

Ced Peerman also fills a need out of the backfield and he went down last week. Now Nugent has a muscle pull of some sort so now they've reportedly signed another kicker.

Dre Kirkpatrick gets a few snaps under his belt and now he's out with a concussion.

This is all on top of losing Scott, Cook and a couple other starters before the year even began. You need good health for a borderline team to make the playoffs and we don't have that by any means

Gresham didn't practice today also.

Honestly though, for it being December, most teams have health issues this bad or worse. The Bengals have been healthier this year than they have most recent years.

Losing Sanu hurts tremendously though, he was really key to getting the offense rolling. They are back to not having anyone but AJ getting open.

BJGE needs to have a huge week this week. Philly's backup running back ran for like 170 yards against Dallas next week, there will be holes. And Dallas has a terrible offensive line which matches up perfectly with Cincinnati's defensive strength. I feel pretty good about Dallas, not because they are a bad team, but just because I think the Bengals match up well with them.

top6
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
The bottom line is the Bengals control their own destiny entirely--even if they lose to Dallas or Philly. If the Bengals beat EITHER Dallas or Philly, and then beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they make the playoffs.

However, if the Bengals beat Philly, Dallas and Pittsburgh, but lose to Baltimore, and Pittsburgh wins its other 3 games, then Pittsburgh would get the wild card spot over the Bengals (assuming Baltimore and Indy don't collapse, in which case there are ways both Pittsburgh and Cincy can make it).

All of these scenarios can be figured out here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Bengals actually have a not-all-that-improbable path to the division title. Baltimore plays the Giants, Denver and Washington. If they lose two of those games, and the Bengals win out, then the last game of the year is for the AFC North title. Of course, the changes of the Bengals beating Pittsburgh are pretty slim, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

New York Red
12-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Gresham didn't practice today also.

Honestly though, for it being December, most teams have health issues this bad or worse. The Bengals have been healthier this year than they have most recent years.

Losing Sanu hurts tremendously though, he was really key to getting the offense rolling. They are back to not having anyone but AJ getting open.

BJGE needs to have a huge week this week. Philly's backup running back ran for like 170 yards against Dallas next week, there will be holes. And Dallas has a terrible offensive line which matches up perfectly with Cincinnati's defensive strength. I feel pretty good about Dallas, not because they are a bad team, but just because I think the Bengals match up well with them.
Totally agree about the loss of Sanu. As soon as it looks like we've got a serious weapon opposite of AJ, boom, he's out for the season. Just like earlier when Bernard Scott came back. He breaks off a long run, just what we needed at the time, and boom, he's injured again and out for the season.

Redhook
12-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Which brings me to my last point, the NFL really needs to do away w/ these "play the same team twice in a 3 week stretch" I know the Ravens failed in their bid to sweep the steelers, but they got to play Pittsburgh twice in 3 games w/o toothlessraper. That's a huge leg up on the rest of the division (or should have been) that could have been avoided if they had played them once early in the season and once late in the season. If Houston wins this weekend, they'll have the 1 seed locked up prior to playing Indy twice in 3 weeks to end the season, which means Indy could get the same team twice w/ nothing to play for, and a possibility to play a 3rd time in the playoffs, so why show them anything of substance to game plan for. They really need to spread out these division games 1 1st half, second in the second half.

Very good point. I agree 100%.

Ohayou
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/34hgf9d.png

Stray
12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Weird situation going on with the Cowboys at the moment. Totally unconfirmed Twitter reports saying one of their players is in jail for manslaughter and one of their practice squad players is the victim.

The guy in jail is apparently Josh Brent. Some were saying that police showed up to the team plane before it could leave for Cincinnati. I have no idea what's going on.

Redhook
12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Weird situation going on with the Cowboys at the moment. Totally unconfirmed Twitter reports saying one of their players is in jail for manslaughter and one of their practice squad players is the victim.

The guy in jail is apparently Josh Brent. Some were saying that police showed up to the team plane before it could leave for Cincinnati. I have no idea what's going on.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-josh-brent-charged-intoxication-manslaughter-jerry-brown-dies-120812

Another sad story. That's too bad.

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Very good point. I agree 100%.

Like the NFL knew that was going to happen?

cincrazy
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Like the NFL knew that was going to happen?

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where it would happen. It makes no sense playing a rival twice in three weeks.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Leaving too many points on the field again.

Ohayou
12-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Wow...what an awful call. How else do you play that out?

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
The Bengals are dominating everywhere but the scoreboard. A nine-point leads feels like it should be 20+.

Ohayou
12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
LOL @ Livings just giving up.

Gizmo
12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
The Bengals are dominating everywhere but the scoreboard. A nine-point leads feels like it should be 20+.

That's the truth. Amazing how we get inside the 30 and just stall.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
That's the truth. Amazing how we get inside the 30 and just stall.

Drops haven't helped. Two big ones by A.J.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
And a silly penalty by A.J. Not his finest game. Here's to hoping he makes a big play to make up for it.

Gizmo
12-09-2012, 03:42 PM
And a silly penalty by A.J. Not his finest game. Here's to hoping he makes a big play to make up for it.

Here's to hoping we just run the clock out.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeesh. Catch the freakin' ball!

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Marvin playing not to lose drives me crazy! Especially with Pitts losing today.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Marvin playing not to lose drives me crazy! Especially with Pitts losing today.

Not sure I agree. They've thrown the ball almost too much here with the lead.

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Not sure I agree. They've thrown the ball almost too much here with the lead.

Yeah you may be right about the play calling, not sure why they went away from the LawFirm. need a couple of firsts here.

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Zimmer and his D need to come up big, perfect time for a turnover.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Cue up the pieces about an emotional Cowboys team overcoming a poor performance to win one for a fallen teammate...

medford
12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Marvin's lack of time out management is going to cost them a chance to win this game. 3-1, if Dallas gets this 1st down, all they have to do is run a couple of plays to get a little closer, then kick the field goal as time expires.

I hope I'm wrong.

medford
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Why is the law firm sitting on 12 carries. I've been listening to the game, unable to watch it. Unless they've stacked the line of scrimmage, he needed 20+ carries today.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Why is the law firm sitting on 12 carries. I've been listening to the game, unable to watch it. Unless they've stacked the line of scrimmage, he needed 20+ carries today.

That was the head-scratcher. He looked good today. Other than that, I'm not blaming the coaches for this one. This is all on players not making plays.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
If we lose it'll be because of all of the drops. Terrible game for Green, and Hawkins has had his share too.

RiverRat13
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
If we lose it'll be because of all of the drops. Terrible game for Green, and Hawkins has had his share too.

Dropped a few INTs on defense, too.

cincrazy
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Typical December loss under Marvin Lewis.

Stray
We still control our own destiny, but that's just a terrible game. The offense and the coaching didn't deliver.

medford
punch to the guy of bengals fans. You think I'd be used to this by now.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Dropped a few INTs on defense, too.

Yep. If we catch the ball we win by two touchdowns today.

I can't pile on Green because it's so unlike him, but he picked a terrible time to have his worst professional game.

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Tough one to lose, especially being up in the 4th at home. Have to play on a short week now against a bad Philly team.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
It's all gonna come down to week 16. Win that game and we get in.

MWM
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Losses like these is going to be what defines the Marvin Lewis era, unfortunately. It's pretty much exactly how Jim Tressel used to coach in games where he didn't have a sizeable talent gap over the opposing team. Some coaches just can never get out of their own way and escape their natural tendencies.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Losses like these is going to be what defines the Marvin Lewis era, unfortunately. It's pretty much exactly how Jim Tressel used to coach in games where he didn't have a sizeable talent gap over the opposing team. Some coaches just can never get out of their own way and escape their natural tendencies.

I have a hard time putting it on Marvin. Not getting the defensive personnel right is on Mike Zimmer. And Jay Gruden called an aggressive game.

The players were put in a lot of positions to win this game and couldn't do it.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Trying to figure out tie breaker scenarios with the Steelers here.

I think if we win 2 out of 3 including against them we're in, but it's all kinda confusing.

Also, the Cowboys can do us a solid next weekend at home. Thursday is a must win and then 10 days to prepare for one of the bigger games in franchise history.

traderumor
12-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Tough loss. Dallas offense shows up in the 4th quarter just enough to win.

Geesh guys, things happen in games, its what's keeps us coming back. Drops of passes, just miss interceptions, and only get FGs instead of TDs. Its just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. A good NFL game between two evenly matched teams. Glad I watched it and have a team to root for.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
What a GD joke of a franchise.

Exhibit A why they don't have back to back winning seasons in 30 years.

A team that's allergic to success

Redsfaithful
12-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Green-Ellis had two carries in the fourth quarter. I don't understand it. Sure they didn't execute what was called, but why not grind it out and run the clock down, try to have some long drives?

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
What a GD joke of a franchise.

Exhibit A why they don't have back to back winning seasons in 30 years.

A team that's allergic to success

overreaction much?

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 04:41 PM
overreaction much?

Not at all. I'm tired of the same tired ass performances year after year, week after week.

AJ laughing about dropping not 1, but 2 balls.

Dalton throwing everywhere BUT his receivers' hands in the 2nd half.

Just another Bengals December.

http://www.mikebrownsucks.com/images/fraidycat_header_01.gif

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Not at all. I'm tired of the same tired ass performances year after year, week after week.

Because AJ has a drop problem, right?

It's not hard to figure out the offense had a terrible day. We've won 4 out of the last 5 and are tied for a WC spot. You are overreacting.

Oxilon
12-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Bengal Decembers are still better than 90's Bungal Decembers.

Boston Red
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Bengal Decembers are still better than 90's Bungal Decembers.

Seems like in the '90s the Bengals were always great in December giving everyone hope that "next year" would be different. It wasn't.

traderumor
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM

http://www.mikebrownsucks.com/images/fraidycat_header_01.gifI thought it was a pretty good game. We couldn't convert a couple of good TD chances. I've been watching this stuff for 40 years. You just watched a normal NFL game. Sometimes you get the last second FG for the win, sometimes its the other guy. It really has NOTHING to do with franchise history. That stuff is jaded fan fodder.

Reds Freak
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Reminded me of the Houston game last year at home. Dominated the whole game, left way too many point on the board, rookie 3rd-stringer TJ Yates orchestrates a last-minute, game-winning drive.

Unbelievable.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
At the end of the day Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Bengals all lost so not much really changed. What sucks is we could have put some serious pressure on Baltimore with a win today.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
At the end of the day Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Bengals all lost so not much really changed. What sucks is we could have put some serious pressure on Baltimore with a win today.

At the end of the day, Baltimore and Pittsburgh have proven over time that they are capable of turning the switch back on, and winning games that mean something.

The Bengals haven't.

Just another in a long line of let-downs

traderumor
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
At the end of the day, Baltimore and Pittsburgh have proven over time that they are capable of turning the switch back on, and winning games that mean something.

The Bengals haven't.

Just another in a long line of let-downsSure its a letdown, a bummer of a loss, but the "same old Bungles" after every freakin' bad thing that happens to the Cincinnati Bengals football team is just intolerable anymore.

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
The loss stings but not as bad as losing to Cleveland and Miami. Bengals need pros that learn from these games, I think Green, Atkins, and Dalton are the types to take it to the next level and learn from this loss.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Sure its a letdown, a bummer of a loss, but the "same old Bungles" after every freakin' bad thing that happens to the Cincinnati Bengals football team is just intolerable anymore.

Then the team needs to fix it.

Because as soon as they actually play to win, and do something unlike the same old Bungles did, then they will turn the corner.

They are allergic to any type of success.

Stray
12-09-2012, 04:58 PM
If we were allergic to success would we be competing for our 3rd playoff appearance in 4 years? Seriously.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 04:58 PM
If we were allergic to success would we be competing for our 3rd playoff appearance in 4 years? Seriously.

What does a Wild Card participant get?

If you are happy being in the same exact GD spot the team has been since 2005, that's on you.

Redsfaithful
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Sure its a letdown, a bummer of a loss, but the "same old Bungles" after every freakin' bad thing that happens to the Cincinnati Bengals football team is just intolerable anymore.

You can't really blame fans for feeling that way until they actually have success in the playoffs.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
You can't really blame fans for feeling that way until they actually have success in the playoffs.

Bingo.

If we think the ceiling of the franchise is a first round playoff loss, then why even watch? They've already hit their ceiling.

But apparently we are to be happy with 9-7 seasons and first round playoff losses

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Because as soon as they actually play to win, and do something unlike the same old Bungles did, then they will turn the corner.

Young teams learning to win go through this type of thing, usually coaching can navigate you through ups and downs. I just don't think Marvin can get you any further than a WC. Not sure Zimmer or Gruden can get this team over the hump but I would like to give someone else a shot before another 4-5 yrs of wasting talent.

Stray
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
What does a Wild Card participant get?

If you are happy being in the same exact GD spot the team has been since 2005, that's on you.

If you think we're in the same spot then I have to question whether or not you even watch the games.

Wonderful Monds
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
If you think we're in the same spot then I have to question whether or not you even watch the games.

This is still a team that looked dead midseason, had an embarrassing loss to the Browns, just lost to a Cowboys team that kept shooting itself in the foot etc.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. It's not the Bungles anymore maybe, but they haven't proven anything else yet.

Wonderful Monds
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Young teams learning to win go through this type of thing, usually coaching can navigate you through ups and downs. I just don't think Marvin can get you any further than a WC. Not sure Zimmer or Gruden can get this team over the hump but I would like to give someone else a shot before another 4-5 yrs of wasting talent.

The timeout scenario today was inexcusable. Let the Cowboys play completely easy to end the game.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Ok, what has changed in the Franchise's history between 2005 and now?

Just 2 additional 1st round playoff losses, that's it

Stray
12-09-2012, 05:23 PM
This is still a team that looked dead midseason, had an embarrassing loss to the Browns, just lost to a Cowboys team that kept shooting itself in the foot etc.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. It's not the Bungles anymore maybe, but they haven't proven anything else yet.

I never said they've proven anything. I'm saying that if you're objective it's impossible to make a connection with the team we have now and the Bungle/jailbird teams.

The back to back streak is because we've never been able to compete with a playoff team's schedule. This year we are. We blew out the SB champs on our home field. Our two first draft selections last year made the PB and are now the face of our franchise. The defense has been amazing. I mean, the list goes on.

I don't know if we'll get in, but people hanging onto teams in the past aren't being fair to the guys we currently have. We're young and talented, a bad game isn't going to suddenly take me back to 15 years ago.

Stray
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Ok, what has changed in the Franchise's history between 2005 and now?

Just 2 additional 1st round playoff losses, that's it

You seem like the kind of fan that wants to talk yourself into being miserable, lets just agree to disagree and let it go.

KoryMac5
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Personally I like this team, lot of good young talent that I hope gets signed in the offseason to LTC. However ownership and coaching makes it hard to root for these guys somedays. Personally Marvin has taken this team about as far as it can go, I would be fine bumping Marvin to the FO next season and giving Jay or Zimmer a try. Bengals need a fresh voice as I am sure the team has started to tune Marvin out a bit. A ten yr run is a lot for any coach.

traderumor
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM

I don't find anything here that has anything to do with the results obtained by the 2012 Bengals, good or bad. Jeff Blake, Ickey Woods, Boomer Esiason, Takeo Spikes, Carl Pickens, Bruce Coslet...none of them has had one bit of impact on the 2012 Bengals. They lost a tough game today, just like NFL teams do every week of every season.

This whole history thing of prior season failures that fans get wrapped up in and then start throwing it out after losses, and using as reminders after wins, as in "don't worry, its the Bengals, they'll screw it up" well, quite frankly, is like eating dog poop in the back yard. No thanks for me. You have at it.

cincrazy
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I never said they've proven anything. I'm saying that if you're objective it's impossible to make a connection with the team we have now and the Bungle/jailbird teams.

The back to back streak is because we've never been able to compete with a playoff team's schedule. This year we are. We blew out the SB champs on our home field. Our two first draft selections last year made the PB and are now the face of our franchise. The defense has been amazing. I mean, the list goes on.

I don't know if we'll get in, but people hanging onto teams in the past aren't being fair to the guys we currently have. We're young and talented, a bad game isn't going to suddenly take me back to 15 years ago.

Yes, they beat the Giants. They also lost to a Cowboys team that had no interest in winning, the Dolphins, the Browns, and three of their four wins during this last streak came against SD, KC and Oakland, three of the most dysfunctional teams in the league.

This is a good group of guys. Not the low-character guys of the last few years. But until they show they can get over the 1st round hump and actually compete with the big boys, I have no reason to believe they can.

Redsfaithful
12-09-2012, 07:43 PM
SD blew out Pittsburgh today. There aren't many gimme games in the NFL.

Stray
12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes, they beat the Giants. They also lost to a Cowboys team that had no interest in winning, the Dolphins, the Browns, and three of their four wins during this last streak came against SD, KC and Oakland, three of the most dysfunctional teams in the league.

This is a good group of guys. Not the low-character guys of the last few years. But until they show they can get over the 1st round hump and actually compete with the big boys, I have no reason to believe they can.

How did the Cowboys have no interest in winning? Their players get paid too, and they're also in a playoff race.

I just don't understand the need for so many Bengals fans to be so bipolar about the team. We don't have to either be the Bungles or the Superbowl favorites. There's a lot of teams in the middle and that's where we're at, trying to get better.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm going to have to admit that I'm eating a huge plate of crow right now.

I was wrong about this team.

This is a pretty good football team with the potential to be great. Believe it or not, I finally came around today. Yes, they lost. I get it and it sucks - but they totally dominated the Cowboys everywhere. EVERYWHERE but the scoreboard.

I love the DLine. Honestly, they just need some consistency. It's a young team that could be 10-3 right about now. They win easily today if A.J. Green shows up and doesn't have the worst game of his young life. He was awful today.

Is it true they can go 2-1 (with a win over PIT) and get in? If so, I like their chances.

Of course, this is all assuming they beat Philly on Thursday. That could be tough and will really tell us something about his team, if they can come back from this one on short rest and do business. They just need to forget about today. Remove it from their memory.

Ironically, even though I was pulling for the 'Skins to beat Baltimore today, it was probably in the Bengals' best interest (after the Cowboy loss) that Baltimore win and lay down to us in week 17.

Oh well. Crow is still yummy.

Redsfaithful
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I think 2-1 and a win over Pittsburgh gets them in as long as the loss is to the Eagles, since that would be an NFC loss. Don't quote me on that, it all gets confusing at this point.

The Jets are back in the picture now also, but the Bengals control their own destiny. They win out and they are in.

Boss-Hog
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I think 2-1 and a win over Pittsburgh gets them in as long as the loss is to the Eagles, since that would be an NFC loss. Don't quote me on that, it all gets confusing at this point.

The Jets are back in the picture now also, but the Bengals control their own destiny. They win out and they are in.

Yes, I THINK if they only win two, it has to be against the Steelers and Ravens.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Yes, I THINK if they only win two, it has to be against the Steelers and Ravens.

Need Dallas to repay us for the gift we gave them today, by beating the Steelers next week (at Dallas).

If they can do that and the Bengals can do business and beat Philly on Thursday, then it will be just beat Pittsburgh and we are in.

Boss-Hog
12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Need Dallas to repay us for the gift we gave them today, by beating the Steelers next week (at Dallas).

If they can do that and the Bengals can do business and beat Philly on Thursday, then it will be just beat Pittsburgh and we are in.
That's true...my post made the assumption that Pittsburgh would beat the Cowboys and Browns. If they do, we'll be required to beat the Steelers and Ravens.

New York Red
12-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Made the trip to PBS today -- my first live game in two years. Way too many Cowboys fans there! Anyway, needless to say, I left angry. Plenty of drops on both sides of the ball, no doubt. But the game changed with about 10 minutes left in the 4th Quarter when we once again went into prevent defense mode way too early -- a Marvin Lewis trademark -- and allowed Dallas to dictate the rest of the game. I told my brother at the time, when we were still up 19-10, the final score would be 20-19. I've seen it too many times in the Marvin era.

What I want to know is, why did The Law Firm not get any carries in the 4th Quarter? He was killing the Cowboys, then when we needed to eat up clock and finish out the game, we stop going to him? And of course we enter the 4th Quarter with zero timeouts left -- another Marvin tradition. Our M.O. this year is play really well in the first half, then hope we can hang on in the second half, which means our opponents are making adjustments, but we aren't.

5TimeWSChamps
12-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Why be angry? Apparently we are supposed to accept this loss as nothing is wrong

RiverRat13
12-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Just ran it through one of those playoff generators... this week's game against the Eagles most likely won't mean anything. The Bengals have to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore to get in. They would own the tiebrakers over both Pittsburgh and the Jets if they all finish 9-7. The only way a Bengals win against the Eagles helps them is if the Colts (unlikely) or Ravens (small possibility) would lose out and then the Bengals would be the #5 seed (Colts lose out) or win the division (Ravens lose out).

Assembly Hall
12-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Just curious here. Is there a scenario that has the Bengals getting in the play-offs at 8-8?

RiverRat13
12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Just curious here. Is there a scenario that has the Bengals getting in the play-offs at 8-8?

Very unlikely. The Bengals one win would have to be at Pittsburgh, no exceptions. You'd also need Pittsburgh to lose to the Browns and the Jets to lose one more game. The Bengals would win the tiebraker with the Steelers only if they beat Pitt and the Steelers lose to the Browns. The Steelers would win the tiebraker with the Bengals at 8-8 if they lose to Dallas but beat the Browns as they would have a better divisional record.

The only way the Bengals can lose at Pittsburgh and still get in is to beat both Philly and Baltimore (Cincy at 9-7) and the Steelers lose at Dallas and home against Cleveland (Pitt at 8-8), and then you'd still need the Jets to lose one of their remaining three games (NYJ at 8-8).

BuckeyeRedleg
12-10-2012, 10:33 AM
The Bengals control their own destiny with wins over PIT and BAL. They do that and they are in.

However..........if Dallas beats Pittsburgh next week and the Bengals beat the Eagles, then all the Bengals need is a win over Pittsburgh.

The Eagles game is important, depending on what Dallas and Pittsburgh do. Dallas owes us big time for that gift yesterday.

RiverRat13
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
The Bengals control their own destiny with wins over PIT and BAL. They do that and they are in.

However..........if Dallas beats Pittsburgh next week and the Bengals beat the Eagles, then all the Bengals need is a win over Pittsburgh.

The Eagles game is important, depending on what Dallas and Pittsburgh do. Dallas owes us big time for that gift yesterday.

You'd still need the Jets to lose once if the Bengals lose to the Ravens. The Jets have three conference games left (@ Tenn, home San Diego, @ Buffalo) and if they win out, they'd have a 7-5 conference record. If the Bengals beat Pitt but lose to Baltimore, they'd have a 6-6 record.

bucksfan2
12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I place alot of the blame on Marvin. You CAN'T go into the 4th quarter of any football game without any time outs. Just awful use of TO's, something Marvin has never been good at.

Two calls really bothered me in the game. The first one was the face mask on Dunlap. He did get the face mask but the official should have blown the play dead a couple of seconds earlier. Romo was in the grasp and the ref blew the call. That hurt the Bengals because they would have gotten the ball back with over 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. As it ended up they got the ball with about 20-30 seconds deep in their own territory.

The second was the personal foul on Reggie Nelson for a picture perfect hit. If your going to teach a defensive back how to hit, you hit with the shoulder on the ball and try and separate the ball from the WR. There was nothing illegal about the hit but it gave the Cowboys 15 yards and a first. If your going to allow a ref's interpretation to potentially change the game you should allow the coaches the opportunity to challenge a personal foul flag.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
You'd still need the Jets to lose once if the Bengals lose to the Ravens. The Jets have three conference games left (@ Tenn, home San Diego, @ Buffalo) and if they win out, they'd have a 7-5 conference record. If the Bengals beat Pitt but lose to Baltimore, they'd have a 6-6 record.

Understood. The chances the Jets win out are unlikely.

Assembly Hall
12-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Very unlikely. The Bengals one win would have to be at Pittsburgh, no exceptions. You'd also need Pittsburgh to lose to the Browns and the Jets to lose one more game. The Bengals would win the tiebraker with the Steelers only if they beat Pitt and the Steelers lose to the Browns. The Steelers would win the tiebraker with the Bengals at 8-8 if they lose to Dallas but beat the Browns as they would have a better divisional record.

The only way the Bengals can lose at Pittsburgh and still get in is to beat both Philly and Baltimore (Cincy at 9-7) and the Steelers lose at Dallas and home against Cleveland (Pitt at 8-8), and then you'd still need the Jets to lose one of their remaining three games (NYJ at 8-8).

Thanks man. I was just curious....it does look like a lot of teams have the potential to go 8-8.

Ohayou
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
The Cowboys had nothing up front. NOTHING. I cannot for the life of me understand why we quit running the ball, especially when you have somebody as locked in as Green-Ellis in the backfield. Unless there was something physically wrong with him, that type of play calling is inexcusable. I don't care how bad the Cowboys secondary is playing, or that Claiborne isn't on the field - your passing game sucks right now. So why not go with the hot hands instead?

NJReds
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
The second was the personal foul on Reggie Nelson for a picture perfect hit. If your going to teach a defensive back how to hit, you hit with the shoulder on the ball and try and separate the ball from the WR. There was nothing illegal about the hit but it gave the Cowboys 15 yards and a first. If your going to allow a ref's interpretation to potentially change the game you should allow the coaches the opportunity to challenge a personal foul flag.

I'm a Cowboys fan, and I agree with you that was a horrible call. But that's the NFL, now. Shameful, really. Defenders can't play defense.

The refs also hurt the Cowboys when they blew the whistle on the kickoff return where Harris was in a pile, but never down. He was off and running again when the whistle blew. The play isn't reviewable since the whistle blew.

I was shocked that the Cowboys won this game. The Bengals could've run all day, but for some reason they went away from the running game.

RichRed
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I was shocked that the Cowboys won this game. The Bengals could've run all day, but for some reason they went away from the running game.

Did the Cowboys lend them Jason Garrett as play caller for this game? That's often his M.O.

traderumor
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan, and I agree with you that was a horrible call. But that's the NFL, now. Shameful, really. Defenders can't play defense.

The refs also hurt the Cowboys when they blew the whistle on the kickoff return where Harris was in a pile, but never down. He was off and running again when the whistle blew. The play isn't reviewable since the whistle blew.

I was shocked that the Cowboys won this game. The Bengals could've run all day, but for some reason they went away from the running game.His forward progress was clearly stopped.

NJReds
12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Did the Cowboys lend them Jason Garrett as play caller for this game? That's often his M.O.

I'm not crazy about Garrett's playcalling, but the Cowboys o-line is terrible and the running game often non-existent. Although it's better when Murray is healthy. The Bengals have a decent o-line and the Cowboys are extremely weak up the middle right now with two NTs down and two guys off the street playing middle linebacker. Plus, Green Ellis was averaging like 7 yards per carry, and the Bengals had the lead.

bucksfan2
12-11-2012, 08:34 AM
There was a point early in the 2nd quarter I believe that Brian Leonard was the RB for a series or more. It wasn't just 3 downs to spell BJGE rather about 10 plays. I thought BJGE was hurt at the time because Leonard isn't an answer at RB. BJGE eventually came back in but I wonder if he was hampered by something and that was why they didn't go to him more.

That said if AJ doesn't drop to balls in his hands its likely a 10+ point win for the Bengals. He dropped a sure TD and also dropped a 3rd down pass around the 30 yard line. Your talking about 7 points left on the field which would have made the Bengals 9 point lead a 16 point lead.

PickOff
12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
The Bengals still control their own destiny, but oddly enough, the Philly game doesn't matter that much if Pittsburgh and the Jets win out. The Bengals will still need to take both the Steelers and the Ravens to get it.

They can't beat the Eagles, Pittsburgh, and then lose to the Ravens. Not if the Steelers or the Jets both end up 9-7. The Bengals would be on the outside looking in then. Same thing if the Bengals lose to the Eagles. If they beat the Steelers and Ravens, they are in even if the Jets win out.

Stray
12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
I'd feel a whole lot better about things if we came out and had a nice comfortable win tonight. Something to get us rolling again into the last two games.

With 10 days Marvin, Zim and Gruden need to put together a winner vs. Pittsburgh.

New York Red
12-13-2012, 05:36 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how the Bengals start tonight, just four days after choking away the game against the Cowboys. They almost have to win out at this point, and definitely can't lose more than one.

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately I'm apparently not allowed to get upset about this BS.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

KoryMac5
Tonight's theme, How to watch a team self destruct in the 2nd quarter.

5TimeWSChamps
Tonight's theme, How to watch a team self destruct in the 2nd quarter.

Don't worry about it. It's not the same old Bengals. They are fine!

KoryMac5
12-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I always come back to the coaching with this team. I get that there young but at some point you can't keep making the same silly decisions. Team needs to grow up and hopefully over the next few quarters.

Roy Tucker
12-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Dalton is just off.

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Don't worry guys. All is fine

hebroncougar
12-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Brandon Tate continues to defy all logic as a return man. And they continue to run him out there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Brandon Tate continues to defy all logic as a return man. And they continue to run him out there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Not the same old Bengals though. All is well!

wolfboy
12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Don't worry guys. All is fine

We get it.

There, someone paid attention to you. :rolleyes:

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2012, 10:05 PM
We get it.

There, someone paid attention to you. :rolleyes:

Apparently I was too negative Sunday. Just an aberration :-)

Boss-Hog
12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Not the same old Bengals though. All is well!

This is trolling...knock it off.

5TimeWSChamps
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
This is trolling...knock it off.

So people are allowed to call me idiot, refute my negative points, yet when I repeat what I was told 4 days ago I'm trolling?

Nice

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm struggling here. What's the common theme since the 2nd half of the Cowboy game thru tonight?

The return of Kyle Cook?

Why is the OL getting burned so bad by this 4 man rush? Wacky.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
As I mentioned the other day, I was wrong about this team.

I was also wrong about BJE. He has been solid and is running like a beast.

Definite upgrade over Benson.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
At least to this point nice choke by Dalton tonight.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
And the O-Line.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
At least to this point nice choke by Dalton tonight.

Not playing great, but not getting a heckuva lot of help from his OL either.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I still want us to win of course but man what an ugly game.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Agree. 4-days rest though coming off a heartbreaker.

I'll take a W any way.

I DO expect a better showing against Pittsburgh with 10 days rest.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2012, 10:58 PM
We've scored 14 points since I started complaining :)

Roy Tucker
12-13-2012, 10:58 PM
defense coming up big.

Stray
12-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Been a while since I've worried about our offensive line. What a serious dud from those guys tonight.

Zim got his guys ready at least.

Stray
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Dalton has played really bad too.

Also, I can't remember a team just turning it over every time they touch it like Philly is now.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
One down. Two to go.

Wow. This team should be at least 10-4.

Roy Tucker
12-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Boy, did this game turn around. Eagles self-destruct.

Stray
12-13-2012, 11:30 PM
A win is a win, and this one somehow turned into a blowout.

Good deal.

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm struggling here. What's the common theme since the 2nd half of the Cowboy game thru tonight?

The return of Kyle Cook?

Guys not quite getting open is part of the problem. The Eagles have some stud linemen.

New York Red
12-14-2012, 12:23 AM
What a laughable game. This team has the talent to be 10-4, but the coaching to be 7-7.

Stray
12-14-2012, 12:35 AM
What a laughable game. This team has the talent to be 10-4, but the coaching to be 7-7.

I dunno if we're that talented. I think we're getting a lot out of guys who weren't supposed to be this good.

Brutus
12-14-2012, 12:36 AM

No one seemed to believe they had the talent to be 10-4 early in the season. In fact, pretty much all I saw here was doomsday prophecies about this team.

They very easily could be 10-4, but to be where they're at with a lot of holes on the roster seems fair.

Redsfaithful
12-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Unbelievable they went from 3-5 to 8-6. That is just so un-Bengal like.

I kept reminded myself during the game that you can't make any conclusions from a four day turnaround game on the road. I think it makes for a sloppy football game, and the Eagles emphasized that pretty well.

Things that do concern me though:

- I do not like rotating centers every two series. I'm guessing they'll keep doing it, but I don't think it is helping things.

- Losing Chris Pressley sucks so much. I hope they pick up a fullback and don't just use Brian Leonard or a tight end.

- Something is up with Clint Boling. Illness or injury or something. You don't go from being invisible all year because you're doing your job fine to this noticeable overnight without something going wrong I don't think.

- The Bengals have no receivers getting open other than Green right now, which isn't helping Andy Dalton. Sanu was the answer to that and they badly need someone else to step up now.

bucksfan2
12-14-2012, 08:51 AM
The Bengals won a sloppy game in convincing fashion. The defense gave up 13 points, 6 of them when the Eagles were handed the ball in FG range. What I find annoying is a lot of national pundits, Mike Mayock and Stink are blasting the Bengals for playing a poor game. My question to them is, how often are Thursday night games good games? Your body just starts to feel better. Players who would be held out of practice that day are forced to play. Its was a stupid idea by the NFL to market their network and make more money. When college teams play a Thursday night game they have at least one more day of rest and often the team has a bye the week before.

The Good:
The defense, AJ Green, BJGE
The Bad:
Andy Dalton, the OLine
The Ugly:
Ben Tate, the other WR's.

Stray
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
What I find annoying is a lot of national pundits, Mike Mayock and Stink are blasting the Bengals for playing a poor game.

Well the Colts sure didn't look like a playoff team when they got demolished by the Patriots, and when Pittsburgh was fumbling the ball all over the place against the Browns they weren't a playoff team either. If we are gonna take heat for a 21 point win during a short week on the road I'll gladly take it :thumbup:

Our biggest problem was protection. Dalton didn't play well, but we didn't do him any favors either. Our O-Line has been playing so well that I don't think it's a trend, just a bad game. Apparently Whit was sick? Andre Smith wasn't Andre Smith...heck even Zeitler was noticeably bad. I don't think it's a problem going forward, well I hope not.

Stray
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
One other observation. Does Gresham getting a holding penalty every game? It feels like it. I'd be curious to know how many he's had so far this year.

Tony Cloninger
12-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Well the Colts sure didn't look like a playoff team when they got demolished by the Patriots, and when Pittsburgh was fumbling the ball all over the place against the Browns they weren't a playoff team either. If we are gonna take heat for a 21 point win during a short week on the road I'll gladly take it :thumbup:

Our biggest problem was protection. Dalton didn't play well, but we didn't do him any favors either. Our O-Line has been playing so well that I don't think it's a trend, just a bad game. Apparently Whit was sick? Andre Smith wasn't Andre Smith...heck even Zeitler was noticeably bad. I don't think it's a problem going forward, well I hope not.

Messenger Centers? Who's Wicky Wacky idea was this? I mean I did not like messenger Guards when Paul Brown did it but he was Paul Brown. I mean how can you mess with the chemistry at the heart of the line basically, with Robinson was playing well to fit in someone who is not ready.

Tony Cloninger
12-14-2012, 09:30 AM
No one seemed to believe they had the talent to be 10-4 early in the season. In fact, pretty much all I saw here was doomsday prophecies about this team.

They very easily could be 10-4, but to be where they're at with a lot of holes on the roster seems fair.

I thought they would beat Miami and Cleveland (twice) but lose in SD and in Philly. Did not expect those 2 teams to have such bad years.

traderumor
12-14-2012, 09:42 AM
The Bengals won a sloppy game in convincing fashion. The defense gave up 13 points, 6 of them when the Eagles were handed the ball in FG range. What I find annoying is a lot of national pundits, Mike Mayock and Stink are blasting the Bengals for playing a poor game. My question to them is, how often are Thursday night games good games? Your body just starts to feel better. Players who would be held out of practice that day are forced to play. Its was a stupid idea by the NFL to market their network and make more money. When college teams play a Thursday night game they have at least one more day of rest and often the team has a bye the week before.

The Good:
The defense, AJ Green, BJGE
The Bad:
Andy Dalton, the OLine
The Ugly:
Ben Tate, the other WR's.Oh my goodness, Mayock was unbearable. His defense of his draft guru miss on Burfict--"no one drafted him, therefore my 'he's undraftable' was correct." Or, all the teams AND you were incorrect. He would have been a good draft pick and the team that picked him would have looked like geniuses if they had done so.

He made me miss Dan Dierdorf---well almost.

With that said, the last two games have shown that a smart betting man wouldn't bet on the NFL. The Bengals play decent against the Cowboys, lose on two 4th qtr drives. They stink up the joint for half the game last night, win by 21.

traderumor
12-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Our biggest problem was protection. Dalton didn't play well, but we didn't do him any favors either. Our O-Line has been playing so well that I don't think it's a trend, just a bad game. Apparently Whit was sick? Andre Smith wasn't Andre Smith...heck even Zeitler was noticeably bad. I don't think it's a problem going forward, well I hope not.The O-line performance, I'm guessing that the Eagles line either had a trick up their sleeve or it was just a bad matchup. It was too bad to be that the Oline suddenly stinks.

Ohayou
12-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Binns is with the Dolphins now? Why didn't anyone tell me? :(

RiverRat13
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
The Bengals have three extra days to get ready for a win-and-you're-in game against Pittsburgh. You couldn't ask for a better situation (other than playing at home) considering the circumstances. The biggest question is can someone else step-up at WR as the Steelers gave up just one catch for eight yards to A.J. Green in the first meeting.

Ohayou
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
The Bengals have three extra days to get ready for a win-and-you're-in game against Pittsburgh. You couldn't ask for a better situation (other than playing at home) considering the circumstances. The biggest question is can someone else step-up at WR as the Steelers gave up just one catch for eight yards to A.J. Green in the first meeting.

Kind of hard to believe that Green was the ONLY WR with a reception last night. Not having a healthy Sanu really sucks right now. Why not roll with 2 TEs?

Sea Ray
12-14-2012, 11:56 AM

The return of Kyle Cook?

This was my thought as well. I was imploring Marvin to switch them out as I watched this debacle. Apparently I'm not the only one who's thought about this

Sea Ray
12-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Well not exactly. If the Steelers lose to the Cowboys, then yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't put it past the Bengals to beat the Steelers and then lose their playoff berth by laying an egg to Baltimore

Boss-Hog
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Well not exactly. If the Steelers lose to the Cowboys, then yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't put it past the Bengals to beat the Steelers and then lose their playoff berth by laying an egg to Baltimore

The Jets would also have to lose a game, in addition to Dallas beating Pittsburgh, for the Bengals to get in with a win next week.

Sea Ray
12-14-2012, 03:25 PM
The Jets would also have to lose a game, in addition to Dallas beating Pittsburgh, for the Bengals to get in with a win next week.

Good point. I know the Jets have an easy schedule and all but I still don't see them running off 4 straight wins. The Arizona Cardinals are absolutely the worst team in the league right now and the Jets beat them by 1 pt. The Jags are marginally better. In other words, I'm not worried about the Jets. But technically you are 100% correct!

cincrazy
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
How did the Cowboys have no interest in winning? Their players get paid too, and they're also in a playoff race.

I just don't understand the need for so many Bengals fans to be so bipolar about the team. We don't have to either be the Bungles or the Superbowl favorites. There's a lot of teams in the middle and that's where we're at, trying to get better.

Sorry Stray, I wasn't very clear with my post. I didn't mean the Cowboys didn't want to win the game, only that they played so poorly they tried to practically give the game away. And yeah, Bengals fans are more skeptical than most probably. And with good reason. They've sucked most of my life. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

With that being said, this team has forced me to eat some crow. I was wrong about BJGE. I was wrong about Dalton. I still don't think they're much better than average, but it's much better than I gave them credit for being before the year.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I see Robinson at center and Cook at right guard for a drive or two?

Redsfaithful
12-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I see Robinson at center and Cook at right guard for a drive or two?

Reedy said that happened, yeah. Zeitler got banged up apparently.

On the oline, the Eagles do suck, but their defensive line is actually pretty good I think. So I don't know how much to worry, it will be interesting to see where the Steelers are tomorrow. Their game against San Diego was shocking to me, the kind of game they usually win going away this late in the year. It's possible the Steelers just aren't that great this year, they are getting older.

Sea Ray
12-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Yes, that was at the end when the Bengals were running out the clock with a 3 TD lead. I don't know if it was due to injury. I just assumed it was our B team in an effort to avoid injury

Roy Tucker
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Whitworth was out with a concussion too so there was some shifting around of the OL going on.

cincrazy
12-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Is Binns really in Miami now? Can anyone explain the details behind that?

Wonderful Monds
12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Is Binns really in Miami now? Can anyone explain the details behind that?

He was waived and Miami took him.

Stray
12-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Lets go Cowboys!