PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Reds Fanatic
12-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Is Binns really in Miami now? Can anyone explain the details behind that?

The Bengals waived him when they needed a spot for the extra kicker to take Nugent's place. They hoped it would be a temporary move and Binns would go to the practice squad and be re-instated to the roster when they no longer needed two kickers but Miami claimed him off waivers.

Stray
12-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh boy things are interesting now.

We can clinch a playoff spot with a win next week, I think?
We could be playing for the division in week 17.
All of a sudden neither Pittsburgh or Baltimore look that scary. Pitt's secondary are down to the backups for the backup's backups.

What a crazy couple of weeks we're in for.

KoryMac5
12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Next two games will say a lot about Andy Dalton.

PickOff
12-16-2012, 07:59 PM

We can clinch a playoff spot with a win next week, I think?.

If the Jets win out and Bengals lose to Ravens, then no playoffs for the Bengals even if they beat Pittsburgh.

Tony Cloninger
12-16-2012, 08:06 PM

All of a sudden neither Pittsburgh or Baltimore look that scary. Pitt's secondary are down to the backups for the backup's backups.

That awful excuse for a team in the Jets has to lose 1 of these games to help out...... but it would be sweet for them to beat PITT and BAL back to back...considering how hard it has been for them to do so since dalton got here.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Beat Pitt and Baltimore and possibly win division.

Wow.

Baltimore is a trainwreck right now.

KoryMac5
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Jets have SD and Buffalo, Bengals have Pitt and Baltimore. If I am Rex Ryan I like my chances. Bengals need to turn potential into fulfilled promise.

Brutus
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Jets have SD and Buffalo, Bengals have Pitt and Baltimore. If I am Rex Ryan I like my chances. Bengals need to turn potential into fulfilled promise.

Jets still have Tennessee too. While none of those three teams have a winning record, you're still talking about a 1-in-5 chance of winning all three, based on a 60% chance of winning any of the three games. And if you add in the Bengals would have to lose to the Ravens, that's close to a 1-in-10 chance.

If I'm Marvin Lewis, I love those odds.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-16-2012, 08:23 PM

The Jets still have to play at Tennessee tomorrow night.

In my opinion, they are a non-factor.

Reds Freak
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM

I'd almost consider it an advantage for the Bengals that this game is in Pittsburgh. They are 5-2 on the road and 3-4 at home. They seem to get too amped up for big games at home and seem more focused on the road.

bucksfan2
12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
The Jets still have to play at Tennessee tomorrow night.

In my opinion, they are a non-factor.

The Jets are not a good football team but man did they get helped out by the schedule makers. While the Bengals end the season playing the Steelers and Ravens the Jets last 7 games have been @Rams, Patriots, Cardinals, @Jacksonville, @Titans, SD, and @Buffalo. IMO the only reason they are still in the conversation is schedule.

Stray
12-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Not sure if anyone watched that abomination tonight, but the Jets are officially eliminated. It was maybe the worst football game ever played.

So yeah, we win next weekend and we're in.

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Not sure if anyone watched that abomination tonight, but the Jets are officially eliminated. It was maybe the worst football game ever played.

So yeah, we win next weekend and we're in.

The last two plays of the game, non knees, a 20 yard punt from your own endzone. The a fumbled snap. Hilarious.

Reds Freak
12-18-2012, 07:06 AM
As Cincinnati sports fans, I think we all have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen in Pittsburgh Sunday...

texasdave
12-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Titans help out the Bengals on Monday night by beating the J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! Bengals have nobody to blame but themselves now if they don't get it done.

KoryMac5
12-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Dalton and Green are 0 for Pittsbugh. They need to start a new streak Sunday.

Sea Ray
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Titans help out the Bengals on Monday night by beating the J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! Bengals have nobody to blame but themselves now if they don't get it done.

The football Gods were sure good to the Bengals this week

mdccclxix
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Bengals need to keep their eye on the prize. Close this regular season out. Step up, Bengals.

Tony Cloninger
12-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Those Miami and Dallas losses.....man do they hurt bad right now.

forfreelin04
12-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Would the Bengals beating the Steelers on Sunday somehow ease the pain of the Reds collapse?

For me, it would heal the wound till Pitchers/Catchers Report....

medford
12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
4 days ago, coming off a double digit road victory, on a short week of practice, all you read about is how terrible the Bengals looked and how un-playoff worthy they looked. This morning, the Bengals have a chance with 1 victory this weekend to cement their spot in the playoffs and perhaps a shot at winning the division and a home game while Pittsburgh, New England, Baltimore, the Jets, Giants, Bears, etc... all looked just as terrible during stretches or even over the coarse of a full game while fighting for a playoff spot themselves.

Interesting.

Sea Ray
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
4 days ago, coming off a double digit road victory, on a short week of practice, all you read about is how terrible the Bengals looked and how un-playoff worthy they looked. This morning, the Bengals have a chance with 1 victory this weekend to cement their spot in the playoffs and perhaps a shot at winning the division and a home game while Pittsburgh, New England, Baltimore, the Jets, Giants, Bears, etc... all looked just as terrible during stretches or even over the coarse of a full game while fighting for a playoff spot themselves.

Interesting.

Interesting indeed. The Bengals were once 3-5; the Ravens once 9-2; and now our Bengals have a decent shot at taking the division. I sure didn't see this comin'. After the first game I figured the finale vs Balt would be meaningless to them for sure

bucksfan2
12-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Interesting.

It was why I was a little surprised to see the analysis bash the Bengals after their win. They didn't look good but they won the game handily. Heck I would rather have them look like crap and win than dominate a game and lose (Dallas). Its the NFL, its hard enough to beat an NFL team on regular rest on the road, let alone on a short week.

PickOff
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
If the Bengals win their next two they will face the Ravens either at home if Ravens lose to Giants or at Baltimore. That would be much better than Patriots away.

Ohayou
12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
If the Bengals win their next two they will face the Ravens either at home if Ravens lose to Giants or at Baltimore. That would be much better than Patriots away.

Unless the Colts lose their next two games, we would be playing them at home and the Ravens would play the Patriots.

medford
12-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm assuming the Colts knock off KC, and possibly Houston depending on how Houston plays the game (ie resting guys if they've locked up the top spot) I'll also assume New England wins either @ jacksonville or at home vs Miami (and likely both unless perhaps they're resting everyone in the last game and Miami doesn't cash it in on a potentially cold day in foxboro)

If the Bengals were to win the division, and assuming the above, that would give the Bengals the 4 seed, which means they'd play Indy at home w/ Indy as the 5 seed, with Baltimore playing at New England (I'm assuming Denver knocks off both Cleveland and KC at home and holds onto the 2 seed)

5TimeWSChamps
12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks like no Ike Taylor Sunday

PickOff
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
It is also interesting to note that the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers could all still make the playoffs at 9-7 each if the colts lose their next two. I am not sure of all the permutations here but this could happen if Tennessee loses their next two. This would be the unlikely scenario of the Bengals losing to the Steelers, the Steelers beating the Browns, and the Bengals still making the playoffs.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

PickOff
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Unless the Colts lose their next two games, we would be playing them at home and the Ravens would play the Patriots.

That might be possible, but the scenarios I see show the Ravens as the fifth seed and colts as the sixth if the colts lose both. Which means the bengals play the colts.

5TimeWSChamps
12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
It is also interesting to note that the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers could all still make the playoffs at 9-7 each if the colts lose their next two. I am not sure of all the permutations here but this could happen if Tennessee loses their next two. This would be the unlikely scenario of the Bengals losing to the Steelers, the Steelers beating the Browns, and the Bengals still making the playoffs.

Yeah, I did some research on it, and predicted the final records of the teams in regards to the Common Games/Strength of Victory Tiebreakers:

Trying to figure out what happens if the Colts lose out, Steelers win out, and the Bengals beat the Ravens Week 17.

All three teams would be 6-6 in the Conference.

Steelers would get in based on H2H sweep over Cincinnati.

I THINK that it would come down to Common Games between Cincinnati/Indianapolis:

Common teams:
Jaguars (Bengals 1-0, Colts 1-1)
Browns (Bengals 1-1, Colts 1-0)
Dolphins (Bengals 0-1, Colts 1-0)
Chiefs (Bengals 1-0, Colts 0-1)

Both teams would be 3-2 in Common Games.

Next tiebreaker is Strength of Victory

Bengals Wins: (With my projected final standings)Browns: 5-11 (Loss W16 DEN Loss W17 PIT)
Redskins: 10-6 (Win W16 PHI Win W17 DAL)
Jaguars: 2-14 (Loss W16 NE Loss W17 TEN)
Giants: 10-6 (Win W16 BAL Win W17 PHI)
Chiefs: 3-13 (Win W16 IND (Needed for this TB) Loss W17 DEN)
Raiders: 4-12 (Loss W16 CAR Loss W17 SD)
Chargers: 7-9 (Win W16 NYJ Win W17 OAK)
Eagles: 4-12 (Loss W16 WAS Loss W17 NYG)
Ravens: 9-7 (Loss W16 NYG Loss W17 CIN)
Projected Record of Wins:
54-90

Colts Wins:
Vikings: 9-7 (Loss W16 HOU Win W17 GB)
Packers: 11-5 (Win W16 TEN Loss W17 MIN)
Browns: 5-11 (Loss W16 DEN Loss W17 PIT)
Titans: 6-10 (Loss W16 GB Win W17 JAX)
Dolphins: 7-9 (Win W16 BUF Loss W17 NE)
Jaguars: 2-14 (Loss W16 NE Loss W17 TEN)
Bills: 5-11 (Loss W16 MIA Loss W17 NYJ)
Lions: 4-12 (Loss W16 ATL Loss W17 CHI)
Titans: 6-10 (Loss W16 GB Win W17 JAX)
Projected Record of Wins:
55-89

Ohayou
12-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Again, that's not possible either. If all three finished 9-7, only the Steelers/Ravens would make it in.

5TimeWSChamps
12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Again, that's not possible either. If all three finished 9-7, only the Steelers/Ravens would make it in.

It comes down to Strength of Victory, as outlined above. Both the Colts/Bengals would be 6-6 in Conference and 3-2 in Common Games.

Wonderful Monds
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
As Cincinnati sports fans, I think we all have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen in Pittsburgh Sunday...

http://youtu.be/g8nnuMZO_0M

WMR
12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
I really hope we don't have to watch the Bengals get pimp slapped by the Stealers again with the playoffs on the line.

PickOff
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM

If it wasn't possible, then the Colts would have clinched a playoff spot already. They haven't. See 5TimeWS post, and you can also check out ESPN NFl Playoff Machine, and here for a summary of why Colts haven't clinched http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/18/colts-bengals-redskins-seahawks-giants-can-clinch-sunday/

5TimeWSChamps
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
In fact, if all 3 teams in the North finished 9-7, the Steelers would win the Division I believe.

Bengals fans need to root for Oakland this weekend. One good thing about Baltimore winning this week, is it could jump the Bengals over the Colts Strength of Victory

PickOff
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
In fact, if all 3 teams in the North finished 9-7, the Steelers would win the Division I believe.

Bengals fans need to root for Oakland this weekend. One good thing about Baltimore winning this week, is it could jump the Bengals over the Colts Strength of Victory

True, but it probably won't matter anyway. The odds of KC beating the Colts, even at home, are not very good.

5TimeWSChamps
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
True, but it probably won't matter anyway. The odds of KC beating the Colts, even at home, are not very good.

You would think, but this Colts team is incredibly unimpressive.

It's no gimme they win either of these games.

Stray
12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Eventually Dalton and co. gotta get over the hump and beat Pittsburgh/Baltimore. May as well do it today.

5TimeWSChamps
12-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Eventually Dalton and co. gotta get over the hump and beat Pittsburgh/Baltimore. May as well do it today.

Yep. This is the biggest game since 2005?

forfreelin04
12-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Yep. This is the biggest game since 2005?

To quote the great Omar from the Wire "Oh, indeed!"

A big part of me knows they'll probably get crushed, but the kid in me is excited over the possibility of an improbable win. :beerme:

WMR
12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Good lord I despise boneheaded football. Running into the freaking kicker............. Holding on punt returns when you don't need to....... derp

The Operator
12-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Ben-Jarvus not having his best game so far.

OldRightHander
12-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Dalton is making some nice throws today. Still, the offense needs to get going.

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Both defenses playing well. We gotta cut out the mistakes and tackle a little better, but 10-0 not too bad.

Huge possession here because good teams find a way to score before the half.

Welp so much for that lol. 10-7

Hoosier Red
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
As someone who has followed IU and Bengals football for 20 and 30 years respectively, there are certain rules that must be observed. Foremost among them, never, ever, under any circumstance, anticipate a result in the Bengals favor until the time on the clock is at zero and everyone has left the field. And even then, it's probably 50/50.

Stray, you just broke rule number 1 in a big way. I'm surprised you weren't punished with a block punt and/or crippling injury for your disobedience.

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Lucky to be leading. Lebeau has made Jay Gruden look a little silly in their previous meetings, today not as bad, but Jay is still calling a predictable game. Pittsburgh knows what's coming. Gotta do something to throw them off in the 2nd half.

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
As someone who has followed IU and Bengals football for 20 and 30 years respectively, there are certain rules that must be observed. Foremost among them, never, ever, under any circumstance, anticipate a result in the Bengals favor until the time on the clock is at zero and everyone has left the field. And even then, it's probably 50/50.

Stray, you just broke rule number 1 in a big way. I'm surprised you weren't punished with a block punt and/or crippling injury for your disobedience.

Lol yea I knew as soon as I typed that the Steelers would score.

Hoosier Red
12-23-2012, 02:30 PM
One of the most vivid memories of being a Bengals fan I have was hustling back to the car to hear the end of a Bengals- Ravens game(I want to say this was 2004) but the Bengals had made a huge come back and Graham hit a field goal as time expired.

The reason it was so vivid in my mind is that Brad Johansen on the radio call emphasized the clock shows Zero-Zero-Zero as if to say, "Don't worry, there's no way they can actually lose this now."

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:36 PM
And if we can't run the ball we need to throw more screens. We won't win if we have to drop back every time to try and move the ball.

RiverRat13
12-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Andy Dalton is just not very good.

RiverRat13
12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Few things would make me happier than my last post being thrown back in my face 90 minutes from now...

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Andy Dalton is just not very good.

Against the Steelers he's terrible. Against the rest of the league he's alright.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Jermaine Gresham just made a ridiculous catch.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 02:57 PM
...And they follow it up with intentional grounding and illegal touching.

Boy.

WMR
12-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Amazing the Bengals can go from looking like a pretty good team to the Bad News Bears from play to play...

Stray
12-23-2012, 02:59 PM
wth was Marvin thinking there?

RiverRat13
Amazing the Bengals can go from looking like a pretty good team to the Bad News Bears from play to play...

I don't know what has happened to the offensive line down the stretch.

The Operator
wtf was Marvin thinking there?He wasn't.

Stray
I don't know what has happened to the offensive line down the stretch.

The only thing that has changed is Kyle Cook.

WMR
12-23-2012, 03:01 PM
4 and 22 going for it.......................:facepalm:

WMR
12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
This game is going perfect to script and I think we all know how this story ends....

hope I'm wrong.

Stray
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
If you don't have faith in a 50+ yard field goal you gotta punt.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 03:04 PM
This game is going perfect to script and I think we all know how this story ends....

hope I'm wrong.We know this story...

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/profile01/136/985df10b38484f8890fbda85a9e82358/p.jpg

Stray
12-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I thought Dalton showed some good signs on that drive though. A lot of well thrown passes.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Who are these announcers?

The man-love for all things Pittsburgh is a bit nauseating.

texasdave
12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Is it possible that Marvin lost track of the downs there because of the intentional grounding? 4th and 22? Seriously? The Bengals have a 4th and 22 play in field goal range in the third quarter with the lead?

OldRightHander
12-23-2012, 03:16 PM
The defense needs to make a big play, because the offense is almost non existent.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Only the Bengals could do what just happened. Wow.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Is it me or does Green seem a little off lately?

WMR
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
LOL He kicks when he should punt and he goes for it when he should kick.

BuckeyeRedleg
Marvin Lewis is an idiot.

Stray
Oh Marvin

The Operator
12-23-2012, 03:57 PM
So we'll try a 56-yard FG with the game on the line in the 4th quarter, but not in the 3rd quarter on 4th and 22?

Ooooookay.

WMR
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Please put Zimmer in charge for the love of God. I GUARANTEE you he would be a better HC than Marvin.

Reds Fanatic
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
That field goal try just makes me sick. This team will never win a big game with Marvin making the decisions

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I mean the defense was playing well so if it were 52 or 53 I would be on board with it. It's actually not as bad of a call as the 4th and 22 lol. But yeah, from 56 in this kinda game you have to let Huber pin them back.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
The drive that determined the fate of their whole season was the last drive. They get some momentum on some short passes and then run BGE and predictably waste a play on 1st. then of course throw one up for grabs to the lethargic A.J. Green who it seems as gone a very long time since he's made a big catch.

Honestly, the going for it on 4th and 22 is not justifiable. It's insane. Not punting on the last drive and backing them up for field position is just as stupid and a rationale person cannot or should not ever try to understand this franchise or it's seemingly untouchable coach.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:04 PM
This is as dumb of a call by the Steelers if it's not a pooch punt.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Desperate coaches trying to get a lucky kick. Neither offense has shown the ability to put a drive together. So in a way I get it, but I still think both sides were wrong.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Pick up 9 yards on first down and can't move the chains. 3 and out.

We deserve to lose this.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Another wasted drive running BGE.

Then ANOTHER bomb on 3rd down.

They are doing fine with the short passes out of the shotgun.

The Operator
12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Delay of game defensive penalty. LOL

The Operator
12-23-2012, 04:11 PM
WHEW. Reggie Nelson!

OldRightHander
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Got a chance here.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna have a heart attack lol

The Operator
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

The Operator
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
They're good again!!!

texasdave
12-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Sweeet!!!

Stray
That was a clutch throw and catch by Dalton and Green. Oh man

Reds Fanatic
Wow!!! What a clutch kick after the big pass to Green

texasdave
Marvin Lewis is a genius!!

WMR
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Marvin Lewis is a genius!!

No, just lucky today.

He will cost us a win in the playoffs if he gets a chance.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
What Mike Zimmer has done with our defense is really freaking impressive.

texasdave
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
No, just lucky today.

He will cost us a win in the playoffs if he gets a chance.

I was saying that a little tongue-in-cheek. But for this team to go from 3-5 to 9-6, Marvin has to get some credit.

BuckeyeRedleg
SWEET!

Thank you DEFENSE!

Stray
Even with 4 seconds left I still had my doubts. Oh what this franchise has done to us.

Back to back playoff appearances...wooohoo!

Yachtzee
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Love it that they get clinch in Pittsburgh with a win over the Steelers.

New York Red
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
WOOOOOOOOO!! WHO DEY!! :jump:

reds1869
12-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Who Dey! He's struggled some this year, but that throw by Dalton was clutch. A.J. was, well, A.J. Huge win.

Ohayou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwOJYBYwOhA

WMR
In-game decisions should really be taken out of Marvin's hands. He's a pretty decent coach aside from that huge blackhole.

New York Red
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Even with 4 seconds left I still had my doubts.
LOL ... me too! :beerme:

HeatherC1212
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Oh yes!!! I like this a lot. Who Dey!! :beerme:

KoryMac5
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Time to pony up some money for Atkins! Best Defensive Tackle in the league. Zimmer really took this defense a long way since the first few weeks. Nice to get into the playoffs once again however our first opponent will be very tough to beat.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Time to pony up some money for Atkins! Best Defensive Tackle in the league. Zimmer really took this defense a long way since the first few weeks. Nice to get into the playoffs once again however our first opponent will be very tough to beat.

There's a chance we could be hosting Indianapolis.

I think.

Stray
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I'll say one thing. The old Bengals don't win this game. We had turnovers that were bailed out by our defense, coaching mistakes that were bailed out, big stops on 3rd down and a clutch play with the season on the line.

Chip R
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM

It's a Festivus Miracle!

traderumor
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
The 56 yard FG decision is definitely a top 10 in the "Marvin's dumb ass coaching decisions" Hall of Shame. On my list, tops anything he's done in his tenure. Then Tomlin makes basically the same call. You punt and rely on your D to get you to OT. They had to make those decisions on emotions, because I certainly can't imagine they got this far being that stupid!

Thank you for the early Christmas present, Big Ben. :beerme:

Ohayou
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97340&page=24

Post #353. For all of you doubters below, enjoy your Christmas dinner:

http://www.vinceposcente.com/Portals/127861/images/eat%20crow.jpg

cincrazy
12-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Marvin just had one of the worst single-game coaching performances I've ever seen. Yet the players still pulled it out. Unbelievable. Marvin was a bigger obstacle to overcome than the Steelers.

A win is a win :). They did what I didn't think was possible.

Tony Cloninger
12-23-2012, 05:16 PM
There's a chance we could be hosting Indianapolis.

I think.

Unless they win the division.....the Bengals are either going to Denver, NE or Baltimore.

traderumor
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Marvin just had one of the worst single-game coaching performances I've ever seen. Yet the players still pulled it out. Unbelievable. Marvin was a bigger obstacle to overcome than the Steelers.

A win is a win :). They did what I didn't think was possible.Tomlin and Marvin were dueling, their game decision brilliance on display in all its glory.

KoryMac5
12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Per Reedy Marvin thanked the team in the locker room for bailing him out. Sometimes desperation makes people do dumb things which I think is what happened to both Tomlin and Lewis today. Glad he didn't deny he was awful today.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 05:26 PM
The 56 yard FG attempt was stupid, but what possible explanation could Marvin have for going for it on 4th and 22?

You either attempt the 51-yard FG or try to punt it inside the 20.

The only possible explanation is that Marvin (and the entire Off coaching staff) thought it was 3rd down.

Funny thing is it almost worked as Green was within a millimeter of being in-bounds on that catch. Still, it made zero sense.

KoryMac5
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97340&page=24

Post #353. For all of you doubters below, enjoy your Christmas dinner:

http://www.vinceposcente.com/Portals/127861/images/eat%20crow.jpg

I am glad the Bengals pulled it together to get into the playoffs, however after some pretty bad losses to Cleveland and Miami I could see how some folks were pretty down about their chances going forward. I think getting the D on track was absolutely the key to this team turning it around. Kudos to Zimmer for a great job stabilizing a ship that was about to overturn.

KoryMac5
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
The 56 yard FG attempt was stupid, but what possible explanation could Marvin have for going for it on 4th and 22?

The only possible explanation is that Marvin (and the entire Off coaching staff) thought it was 3rd down.

Funny thing is it almost worked as Green was within a millimeter of being in-bounds on that catch. Still, it made zero sense.

With so many coaches on the staff that would be tough to believe however if it comes out he thought it was third down he should be fired on the spot.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
With so many coaches on the staff that would be tough to believe however if it comes out he thought it was third down he should be fired on the spot.

Agree and yet the decision to go for it may have been even worse.

Stray
12-23-2012, 05:46 PM

At the time of the 4th and 22 I just assumed Marvin had no faith in a FG over 50 yards at Heinz, which would be totally understandable since long field goals aren't made there. On the 35 I just figured he was okay with Pitt getting the ball there and not risking a net 15 yard punt...so go ahead and throw it down field and if it's intercepted who cares. Worst case scenario they get the ball at the 35, a missed FG would give them a little better field position.

But then that makes the 56 yard call even more bizarre. I don't think he'd change his first decision, the 56 yard decision was the dumb one imo. Tomlin's decision to go for a 54 yarder was equally bad tho.

Roy Tucker
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
There has to be some kind of mistake. The Bengals don't win those kinds of games.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
At the time of the 4th and 22 I just assumed Marvin had no faith in a FG over 50 yards at Heinz, which would be totally understandable since long field goals aren't made there. On the 35 I just figured he was okay with Pitt getting the ball there and not risking a net 15 yard punt...so go ahead and throw it down field and if it's intercepted who cares. Worst case scenario they get the ball at the 35, a missed FG would give them a little better field position.

I don't know. The odds are much better you pin them inside the 20 (fair catch at the 10, maybe even a good bounce inside the 5) then converting a 4th and 22.

As you said, worst case the punt is a touchback and it 's a 15 yard net, but at least you'd still have Pittsburgh backed up in a low scoring/field position type of game. Not getting it on 4th and 22 you give Pittsburgh pretty decent field position.

Stray
12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't know. The odds are much better you pin them inside the 20 (fair catch at the 10, maybe even a good bounce inside the 5) then converting a 4th and 22.

As you said, worst case the punt is a touchback and it 's a 15 yard net, but at least you'd still have Pittsburgh backed up in a low scoring/field position type of game. Not getting it on 4th and 22 you give Pittsburgh pretty decent field position.

Oh I agree that you should punt there, just trying to think along with Marvin lol. The way the defenses were playing I think both coaches knew something crazy was going to win the game.

PickOff
12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Well, Bengals are locked into the 6th seed even if Colts lose as far as I can tell. That means the Bengals either face Denver, Houston, or New England depending on the results of next week's games.

All of them are flawed, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Houston.

Matt700wlw
12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Mike Zimmer deserves NFL's Coach of the Year

Danny Serafini
12-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, Bengals are locked into the 6th seed even if Colts lose as far as I can tell. That means the Bengals either face Denver, Houston, or New England depending on the results of next week's games.

All of them are flawed, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Houston.

There's an outside chance Baltimore could jump to 3 and play the Bengals back-to-back weeks. With the Bengals having nothing to play for next week, I'd imagine they'll run as vanilla a scheme as possible to avoid showing the Ravens anything interesting just in case they play again right away, plus give plenty of rest to the starters.

GAC
12-24-2012, 04:46 AM
All I can say is "God Bless the Cincinnati Bengals for ending the Squealers season, AND DOING SO IN PITTSBURGH!"

I loved watching the empty expressions on the Steeler sideline as the game became final.

Can't wait to get to work this morning and really give it to a buddy of mine who is one of the biggest, arrogant, loud-mouths, when it comes to the Steelers. He comes to work every day and mocks Bengal and Brown fans (and also Red fans).... so he deserves it!

"revenge is a dish best served cold" LOL

Dan
12-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok, folks...things to love about Marvin Lewis:

He's a fantastic evaluator of talent
He gets a great deal out of that talent
He puts together a solid game plan
He motivates his team to win

Now, if they could just lock him up in a windowless room with no communication devices for the three hours or so from the start of the game to the end of the game, he'd be perfect. His in-game decisions are just...just...mind blowing. It's like he's trying to out-clever himself or something.

Ohayou
12-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Hey, don't forget the 3rd and 1 Hail Mary.

Assembly Hall
12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
There's an outside chance Baltimore could jump to 3 and play the Bengals back-to-back weeks. With the Bengals having nothing to play for next week, I'd imagine they'll run as vanilla a scheme as possible to avoid showing the Ravens anything interesting just in case they play again right away, plus give plenty of rest to the starters.

You are right. I think if the Pats lose and Ravens win, Baltimore gets the 3 seed.

traderumor
12-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey, don't forget the 3rd and 1 Hail Mary.That's on Gruden or Dalton.

Stray
12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey, don't forget the 3rd and 1 Hail Mary.

I actually liked that call, Green was open and Dalton missed him. I had no faith in our running game picking up that 1 yard.

RiverRat13
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Is it just me or is the defense always better when Pat Sims is healthy?

traderumor
12-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I actually liked that call, Green was open and Dalton missed him. I had no faith in our running game picking up that 1 yard.Go ahead and pass for it, just a higher percentage selection. A slant, a quick out, a QB draw for that matter. The most frustrating part of it for me is that they get the first down there and they were one first down away from FG range. Such a low percentage pass on 3rd and 1 was not a very smart call.

Hoosier Red
12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Is it just me or is the defense always better when Pat Sims is healthy?

Yep. I don't know if it's him specifically being better than the two starting DT's. But a healthy Sims is such an improvement over the other reserve DT's that there's a direct impact of playing over them and an indirect impact in the coaches being more willing to rotate Peko and Atkins which helps keep them fresher.

KoryMac5
12-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Team is loaded with young talent and built for a run. Unfortunately it's a team that is going to get expensive quick, part of me is glad they haven't been big players in FA another part is worried Mike Brown will balk at paying out contracts. Johnson, Rey, and Andre Smith are free agents after the season, with Dunlap, Atkins, Green and Dalton on the horizon. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming months for extensions.

New York Red
12-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Mike Zimmer deserves NFL's Coach of the Year
We might be losing him soon. He's getting lots of love from the national media lately.

Brutus
12-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Bengals have claimed Dane Sanzenbacher off waivers from the Bears and placed Dre Kirkpatrick on IR.

According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Bengals have claimed wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher off waivers from the Chicago Bears and placed cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick on injured reserve.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/25/bengals-claim-dane-sanzenbacher-off-waivers/

Ohayou
12-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Latest Super Bowl odds from Vegas:

Denver Broncos 3/1
New England Patriots 7/2
San Francisco 49ers 5/1
Atlanta Falcons 6/1
Seattle Seahawks 6/1
Houston Texans 7/1
Green Bay Packers 8/1
Washington Redskins 20/1
Baltimore Ravens 25/1
Dallas Cowboys 40/1
Chicago Bears 50/1
Cincinnati Bengals 50/1
Indianapolis Colts 60/1
New York Giants 80/1
Minnesota Vikings 100/1

Hoosier Red
12-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Go ahead and pass for it, just a higher percentage selection. A slant, a quick out, a QB draw for that matter. The most frustrating part of it for me is that they get the first down there and they were one first down away from FG range. Such a low percentage pass on 3rd and 1 was not a very smart call.

I'm still not sure the decision wasn't right. AJ Green vs single coverage is higher percentage than just about any pass any time, and a short pass when the Steelers are playing tight to defend that one yard pass would likely have been quite difficult.

Having just heard and not seen, I can't tell for sure, but a lot of times on plays like that, the best option is to use the defense's necessary tight coverage against it.

Ohayou
12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
2013 opponents (not including divisional opponents):

Home: New England, N.Y. Jets, Green Bay, Minnesota and Indianapolis.

Away: Buffalo, Miami, Chicago, Detroit and San Diego.

UKFlounder
12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson and Andrew Luck at home? Wow. That should create some sellouts and even the travelling circus known as the Jets could be interesting.

The road teams don't look tough, but they've struggled with Buffalo in the last decade or two, could not beat Miami at home this year and who knows how those other teams will be? Talk about up and down, but the win in San Diego this year makes me feel better about their "west coast struggles."

As pessimistic as I usually am about the Bengals, the win last Sunday was impressive (the outcome, if not the style) & I have to admit I'm impressed with the 2 straight playoff appearnces. Hopefully they keep it up next year

UKFlounder
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Only Green & Atkins make the Pro Bowl, but 5 KC Chiefs do. Hmmm...

I guess Whitworth would have been a good candidate as well, but that's hard to determine with offensive linemen, but I'm not sure any other Bengal really got snubbed. They'll be either 9-7 or 10-6, neither of which is a dominating record, so 2 Pro Bowlers (but both starters) does not seem unreasonable, but the Chiefs getting 5 is pretty strange. That does not say much about Romeo Crennel's coaching this year - 5 Pro Bowlers, 2 wins.

5TimeWSChamps
12-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Only Green & Atkins make the Pro Bowl, but 5 KC Chiefs do. Hmmm...

I guess Whitworth would have been a good candidate as well, but that's hard to determine with offensive linemen, but I'm not sure any other Bengal really got snubbed. They'll be either 9-7 or 10-6, neither of which is a dominating record, so 2 Pro Bowlers (but both starters) does not seem unreasonable, but the Chiefs getting 5 is pretty strange. That does not say much about Romeo Crennel's coaching this year - 5 Pro Bowlers, 2 wins.

Shows how important a QB is.

Their talent is ridiculous on both sides of the ball.

Danny Serafini
12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Jermaine Gresham is basically in as well. He's 1st alternate, but with Heath Miller having torn an ACL he obviously isn't going to play, so Gresham slides in.

WMR
12-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Steelers fans, by and large, are really obnoxious. They've really done some attacking of the Bengals the past few days on some other forums I frequent.

LoganBuck
12-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Steelers fans, by and large, are really obnoxious. They've really done some attacking of the Bengals the past few days on some other forums I frequent.

Remember they are also probably Pirate fans, they have 8 more months of winter ahead.

WMR
12-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Remember they are also probably Pirate fans, they have 8 more months of winter ahead.

Hehe, you probably couldn't find a Pirate fan in Pitt right now. :lol:

I think what it means is that they actually feel that their place in the supposed hierarchy of the AFC North is being threatened.

If Mikey doesn't go cheap, this Bengals team could be pretty good for the next several years at least.

bucksfan2
12-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Hehe, you probably couldn't find a Pirate fan in Pitt right now. :lol:

I think what it means is that they actually feel that their place in the supposed hierarchy of the AFC North is being threatened.

If Mikey doesn't go cheap, this Bengals team could be pretty good for the next several years at least.

Us Cincinnati fans all hate Mike Brown, for a pretty good reason I may add. But I also think there needs to be a point where we start giving the Bengals organization credit. We all say Mike Brown is cheep but he has paid up to keep Zimmer on as the defensive coordinator. When Gruden was hired we laughed saying Brown though he was hiring John and got Jay. He brought in Hue Jackson after his stint as HC in Oakland. Granted they are still a small front office, but one that has gotten bigger lately.

Now to the actual players. Spending top dollar in free agency is a recipe for disaster. For ever J Joseph who becomes a top tier player on another team, there is a Mario Williams who is quiet on his new team. I am not sure of the new collective bargaining agreement, but I think you have to wait to extend draft picks. Green, Dunlap and Adkins MUST be extended and retained. Same can be said about Andre Smith. But there is a question with Michael Johnson, is he a difference maker, or is he going to be like Robert Gathers, a nice complimentary player but nothing special. The last thing you want to do is hand out big extensions to guys who are replaceable.

Time will tell but I like the path the Bengals are on. They do need to open up the pocket books but do that in extending your current stars, not trying to be a player in FA.

Stray
12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Us Cincinnati fans all hate Mike Brown, for a pretty good reason I may add. But I also think there needs to be a point where we start giving the Bengals organization credit. We all say Mike Brown is cheep but he has paid up to keep Zimmer on as the defensive coordinator. When Gruden was hired we laughed saying Brown though he was hiring John and got Jay. He brought in Hue Jackson after his stint as HC in Oakland. Granted they are still a small front office, but one that has gotten bigger lately.

Now to the actual players. Spending top dollar in free agency is a recipe for disaster. For ever J Joseph who becomes a top tier player on another team, there is a Mario Williams who is quiet on his new team. I am not sure of the new collective bargaining agreement, but I think you have to wait to extend draft picks. Green, Dunlap and Adkins MUST be extended and retained. Same can be said about Andre Smith. But there is a question with Michael Johnson, is he a difference maker, or is he going to be like Robert Gathers, a nice complimentary player but nothing special. The last thing you want to do is hand out big extensions to guys who are replaceable.

Time will tell but I like the path the Bengals are on. They do need to open up the pocket books but do that in extending your current stars, not trying to be a player in FA.

Totally agree with you about free agents. We've built through the draft and should continue to do so. The money we spend I'd like to see spent on keeping the guys we have.

5TimeWSChamps
12-29-2012, 12:35 AM
So I forgot I made this bet back in May on my 5dimes account...

120311348-1 5/6/12 2:56pm $25.00 $1000.00 Pending 8/5/12 8:00pm Football NFL +4000 Super Bowl XLVII - Cincinnati Bengals*

Sea Ray
12-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Three playoff appearances in four years sounds like a long term trend to me and not just a blind squirrel finding a nut. They're not yet the Steelers or Patriots but they're not the 90s Bengals either.

All this while playing in arguably the toughest division in football. I doubt any division has placed more teams in the playoffs than the AFC North in those 4 yrs

Stray
12-30-2012, 11:36 AM
It'd be nice to get a 10 win season. I agree with not resting starters because it can throw momentum off, it's a risk but so is every week. Oh and I just saw Kyle Cook is starting over Robinson again...maybe there's something he brings that isn't visible to the naked eye, but I can't figure it out.

blumj
12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Three playoff appearances in four years sounds like a long term trend to me and not just a blind squirrel finding a nut. They're not yet the Steelers or Patriots but they're not the 90s Bengals either.

All this while playing in arguably the toughest division in football. I doubt any division has placed more teams in the playoffs than the AFC North in those 4 yrs
No other, 9 in 4 years, although the NFC North might only be one back after today if the Bears or Vikings gets in. The AFC West has had the bare minimum of 4, and even one of those was an 8-8 team. And, for all the NFC East is such a tough division talk we're subjected to every year, they're likely to end up with only 5, just 1 better.

Ohayou
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Johnson reaches double digits in sacks.

Boss-Hog
12-30-2012, 01:35 PM
What's the latest with the Law Firm? They said on TV he pulled his hamstring in warmups, but I couldn't figure out if that's legit or just a nice way of saying he will not play.

Ohayou
12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Burfict all over the field today.

KoryMac5
12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I think I would rather keep Johnson than Dunlap if it comes down to a choice between the two. I like Johnson's overall game a bit better. With Atkins providing the push we can find another DE to fit the defensive scheme if we lose one to FA.

Ohayou
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I think I would rather keep Johnson than Dunlap if it comes down to a choice between the two. I like Johnson's overall game a bit better. With Atkins providing the push we can find another DE to fit the defensive scheme if we lose one to FA.

Speak of the devil.

The Operator
12-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Carlos Dunlap with the pick-6.

That guy is good.

KoryMac5
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Let's not pick between the two, how bout we keep both!

The Operator
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Let's not pick between the two, how bout we keep both!

I like the way you think.

Ohayou
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Looks like we'll be playing the Texans (again) this year, assuming both the Broncos/Patriots win today. I can't complain.

Redhook
12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Pretty sweet for the Bengals that Houston just lost. With NE and Denver hopefully winning later today, the Bengals go to Houston. They can beat them.

Stray
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
10-6 with terrible losses to Cleveland, Miami, a game given away to Dallas, and a 4 game losing streak? I'll take it!

RiverRat13
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I think they'll go ahead and take care of a Dalton extension this offseason. He's a statistically average to slightly average QB so I hope his new contract reflects that. After him, my personal priority list to extend:

1. Atkins
2. Green
3. Dunlap
4. Johnson
5. Smith

Atkins and Green are really 1A and 1B but A.J. has two years left on his deal so Geno's new deal takes first priority for me. However, I believe that A.J. gets a new deal this offseason first of the two. I don't think Smith is the worst player on the list, but he's the biggest risk as the potential is still there for him to eat his way out of the league and in today's NFL guys who get to the QB are more valuable than right tackles. I would be ecstatic if all of the guys get new deals but not sure if that is possible even with all of the Bengals' cap space.

RiverRat13
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Pretty sweet for the Bengals that Houston just lost. With NE and Denver hopefully winning later today, the Bengals go to Houston. They can beat them.

Yep :thumbup:

New York Red
12-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Our DL rotation is just ridiculous.

Reds Freak
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
After so many years of mediocre seasons at best, Cincinnati sports teams are becoming regular participants in the postseason. It's time to start advancing now...

redsfanmia
12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
After so many years of mediocre seasons at best, Cincinnati sports teams are becoming regular participants in the postseason. It's time to start advancing now...

The Bengals should beat the Texans, I went to the Texans Colts game today and the Texans were beaten soundly and looked uninterested. The pressure the Bengals can put on Shaub will cause him to make poor decisions and as long as the Bengals take advantage they should win.

Matt700wlw
12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
3-5 start, 7-1 finish (that has to be rare)....10-6 season.

The Bengals defense is legit. Let's go, boys!!!

Reds Fanatic
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Schedule for next week is out.

Bengals and Texans play at 4:30 Saturday

Vikings at Packers 8 Saturday
Colts at Ravens 1 Sunday
Seahawks at Redskins/Cowboys 4:30 Sunday

redsfan30
01-04-2013, 09:18 AM
No talk for nearly a week about a playoff game? One that a lot of people give the Bengals a good chance of winning?

Where is the excitement?

HeatherC1212
01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty excited about the game but with no real news out of Bengals practice this week (thankfully!), there hasn't been very much to talk about yet. I think the Law Firm has been practicing in limited spurts so I'm hopeful he can play a little bit on Saturday. Everyone else has either gotten rest or gotten healthy so their chances do look pretty good overall. Hopefully they can carry the good momentum they built in these last few games and win big in Houston. :D

Benihana
01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I am more (cautiously) optimistic for this game than I've been for a big Bengals game in many years. I'm not completely convinced we'll win, but I definitely think this is our best chance at a playoff win in more than 20 years. Who Dey!

UKFlounder
01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't know what to think. My natural instinct is to expect a loss, but I did the same thing the last 2 weeks, so what do I know?

Houston is a very good team, but maybe not as dangerous as Denver or New England, and the Bengals defense has been playing very well. If the offense can avoid turnovers and have at least a couple nice drives, they certainly have a shot, but I do think the offense needs to be better than against Pitt & Baltimore. Then again, as those games showed, what do I know? :)