PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KittyDuran
07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Didn't see a thread yet on this soooo... Hello from downtown Cincinnati! Hot but not too bad... Confiscated my umbrella but a lot of people still got their's in? Oh well, here's a pic:

KittyDuran
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
nm

Sea Ray
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I went down last night and here are a few of my observations:

1) Roderick Muckelroy was "into it". He pancaked Cedric Peerman in a drill and was very active. That's good to see because we may need him at MLB this year. Conversely, although it may be my imagination but Vontaze Burfict did not seem like he was into it. He seemed detached, kinda hanging out by himself in between plays

2) Jordan Shipley was practicing so he is officially off PUP

3) Taylor Mays was dressed in pads and all but just stood on the sidelines. I don't know what his issue was but this won't sit well with Marvin

4) Dalton and AJ Green connected on several tightly contested passes. Dare I say they're in mid season form

5) Sanu looked smooth and athletic, not the slow poke some worried he'd be

6) Concessions were flowing in the stands and in the aisles just like a real game. "Cold beer here" could be heard. Prices were "real game" too at $7.75/beer.

7) They had nicely printed rosters available for free

8) Don't bother paying $10/parking unless you bring your parents. Otherwise park on third st and walk a few blocks. It's good for you

Brutus
08-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Can one of the mods make this the 2012 Discussion thread?

If so, here's a story by CBS today on A.J. Green becoming one of the elite receivers...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19715949/bengals-sophomore-green-on-cusp-of-joining-nfls-elite-receivers

Ohayou
08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Dunlap likely to miss the season opener in Baltimore with a sprained knee.

NJReds
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
8) Don't bother paying $10/parking unless you bring your parents. Otherwise park on third st and walk a few blocks. It's good for you

$10? The Giants and Jets "allow" season ticket holders to by season parking passes for $250 (10 games), or $50 for individual games.

Or you can pay between $18-$28 to park in satellite lots and take a shuttle bus to the game.

For $10, I'll let you park at my house and I'll drive you to the train station. :lol:

5TimeWSChamps
08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
What an absolute joke.

The awful replacement refs blow a call on the punt, and Dunlap gets hurt on the next play

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
What an absolute joke.

The awful replacement refs blow a call on the punt, and Dunlap gets hurt on the next play

ESPN reports that the replacements may start the regular season. It's gonna be weird not seeing Ed Hochuli.

bucksfan2
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
ESPN reports that the replacements may start the regular season. It's gonna be weird not seeing Ed Hochuli.

I wish that the NFL would get rid of the bad refs and replace them with better ones. The two that I don't think should have gigs are Mike Carey and Jerome Boger. Carey is just bad and Boger's crew calls the most penalities in the league and really slows down the game.

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I wish that the NFL would get rid of the bad refs and replace them with better ones. The two that I don't think should have gigs are Mike Carey and Jerome Boger. Carey is just bad and Boger's crew calls the most penalities in the league and really slows down the game.

My dad and I talk about this all the time. We cannot understand why they need the head ref to run all the way to the side of the field to review the touchdown. Why can't you have one of the refs in the booth review it and send it down to the ref on the field.

The calls that really piss me off are the roughing the passer and unecessary roughness. The only spot you can tackle a QB now is the torso. You can't go near his legs and it is a penalty if you touch his helmut. Pretty soon it is going to be tag football or flag football for a QB.

Also, the refs are very biased when it comes to players. As much as I hate him, James Harrison and Ndamukong Suh get penalties just for tackling a guy because they are known as hard hitters.

bucksfan2
08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
My dad and I talk about this all the time. We cannot understand why they need the head ref to run all the way to the side of the field to review the touchdown. Why can't you have one of the refs in the booth review it and send it down to the ref on the field.

The calls that really piss me off are the roughing the passer and unecessary roughness. The only spot you can tackle a QB now is the torso. You can't go near his legs and it is a penalty if you touch his helmut. Pretty soon it is going to be tag football or flag football for a QB.

Also, the refs are very biased when it comes to players. As much as I hate him, James Harrison and Ndamukong Suh get penalties just for tackling a guy because they are known as hard hitters.

If there is a review system I like the way College Football does it. Why not just have a replay official in the booth and let him examine the plays and make the decision. I could go off on a tangent here but I think the officials call the game differently because or replay and that changes the scope of a game.

I think the roughing the passer calls are a necessary evil but I wish you could challenge a call. I also wish the NFL would do more to hold the refs accountable. I just get tired of seeing the bad officials do games and not be taken to task for their calls.

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I think the roughing the passer calls are a necessary evil but I wish you could challenge a call. I also wish the NFL would do more to hold the refs accountable. I just get tired of seeing the bad officials do games and not be taken to task for their calls.

I am not saying to abolish roughing the passer because I believe it is necessarry, I am arguing that it has become blown way out of proportion. How can a guy who is fighting off 300 lb offensive lineman expected to stop and set up a fundamental tackle on the QB? If he touches the helmet, shoulder pads, legs, knees, or even if it looks violent then it has to be roughing the passer, right?

I remember a play last season when a defensive player came rushing in and threw his hands up as he was getting blocked to try to block the pass. His hand inadvertenly touched the QBs helmet (not the facemask) and there was a flag. Plus there are guys like Brady who the league loves so he gets every call everytime he hits the ground. It is just getting out of hand is all.

Sea Ray
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
A bogus roughing the passer call cost the Bengals a game vs TB a few yrs ago (Mike Carey called it on Justin Smith). I can see why Bengal fans have an issue with it

Boss-Hog
08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
A bogus roughing the passer call cost the Bengals a game vs TB a few yrs ago (Mike Carey called it on Justin Smith). I can see why Bengal fans have an issue with it

That one was horrendous and ultimately cost that team a playoff spot (along with laying eggs the last three games of the year).

bucksfan2
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
That one was horrendous and ultimately cost that team a playoff spot (along with laying eggs the last three games of the year).

It was the worst football call I have ever seen. Mike Carey threw a flag when Justin Smith tackeld the QB too hard. Awful, just awful. Then his explination was just bogus as well. Never had any respect for him after that flag.

Sea Ray
08-15-2012, 10:14 AM
It was the worst football call I have ever seen. Mike Carey threw a flag when Justin Smith tackeld the QB too hard. Awful, just awful. Then his explination was just bogus as well. Never had any respect for him after that flag.

Why can't the Bengals ever get a key call like that in their favor? :dunno:

MWM
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Yep, that's still the worst call I've ever seen and it's not even close.

Sea Ray
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Yep, that's still the worst call I've ever seen and it's not even close.

It's a black eye on the NFL that they didn't quietly remove Carey after that season

bucksfan2
08-15-2012, 12:20 PM
It's a black eye on the NFL that they didn't quietly remove Carey after that season

The problem wasn't just the call. There are plenty of wrong calls made throughout the NFL season. The problem arises when an official doesn't admit to their mistake. When Carey said Smith tackled the QB "too hard" it wasn't a mea culpa, rather Carey still thinking he made the right call. The respected officials will admit to blowing a call, see Jim Joyce.

moewan
08-16-2012, 10:48 AM

I remember Justin saying after that game that he had to cuddle him to the ground next time :laugh:

Stray
08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Some good and bad in that first half. Pass defense and pass protection have been terrible...and Taylor Mays is going to seriously injure someone in the near future, maybe a Bengal.

Our run defense has been solid tho, and that pass from Dalton to Green was pretty.

5TimeWSChamps
08-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Dalton looks great, IMO.

Reds Fanatic
08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Jordan Shipley was waived today. He was still having problems with his knee from the injury he suffered last year.

bucksfan2
08-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Bengals waive Jordan Shipley.

I am surprised by that move. I thought they would give him more time. There was a point a few years ago when I thought about buying his jersey, he wore my favorite number and I thought he would be a quality slot WR for a number of years.

Reds Fanatic
08-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Bengals waive Jordan Shipley.

I am surprised by that move. I thought they would give him more time. There was a point a few years ago when I thought about buying his jersey, he wore my favorite number and I thought he would be a quality slot WR for a number of years.

I think if healthy he would have easily made the team but apparently last night he had his knee wrapped in ice and was still having problems coming back from that injury

CrackerJack
08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I think if healthy he would have easily made the team but apparently last night he had his knee wrapped in ice and was still having problems coming back from that injury

Man, kind of a harsh move if you ask me, they couldn't have put him on IR or something, to see if they could get him right first? Wonder if the players union will have any issues with it.

They spent a 3rd round pick on the guy just two years ago, and he was very solid for them.

I don't know that another team is going to pick him up right away (could be wrong) if he can't play yet. Otherwise I'd say release him sooner than later of course, if they know they aren't going to keep him.

They are a little too in love with Hawkins and Tate I think. I thought Shipley was a better PR than Tate also. It's too bad.

5TimeWSChamps
08-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Don't forget, Shipley is already like 27 years old or something. I'd imagine he's the oldest 3rd year player in the league

Sea Ray
08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
He's too small, too slow and too injured to compete with the talent they already have at WR. He also isn't Gruden's idea of a slot receiver. I really like the guy and wish him well (as long as he doesn't go to an AFC North team) but I don't see any way around this

WMR
08-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I thought there was some rule about cutting players while they're injured? Maybe I'm thinking of a different sport.

Sea Ray
08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I thought there was some rule about cutting players while they're injured? Maybe I'm thinking of a different sport.

If he were injured he would be on PUP now. If icing a knee counts as an injury, any player could go for an injury settlement

WMR
08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
If he were injured he would be on PUP now. If icing a knee counts as an injury, any player could go for an injury settlement

That being the case, did the Bengals conduct an MRI before releasing him?

Ohayou
08-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Tough to see him go. Hopefully someone will claim him and give him a shot.

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2012, 05:32 AM
So, what is your prediction? How many games will the Bengals win this year?

In looking at their schedule, it's pretty even. About half the games will be very tough and half the games should be fairly easily winnable.

I'm going to go with 10-6. I do think there's a chance they could get to 11-5, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Sea Ray
08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
That being the case, did the Bengals conduct an MRI before releasing him?

Due to HIPAA laws, I'm not privy to such info but I'm not aware of his agent grumbling about this. Are you?

Redsfaithful
08-18-2012, 01:57 PM
So, what is your prediction? How many games will the Bengals win this year?

In looking at their schedule, it's pretty even. About half the games will be very tough and half the games should be fairly easily winnable.

I'm going to go with 10-6. I do think there's a chance they could get to 11-5, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm hoping for at least 9 and a playoff win. Back to back winning seasons is a step they still need to take.

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm hoping for at least 9 and a playoff win. Back to back winning seasons is a step they still need to take.

I'd be surprised if they don't win at least 9 games. Even though they have a tough division, the Bengals easily should be better this year. Another great draft and Dalton is a year older/more experienced.

CTA513
08-19-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm thinking 9-10 wins unless Dalton gets hurt.

KoryMac5
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I am thinking 8 wins, with luck we may get 10, and with bad luck we may get 6. The offense seems to have a nice flow so far and I love how Dalton is handling all of his duties so far.

Redhook
08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm hoping for 10 wins, but expecting about 8. It's been 30 years or so since this team has made the playoffs back to back times. That's a long time. They're due, but with their schedule and these injuries piling up, it'll be difficult. I do like their though. If they stay reasonably healthy, they should get better and better as the season goes.

Sea Ray
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I do like their though. If they stay reasonably healthy, they should get better and better as the season goes.

You like their "what"? Seems to me you forgot a very important word there.

bucksfan2
08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I can see anywhere from 10-6 to 6-10. I think this is a good team, with two very good coordinators. I also think that Dalton has knack to make the big time play when it is needed. He has the ability to escape the pocket and turn a sack into a 5 yard gain. Green may be one of the best WR's in the league but will need some help opposite him. The Law Firm will be a big upgrade over where Ced was last season.

On defense their front 4 is a bunch of "no names" who get the job done. Adkins and Dunlap have the potential to be difference makers. They need a playmaker in the back 7.

If the injury bug doesn't hit a key player this season I think the Bengals have a good shot to make the playoffs. If Green, Dalton, Adkins, Hall, Whit, or any other key cog miss an extended period of time they are in trouble.

Reds Fanatic
08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
The Buccaneers signed Jordan Shipley today.

Redhook
08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
You like their "what"? Seems to me you forgot a very important word there.

Lol. Their team! But wasn't it more fun when you were guessing? I wrote that messge this morning from my phone while trying to feed my 2 kids.

Sea Ray
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Lol. Their team! But wasn't it more fun when you were guessing? I wrote that messge this morning from my phone while trying to feed my 2 kids.

:thumbup:

Benihana
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Jonathan Fanene was released by the Pats. Given the injury concerns on the d-line, I'd love to have him back.

Sea Ray
08-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Jonathan Fanene was released by the Pats. Given the injury concerns on the d-line, I'd love to have him back.

I'd love to have a healthy Fanene back but he's far from that. He's going under the knife this week

BuckeyeRed27
08-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Any chance the Bengals go after MJD? That would be huge.

Boss-Hog
08-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Any chance the Bengals go after MJD? That would be huge.
I'd be shocked if the Jags deal him, and even more surprised if we traded for him, but with our cap space, I'm sure we could accommodate his demand for a new contract (and keep BJGE to boot for a change of pace back).

KoryMac5
08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Lots of miles on those legs. You would have to give a 2nd and perhaps a 4th than pay6 million per yr to sign him. Plus he is always a health risk because of his knee issues. I would pass.

Stray
08-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Our pass protection is worth worrying about. Those guys haven't blocked anyone yet.

KoryMac5
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah Dalton was running for his life all night vs the Pack. I hope it is not a sign of things to come. The Lawfirm needs to get healthy quick, no run game let them tee off last night. Boling and the interior lineman looked awful. Can we please get Marvin Jones some first team snaps.

Benihana
08-25-2012, 12:46 PM
No reason why we didn't pursue Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs in the offseason.

Also inexplicable why we drafted Devon Still over Rueben Randle.

Those were by far the two biggest missteps of the offseason, and I am quite concerned that they will come back to haunt us (at LG and #2WR).

As a bonus, if we were to acquire MJD (which we won't), we could have the honor of the only backfield in NFL history with two hyphenated last names/acronyms: BJGE and MJD.

KoryMac5
08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah going Still and Thompson back to back like that was a head scratcher. I like Still and Thompson seperately and think they have looked good but both of those picks seemed redundant to me. Would have peferred a RB in the first three rounds. The loss of Wharton is really stinging this team as Boling still looks overmatched. Roland looked better at guard than he did the other night.

cincrazy
08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I can't see the Bengals winning more than six games. I'm an eternal pessimist with this team, sometimes unfairly, but they rarely follow up successful season with more success. The schedule is much tougher this year, particularly the second half. The O-line is a mess, and the WR corps has much to prove. And the running game may be adequate, but far from explosive. And I'm going to be honest, I don't know how good Andy Dalton is. I'm not as high on him as most Bengals fans. I think he'll have a solid career, but nothing to write home about.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah going Still and Thompson back to back like that was a head scratcher. I like Still and Thompson seperately and think they have looked good but both of those picks seemed redundant to me. Would have peferred a RB in the first three rounds. The loss of Wharton is really stinging this team as Boling still looks overmatched. Roland looked better at guard than he did the other night.
I loved the pick of Still, but I wasn't big on Thompson. Then again, if you're a Bengals 3rd round pick, you're probably cursed regardless.

KoryMac5
08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I loved the pick of Still, but I wasn't big on Thompson. Then again, if you're a Bengals 3rd round pick, you're probably cursed regardless.

Yeah Still has a ton of potential as a pass rusher, wish marvin would move him around a bit and give him some snaps at DE. Moch has been a beast this preseason too bad he has to sit for 4 games.

traderumor
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
The receiver corp also scares me. I honestly have watched very little of the preseason, but the little bit I'm up to speed on the Bengals, there seems like a dearth at receiver. Simpson was barely getting the job done last year, and now they've seemingly gone backward there.

How is the injury picture looking, besides the O-lineman who is out for the year? Dunlap will miss a game or two? What else?

Ohayou
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
How is the injury picture looking, besides the O-lineman who is out for the year? Dunlap will miss a game or two? What else?

Ghee is on the IR, Sims looks like he might miss 5-6 games, and Gresham/Scott/Kirkpatrick are Week 1 questions. That's all I've got.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah Still has a ton of potential as a pass rusher, wish marvin would move him around a bit and give him some snaps at DE. Moch has been a beast this preseason too bad he has to sit for 4 games.
I'm not worried about the receivers. Tate and Binns have looked about as good as Simpson, and Marvin Jones is quickly making a name for himself (although I have doubts about how well he'd do against first-string DBs). I'm a little disappointed with Sanu so far. Whalen has some potential and makes you consider carrying 7 receivers. When Gresham gets back, I imagine it'll make everyone a little bit better.

TeamSelig
08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I am so tired of the Bengals sucking. :(

Reds Fanatic
08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
It looks like Bengals C Kyle Cook may be out for the year. Nothing official yet but the rumors are it a serious ankle injury

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mulling-Cooks-option-as-Kirkpatrick-sits-out-vs-Colts/415b2325-3ec7-4a12-86f3-361b4d6a0abc

Reds Fanatic
08-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Bengals final cuts are in:

Full list of transactions here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/transactions.html

Sea Ray
09-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Roddrick Muckleroy is the only surprise there. I was glad to see Burfict make it and I guess they don't need 3 MLBs

Redhook
09-01-2012, 08:03 AM
With all these injuries and the tough schedule, it appears it's going to be a difficult season for the Bengals. Hopefully, the defense can dominate and lead them to the playoffs, but an 8-8 record looks likely. I hope I'm wrong and I can't wait for the games to start.

cincrazy
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
With all these injuries and the tough schedule, it appears it's going to be a difficult season for the Bengals. Hopefully, the defense can dominate and lead them to the playoffs, but an 8-8 record looks likely. I hope I'm wrong and I can't wait for the games to start.

I'm leaning more towards 6-10. The offensive line is a mess, after AJ Green the receivers are a huge question mark, and the defense is banged up. I also see a sophomore slump coming from Andy Dalton due to the chaos around him. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not feeling a good season in Cincy this year.

Tony Cloninger
09-03-2012, 03:37 PM
The fact they think Dennis Roland is the best option at backup T....or any post on the OL is scary to me.

KoryMac5
09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Roland would be awful as a starting tackle however as a backup he is very valuable to this team as he can play multiple positions. If he is starting the Bengals will be in BIG trouble.

I would say this is a 6 win team if everything bounces there way 8-9 wins. Love Dalton, Green and Gresham but honestly there ain't much after that on offense. Biggest mistake of the draft not packaging those multiple picks to slide back up and get Wilson from Tech.

WMR
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
So who is Dalton going to be throwing to besides Green?

Redsfaithful
09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Losing two offensive linemen before the season starts certainly has put a damper on things. I also don't feel good about the secondary.

The receiver group actually doesn't bother me. I think it can easily be made to work with one elite guy and a few average players. Obviously, I'm assuming some of those guys can be average.

Pretty much have to hope Andy Dalton can take a big leap forward or it's going to be a 4-6 win season.

bucksfan2
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
@ Baltimore
Cleveland
@ Washington
@ Jacksonville
Miami
@ Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Bye
NY Giants
@ KC
Oakland
@ San Diego
Dallas
@ Philly
@ Pittsburgh
Baltimore

I am looking at the Bengals schedule and really don't know what to think. If you go off of last year, they could/should start the season off 5-1. But after the Cleveland game the schedule takes a turn for the harder.

I think in general the Bengals are trending up while the Ravens and Steelers are trending down. It could be a blessing/curse getting them the last game of the season.

They need to beat up on the teams they should beat while stealing a game or two that they aren't favored.

Ohayou
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Shipley cut again.

Sea Ray
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Shipley cut again.

Yes, he was waived by TB 4 days ago

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Flacco having no issue picking apart the secondary.

RiverRat13
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Flacco having no issue picking apart the secondary.

Too bad the Bengals didn't have an extra $15 million in cap space to properly address the secondary instead of signing a parade of re-treads.

Oh, wait...

cincrazy
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
The Bengals are doing nothing to make me think I was wrong to predict a crap season.

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm digging BJGE.

UKFlounder
09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice to see such a motivated prepared team to start the year - but a damn shame Marvin gave his team the week off

BuckeyeRedleg
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
This team simply didn't get better in the off-season. Combine that with some bad luck (injuries) and a tough schedule and it's back to your regularly scheduled Bungals.

5-11

blumj
09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm digging BJGE.
Grows on you, doesn't he?

Stray
09-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Baltimore was a dropped pass away from the Super Bowl last year. They look really really good.

Defensively the secondary looks suspect, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Offensively we're doing some good things though. Hawkins and Green Ellis have been good. Go get em in the 2nd half!

Sea Ray
09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Baltimore was a dropped pass away from the Super Bowl last year. They look really really good.

Defensively the secondary looks suspect, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Offensively we're doing some good things though. Hawkins and Green Ellis have been good. Go get em in the 2nd half!

Balt looks pretty "super" to me so far but I think the Bengals have acquitted themselves well so far. I'm particularly impressed with the new O-line

Brutus
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Too bad the Bengals didn't have an extra $15 million in cap space to properly address the secondary instead of signing a parade of re-treads.

Oh, wait...

The issue hasn't really been with the secondary. Flacco is making some nice throws against decent coverage. The bigger issue is that he's had almost all day to throw.

Brutus
09-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Balt looks pretty "super" to me so far but I think the Bengals have acquitted themselves well so far. I'm particularly impressed with the new O-line

I was skeptical about the line and running game in general coming into the season, but I agree tonight it looks pretty good.

Stray
09-10-2012, 09:49 PM

I was really worried about Boling and Faine going into this game, I agree they've been much better than expected.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Decent drive to start 2nd half. Need to get a quick 3 and out. Would have been interesting to see a make it or break it 4th and 1 from the 1, but can't argue with going conservative.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
D-line is getting manhandled.

Stray
09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Can't cover their WRs and TEs.

UKFlounder
09-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Making Joe Flacco look like Joe Montana. That takes a pretty special lack of talent and/or effort to do.

Oh well.

Stray
09-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Making Joe Flacco look like Joe Montana. That takes a pretty special lack of talent and/or effort to do.

Oh well.

He's throwing off of his back foot and/or with pressure in his face and he's putting just about everything on the money. He's playing great.

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Baby Hawk is balling out of control. Too bad he was down.

top6
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Hard to be too upset about this. They are losing on the road to maybe the best team in the AFC, and possibly the NFL.

Still, pretty disappointing defensive effort. Hall and Maleluga especially look terrible. Still can't believe Mike "Failure" Brown didn't franchise Joseph last year. He's pretty much the difference between the Bengals being really good and mediocre/bad.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Hard to be too upset about this. They are losing on the road to maybe the best team in the AFC, and possibly the NFL.

Still, pretty disappointing defensive effort. Hall and Maleluga especially look terrible. Still can't believe Mike "Failure" Brown didn't franchise Joseph last year. He's pretty much the difference between the Bengals being really good and mediocre/bad.

Franchising him last year wouldn't have helped at all this year.

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
The issue hasn't really been with the secondary. Flacco is making some nice throws against decent coverage. The bigger issue is that he's had almost all day to throw.

What coverage? Pitta, all of Baltimore's receivers, have been wide open all game.

UKFlounder
09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Keep the current effort up and the ravens may get 50. What a joke of an "effort"

BuckeyeRedleg
09-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Bengals crapping themselves on national TV once again. Some things never change.

Stray
09-10-2012, 10:43 PM
The loss isn't bad. If we're gonna get these guys it'll be at home.

That said we gotta learn to cover a tight end, we gotta get better coverage out of our secondary, and Taylor Mays cannot see the field until he knows what he's doing. Linebackers bit on every single play fake, D-Line got blocked by a suspect O-Line, and the tackling has been sub par.

Offensively we'll be alright. Much better than expected to be honest, we're going against a good defense and did some good things.

Defensively we have a looooong way to go.

top6
09-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Franchising him last year wouldn't have helped at all this year.

Actually, it would have, as they could have franchised him again this year. Also, had he been franchised, he would have signed a long term deal.

LOL at the Bengals as they try to get fans to buy tickets when they won't even try to keep their good players.

Joseph
09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Hard to be upset about this? Well in the sense its only sports and not something important I agree.

Otherwise its an embarassment, which is essentially all this franchise is.

Oxilon
09-10-2012, 10:47 PM
LOL The Ravens call a timeout just to yell at the refs. Bengaldom...it's a comedy of errors.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Actually, it would have, as they could have franchised him again this year. Also, had he been franchised, he would have signed a long term deal.
LOL at the Bengals as they try to get fans to buy tickets when they won't even try to keep their good players.

There's a lot of speculation involved in your premise.

It doesn't mean they shouldn't have gone ahead with the Franchise tag of course.

But the Reds probably shouldn't have traded Hamilton for Volquez, at some point it stops being relevant.

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Unless the Bengals want Dalton to leave the game on a stretcher, I'd be getting Gradkowski ready.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Hard to be upset about this? Well in the sense its only sports and not something important I agree.

Otherwise its an embarassment, which is essentially all this franchise is.

Nothing like hyperbole to help keep things in perspective.

Joseph
09-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Nothing like hyperbole to help keep things in perspective.

Spare me. This franchise was and is terrible. It has some incredibly talented players that I enjoy watching, and now and then things fall in line and they have a good season, but nothing ever seems to change. They are being out played/out coached, just like most weeks.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Spare me. This franchise was and is terrible. It has some incredibly talented players that I enjoy watching, and now and then things fall in line and they have a good season, but nothing ever seems to change. They are being out played/out coached, just like most weeks.

Hey listen if the Bengals are embarrassing for you, by all means don't let me stand in the way.

If you see the franchise now as the same one under Dave Shula, I'm not sure anything can change your mind.

The Steelers lost to the Ravens 35-7 in the first week last year, somehow they recovered to make the playoffs.

Simply stated, no matter how good or bad, no reason to overreact.

cincrazy
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey listen if the Bengals are embarrassing for you, by all means don't let me stand in the way.

If you see the franchise now as the same one under Dave Shula, I'm not sure anything can change your mind.

The Steelers lost to the Ravens 35-7 in the first week last year, somehow they recovered to make the playoffs.

Simply stated, no matter how good or bad, no reason to overreact.

I respect your unwavering support of them. But I'm with Joseph here. The common denominator between the Dave Shula era and this era is Mike Brown. That hasn't changed. And it's why we'll never get over the hump.

top6
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I mean, as I said before, this isn't that bad a loss, although it got a little out of control. Almost every, if not every, team in the NFL would lose to the Ravens on the road.

Also, the Bengals have been more consistently competitive than the Reds since Marvin Lewis was the coach. So it's pretty easy to mock Mike "Failure" Brown, as I often do, but it's never been that clear to me that Castellini is that much better. It's just that Brown doesn't care about winning more than he cares about money and doing things his way, and Castellini does care about winning but doesn't know how to do it.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I respect your unwavering support of them. But I'm with Joseph here. The common denominator between the Dave Shula era and this era is Mike Brown. That hasn't changed. And it's why we'll never get over the hump.

My support's not unwavering but I simply can't understand how you can look at the current team and say, "yeah, it pretty much looks like this (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1993.htm)"

This team may not get over the "hump" depending on what you define the hump as, but to be fair, the Bengals are pretty much in a group with 10-15 teams.

Mike Brown was a lousy cheap skate owner when he took over for his father, who if truth be told had turned into a lousy cheapskate owner. But he's been pretty much like every other owner in the last 10 years which shows if nothing else progress.

cincrazy
09-10-2012, 11:26 PM
My support's not unwavering but I simply can't understand how you can look at the current team and say, "yeah, it pretty much looks like this (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1993.htm)"

This team may not get over the "hump" depending on what you define the hump as, but to be fair, the Bengals are pretty much in a group with 10-15 teams.

Mike Brown was a lousy cheap skate owner when he took over for his father, who if truth be told had turned into a lousy cheapskate owner. But he's been pretty much like every other owner in the last 10 years which shows if nothing else progress.

Really? We practice outside. And we still have like seven scouts. He's definitely not like every other owner in the NFL, with all due respect.

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Why some of you continue to compare the new Bengals to the 90s version is beyond me. There has been at least 8-10 other teams within the last 10 years that have had it worse. It wasn't too long ago that the Lions were 0-16. From 2008-2010, they had won a total of 8 games. Now they're legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Stray
09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
The Ravens are better than we are. Mike Brown doesn't coach these guys or cover TEs on 3rd down. Honestly I think he's done a solid job at assembling a team with a lot of talent, we aren't exactly a sexy big name FA destination. A lot of teams would have been beat down by that Ravens' performance tonight.

I didn't expect a Superbowl this year. I'll wait and see how we look against the rest of the league.

top6
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM
The Ravens are better than we are. Mike Brown doesn't coach these guys or cover TEs on 3rd down.

But he does hire all the guys who do, and has repeatedly insisted that he will continue to do so, regardless of past results.

Stray
09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
But he does hire all the guys who do, and has repeatedly insisted that he will continue to do so, regardless of past results.

Just my opinion, but here's how I see it.

Marvin is average
Zimmer is a head coach in the making, very good.
Gruden is a head coach in the making, very good.

The coaching is pretty solid IMO. We lack talent and depth at certain positions, but we knew that a month ago. If the Ravens play like they did tonight they're gonna beat everyone minus maybe the 9ers.

At some point we need to get better players, and to get better players we usually have to draft them. How many big name FAs have Cincinnati listed?

I think we'll be fine. That performance from the Ravens tonight was special.

top6
09-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Why some of you continue to compare the new Bengals to the 90s version is beyond me.

Because the same person is running the Bengals now who was running them then? I'm confused as to why someone wouldn't compare them.

Ohayou
09-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Perhaps because this team is peanuts to the horrors witnessed in the 90s.

fearofpopvol1
09-11-2012, 02:20 AM
I really thought the Bengals were going to win this game tonight, I even picked it in my pick 'em league. I was clearly wrong.

Wonderful Monds
09-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Key players were missing from the defense tonight. The offense was serviceable and should be better when not playing from such a large deficit.

A lot of overreaction here IMO. They are likely just as good as they were last year.

CTA513
09-11-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm digging BJGE.

Didn't get to watch the game due to work, but it sounds like he was one of the few bright spots.

Redsfaithful
09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Will be really impressed if Zimmer makes this a decent defense again this year. They looked worse than they ever have under him.

It's just one game though. The disappointing thing is that they clearly aren't a Super Bowl contending team, but that doesn't mean it can't still be an enjoyable season.

The Browns game will be telling, if the defense can't get stops against Weeden then they are looking at 3-13.

KoryMac5
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah LawFirm looked a bit more explosive than I remember him in NE. Bengals need a 2nd receiver really bad. Loved Hawkins last night but he is not a true 2nd receiver. Time to cut bait on Mays and go with Myles. Hated the decision to not go for it on 4th and 1 from the 1 yd line. Zimmer better get his guys on track.

Ohayou
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Burress and Gaffney are still out there. I think the Bengals are content with what they have, though.

WMR
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
85 is a FA. :D

RiverRat13
09-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Will be really impressed if Zimmer makes this a decent defense again this year. They looked worse than they ever have under him.

Step 1: Realize that it isn't 1993 and you can't play safeties who can't cover.

Redsfaithful
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I almost think there must be guys on the street better than Taylor Mays and Miles.

I couldn't believe in the offseason this was really their safety strategy, and I still can't really believe it.

I don't see WR being a significant problem. The offense wasn't good either, but nowhere near as bad as the defense.

cincrazy
09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Key players were missing from the defense tonight. The offense was serviceable and should be better when not playing from such a large deficit.

A lot of overreaction here IMO. They are likely just as good as they were last year.

That's the problem I think. They weren't very good last year. They went 0-8 against contending teams, and all nine of their wins were against bad teams, and a lot of those games they barely won. This year, the schedule is a lot tougher. So if they're just as good as they were last year, they're probably staring at 6-10, best-case scenario.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to the Bengals :). Hope I'm wrong.

Tony Cloninger
09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
The Jets in 1985 lost in LA vs the Raiders about 38-0 ....and went 11-4 the rest of the way.

The 1981 Jets.... lost their first 2 games by a combined I think 3-60 something and lost only 2 more games the rest of the year.

1989 Steelers lost 51-0 vs CLE and 41-10 at Cincy....went to the playoffs.

Not going to worry about the first game...the next 5 games are winnable ...so I will see how bad/good they really are then.

Oxilon
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
The Jets in 1985 lost in LA vs the Raiders about 38-0 ....and went 11-4 the rest of the way.

The 1981 Jets.... lost their first 2 games by a combined I think 3-60 something and lost only 2 more games the rest of the year.

1989 Steelers lost 51-0 vs CLE and 41-10 at Cincy....went to the playoffs.

Not going to worry about the first game...the next 5 games are winnable ...so I will see how bad/good they really are then.

I understand what you're saying, but what's the point of making the playoffs if you're just going to get blown out?

Hoosier Red
09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I understand what you're saying, but what's the point of making the playoffs if you're just going to get blown out?

Why are they destined to be blown out in the playoffs? I think there's a fair amount of evidence to support the Bengals getting better as the season goes on and a number of teams coming back to the pack.

I don't think Monday night proved anything other than the Bengals played okay for about a half but couldn't do anything defensively, and the game got out of control because of two key turnovers. Unfortunately, they won't really be able to prove if this is the true level of the team or an outlier for about 6 weeks.

Hoosier Red
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM
That's the problem I think. They weren't very good last year. They went 0-8 against contending teams, and all nine of their wins were against bad teams, and a lot of those games they barely won. This year, the schedule is a lot tougher. So if they're just as good as they were last year, they're probably staring at 6-10, best-case scenario.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to the Bengals :). Hope I'm wrong.

If they barely beat the "bad" teams do they get to count the games they "almost won" against the teams in the playoffs?

To be perfectly honest, the team would have been just about as good had it beaten SF and lost to SEA or if it had beaten HOU and lost to CLE.

This year's team may or may not make the playoffs, but it's overly alarmist to believe that there are no teams with huge flaws exposed in week 1 who will make the playoffs.

bucksfan2
09-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Why are they destined to be blown out in the playoffs? I think there's a fair amount of evidence to support the Bengals getting better as the season goes on and a number of teams coming back to the pack.

I don't think Monday night proved anything other than the Bengals played okay for about a half but couldn't do anything defensively, and the game got out of control because of two key turnovers. Unfortunately, they won't really be able to prove if this is the true level of the team or an outlier for about 6 weeks.

I don't take a whole lot away from the game. The offense was acceptable just got way behind the 8 ball early. The coverage was abysmal and I would have to think it gets better with Hall getting more PT as well as Kirkpatrick coming back at some point.

The S and LB corp will be an issue going forward. But I also wonder if the Ravens new no huddle was difficult to scheme against because there was no tape.

Hoosier Red
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't take a whole lot away from the game. The offense was acceptable just got way behind the 8 ball early. The coverage was abysmal and I would have to think it gets better with Hall getting more PT as well as Kirkpatrick coming back at some point.

The S and LB corp will be an issue going forward. But I also wonder if the Ravens new no huddle was difficult to scheme against because there was no tape.

All true. Though I thought I heard Lap say Kirkpatrick will be inactive for much of the year.

Also it's worth noting that going into the game the goal was to keep Rice from killing them. To that end, they did okay. I wouldn't say they contained him by any stretch, but he didn't singlehandedly beat them.

Unfortunately, having to committ that many resources to slow Rice down meant that Flacco had his pick of matchups to exploit.

Oxilon
09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
All offseason, the local Baltimore media (and fans) have been piping up Flacco, saying this is his year to "breakout." I pretty much dismissed it (even his good performance against the Pats and their historically bad defense in the playoff game). But I might have to eat crow. If Flacco puts himself into the top tier of QBs in the league, I don't see how the Ravens don't win the Super Bowl.

KoryMac5
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
The injury hits keep coming LB Thomas Howard done for the season with a torn ACL. Ugggh! Muckleroy on his way back to the Bengals.

RiverRat13
09-14-2012, 02:29 PM
The injury hits keep coming LB Thomas Howard done for the season with a torn ACL. Ugggh! Muckleroy on his way back to the Bengals.

Shaping up to be an ugly season.

Redsfaithful
09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Saying Burfict will be starter now. Should be interesting.

KoryMac5
09-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Interesting, I knew the Bengals were high on him but I thought they would go Skuta. On a positive note Burfict did look good in coverage this preseason. I love Howard but I am excited to see how well this kid can perform. If he sucks at least he and Mays can have a personal foul party.

5TimeWSChamps
09-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Pumped to see this man in action

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/ls2dso-b78853190z.120110924225152000g0r12aq94.1.jpg

Ohayou
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Adam Jones scores on an 81 yard punt return. Hopefully that means no more of Tate.

Ohayou
09-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Richardson runs 32 yards for his first NFL TD, Maualuga no where to be found.

Ohayou
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Tate with his first Bengals TD reception, Cincy goes up 24-10.

Stray
09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
The defense is so bad.

WebScorpion
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Bengals win 34-27. Nice game for the offense...the defense has a long way to go. ;)

Ravens are losing 24-23 with about 1:55 left in the game...they'll only need a FG to win it, but the same thing happened to the Pats earlier...they got it all lined up, killed the clock, and... Wide right. <DOH!> Let's see how the Ravens do...

Nope, they didn't even get into field goal range. Ravens lose 24-23! Bengals are tied for first in the division!

cincrazy
09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
The secondary used to be the strength of this team. It is now a HUGE handicap. It's going to be a struggle to 8-8 playing D like that. Regardless, they held on for the W.

Oxilon
09-16-2012, 05:50 PM
The secondary used to be the strength of this team. It is now a HUGE handicap. It's going to be a struggle to 8-8 playing D like that. Regardless, they held on for the W.

That should be expected when you let your Pro Bowl CBs leave through free agency and replace them with an over-the-hill vet and make a 2nd round bust your starting safety.

cincrazy
09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
That should be expected when you let your Pro Bowl CBs leave through free agency and replace them with an over-the-hill vet and make a 2nd round bust your starting safety.

No question. It's a travesty they let Joseph get away. And no disrespect to Leon Hall, but if you're going to choose to invest in Joseph or Hall, it's a no-brainer who to choose.

RiverRat13
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
No question. It's a travesty they let Joseph get away. And no disrespect to Leon Hall, but if you're going to choose to invest in Joseph or Hall, it's a no-brainer who to choose.

Joseph is better, but when the decision was made it was Hall who had a much better history of staying on the field.

KoryMac5
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I hated to lose J Joe but not at the money he got from Houston. JJ was good to miss 3 games every season to injury while Hall was a sure tackler and a good cover guy. Hall's issue is that he has not shaken off the rust from being shelved with an achilles issue. Zimmer has his hands full with this D as there are a ton of liabilities. The LB corp is weak, the secondary has 2 good players in Nelson and Hall, the D line generates no pass rush except for Geno. Other than that we should be fine. He needs a huge raise if we get a top 10 defensive ranking this season.

cincrazy
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Honestly I've never been that impressed with Hall. He's fine as a #2 corner, but as a #1 he's going to get exposed. The guy can't cover elite receivers. He couldn't do it in college at Michigan, and he can't do it now. He doesn't have the size or speed to match up with the best. JJ's history of injury or not, he's a better player.

KoryMac5
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Nobody is arguing that Hall is better however at the time JJ could not stay on the field for a full 16 games. With the money Houston was giving JJ I think it was an OK gamble to bet on Hall to be a good corner going forward. I still think Hall will be fine given time to recover from his injury. This team has a lot more wrong with it than Leon Hall.

Stray
09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
We'll be better when Dunlap gets back and we start to work Kirkpatrick into the mix.

cincrazy
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't even call Hall a problem. He's not "bad," per se, I just don't think he's as good as his reputation. The safeties are terrible. As noted above, hopefully Kirkpatrick and Dunlap can solve some problems.

Ohayou
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Jamaal Anderson out for the season.

Joseph
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Whats the story with Kirkpatrick, is he coming back soon?

5TimeWSChamps
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
The D-Line is a mess. Dunlap better get healthy

GAC
09-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Good game (win) Bengal fans. My Browns haven't fared well playing in Cincy...of course they haven't fared well playing just about anywhere! LOL

I knew we'd have an even bigger uphill battle without Hayden. I guess if I can take anything positive from this game it was the play of Weeden and Richardson. Racking up 100+ yards in penalties is typical Browns.

Thoroughly impressed with the Bengals receiving corp. Wow! All game long our LBers were giving all types of cushion from the line of scrimmage out of "respect" for your receiver's speed. And Dalton did a great job of taking what they gave them. Buster Skrine (#22) had no business being on the field. He was lost when matched up vs Green. That catch/run by Hawkins in the 4th was pure athleticism and simply awesome!

Neither one of our teams, especially in the secondary, seem to know how to tackle.

5TimeWSChamps
09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Well, for those of us in Columbus, instead of seeing RG3 next week, 10TV is giving us Ryan Fitzpatrick vs Brandon Weeden.

Feel free to go after @Frank10TV on twitter, I ripped into him last year when they showed Browns-Texans instead of Bengals-Titans.

Redsfaithful
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
10tv would prefer to show the Browns all the time I think, but can't because they are usually worse than the Bengals. It's why I buy Sunday Ticket every year, it probably comes out to the same amount I'd spend going to a bar on weeks they show the Browns.

Redsfaithful
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I should add, they might be justified in preferring Browns games, possibly the ratings are higher, I have no idea.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
We'll be better when Dunlap gets back and we start to work Kirkpatrick into the mix.

Kirkpatrick's future in the NFL is as a safety, and he could be a Pro Bowl-level safety. I doubt be able to play man-to-man CB on a consistent level.

KoryMac5
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Kirkpatrick's future in the NFL is as a safety, and he could be a Pro Bowl-level safety. I doubt be able to play man-to-man CB on a consistent level.

We should probably see the kid play a full season before making those declarations. I heard the noise before the draft as well too that he may be a better safety but if you can play CB for Saban at Bama and excel you can play corner in the NFL.

KoryMac5
09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Zimmer was fired up a bunch at practice today! States he is not going to stand pat with this defense. I think some changes might be coming and it is possible that Rey may lose his job at that MLB spot.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Zimmer was fired up a bunch at practice today! States he is not going to stand pat with this defense. I think some changes might be coming and it is possible that Rey may lose his job at that MLB spot.

If he gets benched like Taylor Mays was this week, I'll be impressed and say "he gets it." If not then it's more of the same old, same old around here

WMR
09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
There's no use benching someone if the next man on the depth chart is even worse... which then begs the question, why was that player a starter in the first place?

5TimeWSChamps
09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Maulauga is awful.

Muckelroy is much better, only thing against him is he wasn't a high pick

camisadelgolf
09-18-2012, 06:18 AM
There's no use benching someone if the next man on the depth chart is even worse... which then begs the question, why was that player a starter in the first place?
Because Mike Brown doesn't want to cough up the dough for players who are actually good.

Redsfaithful
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Maulauga is singlehandedly making things really hard on that defense. It's amazing the number of plays that blow up because he misses an easy tackle or he can't get off his blocker. They have to make a change.

5TimeWSChamps
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Maulauga is singlehandedly making things really hard on that defense. It's amazing the number of plays that blow up because he misses an easy tackle or he can't get off his blocker. They have to make a change.

He's also terrible in coverage

Todd Gack
09-19-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been saying since Day 1 that Rey is terrible. A Top 10 pick doesn't drop to the 2nd round for no reason.

wolfboy
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Amen.

Oxilon
09-21-2012, 01:38 AM

Kirkpatrick is 180 lbs if that. His future is on the IR unless he adds 20 lbs to that frame.

Ohayou
09-23-2012, 02:07 PM
LOL. Sanu to Green, 73 yard TD.

Redsfan320
09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
God. Pick6. He caught it in the endzone.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Jay Gruden calling a heck of a game

Joseph
09-23-2012, 02:57 PM
1/2 on 'trick' plays, not bad. D needs to keep up the pressure.

Stray
09-23-2012, 03:04 PM
That pick was bad but Dalton looks good today.

Stray
09-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Good 1st half, defense is getting pressure on RG3 and playing much better. I loved the fake fg call, had Peko made his block Huber would have walked in. It almost looked like Peko missed the fake call to be honest. Love the creative play calls on offense, too.

Playadlc
09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Atkins is so freakin' good.

SeeinRed
09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
As good as the first half was for the Bengals, they are about to give it all back in the first two drives of the second half. The defense has seemingly checked out for the second half.

dougdirt
09-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Our defense can't tackle and we can't run the ball. Not ideal.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
This defense is reprehensible

Ohayou
09-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Rough day for The Law Firm.

Stray
09-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I've seen better 3rd quarters...

UKFlounder
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
A decent career backup forced into a role he's unqualified for. Then again, he is slow and incapable of making big plays, just the kind of back Marvin loves (see Benson, Cedric).

It's just amazing that with so many picks in last year's draft they totally ignored the RB position. At some point, you need some speed and elusiveness back there

Rough day for The Law Firm.

dougdirt
09-23-2012, 04:38 PM
AJ Green is really, really, really, really good.

UKFlounder
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
And Andy Dalton is proving to be (at least) very solid too. That 2011 1st round - wow.

Really nice comeback for them to go ahead after blowing the 14 point lead. That shows some maturity and competitiveness. They did not roll over as I suspected they might

AJ Green is really, really, really, really good.

Stray
09-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I love the adjustment to the triple option. If they're gonna run that offense send someone to hit RG3 every time. We may give up some yards but they won't risk it for too long.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Dalton is locked in right now

cincrazy
09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Dalton has shut me up. I was very concerned about a slump for him this year, but so far he's looked even better than last year.

The D, however, is worse than I could have imagined. The D-line still makes plays, but the linebackers and secondary are horrid.

cincrazy
09-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow what a pass to Hawkins! This offense has looked great so far. Can't remember the last time the Bengals had this much quality depth at the WR position.

Stray
09-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Dalton is locked in. Hawkins just took one to the house...up 14 now.

SeeinRed
09-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Wow what a pass to Hawkins! This offense has looked great so far. Can't remember the last time the Bengals had this much quality depth at the WR position.

I love how Hawkins and Binns have played so far this year. They have done more than enough to keep the opposing defenses honest when covering AJ Green. If the Bengals ever get a consistent run game, this offense will be very dangerous.

The defense is questionable at best right now. There are plenty of problems, but one thing that just drives me nuts is the lack of tackling. It seems to be a consistent problem for this defense.

Stray
09-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Embarrassing end for the replacement refs. They had no idea what was going on.

Nice road win.

UKFlounder
09-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Pretty bad for Terrance Newman as well with penalty, but the whole final minute was a big cluster

Nice road win.

KoryMac5
09-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Great win by the Bengals, never easy to go into Washington and pick up a win. Looks like the Bengals will have to morph into the San Diego Chargers of the late 70's early 80's to get some wins.

moewan
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Nice road win.

That was embarrising, those calls weren't even judgement calls.

Redhook
09-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I miss Bob Bratkowski :D. Just try and imagine where this team would be if he was still calling the plays. Watching this current offense with Gruden is fun and unpredictable.

On the flip side, this defense is abysmal. Unless they get lucky and force a lot of turnovers, they won't beat any 'good' teams this year.

If I was Marvin, I'd let go of Terrence Newman for those two plays. How does an NFL player make two plays that bad? He has to go.

Malaluga might be the worst linebacker I've ever seen. He's slow, he can't tackle, and he seems to have a knack for being in the wrong spot all the time. Maybe if he did the opposite of what he thought was right he'd be pretty good? I don't know, but he is really hurting the defense.

Sea Ray
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
That was embarrising, those calls weren't even judgement calls.

Has that 4th timout been addressed? The ref announced the 10s runoff and then let the game resume without the clock being changed. He never made another announcement that he'd changed his call nor did I see Marvin throwing a fit, so what exactly happened there? Did the ref just not know the rules? Even with a 10s runoff the Redskins were getting a break as they could not have run another play that quickly

The Bengals won this game even though they:

-threw a pick 6 on the road
-lost the turnover battle
-couldn't run the ball

Forget the mantra that you can't be good in the NFL if you can't run the ball. It's a luxury to be able to run the ball. There have been a lot of good teams recently that don't run. The recent championships from NE, Pitt and GB all came from teams with very little running game.

medford
09-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Sea Ray,

The announcers stated that the Refs gaved the Redskins the 4th timeout b/c the player was injuried. They didn't dive any deeper into it (if the shield sent a memo to the teams, you can bet your sweet hind end they sent a memo to CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN to back off the refs) acting like it was perfectly w/n the rule. As far as I know, that is exactly why the rule was created. Of course things change, I didn't realize until last weekend that in college touchbacks on kickoffs are brought out to the 25 now, so perhaps that rule was changed. I don't know, I would have thought Marvin would have been more vocal about it.

But while we're on the subject of "rule changes" have they changed the rule about touching a football after the oppossing team touches it in specific regards to the Terrance Newman play on the punt down by the goal line. IIRC, the rule stated that once the oppossing team touches the football, it doesn't matter what the recieving team does, they can't turn it over, ie, the redskins could have batted the ball out to the 5, Newman could have picked up the ball and returned it 20 yards before fumbling, it still would have been the Bengals ball (where exactly I'm not sure). Now perhaps that rule has changed, but its in place to prevent a team from slapping the ball at the opponent who is 5 yards away and created contact and a chance at a turnover. Neither announcer appeared to be aware of this rule, and what Newman did was actually very smart, assuming the rule was in place. Instead of potentiall being down at the 1, he could have got it out to the 5 had he fielded it cleanly. Had the Redskins got hold of the ball after he touched it, it still would have been the Bengals ball at whatever spot the Redskins first touched the ball.

Sea Ray
09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Sea Ray,

The announcers stated that the Refs gaved the Redskins the 4th timeout b/c the player was injuried. They didn't dive any deeper into it (if the shield sent a memo to the teams, you can bet your sweet hind end they sent a memo to CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN to back off the refs) acting like it was perfectly w/n the rule. As far as I know, that is exactly why the rule was created. Of course things change, I didn't realize until last weekend that in college touchbacks on kickoffs are brought out to the 25 now, so perhaps that rule was changed. I don't know, I would have thought Marvin would have been more vocal about it.

But while we're on the subject of "rule changes" have they changed the rule about touching a football after the oppossing team touches it in specific regards to the Terrance Newman play on the punt down by the goal line. IIRC, the rule stated that once the oppossing team touches the football, it doesn't matter what the recieving team does, they can't turn it over, ie, the redskins could have batted the ball out to the 5, Newman could have picked up the ball and returned it 20 yards before fumbling, it still would have been the Bengals ball (where exactly I'm not sure). Now perhaps that rule has changed, but its in place to prevent a team from slapping the ball at the opponent who is 5 yards away and created contact and a chance at a turnover. Neither announcer appeared to be aware of this rule, and what Newman did was actually very smart, assuming the rule was in place. Instead of potentiall being down at the 1, he could have got it out to the 5 had he fielded it cleanly. Had the Redskins got hold of the ball after he touched it, it still would have been the Bengals ball at whatever spot the Redskins first touched the ball.

I thought the way that the announcers talked about that special teams play was pittiful and was the capper on an awful day for Wilcotts and his partner. They came across as clueless idiots for not knowing that rule of "illegal touching". Newman had everything to gain and nothing to lose and NFL announcers, especially guys who played the game, should have known that.

In regards to the injury TO, why didn't the refs explain it to us? Now we're left to wonder about the call and the rulebook. I'm under the impression that the 10s runoff is the correct call. I have no idea why they didn't enforce it. If anyone hears something else, please post it here

bucksfan2
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Its my understanding that once a ball is touched by the punting team the receiving team can do no worse than that spot. If a ball is touched at the 5 and then downed at the 1 the receiving team gets the ball at the 5. If the ball is touched at the one then rolls into the endzone the team gets the ball at the 20. I have seen before where team goes to down the ball and someone picks it up and returns it for positive yardage. It irritated me that he announcers did not know the rule when they were hammering Newman. Had Ed Reed attempted to do it they may have realized the rule then went on to talk about how great of a player he is.

IMO its similar to a FG attempt. Once the ball crosses over the line the defensive team gets the ball no worse than the spot of the kick. If the kick is blocked or caught in the endzone I believe the defense can return it as can do no worse than the spot of the kick.

Sea Ray
09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Look this over and tell me if I'm reading this correctly.

Digest of Rules Main

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half
On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)
A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.
If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.
Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal

It seems to me that the bolded part would apply to what happened in the game with 1:07 left when a Redskin player was injured. So it seems to me that the ref should have run off 10 seconds. Anybody read it differently?

medford
09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
I think you're correct. What I believe it says, you get the time out, including all priledges that area ssociated with it (like meetting w/ the coaches over on the sidelines for a predetermined # of seconds before the play clock is started), however 10 seconds will be run off the clock before the next play can happen.

Under the 5th TO scenerio, the TO and all of its benefits are allowed for an injury, however you get a 5 yard penalty, plus the 10 second run off if the clock was live.

Ohayou
09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
A decent career backup forced into a role he's unqualified for. Then again, he is slow and incapable of making big plays, just the kind of back Marvin loves (see Benson, Cedric).

It's just amazing that with so many picks in last year's draft they totally ignored the RB position. At some point, you need some speed and elusiveness back there

He's still better than Benson. For crying out loud, the guy fumbled 12 times in 2 years...but that's beside the point. Having a below average O-line doesn't exactly contribute to the running game.

I do agree with you, though. They should have drafted another RB. LaMichael James would have been a good fit for the RBBC. I don't understand why they continue to give Scott touches. Leonard and Peerman are both better options. In fact, it really bothers me how little they utilize Leonard. Meh. They have two 2nd rounders next year. Andre Ellington, maybe?

Hoosier Red
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
He's still better than Benson. For crying out loud, the guy fumbled 12 times in 2 years...but that's beside the point. Having a below average O-line doesn't exactly contribute to the running game.

I do agree with you, though. They should have drafted another RB. LaMichael James would have been a good fit for the RBBC. I don't understand why they continue to give Scott touches. Leonard and Peerman are both better options. In fact, it really bothers me how little they utilize Leonard. Meh. They have two 2nd rounders next year. Andre Ellington, maybe?

I think Marvin unwittingly fell into being ahead of the curve in terms of offense. He basically attempted to build based on the early 2000's Ravens & Steelers model of "big back grounds and pounds while QB makes enough big plays to keep defense honest." But as the game has shifted for the last few years, it's now beneficial to have a QB with a lot of options to spread out the defense and a big back to pound inside and keep defenses honest. They don't really need a playmaker at RB as there's only one football. But having a guy who can consistently get the tough 2-3 yards inside will benefit Dalton, Green, & Co immensely.

LoganBuck
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I think Marvin unwittingly fell into being ahead of the curve in terms of offense. He basically attempted to build based on the early 2000's Ravens & Steelers model of "big back grounds and pounds while QB makes enough big plays to keep defense honest." But as the game has shifted for the last few years, it's now beneficial to have a QB with a lot of options to spread out the defense and a big back to pound inside and keep defenses honest. They don't really need a playmaker at RB as there's only one football. But having a guy who can consistently get the tough 2-3 yards inside will benefit Dalton, Green, & Co immensely.

I agree with this, but with one caveat, there should be a pass catching RB option with big play potential. Someone like James, or even a Chris Rainey would make for an added element to the passing game. As it stands now Brian Leonard is the pass catching RB option.

RichRed
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
In addition to everything else, the refs marked off 20 yards against the Skins on the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end.

Nice win for the Bengals but the Skins pass defense is atrocious, having been lit up for three consecutive weeks now (Brees, Bradford, Dalton). I think Shanahan and Haslett are living in the past, when being able to stop the run was enough. I don't know how DeAngelo Hall still has a job, just for example.

I hope RGIII survives his rookie season. Man, is he taking some hits.

The Bengals are kind of my second team (behind the Skins), since I know so many Bengals fans are also fellow Reds fans. So, congrats guys!

OesterPoster
09-24-2012, 05:56 PM
You guys are right. Officials screwed up (go figure).

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy

League spokesman says a 10-second runoff should have been applied on the Redskins injury with 1:07 remaining.

OesterPoster
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Wow, so they also admitted to screwing up the spot on the false start/unsportsmanlike penalties. They moved the ball back 5 yards too many, this time in favor of the Bengals.

NFL acknowledges officiating errors in Bengals-Redskins game

By Jay Morrison | Monday, September 24, 2012, 04:45 PM

An NFL official confirmed Monday that the referees in Sunday’s Bengals-Redskins game made two errors in the final 67 seconds.

The first came with the clock running and less than two minutes remaining in the game when Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III completed a 12-yard pass to wide receiver Leonard Hankerson. Hankerson was injured on the play, and so the clock was stopped with 1:07 remaining.

Below is the e-mail response from Michael Signora, Vice President of Football Communications National Football League.

Rule 4, Section 5, Article 4 (f) of the NFL Rule Book states: “If an excess team timeout is charged against a team in possession of the ball, and time is in when the excess timeout is called, the ball shall not be put in play until the time on the game clock has been reduced by 10 seconds, if the defense so chooses.”

Because Washington had used all three of its timeouts, a 10-second runoff should have been applied in this situation. The clock should have been set at 0:57 and started on the referee’s ready for play signal.

With the clock running and under one minute remaining in the game, Washington spiked the ball to stop the clock. That resulted in a 3rd and 25 from the Cincinnati 34 with seven seconds remaining. The clock was stopped at this point because of the incomplete pass on the previous play, i.e. the spike. The Redskins were then penalized for a false start. Because the clock was stopped, there is no 10-second runoff in this situation. It was properly officiated.

In addition to the five yard penalty for the false start, which would have taken the ball from the Cincinnati 34 to the Cincinnati 39, Washington was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. A penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is 15 yards. From the Cincinnati 39, the ball should have then been spotted at the Washington 46. Instead, the ball was incorrectly spotted at the Washington 41, a difference of five yards.

Sea Ray
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Now that that's settled, I wonder if we'll ever learn why the officials let the game continue without a 10s runoff being enforced. They made the right call but let the game continue anyway. You can't tell me the officials weren't watching every second tick off at that point. Everyone else in the stadium was. I'd also like to know if Marvin argued to them about it. It didn't seem like he did. He should have insisted that 10s run off

LoganBuck
09-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Now that that's settled, I wonder if we'll ever learn why the officials let the game continue without a 10s runoff being enforced. They made the right call but let the game continue anyway. You can't tell me the officials weren't watching every second tick off at that point. Everyone else in the stadium was. I'd also like to know if Marvin argued to them about it. It didn't seem like he did. He should have insisted that 10s run off

He was pointing and yelling.

Sea Ray
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Let's hear it for Michael Johnson AFC Player of the Week!

:clap:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/55402/bengals-johnson-named-afc-player-of-week

Sea Ray
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh joy. Things have gotten so bad in the Bengals secondary that they've re-signed Chris Crocker:

http://stripehype.com/2012/09/27/bengals-sign-chris-crocker/

sonny
09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh joy. Things have gotten so bad in the Bengals secondary that they've re-signed Chris Crocker:

http://stripehype.com/2012/09/27/bengals-sign-chris-crocker/

Well I don't know about you, but I'm off to print my Super Bowl tickets!

bucksfan2
09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Moves like this happen during the course of a football season. Hopefully Crocker doesn't see the field much if at all. The one nice, if you want to call it that, thing is he knows the defensive system and won't be out of position because of that. Now his ability or lack there of will be on full display if he sees the field.

KoryMac5
09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
No problem with Crocker at all. Played on a bum knee for a yr and a half, got it fixed and stayed in shape. I expect him to be better than he was vs. the Texans. Plus he knows the D really well. We may be pleasently surprised by him. It can't get worse than it is now!

5TimeWSChamps
09-29-2012, 10:07 AM
If there was ever a game to be down to 2 healthy corners...It's the game against Blaine Gabbert

dougdirt
09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Never fumbles....

RiverRat13
09-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Never fumbles....

Yeah, that felt like a potential early dagger if they punch in that one. Not sure why he tried to dive in when he moves the pile as well as he does.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
So glad Marvin drafted that running back in the first couple of rounds, oh wait they didn't.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Few guys faster than Hawkins in space. He's scary quick!

RiverRat13
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
So glad Marvin drafted that running back in the first couple of rounds, oh wait they didn't.

The Lawfirm is still a big upgrade to what they had last year.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Calvin Johnson is still the man, but AJ Green is moving awfully close to that spot.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
The Lawfirm is still a big upgrade to what they had last year.

I like the Lawfirm but he's a straight ahead guy who looks for contact, much rather have a guy with some burst. Bengals need to start thinking about getting that guy through the draft. RB has been neglected by this team for awhile.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:37 PM
#55 if he keeps his head on straight will be a good one. Great instincts by him today.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Time to salt this one away, no need to risk injury.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Another fumble by Lawfirm too, he was able to recover.

dougdirt
09-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I like the Lawfirm but he's a straight ahead guy who looks for contact, much rather have a guy with some burst. Bengals need to start thinking about getting that guy through the draft. RB has been neglected by this team for awhile.

He has one rush in his NFL career over 29 yards. Says all you need to know about him.

Stray
09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
3-1...not too shabby. Gotta keep it rolling against the Dolphins next week.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Jags aren't great but Zimmer with a nice game to stop MJD. Having Dunlap healthy makes a huge difference.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 08:05 PM

Yeah

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Miami looks really good today could be a shootout!

Reds Freak
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I think the running back thing is a bit overrated. They're becoming a dime a dozen. Can you name me any stud RBs on a good team who are consistently healthy? Ray Rice is the only name I can come up with.

Wonderful Monds
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I think the running back thing is a bit overrated. They're becoming a dime a dozen. Can you name me any stud RBs on a good team who are consistently healthy? Ray Rice is the only name I can come up with.

Why does it matter if they're on a good team? It's not Adrian Peterson or Darren McFadden's fault the Vikings or Raiders have sucked.

Peterson, McFadden, MJD, and Ray Rice backs definitely aren't a dime a dozen.

Tony Cloninger
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I think the need for an old fashion RB....like the 70's and 80's.....is no longer needed. You just need a serviceable back.....which is what the Law Firm is, without the moaning and groaning about getting more carries.

KoryMac5
09-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Lawfirm is averaging 3.6 yds per carry, I would call that below average and I hope the Bengals look to shore up this position with someone younger and quicker then Benjarvis Green Ellis.

Joseph
09-30-2012, 11:08 PM
It's the extra last name that slows him down.

LoganBuck
09-30-2012, 11:21 PM

I think they were going to draft a RB this year, but the draft didn't fall that way. It always seemed like the RB that was slotted for them in each round got picked a little early. The Bengals wound up with some darn good players this year. So far Zeitler has been very good, you don't even notice him out there, which is the ultimate complement for a rookie offensive linemen. Still and Thompson have done some nice things when they have got there chances. Thompson was pushing the pocket today. Sanu, Charles, and Jones show plenty of promise. Vontaze Burfict is a steal. We haven't even seen Kirkpatrick yet.

They did take Boom Herron in the sixth round, and I felt he was a major disappointment in training camp. As a Buckeye fan I thought he had some potential. But he looked lost. He is on the practice squad

Reds Freak
10-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Why does it matter if they're on a good team? It's not Adrian Peterson or Darren McFadden's fault the Vikings or Raiders have sucked.

Peterson, McFadden, MJD, and Ray Rice backs definitely aren't a dime a dozen.

I'd prefer the NFL team I root for to win. I could care less how many yards my team's RB averages if they go 5-11 every year. You win in the NFL by throwing the football and getting pressure on the opposing quarterback. The Bengals are averaging 28 points a game with very little running game.

Think about the Super Bowl winners the past several years. Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Colts, etc. Who were their RBs? Didn't really matter all that much...

GAC
10-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Does anyone listen to Mike & Mike? About a week ago I was listening to Golic (ex-Brown) and he nailed it.... "How is it the Bengals seem to be able to find good receivers, but the Browns can't?" The Bengals, other then AJ, basically gut their receiving corp and bring in another group that looks even better."

So true. AJ is something else, but I love the "little guy" Hawkins. You get the ball in his hands and look out!

Meanwhile, we got stone hands up in Cleveland. You have to go to the Brown's HOF to find a good receiver.

Congrats, and solid win Bengal fans. :thumbup:

wolfboy
10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Does anyone listen to Mike & Mike? About a week ago I was listening to Golic (ex-Brown) and he nailed it.... "How is it the Bengals seem to be able to find good receivers, but the Browns can't?" The Bengals, other then AJ, basically gut their receiving corp and bring in another group that looks even better."

So true. AJ is something else, but I love the "little guy" Hawkins. You get the ball in his hands and look out!

Meanwhile, we got stone hands up in Cleveland. You have to go to the Brown's HOF to find a good receiver.

I watched that Browns game on Thursday, and I can't count the number of darts Weeden's receivers dropped. If Cleveland ever gets that guy even one decent target, watch out.

Hoosier Red
10-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I'd prefer the NFL team I root for to win. I could care less how many yards my team's RB averages if they go 5-11 every year. You win in the NFL by throwing the football and getting pressure on the opposing quarterback. The Bengals are averaging 28 points a game with very little running game.

Think about the Super Bowl winners the past several years. Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Colts, etc. Who were their RBs? Didn't really matter all that much...

The other problem with running back is they are a bit like relief pitchers and hockey goalies. When they're good, they're very useful. But its way too hard to tell ahead of time who's going to be good and who's going to disappoint that it rarely makes sense to shell out big bucks for a running back.

The difference is that unlike relief pitchers and hockey goalies, you can win without a top notch running game.

medford
10-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I know Golic grew up in Cleveland, but did he ever actually play for the Browns? Houston, Philly & Miami (for a spell, if he made the team) I know, if he ever played for the Browns it was for a spell, he's definently not thought of as a former Brown, however I'll assume he grew up rooting for them and they reserve some sort of spot in his heart.

Non the less, what he said is very true. I remember at the start of the season and thru last season all the talk of Armin Binns and how either Tate or Binns were lined up to start opposite of Green and couldn't believe they were actually taking that route. Hard not to be impressed with this collection of recievers, not to mention how Dalton spreads the ball around.

traderumor
10-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Congrats, and solid win Bengal fans. :thumbup:Yea, the receivers was my question mark going into the season, but they are actually a strength. I love that they have one of the little jitter bug receivers that drive NFL D's crazy. It seems like they have better personnel for Gruden's offense this year.

Yesterday was an impressive win. You dominate any team in the NFL in their home stadium, you're playing good football. Anxious to see if they can take care of business up through the bye week, where they have three winnable games and could head in 6-1.

Sea Ray
10-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Jay Gruden in an interview on a local radio station last week said that he wouldn't trade the Bengals WR corp for any in the league. He also thought Dalton was underrated

TeamSelig
10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/180qxb8sm08svgif/original.gif

medford
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Simple Rule:

Defensive linemen should be banned from performing any kind of celebration at any point in time. Has there ever been a good celebration from a defensive lineman?

dougdirt
10-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Simple Rule:

Defensive linemen should be banned from performing any kind of celebration at any point in time. Has there ever been a good celebration from a defensive lineman?

All of them are. Why? Because they follow good plays by defensive lineman.

LoganBuck
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM

The exception being, is the guy who roughs the passer, doesn't know it, and then celebrates.

medford
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM

The good play by the defensive lineman is much appreciated. The terrible, no make that beyond terrible dances I continue to see by defensive lineman following sack are just dreadful. Case in point, the dance Peko brought out in yesterday's game.

KoryMac5
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
The good play by the defensive lineman is much appreciated. The terrible, no make that beyond terrible dances I continue to see by defensive lineman following sack are just dreadful. Case in point, the dance Peko brought out in yesterday's game.

I am not going to hate on Peko because his kids like Korean Rap. As long as he is having fun and the team is having fun, I'm cool with it. If they were down by 20 than I have a problem.

wolfboy
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/180qxb8sm08svgif/original.gif

Chunk: I just saw the most amazing thing in my entire life!
Mouth: First you gotta do the truffle shuffle.