PDA

View Full Version : Man I Would Love To Get Some Separation

redssince75
07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
The winning streak is awesome, especially with Votto. But the "last 10" in the standings has us at 9-1, Pirates at 8-2, Cardinals at 7-3. So the 9-game win streak has picked us up 1 game on Pittsburgh and 2 on St. Louis. I wish it was a lot more than that...this can't last forever.

Just hope that by the same token, their winning ways can't last forever, either.

Tom Servo
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Sure it'd be great, but we have no control over the Pirates. Reds just gotta take care of business.

RedlegJake
07-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Look at it this way though. Had the Reds not gone a that streak now they'd have likely lost a lot of ground! So its frustrating but it comes at the right time because the Pirates and Cards will cool off - no one plays .800 ball for long. So as the Reds cool off so will the opposition. The Reds just have to cool off a bit less than they do. And we have Votto coming back!

Nathan
07-29-2012, 02:19 AM
At least we aren't Pirates fans. "Man, the Pirates have gone 8-2 in the last ten games and still lost ground!"

07-29-2012, 02:27 AM
The two teams have similar schedules, many games against some below .500 teams. I'm guessing the only separation will occur when the teams play each other.

WVRedsFan
07-29-2012, 02:36 AM
The two teams have similar schedules, many games against some below .500 teams. I'm guessing the only separation will occur when the teams play each other.

True. That makes next weekend so important. Hope our guys know that.

oregonred
07-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Reds now on pace to win 97 games. Just keep winning, no complaints...

What an amazing 9 days. A week ago at 3pm on Thursday we were looking at ten over .500 (51-41) and losing 3 of 4 to the D-Backs with Votto on the shelf. Then the comeback of the year from down 6-0 and now the current 9-game run and a 60-40 record.

The top of the NL has had a very good stretch with all of the top teams at 7-3 or better except the Giants at 5-5. The 2nd wildcard is now at 12 over .500 with the Braves.

Giants looked ready to separate but have slipped and now the Dodgers (1 back) and D-Backs (4.5 back) are back in the NL West mix - but likely not the WC mix.

oregonred
07-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Another way to look at it, assuming the Pirates were leading the NL Central, would be that the Reds are now four up for the first wildcard and six up for the 2nd wildcard as the Dodgers are 8 over .500 and the Cards are 7 over .500. (Nats, Braves, Giants, Pirates)

Phhhl
07-29-2012, 02:58 AM
It is ebb and flow. That everything is flowing right now for all three teams... we should just be happy the Reds are keeping up (actually more than keeping up). There are a TON of deadbeat teams on the schedule for everyone involved the remainder of the season, so I think we better get used to what has been going on. The Pirates are not going away no matter what, and Cardinals are just a week of excellent baseball from being all up in our grill too.

I have been finding comfort in looking past the division and how well the Reds are doing against the rest of the league during this phenomenal stretch. How far ahead of the other wild card candidates are we? The Dodgers are out of the playoffs right now at 55-47. St. Louis is behind LA at 54-47. So, the good guys have a 6 game edge on AT LEAST a play-in opportunity, with the best deadline acquisition on the horizon when Joey Votto comes off the disabled list. The Reds right now are in excellent position, even if the Pirates turn out to be the second coming of the '69 Mets.

They should have all the confidence in the world going against the Pirates next weekend. Only complete dominance by Pittsburgh in the 9 games remaining against them should threaten the Reds' chances of making the postseason... something like 2-7. If that happens, we deserve to be beaten.

Personally, I think the Dodgers stole the NL West when they acquired Ramirez last week. So, it is probably a good idea to root against the Giants the remainder of the season, if we are dead set on looking at others to do our dirty deeds.