PDA

View Full Version : Sunday July 29 Minor League Updates

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 02:59 PM
The Dragons started at 1 and are up 2-1 after 2.5 innings.

Yorman Rodriguez is 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI. Ryan Wright and Kyle Waldrop are each 1-1.

Everyone else plays later in the day.

Edd Roush
07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Dragons still up 2-1 after 3.5.

mace
07-29-2012, 03:19 PM
The Dragons started at 1 and are up 2-1 after 2.5 innings.

Yorman Rodriguez is 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI. Ryan Wright and Kyle Waldrop are each 1-1.

Everyone else plays later in the day.

Waldrop seems to be taking a steady course toward the big leagues. As a 20-year-old, left-handed, athletic, 6-foot-3 outfielder, he entered the day with an .815 OPS for the month of July. He seldom seems to put up the monster games that bring immediate attention, but he keeps producing enough extra-base hits to solidify and maybe enhance his prospect status. I like the guy. As intriguing as Lutz is, you could make a case for Waldrop as the best pure outfield prospect in the system. (That said, you could also make a case for LaMarre, Yorman, possibly even Gelalich, Bryson Smith or Bill Hamilton. I'm just putting Waldrop in the photo.)

Edd Roush
07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Gerson gets through the fourth without allowing a run. 2-1 Dragons after four.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Waldrop seems to be taking a steady course toward the big leagues. As a 20-year-old, left-handed, athletic, 6-foot-3 outfielder, he entered the day with an .815 OPS for the month of July. He seldom seems to put up the monster games that bring immediate attention, but he keeps producing enough extra-base hits to solidify and maybe enhance his prospect status. I like the guy. As intriguing as Lutz is, you could make a case for Waldrop as the best pure outfield prospect in the system. (That said, you could also make a case for LaMarre, Yorman, possibly even Gelalich, Bryson Smith or Bill Hamilton. I'm just putting Waldrop in the photo.)

I wouldn't put Waldrop in that group yet. Nor would I put Smith in there. Waldrop is intriguing though.

Edd Roush
07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Dragons don't score in the top of the 5th. Still 2-1 Dragons after 4.5.

Edd Roush
07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Despite giving up two two-out singles, Gerson doesn't allow a run in the fifth. Dragons remain up 2-1 after 5.

TOBTTReds
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't put Waldrop in that group yet. Nor would I put Smith in there. Waldrop is intriguing though.

I'm trying to figure out Smith. Each time I see an affiliate, he's not playing. He screams org guy, but man, he just hasn't stopped hitting. I see him as that org guy that eventually makes it to AAA, hits there too, then makes it as a 25th man for stints here and there.

Benihana
07-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Two words: Jesse Winker

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm trying to figure out Smith. Each time I see an affiliate, he's not playing. He screams org guy, but man, he just hasn't stopped hitting. I see him as that org guy that eventually makes it to AAA, hits there too, then makes it as a 25th man for stints here and there.

I am trying to figure it out too. Pensacola is the first non-launching pad he has played in so far, so I am waiting to see how he does there over a larger sample size. Not much power and iffy plate discipline leaves open plenty of questions. Career BABIP is over .360 as well.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Didi Gregorius singled in the first for Louisville. 9 game hitting streak. Hitting .324 for the Bats.

mace
07-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Two words: Jesse Winker

Good point. I neglected him. It might be a little early to put him in that company; but then again, it might be foolish not to. He's definitely in the discussion.

mace
07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Gerson's good effort was wasted in a 4-3 Dayton loss. Ryan Kemp took the lumps. Ryan Wright had two hits, Spencer Dickinson had three walks.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Didi Gregorius just cracked a home run for the Bats. What makes it better is that there was a split screen going on with the local fire department being interviewed just outside of the stadium. Didi almost hit them with his home run.

mace
07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Didi Gregorius just cracked a home run for the Bats.

It's becoming almost a Theo Bowe kind of thing. Bowe couldn't buy a base hit in Dayton, then goes to Bakersfield and tears up High-A. Gregorius showed no power in Pensacola, but comes out blasting in Triple-A. Go figure.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 07:54 PM
It's becoming almost a Theo Bowe kind of thing. Bowe couldn't buy a base hit in Dayton, then goes to Bakersfield and tears up High-A. Gregorius showed no power in Pensacola, but comes out blasting in Triple-A. Go figure.

Well, the difference is, you can't really luck into hitting home runs. You can luck into some base hits.

mace
07-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Billings leads 5-3 after eight. Brandon Dailey and Matt Lentz each has two hits.

Drew Cisco with his second straight excellent start: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.

dougdirt
07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Also, Seth Mejias-Brean now has a 15 game hitting streak for Billings.

mace
07-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Alejandro Chacin throws 2.1 late innings and Sean Lucas gets the final out as Billings wins 5-3.

I rarely mention the other team's losing pitcher, but then, not many of them are named Damien Magnifico.

mace
07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Cody Puckett's 2-run HR gives Louisville a 3-0 lead in the ninth.

Chad Reineke's excellent line: 7.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.

mace
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Hoover lost the shutout--in spite of giving up no hits and only one walk in 1.2 IP--but saved the game. Final 3-1 Bats.

fearofpopvol1
07-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Well, the difference is, you can't really luck into hitting home runs. You can luck into some base hits.

What would you call Ryan Freel homering off of Greg Maddux?

dougdirt
07-30-2012, 12:16 AM
What would you call Ryan Freel homering off of Greg Maddux?

A bad pitch by Maddux.

The DARK
07-30-2012, 12:27 AM

Also, you can luck into good stats in Bakersfield with a decent wind and terrible field. The International League is very much a pitcher's league... power stats there are generally for real.