PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Format Question

Votto4MVP
07-29-2012, 05:41 PM
The way it used to be, with 4 playoff teams, the wildcard team couldnt play the division champion from their division in the first round.

With the new format of having two wildcard teams playing each other, is it still the same for whoever wins that game or is it now just set up that the number 1 seed will play the wildcard winner no matter what? IE lets say we win the division and are the number 1 seed, Pittsburgh and ATL win the wildcard and pittsburgh wins that 1 game playoff. Do we play pittsburgh or would we play the worst division champion like it was before this year?

Also, what was the logic behind switching the format of the divisional series to have the first two games hosted by the lower seed? Seems kind of unfair to me.

The Rage
07-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Basically, it splits the wild card and forces them to play another game before the divisional series.

Votto4MVP
07-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Basically, it splits the wild card and forces them to play another game before the divisional series.

Thanks but it doesnt really answer my question...

Is it still set up the same way where the winner of the WC game still cant play a team from its division in the first round?

Also, why did they change it so the lower seed hosts the first two games of the NLDS?

The Rage
07-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Is it still set up the same way where the winner of the WC game still cant play a team from its division in the first round?

Also, why did they change it so the lower seed hosts the first two games of the NLDS?

Yeah, all "old" rules apply. So lets say the Pirates/Cards play the wild card game and the Reds ended up with the NL's best record, they would play the divisional champ with the 2nd best record.

ervinsm84
07-29-2012, 07:01 PM

This link should answer any postseason questions you may have.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7637317/mlb-new-postseason-plan

It looks like the main reason for changing the divisional round to the 2-3 format from the 2-2-1 was bc they didnt want the extra travel days bc they've added the extra wild card round.

Votto4MVP
07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
This link should answer any postseason questions you may have.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7637317/mlb-new-postseason-plan

It looks like the main reason for changing the divisional round to the 2-3 format from the 2-2-1 was bc they didnt want the extra travel days bc they've added the extra wild card round.

Meanwhile, say the Reds win 103 games and take the No. 1 seed. Their "reward" would be to go almost two weeks without a home game. They'd finish the regular season in Pittsburgh and St. Louis. Then they'd be forced to open the postseason with two games in Arizona. And we're guessing they wouldn't be real happy about it.