PDA

View Full Version : What about a starting pitcher?

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I am starting to think that the player that Walt is really looking for is a starting pitcher. Doc mentioned in his blog that the Reds made an offer for Grienke and have at least talked to the Cubs about Dempster. Other pitchers that may be available are Cliff Lee and Josh Johnson.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Outside of Cueto, who is a real post-season pitcher of the starting 5?

Also, what is wrong with Josh Johnson this season? Is there a reason that his numbers are down?

P.E.R#14
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I think you shop anything that's available. Our pitching staff is deep and could be the focus of the other teams' side of a trade. Therefore if you're giving up pitching to get offense, it's a good idea to have some pitchers in mind that we could pick up if a deal goes down and it's necessary. I wouldn't be happy if we gave up offense or minor league talent for just a pitcher though.

brm7675
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Okay say Reds get a starting pitcher, who gets removed from the rotation?

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Okay say Reds get a starting pitcher, who gets removed from the rotation?

I think the idea is to trade for a pitcher good enough to pitch in the post-season. Like Josh Johnson. In which case, you include Leake or Bailey in the deal.

Cliff Lee is having a down year, is 33, and is owed another $95 million through 2015. So he has negative trade value. The Phillies would have to pay a team to take his contract.

R_Webb18
07-30-2012, 02:08 PM
i don't think there looking for a starter to take someone place but just incase someone gets hurt. unless there trying to move 1 of ours for a bat

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
i don't think there looking for a starter to take someone place but just incase someone gets hurt. unless there trying to move 1 of ours for a bat

Then why was Walt sniffing around Grienke and Dempster? I'm pretty sure they would clear a spot in the rotation for those guys.

sdwagers
07-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Then why was Walt sniffing around Grienke and Dempster? I'm pretty sure they would clear a spot in the rotation for those guys.

I doubt Walt was interested in Dempster, but Greinke is like a nice sports car - you have to kick the tires at least.