PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs

EMAW
07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Co NL player of the week

P.E.R#14
07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately GM's are too intelligent for this to be useful as the trade deadline approaches!

Ironman92
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Drew Gehrig

EMAW
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Hate him as you do, he plays gold glove caliber defense, is on a pace to hit 20 homers and steal 35 bases

The DARK
07-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Hate him as you do, he plays gold glove caliber defense, is on a pace to hit 20 homers and steal 35 bases

Maybe not gold glove (advanced peripherals have always hated him), but solid defense in a somewhat premium position in a 20/30 player has value. He may never reach his ceiling with us, but selling him low as many had suggested would have been foolish.

Ironman92
07-31-2012, 02:00 AM

My son's favorite Reds player. He wore his Stubbs t-shirt tonight. Nice oppo HR and very nice catch in the gap. You're so defensive.

Jamz
07-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Historically his best months are August and September so the best is yet to come!

P.E.R#14
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM

Stubbs' defense is highly overrated if you ask me. His fielding percentage will only be high because his arm isn't strong enough to throw past a cut-off man and he will get very few fielding errors because he doesn't dive for anything. If he can't run it down, he's not catching it. Fielding percentages can be deceiving. This is one example. Stubbs should never win a gold glove and I'm willing to bet anyone who played CF would agree.

But thanks for hitting the crap out of the ball for the last week!!

Go Reds!

Jamz
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Stubbs' defense is highly overrated if you ask me. His fielding percentage will only be high because his arm isn't strong enough to throw past a cut-off man and he will get very few fielding errors because he doesn't dive for anything. If he can't run it down, he's not catching it. Fielding percentages can be deceiving. This is one example. Stubbs should never win a gold glove and I'm willing to bet anyone who played CF would agree.

Go Reds!

Drew's range allows him to get to most balls without diving, and A LOT of balls that fielders dive for is because they're out of position or they got a bad jump. Most balls that you dive for can be caught running anyway. I'd rather he didn't dive, doesn't get injured and doesn't run the chance of giving up extra bases by missing as happens often enough. His fielding % isn't really deceiving and his arm isn't weak -- it's pretty average. He has gunned down players running home before, but you don't play a CF for their arm anyway.

I don't get why some people will look for literally anything to nitpick about Stubbs. He's incredibly useful as a CFer defensively.

Stray
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM

Go Reds!

He's ran down a few balls in the past week that only a handful of players in all of baseball get to. And he has one of the best CF arms in all of baseball, not sure why you'd question his arm strength.

BLEEDS
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Some people would rather see farney flopping all over the outfield - looks more scrappy!
Stubbs makes it look effortless because he runs like a gazelle!! He is deceptively lightning fast...

Any arguments to nitpick his defense are pure hogwash.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

P.E.R#14
07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Drew's range allows him to get to most balls without diving, and A LOT of balls that fielders dive for is because they're out of position or they got a bad jump. Most balls that you dive for can be caught running anyway. I'd rather he didn't dive, doesn't get injured and doesn't run the chance of giving up extra bases by missing as happens often enough. His fielding % isn't really deceiving and his arm isn't weak -- it's pretty average. He has gunned down players running home before, but you don't play a CF for their arm anyway.

I don't get why some people will look for literally anything to nitpick about Stubbs. He's incredibly useful as a CFer defensively.

You can't fall in love with a player just because they're a Red.

Almost all trade talks have included a center fielder. Clearly I'm not the only one....

Ironman92
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
He's a very good CF. He has improved on his jump. He's very good in the gaps. On balls right at him, over his head he has trouble (probably hasn't had 5 of these all year) and yes his elite speed allows him to pick a ball without diving like most would have to....but regardless of your speed there are always balls that can only be reached with a headfirst dive and he has never done that in his MLB career. His arm is good for a CF.

IMO he's pretty good overall in CF.....and so is the 4th OFer.

fielder's choice
07-31-2012, 11:42 AM
He's pretty awful at the ball in front of him. Because of his inability to dive, he resorts to sliding which actually makes his glove farther from the ball and almost always doesn't catch it.

Ironman92
07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
He's pretty awful at the ball in front of him. Because of his inability to dive, he resorts to sliding which actually makes his glove farther from the ball and almost always doesn't catch it.

He gets good jumps at them but he can't do what virtually every OF in baseball history could do.

P.E.R#14
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
He gets good jumps at them but he can't do what virtually every OF in baseball history could do.

Yep. He covers a ton of ground, I cannot argue that, and he does get to balls that some outfielders could not, but to be a gold glove caliber player you don't give up on balls rather than leave your feet. Situationally, yes, there will be times where keeping the ball in front of you is much more important than catching it, but those are few and far between. This post-DL streak isn't blinding my eyes from the truth either.

SaboMetric
07-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Name G PA H HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ Fld BsR WAR
Drew Stubbs 84 349 73 13 55 35 22 8.6 % 27.2 % .169 .291 .233 .301 .403 .316 94 -1.3 1.4 1.3

Absolutely nothing special about Stubbs. Numbers are average at best in every meaningful hitters category. For a guy who bats 2nd and sometimes will lead off this is unacceptable. There is a reason why Votto was in the top 5 of all major league hitters in PA without RISP. If a team like the Phillies are interested in moving Victorino for Stubbs I would take it.

mu4103
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
I hope Stubbs keeps his groove going and turns out to be the hitter everyone thought he would be. Having said that, there was probably no better time for the Reds to trade a player that has 3 years of underperformance in him.

Hopefully Stubbs' recent run is enough to turn his career around, but that is pretty rare. However he did show enough to spark an interest in some other teams. If I were the Reds, I would have traded him. All the same, I hope he keeps hitting the ball like he has been.

mu4103
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Let me add one thing. Recently, Stubbs has had something that he has never had in his career - competition. Heisey was giving him a run for his money and he was starting to lose some time. Competition for young players is very important and may be why Stubbs has been hitting the ball well again.

R_Webb18
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Let me add one thing. Recently, Stubbs has had something that he has never had in his career - competition. Heisey was giving him a run for his money and he was starting to lose some time. Competition for young players is very important and may be why Stubbs has been hitting the ball well again.

or he just got on hot streak

Mr.Redleg82
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
or he just got on hot streak

I agree, normal Stubbs mode commence

Kingspoint
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Congratulations, Drew Stubbs.

Ironman92
08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Congratulations, Drew Stubbs.

He told me he has never read this site...but I'll deliver your message.

Nasty Boys
08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
He told me he has never read this site...but I'll deliver your message.

I think Drew was on the site for awhile, but gave up after never getting voted in the ORG.:)

Ironman92
08-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I think Drew was on the site for awhile, but gave up after never getting voted in the ORG.:)

Very nice of the ORG