PDA

View Full Version : Jose Rijo in serious trouble...again.

Team Clark
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic says 1990 World Series MVP Jose Rijo has been charged with laundering money for a suspected drug trafficker.

Prosecutor Soraime Vargas says about 80 percent of the assets of fugitive drug suspect Avelino Castro were in Rijo's name. Those assets allegedly include two hotels and a sports complex. Vargas announced money laundering charges against the former pitcher at a news conference Monday.

Prosecutors asked a court to order Rijo to remain in the country but did not seek his arrest.

The 47-year-old Rijo led the Cincinnati Reds to the 1990 world championship. He also pitched for the Athletics and Yankees. Authorities began investigating him as part of a broader investigation after a Dominican journalist was kidnapped and killed, allegedly on the orders of Castro.

tommycash
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic says 1990 World Series MVP Jose Rijo has been charged with laundering money for a suspected drug trafficker.

Prosecutor Soraime Vargas says about 80 percent of the assets of fugitive drug suspect Avelino Castro were in Rijo's name. Those assets allegedly include two hotels and a sports complex. Vargas announced money laundering charges against the former pitcher at a news conference Monday.

Prosecutors asked a court to order Rijo to remain in the country but did not seek his arrest.

The 47-year-old Rijo led the Cincinnati Reds to the 1990 world championship. He also pitched for the Athletics and Yankees. Authorities began investigating him as part of a broader investigation after a Dominican journalist was kidnapped and killed, allegedly on the orders of Castro.

This is stuff I don't want to believe, but how can I ignore it. He and Eric Davis were my heroes growing up. I kept thinking that one day he would be able to make a comeback and play again, and he did when I was in college. I loved Jose. Now, after the money stuff with prospects, and now this, I can't say how disappointed I am.

I still think he was a great Reds pitcher, but I am just hate the feeling the you get when you find out your hero is not as good a person as you held them up to be.

Raisor
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm concerned for what this means about the 5000 gallons of snake oil I bought from him on the internet last year.

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I still think he was a great Reds pitcher, but I am just hate the feeling the you get when you find out your hero is not as good a person as you held them up to be.

Unfortunately, it's about him not being a good person, period. It's really disappointing.

edabbs44
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Horrible.

hebroncougar
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
This is stuff I don't want to believe, but how can I ignore it. He and Eric Davis were my heroes growing up. I kept thinking that one day he would be able to make a comeback and play again, and he did when I was in college. I loved Jose. Now, after the money stuff with prospects, and now this, I can't say how disappointed I am.

We must be about the same age. I concur. Very, very disappointing.

The Operator
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I hate this, absolutely hate it.

He was one of my all-time favorite Reds and based on his personality when he was a player it seemed like he was a pretty good guy. I guess that's not always the story though.

Why would he need to get into these kind of dealings anyway? He made some pretty nice salaries in the mid-1990s, I'm assuming he must have blown through the money or I don't see why he would be pulling stunts like these.

dougdirt
07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
I hate this, absolutely hate it.

He was one of my all-time favorite Reds and based on his personality when he was a player it seemed like he was a pretty good guy. I guess that's not always the story though.

Why would he need to get into these kind of dealings anyway? He made some pretty nice salaries in the mid-1990s, I'm assuming he must have blown through the money or I don't see why he would be pulling stunts like these.

Sometimes what you have isn't enough. Greed and power do funny things to people.

MrCinatit
07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

A lot of us went through the same thing in 1989 with Pete - the problem with the Rijo thing is that it has been spread out through seemingly so many years.
He never really seemed like a bad guy during his playing career - but that could come from either selective memory, or that things were not as well covered then as now.

smith288
07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm concerned for what this means about the 5000 gallons of snake oil I bought from him on the internet last year.

Still waiting on the deed on a plot of oceanfront property in Arizona he sold me.

Team Clark
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
I've met many of my baseball heroes. Sadly, most were a great disappointment. The worst being Cal Ripken. Sometimes it's just better to watch them from afar.

CySeymour
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I've met many of my baseball heroes. Sadly, most were a great disappointment. The worst being Cal Ripken. Sometimes it's just better to watch them from afar.

What happened with Cal Ripken?

Sabo Fan
07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
One of my fondest Reds memories was when Rijo made his comeback with the Reds after what seemed like a million arm operations. In his first start back (against the Giants in Riverfront) he tossed 4 2/3 perfect innnings and got the win. I think it was Chris Sabo bobblehead night so it was a big night for me anyway. Aaron Boone hit a home run to tie it in the ninth and then win it in the 10th. At the time it was the best game I had attended in person, mostly because of Rijo. Such a sad continuation of his story with this news though. I felt like when the Reds abruptly pulled out of his training complex in the Dominican there was more to the story and the bonus money incident only seemed to prove that correct. This seems like the nail in the coffin though.

Team Clark
07-31-2012, 12:54 AM
What happened with Cal Ripken?

Long story. He's just not that nice. Plain and simple. Very unapproachable, rude and not the guy you would expect. Oddly enough Eddie Murray and Albert Belle were two of the nicest guys I dealt with in Orioles camp in Ft. Lauderdale that year. Go figure.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Who are you guys talking about?

*whistling*