PDA

View Full Version : been listening to the MLB trade deadline show....

rolenmvp
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
and Reds are asking about cliff lee. could He help our rotation? not been a good year for lee but He is worth a playoff run.

R_Webb18
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
i love how were asking about every big name. i mean how is this even possible?

Mr.Redleg82
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM

I know, I'm not looking or thinking about anything until its final. My head is spinning!

rolenmvp
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Walt has something up his sleeve....

Maker_84
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
no way do the Reds go after Lee, he isnt needed

jmac
07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
If the Reds make a splash, I would hope it to be Ellsbury.

Brisco
07-30-2012, 06:09 PM

I think this is typical Walt. He is shrewdly leaking interest in a lot of players so that the sellers have a reason to keep the cost high.

Thus the Pirates, Nationals, Dodgers & Giants are bidding against the Reds for players that the Reds are not really interested in.

The beauty of the Latos and Marshall deals, the Janish trade and the Votto and Phillips extensions is that now almost anything that is linked to the Reds seems like a credible possibility. We can be linked to a small deal (janish trade), blockbuster involving ML players plus lots of top prospects (Latos/Marshall) and deals that will add payroll, including rent a players that we could sign to extensions (Marshall trade and sign).

The Reds are now very unpredictable, and that gives Walt a lot of control over the market.

To be honest, the more rumors I hear, the more I suspect he is intending to stand pat, but to make every other organization pay a premium for whatever they acquire.

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
no way do the Reds go after Lee, he isnt needed

How is Lee not needed? Do you like Cueto, Latos, Bronson as our playoff rotation?

malcontent
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM

:dunno:

malcontent
07-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I think this is typical Walt. He is shrewdly leaking interest in a lot of players so that the sellers have a reason to keep the cost high.

Thus the Pirates, Nationals, Dodgers & Giants are bidding against the Reds for players that the Reds are not really interested in.

The beauty of the Latos and Marshall deals, the Janish trade and the Votto and Phillips extensions is that now almost anything that is linked to the Reds seems like a credible possibility. We can be linked to a small deal (janish trade), blockbuster involving ML players plus lots of top prospects (Latos/Marshall) and deals that will add payroll, including rent a players that we could sign to extensions (Marshall trade and sign).

The Reds are now very unpredictable, and that gives Walt a lot of control over the market.

To be honest, the more rumors I hear, the more I suspect he is intending to stand pat, but to make every other organization pay a premium for whatever they acquire.
Walt Jocketty as the ultimate troll?

TheBigLebowski
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
We don't have the chips to ante up in this hand...Phils will use him as leverage, as Walt probably intends, but we're not active players here.

Trajinous
07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
How is Lee not needed? Do you like Cueto, Latos, Bronson as our playoff rotation?

Lee is worse than all those pitchers you mentioned, this year at least. Throw in the fact that Lee has been bad in the post season lately, he isn't needed and unnecessary use of prospects/players.

brm7675
07-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Lets see...they have gotten us to +21 and I think are like the 2nd or 3rd best rotation in the NL...umm that would be a HUGE YES...

OldRed1966
07-30-2012, 07:02 PM

How do you not even list Bailey?

Tuff Nut
07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Lets see...they have gotten us to +21 and I think are like the 2nd or 3rd best rotation in the NL...umm that would be a HUGE YES... And, IMHO, they are gonna get wore out, without some rest. Just a missed start here or there,(during 2 starts weeks, preferably) should keep them prime during the playoffs, Yes, Lee will probably take atleast one current starter, but to pick up a PO Vet, I'm down.......So you say the rotation still is 5 if one is gone.....IF the Reds are in position to do so, LeClure, Simon, Redmond, and possibly Hoover, could give us spot starts, and the rotation, still stays rested...With or without Lee, something needs to be done, to preserve the arms..without them, the Reds are not 21 games over .500.

fielder's choice
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM

This. He's been our 2nd best pitcher by far.

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Lets see...they have gotten us to +21 and I think are like the 2nd or 3rd best rotation in the NL...umm that would be a HUGE YES...

The Reds have a very deep rotation, but deep rotations mean nothing in the playoffs. It's all about your top-3.

The Reds don't need a pitcher like Lee to win the division, but they may need one to win a playoff series.

Pony Boy
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Fine, then replace Bronson with Bailey (although I don't believe for a second that Dusty would start Bailey ahead of Bronson). My point is the same. We have a weak playoff rotation.

The Rage
07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
The Reds have a very deep rotation, but deep rotations mean nothing in the playoffs. It's all about your top-3.

The Reds don't need a pitcher like Lee to win the division, but they may need one to win a playoff series.

lol. Like the Cardinals had a "deep" rotation last year. It was put together with barb wire. How about the 2008 Phillies?

Not every WS winner is going to have a "big 3".

[deleted]
07-31-2012, 02:46 AM
My god.

There is literally a human being in this topic who said that Bronson Arroyo is better than Cliff Lee.

I don't even know that I can muster a snarky response to that.

webbbj
07-31-2012, 08:24 AM
;2684681']My god.

There is literally a human being in this topic who said that Bronson Arroyo is better than Cliff Lee.

I don't even know that I can muster a snarky response to that.

well this year bronson has pu up the better numbers

joshua
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Not that I'd want to take on Lee's insane contract, but Bronson isn't even on the same planet as Lee. If it were Game 7 of the World Series, who would you start?

Although, if we could rent Lee for cheap the rest of this season, he pitches lights out and trade him for a load of prospects over the winter, it might be worth it...but if he doesn't perform in the post-season we would almost definitely be stuck with him. Which would be crippling in a small market. Not worth the risk...but you never know what Walt is going to do.

Pony Boy
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM

Edinson Volquez's numbers are better than Josh Johnson's numbers. Who would you rather have for the rest of the season?

[deleted]
07-31-2012, 11:07 AM

How? He has a sliiiightly better ERA, and all indications (FIP, BABIP, HR/FB%, LOB%) suggest that will change.

P.E.R#14
07-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Not that I'd want to take on Lee's insane contract, but Bronson isn't even on the same planet as Lee. If it were Game 7 of the World Series, who would you start?

Although, if we could rent Lee for cheap the rest of this season, he pitches lights out and trade him for a load of prospects over the winter, it might be worth it...but if he doesn't perform in the post-season we would almost definitely be stuck with him. Which would be crippling in a small market. Not worth the risk...but you never know what Walt is going to do.

There it is. First time his salary is mentioned is on the second page. Not a chance the Reds take on 40% of his contract.

The_Mudshark
07-31-2012, 02:12 PM

:thumbup:

40YrRedsFan
07-31-2012, 02:40 PM
If the Reds make a splash, I would hope it to be Ellsbury.

With 90 minutes left before the trade deadline, here is my take on our situation: If we don't address our offense now, we will struggle in the post season and it could be a short post season. The only other major situation
is the recent troubles by Mike Leake. To me, Leake may have pitched himself
out of the majors, or be trade material. I hope something gets done.

40YrRedsFan
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM
With 90 minutes left before the trade deadline, here is my take on our situation: If we don't address our offense now, we will struggle in the post season and it could be a short post season. The only other major situation
is the recent troubles by Mike Leake. To me, Leake may have pitched himself
out of the majors, or be trade material. I hope something gets done.

MLB Network basically agreeing with me saying the Reds need to improve offense by acquiring left handed bats. Hopefully the Leake problems will not hinder attempts to improve the offense.