PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Fenway Park

redhawkfish
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
A friend of mine secured tickets through his work for the Twins Red Sox games this Saturday and Suday. We have never been there or to Boston. Any Redszoners have tips on restaurants or sites to visit for us that have made the trip before? I am a history buff and plan on checking out the Freedom Trail. Thanks!

Red in Chicago
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
For dining, go to Little Italy section. Lots of good restaurants. Mikes pastries for canoli.

Joseph
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
I just went to Fenway a couple weeks ago. I'm far from an expert, but I will say its a really great park, even at 100 years old. Spend some time on Yawkey Way when you get there, really cool just to see the history and all the street vendors.

I did some of the Freedom Trail stuff, for a history guy you will love it. We visited the USS Constitution which is something I'd really recommend as well.

TV nostalgia....you could visit the bar Cheers was based on, its a few blocks from Fenway and just something fun to do.

Museums all over the place there if you like that sort of thing.

I'd recommend going to Harvard Square as well. It's not too far from Fenway, but not really a walking destination, probably need a cab for this journey. Great old buildings, and really just beautiful to see.

Lots of great little cafes and coffee shops near here as well. In fact I'd recommend Legal Seafood if you want to try a lobster roll, its a couple blocks from Harvard Square and really great. If you like old record stores there's also one close by called Armageddon Records.

Thats just a couple things I was able to see/do when I was there. Fenway really is the highlight of it all. I hope you are staying close by so you can walk to Fenway past BU and all the great downtown area.

Benihana
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
For dining, go to Little Italy section. Lots of good restaurants. Mikes pastries for canoli.

I second this. Legal Seafood is touristy but a great Boston staple for clam chowda and seafood.

dsmith421
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
The JFK library was pretty awesome, I highly recommend that. It's out of the way geographically but is a reasonable train ride.

Spitball
07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
The New England Aquarium is pretty cool. I have loved the Cask'n Flagon near Fenway since the early 1970s. Boat trips around the harbor and beyond are always fun.

redhawkfish
07-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

vaticanplum
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't know if you'll have time to do this, but since you're a history buff I'd be remiss not to mention the Adams homestead. You have to take the T to Quincy and it's way outside the normal tourist zone of Boston, but it's just a really lovely small tour of everything related to the family, including (optionally) the church where both Adams presidents are buried. The whole tour is very informative and very moving. The Adamses saved everything so it's one of the most comprehensive family steads you can find.

The North End (Little Italy) is great for history as well as food -- Paul Revere's church, etc. Touristy but so worth it. Find a guide to tell you about the window in the church.

The Museum of Fine Arts is really wonderful too, and recently renovated.

If you go to Harvard try to see Memorial Hall. Dedicated to all the Harvard students who served in the Civil War, it's crazy gothic and ornate and beautiful. There's a theater inside as well and in the basement, along with the freshman cafeteria, is Harvard's pub, the Queen's Head ($3.50 pints of Harvard ale!), though I'm not sure it's open in the summer.

Lots of Bostonians on the board, I'm sure they have some ideas as well.

steig
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
i use to live in Boston for a period of time. I would recommend getting food from the Sausage Guy at the game, awesome italian sausage and peppers. The little italy section si great up by the old north church. And Harvard Square is good and is walkable from Fenway. I would also check out the river scene during an afternoon, lots of sail boats out on the river between Boston and Cambridge. Boston Beer Works is a good micro brew restuarant right across the street from Fenway.

redsmetz
07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Lots of great ideas here. Little Italy is on the Freedom Trailer - besides the Old North Church, Paul Revere's home is in the heart of the area, IIRC. The JFK center was moving for me, but that's my history. Yawkey is closed off on game days and you actually go thru ticket entry points for that area. The Public Gardens were stunning too.

My wife and I got a transit pass for the time we were in Boston (a long weekend) and just took the T everywhere when we weren't walking. Our hotel actually took us there on their shuttle vans since they owned two hotels, a conference center and a bowling alley, so they regularly ran back and forth between the train station and their facilities.

I'm sure I've shared this, but when we were there, when we'd mention we were from Cincy, everyone would go "Youk," he's from Cincinnati! Not sure now, of course. Also, our shuttle driver was around 70, so I asked him if he remember my sister-in-law's uncle (Tommy Umphlett) who took over for Dom DiMaggio in the 50's. He had a terrific rookie season with the Bosox before being traded to the Senators where his ML career floundered. He absolutely remembered him which thrilled my sister-in-law.

Boston's a great town. Have fun.

Chip R
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
My wife and I got a transit pass for the time we were in Boston (a long weekend) and just took the T everywhere when we weren't walking. Our hotel actually took us there on their shuttle vans since they owned two hotels, a conference center and a bowling alley, so they regularly ran back and forth between the train station and their facilities.

Excellent suggestion. Driving in Boston will make you crazy.

M2
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Pay heed to Chip's warning about driving. Unless you want to be miserable and thoroughly lost, do not drive. Take the T, or walk, or ride a bike (more about that lower down). If you're staying slightly out of town, figure out which T station you want to leave your car at all day and park there (pick something near the end of a line, those have better parking options).

My suggestion for anyone who's only got a weekend in Boston at this time of year is to take in the waterfront. That runs you up to the North End (where there's a feast going on this weekend - which means you can grab some great cheap eats off a food cart). You've got the aquarium and you can take in the Boston Tea Party site too. You also can take a harbor cruise. You've got a few choices on that. You can just do a standard cruise around the harbor, or out to the Harbor Islands. You can do a nighttime booze cruise. You can get on a schooner. You can do a high-speed boat for a thrill ride (the Codzilla). Or you can head out a little farther on a whale watch. We get a lot of whales at this time of year. A lot of that depends on how much time you've got.

You can grab a trolley tour or, if you go up to the Museum of Science, you can do a Duck tour, which takes you out on the water. Faneuil Hall and a newly-built chain of parks is located just in from the Harbor Walk (http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/).

As for bikes, the city now has something called Hubway (http://www.thehubway.com/). It's short-term bike rentals. You can pick up a bike at a kiosk in one section of the city and drop it off at a kiosk in another section of the city. If you want to do a guided bike tour, there's a company called Urban Adventours (http://www.urbanadventours.com/) that does those.

One place that makes for a nice bike ride is the Esplanade (http://www.esplanadeassociation.org/). It's a park that runs along the Charles River.

As for food, my suggestion if you want to do seafood is the Union Oyster House near Faneuil Hall. It's the oldest restaurant in the U.S., though it can be tricky to get a table on the weekend (if you're willing to eat at the bar that can expedite things). For cheap eats near Fenway, there's a joint at the corner of Yawkey Way and Boyston St. called Tasty Burger. It's a converted gas station (used to take my car there) and it's fantastic. The canned beer selection is awesome and the burger of the day is often a work of genius. The hot dogs are supposedly quite good too, but when I go to a place called Tasty Burger I get a burger. You can eat there for a whole lot less than inside Fenway Park, which is practically next door.

As for Fenway area pre-/post-game watering holes, the Baseball Tavern has a roof deck, the Beerworks brews its own beers, the Yard House has a decent beer selection and has become the hot new spot to go, the Cask'n Flagon attracts a big baseball crowd, you can play pool or do some bowling at Jillian's, the Bleacher Bar is located right underneath of Fenway, Landsdowne St. and Brookline Ave. have a number of other bars/nightclubs, and Church (a few blocks away on Kilmarnock St.) usually has a quality local rock band ripping it up on a Saturday night.

redhawkfish
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Keep the great advice coming folks! Thanks! We are staying at a Courtyard by Marriot in the Cambridge area. We are not even renting a car. Because it is a short weekend trip a carry on bag will suffice for both of us. We plan on taking public transit the entire time we are there.:beerme:

RedsBaron
07-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I made my 6th visit to Boston earlier this month. I generally agree with all of the suggestions others have made, and they have suggested a lot of activities I have not yet had an opportunity to try.
Since you are not renting a car my next comment doesn't really apply to you, but for the most part I have not had much trouble with Boston traffic. On a visit a few years ago the GPS failed but I was still able to figure out how to get around. For this month's visit, my wife's first Boston trip, I primarily let her drive while I acted as navigator, armed with my iPhone and my Tom-Tom. We did fine. The main problem I have found with driving in Boston is that there is no place to park your car!
The T does work fine. We took it to Fenway.
I agree with M2 regarding The Union Oyster House. We ate there this month, my fifth visit there. It has been in operation for a couple of centuries. On this visit we happened to sit near the JFK booth, the table where Kennedy usually sat.
Legal Seafood is good, but for a quick meal I recommend the eateries in Quincy Market, which is relatively cheap and usually quite good. Quincy Market is just a fun area.
The Freedom Trail is also nice. You can follow the red line painted on the sidewalk and walk to a number of historical sites, including the USS Constitution, Bunker Hill, Paul Revere House, Old North Church, etc.
We also took a whale watch cruise out of Gloucester. We saw several whales, including two pair of Humpbacks. It does take about a couple of hours of sailing just to reach where the whales are, though.
We also toured Fenway Park, my first ever visit. I loved it! The guides were a lot of fun. We sat in seats on the Green Monstah and listened to the guide tell us how the Fisk Pole got its name in game six of the 1975 World Series. The guide concluded by saying that Fisk's game six HR ended the World Series. If we wanted more details he good naturally said we should "go to Cincinnati."
Before the tour started another guide, an old gent in his 80s who reminded me of a Vaudeville comedian, proudly showed us his two World Championship rings ('04 and '07) and proclaimed that they were "Chick magnets." I asked if they worked. He replied by saying the rings worked "but I don't." :laugh:
The views at Fenway are great. What isn't great are the field level box seats under the grandstand overhang; those seats are wooden seats dating back to around the Depression--they are tiny and with no leg room.
The first time I visited Boston, roughly 30 (!) years ago, I took a Gray Line Tour. We went through Boston and then toured Lexington and Cocncord, which were intersting to see. On this month's trip we drove down to Plymouth where Plymouth Rock and Plimoth Planatation is located.
Boston is just a fun city to visit. I am sure you will enjoy it.

muddie
07-31-2012, 04:27 PM
i use to live in Boston for a period of time. I would recommend getting food from the Sausage Guy at the game, awesome italian sausage and peppers. The little italy section si great up by the old north church. And Harvard Square is good and is walkable from Fenway. I would also check out the river scene during an afternoon, lots of sail boats out on the river between Boston and Cambridge. Boston Beer Works is a good micro brew restuarant right across the street from Fenway.

We were at a couple games back in 1992. For most of you guys I'm sure this is ancient. But...I remember to this day the "Sausage Guy" mentioned by steig. For sure, get by and check this out. Maybe not the same guy after all this time, but definitely worth a second motion here.

OldRightHander
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I spent a lot of time in Boston during my time on the road. Lot of good seafood places in that town. Can't go wrong with a heaping plate of whole bellies.