PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Catcher

redsmetz
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I wondered about where to put this question, but decided why not let it have its own thread.

So with Mesoraco being thrown out of last night's game, plus him likely facing a suspension (hopefully brief), just who is our emergency catcher right now? Especially since that kid Votto is on the DL.

Seriously, I don't see anyone on our roster who has any experience at catcher. And as others noted in the Mez thread, none of our minor league catchers are on the 40 man roster.

It's always seemed we had one player who was the guy you knew you'd turn to if an emergency ever came up. I had to go look this up, but I remember Joel Youngblood filling in during a game, turns out it was early in 1976 and Sparky was substituting bench guys in with a 7-0 lead. Bill Plummer pinchhit for Bench and then got thrown out for arguing a strikeout with the ump. Youngblood volunteered, his only catching experience: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MON/MON197604250.shtml

So who would we have turned to if something had happened to Ryan last night. For that matter, Mez getting suspended may require some backup (and no, it won't be former catcher Joseph Votto).

Benihana
07-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I wonder if Navarro gets a look for a few days.

crazybob60
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
If I had to guess...if worse came to worse and something would have happened last night to Hanigan after Mes was tossed, 2 guys immediately pop up.

1. Frazier (I bet he would volunteer for it just for the challenge).
2. Heisey (I just see him being able to do it)

3. Cairo (he isn't part of the 2 because I just don't know if he could at this point in his career, earlier in his career I bet he would have been a no brainer here)

marcshoe
07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
If the Reds need to call up either Navarro or Corky, there are several ways they could do it, although their not being on the 40-man complicates things. Off the top of my head:

1. They can still do a trade that frees up a spot.

2. There is chaff at the bottom, guys like Negron, who can be cut without regret.

3. Once a space opens up, There are guys with options who can be shifted down temporarily. One option would, of course, be Paul, but that might be contingent on picking up someone like Overbay.

4. Leake still has options, so if the suspension coincides with a rare off day, they could send him down and skip his spot in the rotation.

5. They could re-work Wily Mo's contract so he can be sent down.

6. Even without a trade, Cairo could be cut.

7. A DL spot could open up at any time.

And I'm sure there are other ways of doing this. I'm not sure I really want to put Frazier or whoever back there, even though I vividly remember listening to the game when Youngblood put on the tools of ignorance.

redsmetz
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
If I had to guess...if worse came to worse and something would have happened last night to Hanigan after Mes was tossed, 2 guys immediately pop up.

1. Frazier (I bet he would volunteer for it just for the challenge).
2. Heisey (I just see him being able to do it)

3. Cairo (he isn't part of the 2 because I just don't know if he could at this point in his career, earlier in his career I bet he would have been a no brainer here)

I thought of Frazier and Cairo. Heisey hadn't occurred to me, but my guess is it would be from this group (had Heisey already pinch hit at that point? I don't recall).

Homer Bailey
07-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Call up Navarro, cut Cairo. Cairo really doesn't have a role on this team, especially when Votto gets back.

medford
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
IIRC, the appeal process has been speed up from my youth (used to be you could appeal and your appeal wouldn't be for a month or so) Would be nice if they could appeal this out until september, then use the 25 man roster expansion to call up Corky or Navarro and use them as the backup for his suspension.

BCubb2003
07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
They could try Leake there.

George Anderson
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
They could try Leake there.

He has sticky fingers so I doubt you will see many passed balls. ;)

PuffyPig
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
The emergeny catcher wasn't Heisey or they wouldn't have PH him so early. It was likely Frazier, or perhaps Valdez.

Team Clark
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
He has sticky fingers so I doubt you will see many passed balls. ;)

I really needed that... laughing soothes the soul. (Nice when someone comes to check on you because you laughed so hard you fell out of your chair!) Bravo! :laugh:

Raisor
07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Release Cairo, sign Javier Valentin. Javy earns a ring when the world series that Chip will get to wear around his neck.

Chip R
07-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Release Cairo, sign Javier Valentin. Javy earns a ring when the world series that Chip will get to wear around his neck.

:luvu:

crazybob60
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM

As long as he is still sportin the stache.

vic715
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Vadez did catch in a minor league game in 2000 at Cape Fear in the So.Atl League.

Hap
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I caught about 10 or 12 games in high school summer league in 1988. I would gladly accept the major league minimum for one week or so.

LincolnparkRed
07-31-2012, 07:11 PM
I caught about 10 or 12 games in high school summer league in 1988. I would gladly accept the major league minimum for one week or so.

Can you hit? ( I never could)