PDA

View Full Version : Reds Acquire Broxton

MBZags
07-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Discuss here.

Twitter reporting that the Reds gave up JC Sulbaran & Donnie Joseph.

matt85webb
07-31-2012, 04:33 PM
This could help move people around and make a push for span again

SWIndRed
07-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Look at 2013 here also. Chapman to rotation, Broxton to closer...

matt85webb
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Broxton is a free agent after this year

Mr.Redleg82
07-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Don't forget about Madson. He said he'll come at a discount. If we don't trade Broxton away, he could be a nice set up man next year for Madson.

Cant Touch This
07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Or we have the modern version of the Nasty Boys in:

Broxton
Madson
Chapman

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't know what we gave up but, provided it wasn't a king's ransom, I really like this move.

MBZags
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Twitter reporting JC Sulbaran is included in the deal, but there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether he is the only one.

jmac
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
With Ondrusek doing his summer fade again, I would rather have JB in 8th than Logan.
As other poster said, is Walt making this deal thinking of next season as well similar to Rolen a few years ago, and thinking of Chapman to rotation next season ?

Brisco
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Game thread after game thread i keep hearing that Dusty is over-using Chapman... but the fact is that we did not have another reliever that had proven effective in the closer's role. This year is not the year to experiement with the unproven. Broxton has that closer's mentality and a great ground ball percentage which will play well with out excellent infield defense. now Dusty has the ability to sit Chapman from time to time even though it is a closing opportunity.

We gave up nothing that was helping us this year and apparently nothing that was surefire help in the future.

I like this move.

The walks do not worry as much because of the groundball percentage... that spells lots of DPs given our excellent middle defense.

Krawhitham
07-31-2012, 05:02 PM
With Ondrusek doing his summer fade again, I would rather have JB in 8th than Logan.
As other poster said, is Walt making this deal thinking of next season as well similar to Rolen a few years ago, and thinking of Chapman to rotation next season ?

Broxton is a FA in 2013

jmac
07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Broxton is a FA in 2013
Thanks, Scratch that idea ;)

Wonderful Monds
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
You aren't going to like this, but apparently Joseph went with Sulbaran too.

The Rage
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Wow, Reds overpay again.

Stray
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
We're better than we were yesterday. Our bullpen is crazy now, talk about shortening games.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
JC Sulbaran AND Donnie Joseph is too much. I no longer approve of this deal.

Maker_84
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
If Broxton is all the reds got at the deadline at this price then u have to look at this as a failure. Cant say im surprised

takealeake
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Shocker, everyone will think the Reds gave up too much for a bunch of no name minor leaguers that people have in their heads could be the next Maddux.

Yeah we've seen how much this has ever come to fruition on pitchers going either to or from the Reds.

Signed,
Zach Stewart 2014 AL Cy Young
and
Brandon Claussen, eligible for the Hall of Fame in three years after an illustrious sure fire career.

You figure people would wait and see how the trade pans out before looking stupid for the, what, 20th time now?

jfleur87
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Every Reds pick-up is a failure? Not every great minor league player pans out. Unless we were playing for the Minor League World Series...than yep, fleeced again.

BTW, just looked up Donnie Josephs's numbers. I assume he is a reliever. Would anyone here want him in the pen over Broxton? I'm guessing no.

joe51391
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
heck we could have had pence for that haul SF gave up there #5 and #19 best prospect and got cash with him and gave up a complaining OF when we gave up our #5 and #7 prospect for a setup guy.......I'm not getting this

GoReds19
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Every Reds pick-up is a failure? Not every great minor league player pans out. Unless we were playing for the Minor League World Series...than yep, fleeced again.

BTW, just looked up Donnie Josephs's numbers. I assume he is a reliever. Would anyone here want him in the pen over Broxton? I'm guessing no.

No, but I was wanting him to replace Bray.

realreds1
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Tom Groesschen reports: "Broxton for Sulbaran and Joseph. Redmond up, Bray to dl (back). Brackman DFA (was with Bakersfield)" on Twitter.

So, does this mean that Redmond fills the spot until Broxton joins the team later this week? Or is someone else shipping out?

Remember deals only have to be completed before the 4 p.m. deadline -- not announced.

Chris Sabowned
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
My guess is Redmond is here for a game to help the tired bullpen, then will be shipped back to Louisville when Broxton arrives.

moewan
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
I assume Walt knows that Masset is done for the year, so he was looking for the depth in the pen that you need to go deep into October.

sdwagers
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I like the bullpen depth. If gives us the flexibility to give Sam LeCure some starts down the road, possibly Redmond as well. You can never have enough pitching and we still have the Cingrani and Corncino. People though Boxberger and Stewart trades were the end of the world too. Not everyone grows up to be Trevor Hoffman.

Wonderful Monds
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM

Um, yes. Not sure why you would guess that at all.

jfleur87
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
No, but I was wanting him to replace Bray.

Ok - fair enough, sorry for jumping to my conclusion. I rarely post, but I read the "we over payed" threads rather often. If we hadn't made a move, then I'm sure I'd be reading a thread complaining about that as well.

Out of curiosity, were you wanting him to replace Bray for the stretch run or the future? Both are viable answers, but putting a rookie in a lefty vs lefty situation when we have Marshal and/or Chapman would scare the bejeezus out of me during a playoff game.

jfleur87
07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Um, yes. Not sure why you would guess that at all.

I wasn't aware of Bray going to the DL, but regardless, I just don't understand the reaction for minor league players who haven't proved anything in the pros. Also I haven't seen Donnie pitch, but his last 10 games he's allowed 6 runs and has an opponent batting average of .311. This is what I was basing my decision on.

UK Reds Fan
07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
1. Donnie Joseph as part of this deal is hard to like...
2. Not to also forget...Broxton is making 4M..so we also tie up salary in Broxton that could have been used to shore up holes elsewhere.

Personally...I don't get this move.

arkimadee
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
The Reds will easily be the most comfortable team with a 1 run lead in the 7th

GoReds19
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Ok - fair enough, sorry for jumping to my conclusion. I rarely post, but I read the "we over payed" threads rather often. If we hadn't made a move, then I'm sure I'd be reading a thread complaining about that as well.

Out of curiosity, were you wanting him to replace Bray for the stretch run or the future? Both are viable answers, but putting a rookie in a lefty vs lefty situation when we have Marshal and/or Chapman would scare the bejeezus out of me during a playoff game.

Next year. All im saying is that Bray is looking more and more like he can't get the job done.

And I thought that Joseph was gonna make a good major league reliever.

jfleur87
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
1. Donnie Joseph as part of this deal is hard to like...
2. Not to also forget...Broxton is making 4M..so we also tie up salary in Broxton that could have been used to shore up holes elsewhere.

Personally...I don't get this move.

Frankly don't understand the move either, considering the needs. But from what I read, he is only owed 1.3 million the rest of this year. So not that big of a financial commitment. Now, for a 2 month rental, perhaps they over payed, unless of course they win the World Series.

SWIndRed
07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
It is possible to resign Broxton. We did extend Marshall. You can't accurately grade a trade until a year or two has passed. I like the move, for now.

I can still see a waiver wire claim for a left handed bench bat.

UK Reds Fan
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
It is possible to resign Broxton. We did extend Marshall. You can't accurately grade a trade until a year or two has passed. I like the move, for now.

I can still see a waiver wire claim for a left handed bench bat.

Sure...but likely Broxton is going to cost at least his current 4M per season if not more. We were so broke we could not afford to get into a LH bat in the OF...but we had the extra money to pay for a decent (not great) RH relief pitcher. The move is puzzling and speaks of overpay by Walt.

Red Raindog
07-31-2012, 06:01 PM
He's got 1.40 WHIP :thumbdown: but a 2.27 ERA -- what I do like is 1 HR in 35 innings

brm7675
07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
JC Sulbaran AND Donnie Joseph is too much. I no longer approve of this deal.

How is it to much. Exactly what have Sulbaran and Joseph done on teh Major league level?

brm7675
07-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Next year. All im saying is that Bray is looking more and more like he can't get the job done.

And I thought that Joseph was gonna make a good major league reliever.

How do we know that?

GoReds19
07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
How do we know that?

We don't I said I think he will be. What I do know is the Reds gave up two pretty good prospects for a bullpen arm for a couple months.

brm7675
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
We don't I said I think he will be. What I do know is the Reds gave up two pretty good prospects for a bullpen arm for a couple months.

Key word being "prospects" meaning they have never pitched on the major league level and the odds of them being good isn't very good.

R_Webb18
07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
just b/c he's signed 2 months does not mean its only 2 months

big boy
07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
If Broxton gets 3 big outs in October, the SunDeck will be loving this trade.

Redlegs Homer
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't hate it. Giving up Joseph who has been pitching well in the minors is a bummer, but the bullpen is now amazing and people will like this when we win a tight 1 run game in October.

The Rage
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Sulbaran and Joseph are likely bullpen arms in the majors. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them doesn't come back and "BJ Ryan" us, but that is the price of upgrading a shallow pen for a WS.

Just find the next one. Notice we didn't trade the guys they think as starters. Tells me how they feel about Cingrani.

smixsell
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Game thread after game thread i keep hearing that Dusty is over-using Chapman... but the fact is that we did not have another reliever that had proven effective in the closer's role. This year is not the year to experiement with the unproven. Broxton has that closer's mentality and a great ground ball percentage which will play well with out excellent infield defense. now Dusty has the ability to sit Chapman from time to time even though it is a closing opportunity.

We gave up nothing that was helping us this year and apparently nothing that was surefire help in the future.

I like this move.

The walks do not worry as much because of the groundball percentage... that spells lots of DPs given our excellent middle defense.

I didn't know that. Source? If true it makes me like this deal provided Brox is healthy.

HometownHero
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Good thing we got a BP arm with the way we are over working them the last two nights,

MBZags
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Key word being "prospects" meaning they have never pitched on the major league level and the odds of them being good isn't very good.

Wait, so are you saying that all prospects are interchangeable until they prove something at the major league level?

smixsell
08-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Just watched Broxton's last save for KC on mlb tv (1week ago).

He looked pretty darn good!!!

95 mph fastball, multiple nasty 88-89 mph sliders, and no good contact off of him. Very encouraging!

texasdave
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't think Sulbaran ever amounts to much. Joseph you can flip a coin. I say good trade.

Larkin88
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think Sulbaran ever amounts to much. Joseph you can flip a coin. I say good trade.

At the end of the day, people were confused that we added bullpen depth (Brox) to an already deep bullpen at the expense of bullpen depth (Joseph) that may or may not have contributed to the club in the next few years, anyway.

I agree, texasdave. It's not a move that all of a sudden makes us the Big Red Machine again and not one I expected, but it certainly doesn't hurt the club any, either. It improves us this year and from all reports, the club is apparently interested in maybe extending him a la Marshall. That is an absolutely filthy back end of the pen by any measure.

Let's face it, guys. Our starters are probably going to tire out a little bit as much as they've all pitched this year. We can shorten the game up even more now with some pretty good confidence in the guy on the bump (whoever it is, really).

Trajinous
08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I got no problem with adding to our biggest strength being pitching. It took us all by shock and went with a dud after all the Choo/Ellsbury/Span rumors. Walt made a statement by not dealing.

Walt thinks this team's makeup will win and I agree with him.

mivers176
08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I wonder how long they were working on this deal and/or how confident we were in landing Broxton?

I was just thinking maybe it would have been nice (assuming there was truth to the actual offer) to trade Ondrusek to PHI for Victorino then make this deal for Broxton?

fielder's choice
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
We couldn't have gotten Victorino for Ondrusek.

Larkin88
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I wonder how long they were working on this deal and/or how confident we were in landing Broxton?

I was just thinking maybe it would have been nice (assuming there was truth to the actual offer) to trade Ondrusek to PHI for Victorino then make this deal for Broxton?

I suspect there was a bit of a bidding war with the Dodgers, hence two prospects going to Philly for the Victorino rental as opposed to a one-for-one swap. Might chalk that one up to being impacted by the new CBA rules.

brm7675
08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Wait, so are you saying that all prospects are interchangeable until they prove something at the major league level?

In baseball pretty much. You do have your "blue chip" ones who might be a bit more valued, but overall a prospect is just that, a prospect and if you look back over the Reds history, especially with pitchers, how many of our "prospects" ever turned out to be good/great quality major league players?

IamRV
08-01-2012, 02:39 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Reds showed some interest in Broxton during the offseason.

texasdave
08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Why don't relievers have entrance music? I loved Trevor Hoffman's and Hell's Bells.

I am still pushing "Guns of Brixton" for Broxton.

Guns of Brixton - The Clash - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1F9MV4I1mg)

Mr.Redleg82
08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Not going to lie, I was one of those a little dissappointed we did get a little more for the two highly ranked prospects. That got me to thinking, here are some of our past 1st round picks that were at one point highly ranked prospects.

Chris Gruler-'02
Brandon Larson-'97
Ryan Wagner-'03
Jeremy Sowers-'01

My point is you never know and after doing some research I feel better about it.

panzecaz03
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Broxton is a free agent after this year

who would of thought

OGB
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Nice enough debut. You have to love the fact that we can get six solid from our SP and then roll out Marshall, Broxton, and Chapman. Nobody else in baseball can match that. And if you only get six from the SP the next day, Arredondo, and Ondrusek aren't slouches in the seventh and eighth.

RedhawkinLA
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Nice enough debut. You have to love the fact that we can get six solid from our SP and then roll out Marshall, Broxton, and Chapman. Nobody else in baseball can match that. And if you only get six from the SP the next day, Arredondo, and Ondrusek aren't slouches in the seventh and eighth.

AGREED

malcontent
08-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Simon and LeCure have been pretty good as well.

Redlegs Homer
08-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Strikeout and two ground balls in the debut, and the Reds are able to hold on to a 1 run lead and extend it. This is why you build the bullpen.

storer50
08-02-2012, 12:55 AM
And some nice defensive skills from Broxton as well

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jhiller21
08-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Broxton pitched great, but he reminds me of this big fella

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/85/fullj.2e7a2efb009e38ae632fb53368710ff4/ap-201206092146784042728.jpg

At least him and Hannigan aren't copping feels

smixsell
08-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Broxton looks more stocky and muscular than fat to me. I think the comparisons to Coffey are unfair! ;) Any way you slice it though, he is a HUGE additon to the club. ;)