PDA

View Full Version : I think the Royals are in trouble.........

hebroncougar
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
http://deadspin.com/5930676

And I don't mean because they stink. They've been misusing taxpayer dollars meant for stadium repairs. That's BIG trouble.

jojo
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
http://deadspin.com/5930676

And I don't mean because they stink. They've been misusing taxpayer dollars meant for stadium repairs. That's BIG trouble.

They should put the whole organization in jail. Literally.

hebroncougar
07-31-2012, 09:54 PM

It's mind boggling how idiotic what they have done is. And I'm not even counting how bad their team has been.

07-31-2012, 09:57 PM

Guess that means Broxton just missed a bullet. ;)

Tom Servo
07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Can they at least take the franchise away from Glass? Please?

jojo
07-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Maybe he's the whistle blower and that's why he's been sent to the NL disguised as a high leverage arm. It's his cover in the witness protection program. :p

Chip R
07-31-2012, 10:00 PM

How? ;)

07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Maybe he's the whistle blower and that's why he's been sent to the NL disguised as a high leverage arm. It's his cover in the witness protection program. :p

Does that mean Jocketty was in on it? He gave up Joseph to keep up the charade.

jojo
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Does that mean Jocketty was in on it? He gave up Joseph to keep up the charade.

No. Joseph is obviously a mole.

Big Klu
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
No. Joseph is obviously a mole.

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/scans/FF88_MoleMan.JPG

Spitball
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Whoa! Great city, great park, great barbecue, great beer.

Orenda
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
who'd the reds trade for?

RedlegJake
07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes. I'm not sure what Glass did was illegal or not - they're still investigating. The Chiefs may be in on it too. Using Stadium repair funds to purchase other things. Going over the books and the legalese of the lease with a lawyers magnifier now. I don't see how uniforms can possibly be construed as a needed stadium repair though.

If it gets Glass kicked out of ownership I'm thrilled.

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
The thing I'm rooting for most at this point is for the MLB owners to force Glass to give up ownership. Glass has been running a small payroll team and pocketing the luxury tax for a long time. I don't think that sits well with the other owners.

Crumbley
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
A veritable grand slam of fraud. Glass needs to go to prison.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Whoa! Great city, great park, great barbecue, great beer.

I guess if I had to pick a team in the AL to support. I'd pick the Royals. Love the stadium. Cool uniforms. Great fans that deserve a winner.

And I wouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon, because they have been bad for so long.

Oh the heck with it. As of today, the Royals are my team in the AL.

WVRed
08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
The thing I'm rooting for most at this point is for the MLB owners to force Glass to give up ownership. Glass has been running a small payroll team and pocketing the luxury tax for a long time. I don't think that sits well with the other owners.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Glass come from Wal-Mart? Given Wal-Mart's business practices, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Scrap Irony
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Sending Glass packing would be good for KC, IMO. Try to find someone willing to spend some money because that team is close to being very, very good and could be good for a good long while.

Really nice, young lineup with no holes at any position. Good BOR young guys. Good 'pen arms. Nice upside arms and bats in AA for help as next season wears on.

They'll need at least three starters on the free agent market, but, with that lineup (as cheap as it is), they could conceivably pay them. Think how good that team could be with Sean Marcum, Carlos Zambrano, and Zack Greinke fronting Wil Smith and Duffy.

Johnny Footstool
08-02-2012, 01:07 AM
More details. It's not so cut-and-dried.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/01/3737947/teams-and-county-at-odds-over.html

VR
08-02-2012, 01:24 AM
I think Saberhagen is due for a good year in 2013, all will be OK.

RedlegJake
08-02-2012, 01:35 AM
No its not. The biggest fault may ultimately lie with the county administrators leaving loopholes in the lease details that the Chiefs and the Royals are using to legally (though you can argue questionable in an ethical sense) pay all kinds of things that are hardly maintenance or stadium operations related but under the language that was used - well there is the hangup. And yes, Glass is one of the Wal Mart heirs, and will use any loophole or opening he can find to make money - the Royals are making him hundreds of millions already in capital gains and he pockets more annually in luxury taxes and revenue sharing that isn't going into the team's payroll or development costs. Glass is quite open about not understanding why it should either. He has publicly stated that the Royals will never have a hundred million dollar player or an entire payroll in that neighborhood. "We cannot compete in that financial arena and never will" is a close paraphrase. David Glass sees a baseball team as a business the same way he saw Wal Mart. Get the best team with the least expensive players you can and compete on the cheap while driving the market value of your product as high as you can - I'm sure he sees luxury taxes and revenue sharing as idiocy of the highest order on the part of the other owners but he'll take it and run as long as he's the beneficiary. I'm with Johnny Footstool - the best thing that could happen to the KC Royals would be for the owners to force Glass to relinquish ownership.

toledodan
08-02-2012, 01:37 AM
I guess if I had to pick a team in the AL to support. I'd pick the Royals. Love the stadium. Cool uniforms. Great fans that deserve a winner.

And I wouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon, because they have been bad for so long.

Oh the heck with it. As of today, the Royals are my team in the AL.

i tried that opening day this season lol. i got hate mail from my friends after they got hammered opening day. they told me i wasn't allowed to be a fan.:laugh:

after living out here for four years i'm really starting to feel sorry for the fan base. even when the reds suck there is some hope starting the season. for the royals its over in april. the sad thing is they have a bunch of young hitting talent but ZERO pitching. by the time they get some piching all their young hitting talent will be playing for someone else.

RedlegJake
08-02-2012, 05:53 PM
i tried that opening day this season lol. i got hate mail from my friends after they got hammered opening day. they told me i wasn't allowed to be a fan.:laugh:

after living out here for four years i'm really starting to feel sorry for the fan base. even when the reds suck there is some hope starting the season. for the royals its over in april. the sad thing is they have a bunch of young hitting talent but ZERO pitching. by the time they get some piching all their young hitting talent will be playing for someone else.

Exactly right. Everything they do seems doomed. Luke Hochevar, Mike Montgomery and Aaron Crow were supposed to be pitching saviors. Hochevar is a #5 starter at best. Montgomery is in AAA with an era around 6 and Crow is in the bullpen. All these highly hooplahed and hyped arms - bust! Now they have Jake Odorizzi their latest "super" arm coming along. And young Will Smith starting and doing fairly well so far (just a couple starts so far, mixed results) We'll see. But it will two-three years before these guys are prime time anyway and by that time the young hitters like Hosmer and Moose will be getting expensive and like Toledo says - they'll get sold off for some kid that'll fail. It's the David Glass (I call him Dick Glass) and Dayton Moore legacy.

As an owner Glass reminds me of Lindner only much worse in baseball sense