PDA

View Full Version : Reds gift shop prices

powersackers
08-01-2012, 03:18 AM
I was at work in West Chester and given a ticket to Tuesday's game. I was in dress clothes with long sleeves and my commute back to Dayton to change was out of the question. I thought I would hit the gift shop and get a polo shirt to be more comfortable. I had $40 in mind. The cheapest I found was $90. They had one with buttons that was $175. A healthy retail mark up is 100%. Are the Reds really paying $45 for their polo shirts? Anyway just thought I would share my experience.

membengal
08-01-2012, 06:03 AM
No the Reds are not. The markup is extra healthy. I can also tell you, it is not in isolation.

Same prices at the O's fan shop at Camden Yards.

Boss-Hog
08-01-2012, 06:50 AM
They do have some cool stuff I haven't seen anywhere else, but you're right - the prices are ridiculous.

dougdirt
08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Unless it is the only place you can get it, you should never buy something from the team shop. It is priced just like the beverages, 300-400% markup.

OesterPoster
08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah, go to a place like Cardboard Heroes. They've got a ton of Reds gear with way better prices. Plus, the one in Beavercreek sells their Dragons season tickets at the counter. You can get 2 great seats smack behind home plate in the 7th row.

DGullett35
08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Unless it is the only place you can get it, you should never buy something from the team shop. It is priced just like the beverages, 300-400% markup.

Yea tell me about the beverage prices. 9.50 for a 24oz beer at Progressive Field. They're paying no more than .50 for that beer. The markup is crazy. I guess when you only get 10,000 fans a game you have to charge those prices.

redsfan30
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
I have never understood the logic in the ballpark price mark up game. I understand the fact that running a professional sports franchise is not a cheap undertaking however common logic tells you if you lower your prices slightly, more people will buy items because the price isn't (as) deadly thus you are still making the same amount of money if not more.

Chip R
08-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I have never understood the logic in the ballpark price mark up game. I understand the fact that running a professional sports franchise is not a cheap undertaking however common logic tells you if you lower your prices slightly, more people will buy items because the price isn't (as) deadly thus you are still making the same amount of money if not more.

It's a captive market. Just like movies or concerts. A 6 pack of Christian Moerlein costs the same as one 20 oz one at the game. But I can't take that 6 pack into the game and the only place that sells beer is the vendors at GABP. So, if I want a beer, I either have to pay their prices, or leave and either go home or to a bar.

You are also helping to pay salaries of the players.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
A ways back, I took my family of 5 to the Ohio State Fair. We left here and the temps were 90+ degrees so we dressed for hot weather. Got the fair, a front moved through, and it went down to 65. I had to break out the Visa card to pay for 5 sweatshirts at captive prices. Yikes!

I'm on the www.reds.com mailing list and they regularly have pretty decent sales on Reds apparel. I know that doesn't help at the ballpark, but if you want official Reds stuff, that's a good way to go. It's also a good way to find out about ticket deals. As a side comment, the Reds' marketing department has improved about 1000% under Castellini. They really sell the team well.

Dom Heffner
08-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Yea tell me about the beverage prices. 9.50 for a 24oz beer at Progressive Field. They're paying no more than .50 for that beer. The markup is crazy. I guess when you only get 10,000 fans a game you have to charge those prices.

In their defense, their bills are a little more than the average 7-11.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The prices are absurd, but it's indicative of pro sports. Beers at Yankee Stadium are $11, T-shirts are more than $30 in most cases.

A jersey at the Bengals pro shop is $100; the same jersey at Koch's on Fourth Street is $80.

Homer Bailey
08-01-2012, 11:36 AM

That's actually not that bad compared to Wrigley, and GABP (the last time I was there). At Wrigley, it's $7.50 for a 16 oz'er, so $9.50 for a 24 oz'er seems like a better deal to me.

CySeymour
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Plus, don't concession's get divided multiple ways? The Reds get a cut, the city gets a cut and the contracted concession supplier gets their cut.

Hap
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Wait until September. They always have clearance sales in September. I got a $100 jacket for $40.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
No the Reds are not. The markup is extra healthy. I can also tell you, it is not in isolation.

Same prices at the O's fan shop at Camden Yards.

Same in DC. I never buy anything from their gift shop and vendors within the stadium. Prices are outrageous on just about everything they have.

Caveat Emperor
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Sporting Events, Concerts, Gift Shops in Amusement Parks / Museums, etc. are all going to have an enormous mark-up on things.

Don't know that this is exactly news.

powersackers
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Sporting Events, Concerts, Gift Shops in Amusement Parks / Museums, etc. are all going to have an enormous mark-up on things.

Don't know that this is exactly news.

We might be captive, but not captivated. I didn't even consider the $90 polo. You'd think they'd have liked to have the 30% to 50% profit on a $40 selling price. Instead of the 0% on the $90 Polo. I'd hope 99% of everyone stepping into the gift shop would walk about too.

So that's 99/100 0% profits, and 1/100 100% profits. Good luck with that.

If they sell 99 at a profit of $12 a piece that's $1188
If they sell 1 at profit of $45 a piece that's $45

kaldaniels
08-01-2012, 05:42 PM
We might be captive, but not captivated. I didn't even consider the $90 polo. You'd think they'd have liked to have the 30% to 50% profit on a $40 selling price. Instead of the 0% on the $90 Polo. I'd hope 99% of everyone stepping into the gift shop would walk about too.

So that's 99/100 0% profits, and 1/100 100% profits. Good luck with that.

If they sell 99 at a profit of $12 a piece that's $1188
If they sell 1 at profit of $45 a piece that's $45

I imagine they have the margin set at the sweet spot.

Cause you have to buy something from the gift shop for a true game experience....

Brutus
08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Plus, don't concession's get divided multiple ways? The Reds get a cut, the city gets a cut and the contracted concession supplier gets their cut.

I don't know specifically about the Reds, but a lot of organizations do it differently.

I believe the most common is that each vendor pays its rent and usually has to pay a percentage of sales on top of their rent. Usually the amounts are significant enough it causes a rather large mark-up of the food and beverage.

Obviously the supplier probably has some sort of franchise fee on top of the cost of the product at wholesale. So yeah, when it's all said and done, there are probably a lot of hands in the cookie jar.

Unassisted
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Appreciate reading the tips on Reds polos. Paid way too much for the one I have and I'd love to have another one someday, without paying a small fortune. I'll share a tip of my own.

I usually buy up team caps in January during the Lids.com clearance sale. I've gotten some of my favorite sized caps for $5 that way.

Due to the ersatz nationwide popularity of Reds caps, it's rare that I see any Reds caps in that sale, but if you're a fan of other teams, you might strike gold. One of my favorite summertime caps is a white WKU cap. I have no allegiance to WKU, but it reflects the sun, fits great and cost just $5. :)

RBA
08-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Just grab a Milton shirt off the clearance rack.

vaticanplum
08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
While we're on the subject, I want to vent about something, because I've had a few beers so of course that's a good time. Maybe some Reds marketing guru will google something-or-other and come upon this thread.

A while back, a couple of friends of mine had a baby. They didn't find out the sex ahead of time, and anyway I try to avoid getting gender-specific gifts for babies before they're even born, so I thought, I will get this baby something Reds-related. This couple is nuts about the Reds, two of the few close Cincinnati friends i have, very serious fans, and this is their first baby. And you can't get more gender-neutral than RED.

So I'm lucky enough to be in town the weekend this baby is born, and procrastinative enough to not actually go shopping for a gift until after it's born. It's a girl. Hooray. I could have gone to, like, Meijer or something, on Easter Sunday when she was born, which obviously would have been the shopping experience of a lifetime. But no, first baby! With her Reds-loving parents who birthed her, and her Reds-loving friend who is buying a gift for her, I decide to go all the way to the gift shop at GABP.

So I go to the baby girl section. All they have is pink. Pink outfits, pink shoes, pink ribbons, pink baseball unicorns, pink glitter tutus, I don't know what they have, but everything is pink. Pink is nice and all, I happen to love pink, and god knows i love unicorns and glitter and tutus. But the baseball team is the REDS. THEY ARE NAMED FOR A COLOR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. A color that does not have gender connotations even to the most gender connotative of people. I don't want a pink outfit for this little girl. I know her parents -- fans of a baseball team named for a color, the only team named for a color -- do not either. She is going to be a Reds fan! She should wear red!!

So I look for BABY section. No. There is no baby section. There is girl baby and boy baby. I go to boy baby section, and lo and behold, this is where all the red stuff is. Red shirts, red pants, red socks, red onesies, red booties, red diapers, red pacifiers, red anything you can dream of. I select a very cute red one-piece outfit for her and plunk down like 50 bucks for it. Nothing whatsoever about this outfit indicates that it is for a boy only. It is white with red pinstripes and red sleeves and the Reds logo. I give it to the baby, her parents are pleased, she wears it through the baseball season without any significant trauma or gender confusion, and all is well.

But what is going on here? I could go all historical on the Reds and point out that pink as a girl color is a very recent thing, less than a hundred years old; before that pink was very much for boys and blue was for girls. But beyond that, for real, I can even understand pink sports gear for girls. Babies all look alike to some degree, and some parents get offended if you confuse a baby's gender early on, so if you want to put your baby girl in pink, I get it, I really do. So carry pink Reds gear. But does the red Reds gear then by default have to be classified as boys' clothing? because that is insane on like 12 different levels. Newsflash: babies can wear certain articles of clothing no matter what their genitalia looks like. And red is, for real, about as gender-neutral as you can get. I kid you not, Reds, I thank my lucky stars at least once a week that I was born to fandom to a team that represents a color that i happen to love to wear. What women can do with red! Red nails! Red shoes! Red hairpieces! Red gingham! Red sundresses! My god!! It looks great on fair-skinned people, it looks great on dark-skinned people...you have a feminine marketing sartorial BONANZA on your hands, without even TRYING, it's the NAME OF YOUR FREAKING TEAM. And you're going to turn your female fanbase away from it AT BIRTH because you feel the need to market your clothes to girl and boy babies???

UGH.

George Foster
08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Dick's sporting goods in Lexington has a whole section of Reds items and is a lot cheaper than the Reds gift shops...

TeamBoone
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
The prices are absurd, but it's indicative of pro sports. Beers at Yankee Stadium are $11, T-shirts are more than $30 in most cases.

A jersey at the Bengals pro shop is $100; the same jersey at Koch's on Fourth Street is $80.

I love Koch's. They have so much to choose from.

KittyDuran
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
A ways back, I took my family of 5 to the Ohio State Fair. We left here and the temps were 90+ degrees so we dressed for hot weather. Got the fair, a front moved through, and it went down to 65. I had to break out the Visa card to pay for 5 sweatshirts at captive prices. Yikes!

I'm on the www.reds.com mailing list and they regularly have pretty decent sales on Reds apparel. I know that doesn't help at the ballpark, but if you want official Reds stuff, that's a good way to go. It's also a good way to find out about ticket deals. As a side comment, the Reds' marketing department has improved about 1000% under Castellini. They really sell the team well.

Same thing happened to me down in Sarasota the first year I went to Spring Training. A night game at Ed Smith Stadium and I forgot to bring a jacket. Ended up plunking down $65 for a white on white hooded sweatshirt to keep warm. Still looks great and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it - but that put a dent in my vacation budget at the time.

KittyDuran
08-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Sears stores here in Cincinnati have a pretty decent selection and most of the time they're discounted as well...

KittyDuran
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
While we're on the subject, I want to vent about something, because I've had a few beers so of course that's a good time. Maybe some Reds marketing guru will google something-or-other and come upon this thread.

A while back, a couple of friends of mine had a baby. They didn't find out the sex ahead of time, and anyway I try to avoid getting gender-specific gifts for babies before they're even born, so I thought, I will get this baby something Reds-related. This couple is nuts about the Reds, two of the few close Cincinnati friends i have, very serious fans, and this is their first baby. And you can't get more gender-neutral than RED.

So I'm lucky enough to be in town the weekend this baby is born, and procrastinative enough to not actually go shopping for a gift until after it's born. It's a girl. Hooray. I could have gone to, like, Meijer or something, on Easter Sunday when she was born, which obviously would have been the shopping experience of a lifetime. But no, first baby! With her Reds-loving parents who birthed her, and her Reds-loving friend who is buying a gift for her, I decide to go all the way to the gift shop at GABP.

So I go to the baby girl section. All they have is pink. Pink outfits, pink shoes, pink ribbons, pink baseball unicorns, pink glitter tutus, I don't know what they have, but everything is pink. Pink is nice and all, I happen to love pink, and god knows i love unicorns and glitter and tutus. But the baseball team is the REDS. THEY ARE NAMED FOR A COLOR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. A color that does not have gender connotations even to the most gender connotative of people. I don't want a pink outfit for this little girl. I know her parents -- fans of a baseball team named for a color, the only team named for a color -- do not either. She is going to be a Reds fan! She should wear red!!

So I look for BABY section. No. There is no baby section. There is girl baby and boy baby. I go to boy baby section, and lo and behold, this is where all the red stuff is. Red shirts, red pants, red socks, red onesies, red booties, red diapers, red pacifiers, red anything you can dream of. I select a very cute red one-piece outfit for her and plunk down like 50 bucks for it. Nothing whatsoever about this outfit indicates that it is for a boy only. It is white with red pinstripes and red sleeves and the Reds logo. I give it to the baby, her parents are pleased, she wears it through the baseball season without any significant trauma or gender confusion, and all is well.

But what is going on here? I could go all historical on the Reds and point out that pink as a girl color is a very recent thing, less than a hundred years old; before that pink was very much for boys and blue was for girls. But beyond that, for real, I can even understand pink sports gear for girls. Babies all look alike to some degree, and some parents get offended if you confuse a baby's gender early on, so if you want to put your baby girl in pink, I get it, I really do. So carry pink Reds gear. But does the red Reds gear then by default have to be classified as boys' clothing? because that is insane on like 12 different levels. Newsflash: babies can wear certain articles of clothing no matter what their genitalia looks like. And red is, for real, about as gender-neutral as you can get. I kid you not, Reds, I thank my lucky stars at least once a week that I was born to fandom to a team that represents a color that i happen to love to wear. What women can do with red! Red nails! Red shoes! Red hairpieces! Red gingham! Red sundresses! My god!! It looks great on fair-skinned people, it looks great on dark-skinned people...you have a feminine marketing sartorial BONANZA on your hands, without even TRYING, it's the NAME OF YOUR FREAKING TEAM. And you're going to turn your female fanbase away from it AT BIRTH because you feel the need to market your clothes to girl and boy babies???

UGH.

I hear ya... but there must be a demand if they carry that much in merchandise. I'd take red over pink any day (not just Reds game days).