PDA

View Full Version : Could Abreu be our LH Bat?

brm7675
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Dodgers DFA him today to add Shane V. He is not great, but that would provide us with some LH pop off the bench...

vottofan4life
08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Was just getting ready to post that. Maybe he can jump in to play some 1b from time to time to free up Frazier. Plus I'd rather have Abreu's bat than Cairo's

Larkin88
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I think for the type of role we might be looking for, there will be a number of potentially available guys that will be DFA'd.

I wouldn't consider it impossible to see Juan Pierre's name tossed around even, if the Reds still wanted a #1 or #2 guy to put in front of Votto. I'm inclined to think the Reds might just want to find a left baty with some pop (like an Overbay) off the bench at this point rather than a leadoff/OBP guy. We've discussed the marginality of improvement the options that were affordably available at the deadline would have brought. I think that's going to take some more effort and work on the front office's part if they don't think their long term answer is on its way internally. (lookin' at you Mr. Hamilton)

Been a pretty big Abreu fan in his career, but I'm not sure what he currently brings to the table will be the most attractive option out there.

brm7675
08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
The question is with the Reds so far down the claim ladder, will they even get a shot at him if they would be interested.

Larkin88
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
The question is with the Reds so far down the claim ladder, will they even get a shot at him if they would be interested.

Good point. Darn that confounded good record we have! :lol:

Red Raindog
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM

I would expect if the Reds (or anyone else with a good record) wants him very bad that they will offer up a lower level prospect & trade for him before the 10 days are up.

brm7675
08-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I would expect if the Reds (or anyone else with a good record) wants him very bad that they will offer up a lower level prospect & trade for him before the 10 days are up.

That I don't see Walt doing. I could see him adding him via a claim, but for some reason don't see him doing it via trade.

Mr.Redleg82
08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Matsui and Fontenot released as well. I'd take a flyer on Matsui, but leave Fontenot alone

40YrRedsFan
08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I would pursue Overbay. He is 3 years younger than Abreu. Unfortunately, I think I would have to DFA Cairo. He has served this team well, but now just doesn't seem to fit in any more.

Mr.Redleg82
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but are you telling me that the teams with worse records get claims on players first? If so, I did not know that. Also, can't we try and trade for him in the next 10 days? They DFA'd him, they prob wouldn't want much.

Redlegs Homer
08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It's worth a shot. He's got a really good OBP even after all these years. There are still some options for a lefty bat out there. Overbay is another good one.

arkimadee
08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
good players don't get cut twice in one season

brm7675
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but are you telling me that the teams with worse records get claims on players first? If so, I did not know that. Also, can't we try and trade for him in the next 10 days? They DFA'd him, they prob wouldn't want much.

I believe when a player is put on waiver that each team in order from worst to first has a chance to put a claim in on said player. Once all teams have had a shot to "claim" him then the team with the worse record gets him. NOW I do believe before that happens he can be traded before the trade deadline which just pasted, however I do believe now, a player must clear waivers before a trade can happen.

HometownHero
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I do like Abreu's ability to get on base better than Overbay and playing in GABP could revive his pop.

brm7675
08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
good players don't get cut twice in one season

Depends on what you qualify as good? Is he a better option then what we have as a LH bat off the bench?

arkimadee
08-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Depends on what you qualify as good? Is he a better option then what we have as a LH bat off the bench?

I'd say no. I like what I see in Paul.

webbbj
08-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I'd say no. I like what I see in Paul.

paul should stay, cairo should go.