PDA

View Full Version : Mesoraco Suspended 3 Games

redsmetz
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
MLB is reporting that Devin Mesoraco will be suspended three games for bumping the umpire. He can appeal and then suspension will be held pending the appeal. Otherwise, it begins tonight.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2012/08/01/mesoraco-disciplined/

NJReds
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I think you have to appeal just to buy time to get Phillips healthy, but he may actually have a chance of reducing this suspension to one or two games.

redsfan30
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I would assume he will not appeal.

The roster crunch begins....

redsmetz
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I think you have to appeal just to buy time to get Phillips healthy, but he may actually have a chance of reducing this suspension to one or two games.

I think your assessment is correct and I was just going to follow up and say that. With Phillips day to day at the present, the club needs him to appeal because of the roster situation. Not to mention we have no one else on the 40 man roster who is a catcher.

MikeS21
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I dunno, I agree the ump bumped him, causing the contact, but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.

Scrap Irony
08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I assume he will, if only because they may need his bat over the next few days.

I can't imagine they'll agree to reduce the suspension though. Innocuous or not, he bumped the umpire. (Or rather, they umpire bumped him, then got cross about it.) That's not often a rule they look the other way on.

redsfan30
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.

Agreed. I don't see the suspension getting shortened.

REDREAD
08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
What a load of Balony..

The ump bumped Mes, not the other way around.

Actually, IIRC, Homer and Leake just started.
Mes wouldn't be catching the next 3 games anyhow.
It might be a good idea to roll the dice and just serve the suspension now, since he had dizziness last night anyhow.
Just hope that Hannigan holds up for 3 games.

Otherwise, he could appeal and then drop the appeal right after he catches Homer/Leake at a more convienent time. (Obviously he has a limited window to do it on his terms)

traderumor
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I dunno, I agree the ump bumped him, causing the contact, but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.And with I'm sure no evidence presented for Mesaroco's side why he suddenly lost control after being baited by the clown ump.

Vottomatic
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't see it getting shortened either, and he's dealing with dizziness anyway. If the dizziness continues, no better time to take the suspension than now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mez and BP put on the short DL, simply to get a glimpse of H-Rod or Didi, and Navarro. Knowing the Reds, they will play shorthanded though.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
You have to have a 2nd catcher. Bring up Navarro and either DFA Cairo or release one of Costanzo, Smith, Phipps, etc.

traderumor
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
If they don't make a move for a second catcher to be available, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who on the current roster is the emergency catcher. Valdez?

LoganBuck
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Corky is the obvious add. He knows the pitchers and will pass back through waivers when the suspension is over. Navarro likely will not. I want his bat in September.

reds44
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
He's appealing.

REDREAD
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
I wonder.. in the old days, they would wait until the club went to NY to hear the appeal.

I wonder if the appeal can stall the suspension long enough for rosters to be expanded? Any insight from anyone?

bucksfan2
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't have appealed unless you think the suspension will be reduced. Mes is a PH the next 3 days and in all reality is the last bat off the bench of a pinch runner late. If you wanted another catcher then DFA'ing Cairo is the proper move. Its sad to see but Cairo isn't a MLB caliber player anymore.

medford
08-01-2012, 04:07 PM
REDREAD,

I don't think it works that way any more, he can delay it, but I don't think its an automatic wait until the next trip to NYC to hear your appeal.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Does X. Paul have options left?

HotCorner
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Does X. Paul have options left?

Not sure but Miguel Cairo is dedundant and ineffective.

Always Red
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM

And I like what X Paul has done so far. He looked very quick swiping 2B last night.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Yep, totally agree.

It's just something about dumping him feels wrong. I'm sure that's on Walt's mind as we speak.

I'm sure it also can't help the whole chemistry aspect to get rid of him either. One of those tough times to be a boss and call a guy into the office.

vaticanplum
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
He's appealing.

Read this too quickly and thought you were just throwing in there that Devin is a nice guy.

PuffyPig
08-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Mez and BP put on the short DL, simply to get a glimpse of H-Rod or Didi, and Navarro. Knowing the Reds, they will play shorthanded though.

There is no short DL, except for concussions.

A glimpse of Navarro means he has to pass through waivers.

REDREAD
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
REDREAD,

I don't think it works that way any more, he can delay it, but I don't think its an automatic wait until the next trip to NYC to hear your appeal.

Thanks, I figured it worked differently in the 21st century :laugh:

I almost wonder if they are going to wait until after the Pirates series?
Wait until Leake and Homer's next turn?

Although as someone else said, maybe they expect the suspension to be reduced.. It seems that most of the time, on an appeal, the punishment is reduced (No hard evidence, that seems to be what my memory says)

cumberlandreds
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Fay said the appeal would be heard within two weeks. I would say they will wait to see how Phillips is doing. If they have to DL him they will bring up a catcher and drop the appeal and let Mez serve his three games.

jojo
08-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Might be one of the ticky tackiest suspensions ever.....

Nathan
08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
If they don't make a move for a second catcher to be available, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who on the current roster is the emergency catcher. Valdez?

I'm wanting to say it's Frazier.

edabbs44
08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm wanting to say it's Frazier.

If the situation presented itself, would you even contemplate bringing Aroldis in with Todd catching?

AtomicDumpling
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Mesoraco to the 7 day DL for a concussion. Dioner Navarro called up.

08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
What irks me is that the reason why Mesoraco went bizerk is because Fairchild accused him of making contact (when it was Fairchild making contact) and telling Mesoraco that he would be suspended for it. Had Fairchild kept his cool, Meseraco would have calmed down, and their would be no suspension.

George Foster
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Does he have to serve the 3 games after the 7 days on the DL? Or is it included?

The Reds have a real argument that he had the concussion BEFORE the brew-ha-ha with the home plate umpire, he was rattled, not himself, and should not have to serve the 3 games because the Reds and Mesoraco did not know about the concussion that just happened.

I'd buy it!:thumbup:

Big Klu
08-02-2012, 01:12 AM
The suspension would begin after he is activated from the DL.

RedsBaron
08-02-2012, 06:58 AM
What irks me is that the reason why Mesoraco went bizerk is because Fairchild accused him of making contact (when it was Fairchild making contact) and telling Mesoraco that he would be suspended for it. Had Fairchild kept his cool, Meseraco would have calmed down, and their would be no suspension.

I really hate the tactic of some umpires of refusing to just walk away and instead escalating the situation. Meseraco should have kept his cool but Fairchild's actions were bush league.

George Anderson
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I really hate the tactic of some umpires of refusing to just walk away and instead escalating the situation. Meseraco should have kept his cool but Fairchild's actions were bush league.

Yep, the way Fairchild handled that whole situation didnt set well with me either. He should have stayed cool and calmly told Mes he was ejected and needed to leave. Nothing more imo should have been said.

powersackers
08-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Ump was challenged pretty hard by Mes. Most umps would have done something very similar. I have no problem with either of their actions.

Always Red
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Ump was challenged pretty hard by Mes. Most umps would have done something very similar. I have no problem with either of their actions.

I agree; I think Mes was as much to blame for the escalation. He was supremely frustrated and it boiled over.

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
He was supremely frustrated and it boiled over.

Mes has a temper. No doubt about that.

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Mes has a temper. No doubt about that.

Yeah, the newspapers caught him screaming at a Reds pitcher (I think) in Washington earlier this season.