PDA

View Full Version : Moves: Broxton Added; Navarro Added; Redmond Optioned; Mesoraco to DL; Costanzo DFAed

camisadelgolf
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Today the Reds added to the roster RHP Jonathan Broxton (#50), optioned to Class AAA Louisville RHP Todd Redmond, placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list C Devin Mesoraco, selected from Louisville the contract of C Dioner Navarro (#30) and designated for assignment IF Mike Costanzo.

Navarro has spent the season at Louisville, where he was an International League mid-season All-Star (57g, .330, 11 2b, 4hr, 27rbi).

Tom Servo
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Can Mez try and claim he got a concussion from Fairchild? :laugh:

powersackers
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Navarro better not mess with the clubhouse chemistry. He has a bad rap for that from what I have read.

Scrap Irony
08-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Clever moves by Jocketty. Gives the team a full complement of guys (aside from Phillips). Navarro's bat, at this point, looks to be at least as good as Mesoraco's.

Shame about Todd Redmond, though. One day call-ups three different times without playing once. Designating Costanzo is not big loss. Dude was overmatched from the beginning.

kaldaniels
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
DFA in name (and salary?) only I figure for Constanzo. I'm guessing he's not going anywhere.

Brutus
This is definitely a very shrewd move by Jocketty to prepare for Mesoraco's suspension.

Crumbley
Poor Todd Redmond.

Brutus
08-01-2012, 07:02 PM
DFA in name (and salary?) only I figure for Constanzo. I'm guessing he's not going anywhere.

Correct. All this does is takes him off the 40-man roster when they assign him outright to Louisville.

redsmetz
08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Poor Todd Redmond.

I suspect he'll get his day and he seems to have dealt with this with good humor. Of course, the major league minimum for two days a pop doesn't hurt either (plus, likely, the per diems).

Tom Servo
08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Navarro better not mess with the clubhouse chemistry. He has a bad rap for that from what I have read.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgers/2011/08/dodgers-dioner-navarro.html

Remember BP and Rolen both had 'bad raps' when we got them as well. Navarro's issues seem to be more with management not liking him, not his teammates.

Brutus
This is brilliant strategy by the Reds.

When someone is called up, they can't be returned to the minors for 10 days. So by putting Mesoraco on the 7-day concussion list, they can activate him after one week, serve his 3-game suspension, and then Navarro can be returned to Louisville in 10 days.

Poor Todd Redmond.

Two days in the big leagues with $90 a day meal money and being able to say you're a major league ball player. I imagine after all the years in the minors, he's not too upset.

mbgrayson
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Two days in the big leagues with $90 a day meal money and being able to say you're a major league ball player. I imagine after all the years in the minors, he's not too upset.

Plus he gets paid MLB minimum while on the Reds 25 man roster...

Brutus
08-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Plus he gets paid MLB minimum while on the Reds 25 man roster...

A cool 2.5 g's every day he's on the roster.

08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
A cool 2.5 g's every day he's on the roster.

That's probably more than he makes in a month at Louisville.

Brutus
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM

It's about 6k a month for first-timers on a 40-man roster. After your first appearance on the 40-man, it becomes about 10k a month. So you're pretty close. Three days of being on the 25-man roster would be more than Redmond was making in a month at L'ville.

Big Klu
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Remember BP and Rolen both had 'bad raps' when we got them as well. Navarro's issues seem to be more with management not liking him, not his teammates.

Rolen's only "bad rap" was that he butted heads with people of questionable character (Larry Bowa, Tony LaRussa).

Danny Serafini
08-01-2012, 07:48 PM

When someone is called up, they can't be returned to the minors for 10 days. So by putting Mesoraco on the 7-day concussion list, they can activate him after one week, serve his 3-game suspension, and then Navarro can be returned to Louisville in 10 days.

I think you've got your rules mixed up, you can't return from the minors for 10 days after you're sent down. If it was the other way around Redmond would still be here for another nine days.

Kc61
08-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Yeah, the rule requires staying in the minors for ten days, not staying in the majors. Like Redmond keeps coming up for one or two days.

Nevertheless, I think you are on to something. I'd guess the Reds intend to let Navarro stay until after the suspension is served. Mes gets a nice vacation, maybe works on his hitting a little, Navarro will be needed for the suspension anyway.

Brutus
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I think you've got your rules mixed up, you can't return from the minors for 10 days after you're sent down. If it was the other way around Redmond would still be here for another nine days.

Yeah you're right. Temporary insanity.

The rule is you can't be sent to the minors and called back within 10 days unless it's for an injury.

Team Clark
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Plus a "moving expense" check for $15,000 (last time I checked) for your first call up in each organization. He was prob happy to see that loot last time.

edabbs44
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah you're right. Temporary insanity.

The rule is you can't be sent to the minors and called back within 10 days unless it's for an injury.

I cannot wait to bring this up in a few years.

Brutus
08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I cannot wait to bring this up in a few years.

I'm a little unclear on the etiquette; do I avoid my further embarrassment if I voluntarily add this to the "I was wrong about" thread or what? I'm not sure what rules we're going by these days lol

RichRed
08-02-2012, 08:27 AM

Ramon Hernandez, too.

Sea Ray
08-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Where'd you hear that? Seems to me Redmond got sent back within 10 days

REDREAD
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Ramon Hernandez had a reputation as a bad egg too, but was a model teammate in Cincy.

I think at times a player is unhappy for whatever reason, thus management and the press label him as a problem child, regardless of the truth.

I'm guessing Navaro is happy to be on the big league club and won't make waves. He was willing to accept a minor league contract as 3rd on the depth chart. He had to know it was somewhat of a longshot to even make the roster this year.

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Is Costanzo going back to the Yankees? ;)

WildcatFan
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM

I gotta tell ya, that lands him right into Dusty's wheelhouse. If Baker is good at anything, it's controlling a clubhouse. Nonsense doesn't fly with him.

RichRed
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Is Costanzo going back to the Yankees? ;)

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/124/933/1304376955947.png?1305859987

"It's not complicated."