PDA

View Full Version : Who goes down when Votto is ready?

George Foster
08-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I know we have at least another week but it's not to early to speculate.

Paul has been hot, and has speed...Dusty loves Cairo...he's a favorite...who else is on the chopping block?

Discuss...

reds44
08-01-2012, 11:52 PM
If it's anybody but Cairo there needs to be an investigation.

Nathan
08-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Ondrusek or Cairo is who it should be. It'll probably be Paul, though.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-02-2012, 12:04 AM
If it's anybody but Cairo there needs to be an investigation.

Agree. It's a tough thing to do, but it needs to be done.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-02-2012, 12:10 AM
With his IBB tonight, Paul has reached base 9 times in his 15 plate appearances with the Reds (.600 OBP).

Cairo has reached base 15 times in 90 PA's (.167 OBP). Ouch.

Danny Serafini
08-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I'd expect Cairo to come down with a "hamstring pull" or something of the sort that will require a DL stint until September 1. I can't see him being outright cut.

Scrap Irony
08-02-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd expect Cairo to come down with a "hamstring pull" or something of the sort that will require a DL stint until September 1. I can't see him being outright cut.

I think that's likely as well.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Exactly what I think. They won't embarrass him, and rightly so. He's done and the look on his face in the dugout after the failed bunt attempt (and I blame the staff for that. Why the bunt anyway?) he looked so upset. Don't put players in positions where they will fail. Dusty drives me crazy with his bunting.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Please do the inevitable and give Cairo a coaching position.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Prediction: the Reds will option Todd Redmond the day after he's called up and doesn't pitch.

DGullett35
08-02-2012, 04:56 AM

I also think this is how this situation will be handled. Let him come back Sept. 1st for one last hurrah. He deserves at least that with how hes helped this team both on the field and in the clubhouse the last 2.5 years.

membengal
08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Prediction: the Reds will option Todd Redmond the day after he's called up and doesn't pitch.

This post is full of win.

membengal
08-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Also, given that this team has no left-handed options on the bench other than Paul, and given how Paul has hit, it can't be Paul.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

It's a tough situation. Cairo has been key the last 2 seasons and has been invisible this season. But he's well liked in the clubhouse, and the concern would be chemistry if he got cut. I think a mystery injury would be the right thing to do too.

But I'd be upset if Paul was sent down and Cairo kept. This team has been in need of a LH bench bat all season or longer, and they finally got a guy who is LHed and hitting, and to think they'd send him down is downright dumb. He should stick. He makes things happen so far.

MikeS21
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Lets just get through the injuries to both Philllips and Valdez right now. You may see a lot more of Cairo than you have all year. And who knows, regular AB's may see him start to heat up and contribute.

But I do agree with the notion of a bunt. Other than the pitcher, I'm not real keen on them. It's not just Dusty calling them, but I think the majority of managers would have called for a bunt. I would have trusted Cairo as a veteran either to move the runner along to third base or even bring him in with a hit.

CySeymour
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
You never really know what is going to happen from now until the time Votto is ready to be activated. Another player could get injured, it happens. But at this point, obviously Fraizer has to stay, and Valdez is your only true middle infield back up. Paul is the only lefty off the bench, and he has been producing. Cairo, you were a great pick up and my hats off to you for being a valuable role player. But, your time is up.

WildcatFan
08-02-2012, 11:23 AM
At the risk of being flogged, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Cozart gets sent down to work on his swing and Valdez takes over at short for the time being. Wrong call, but I'd guess it's on the table.

CORRECTION: He's out of option years, duh. Carry on.

Homer Bailey
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
At the risk of being flogged, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Cozart gets sent down to work on his swing and Valdez takes over at short for the time being. Wrong call, but I'd guess it's on the table.

CORRECTION: He's out of option years, duh. Carry on.

Not only is that not going to happen (not even close), but Cozart is not out of options. Unless there is something I'm completely missing, he's used zero options.

Sea Ray
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Lets just get through the injuries to both Philllips and Valdez right now. You may see a lot more of Cairo than you have all year. And who knows, regular AB's may see him start to heat up and contribute.

But I do agree with the notion of a bunt. Other than the pitcher, I'm not real keen on them. It's not just Dusty calling them, but I think the majority of managers would have called for a bunt. I would have trusted Cairo as a veteran either to move the runner along to third base or even bring him in with a hit.

I don't like bunting guys from 2nd to third. He's already in scoring position, there's no DP in order, swing away and don't give up the out

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm bummed that Mez has to do his suspension, and the Reds have to play shorthanded (mandatory). With BP's injury, I was hoping they'd bring up Gregorius to play 2B so we could see him.

Before everyone jumps on me, I already know the answer. They won't bring him up because they don't want to start his ML clock.