PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 EPL Thread

5TimeWSChamps
08-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Well, we are around 17 days away from Matchday 1.

Saturday, August 18, 2012
Time Home Away TV Venue
10:00 ET Arsenal v Sunderland Emirates Stadium
10:00 ET Fulham v Norwich City Craven Cottage
10:00 ET Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City Loftus Road
10:00 ET Reading v Stoke City Madejski Stadium
10:00 ET West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool The Hawthorns
10:00 ET West Ham United v Aston Villa Upton Park
12:30 ET Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur Sports Direct Arena

improbus
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Where do you think Dempsey will end up? I remember hearing Arsenal last year, but Liverpool's name keeps surfacing. I would love to see him play for a big club.

BuckeyeRed27
08-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Where do you think Dempsey will end up? I remember hearing Arsenal last year, but Liverpool's name keeps surfacing. I would love to see him play for a big club.

I'm guessing he starts with Fulham and moves during the winter transfer window to Arsenal or Liverpool. Arsenal has to figure out the situation with RVP before they can grab Dempsey. He would be a great fit in that role though.

I'm going to have to upgrade to the DirectTV sports package here shortly I guess.

Australian Red
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
The English Championship is where the real football is played. Fingers crossed it's Leicester Citys year.

Will be a Manchester 1,2 this year again. Think City will be favourites but United signed Kawagchi who is an absolute star.

5TimeWSChamps
08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
The English Championship is where the real football is played. Fingers crossed it's Leicester Citys year.

Will be a Manchester 1,2 this year again. Think City will be favourites but United signed Kawagchi who is an absolute star.

Most likely.

Rumors are that RVP will end up at Juventus, which is fine with me.

Hopefully Cazorla signs

reds1869
08-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Drink up thy Cider, Bristol! The Mighty Robins will win the Championship and go to the prem. OK, not going to happen but I can dream.

reds1869
08-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Anyone think Dempsey stays at Craven Cottage? If not, where does he end up? Fulham is my favorite club (alongside the aforementioned Bristol City) and I really don't like the idea of losing another key player. Rumors are swirling of a move to Serie A which would be preferable to Liverpool.

Australian Red
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Fulham will always be one of those sides that struggle to retain there best players, they just don't have the supporter base or financial backing to retain there top players if bigger clubs come knocking.

Bristol may have some issues and will be in a relegation dog fight most of the season, especially after losing Maynard in the January transfer window. It puts a lot of pressure on Pittman and Stead who are capable but i just can't see the mids giving them enough service.

BuckeyeRed27
08-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Fulham needs to get rid of Dempsey because he is gone after he season. Like I said above I think it might be the winter transfer window, but it will happen. Selfishly I hope he stays in the EPL because it is hard to see most Serie A games here.

Yachtzee
08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Wherever Dempsey goes, I hope it's with a Champions League contender where he'll start. I'd rather he didn't go to a team loaded with offense where he ends up being a late sub.

Australian Red
08-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Wherever Dempsey goes, I hope it's with a Champions League contender where he'll start. I'd rather he didn't go to a team loaded with offense where he ends up being a late sub.

He is a decent player but he will not end up at a Champions league contender, assuming by contender you mean a team with a chance to win the Champions League. In no way is he good enough to be a starter for the likes of Bayern Munich, Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Inter, Barca or Real.

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Cazorla is a Gooner!

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/08/official-cazorla-is-a-gooner/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Cazorla is a Gooner!

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/08/official-cazorla-is-a-gooner/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

reds1869
08-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Bristol may have some issues and will be in a relegation dog fight most of the season, especially after losing Maynard in the January transfer window. It puts a lot of pressure on Pittman and Stead who are capable but i just can't see the mids giving them enough service.

I agree, unfortunately. Missing out on promotion a few years back was devastating. A lot of money went into the push and when it didn't quite happen the club hit the panic button. A club like City doesn't have much room for error. The keeper situation will also be interesting this year.

I will spend my time watching Fulham try to claw out of mid-table in the Premier League as Championship matches are shown sparingly here and Bristol rarely features. Apparently I have a soft spot for underdogs (my support of both stems from time spent in England a few years back).

Yachtzee
08-08-2012, 12:12 AM
He is a decent player but he will not end up at a Champions league contender, assuming by contender you mean a team with a chance to win the Champions League. In no way is he good enough to be a starter for the likes of Bayern Munich, Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Inter, Barca or Real.

I should have clarified that I meant contender for a Champions League spot. He's not of the level to start for those teams, but I think he's good enough to start for a team that's usually on the bubble between a Champions League and Europa League berth.

5TimeWSChamps
08-08-2012, 01:46 AM
I should have clarified that I meant contender for a Champions League spot. He's not of the level to start for those teams, but I think he's good enough to start for a team that's usually on the bubble between a Champions League and Europa League berth.

His best bet would go to a team in any league other than the EPL or La Liga then

Australian Red
08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I agree, unfortunately. Missing out on promotion a few years back was devastating. A lot of money went into the push and when it didn't quite happen the club hit the panic button. A club like City doesn't have much room for error. The keeper situation will also be interesting this year.

I noticed you signed Tommy Heaton from Cardiff, he would of signed unless he was assured of being the first choice keeper. Whilst he was the backup keeper for Cardiff he was the keeper in their Carling Cup run that got them to the final including the penalty shoot out against Palace.

NJReds
08-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Nice buildup followed by a goal from Torres to give Chelsea a 1-0 lead over Man City in the Community Shield match.

Edit: Oops. Chelsea down to 10 men now in the 43' due to a straight red on Ivanovic for a crunching foul. Should be an interesting second half.

NJReds
08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Toure ties it at 1-1. Man City pressing shorthanded Chelsea now.

Edit: Tevez makes it 2-1 Man City. (59') ... Nasri makes it 3-1 ('65). Chelsea under constant pressure.

NJReds
08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Bertrand brings Chelsea to w/in a goal. 3-2 w/10 minutes left. This has been a very entertaining game.

FINAL ... good game. Looking forward to the start of the season next week.

5TimeWSChamps
08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
6 days away!

Arsenal destroyed Cologne today 4-0. Podolski has 2, Gervinho had 1, and Vermaelan had 1.

Cazorla is sick, He's awesome.

Van Persie came on in the 68th minute and immediately took the captain's armband. Read into it what you will, but I still hope he is staying.

5TimeWSChamps
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Crap, and now it's looking like Arsenal are in fact going to sell RvP to Manchester United.

What a bunch of bull

BuckeyeRed27
08-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Crap, and now it's looking like Arsenal are in fact going to sell RvP to Manchester United.

What a bunch of bull

I'll wait until it's official, but I don't get this move unless they are paying A LOT (which they probably are).

5TimeWSChamps
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
I'll wait until it's official, but I don't get this move unless they are paying A LOT (which they probably are).

They are saying $22 mil for him.

My question is, if you win the EPL Title, how much is the monetary difference between 1st and 3rd?

I'll go ahead and venture it's more than $22 mil, and with Van Persie, they have a legitimate shot at the title this year

5TimeWSChamps
08-14-2012, 03:46 AM
So I signed up for Fantasy Premier League on the premier league website. Here's my lineup for Week 1 (Reading and Chelsea are the only teams that play twice, thus why I have 3 of each of their players (The max allowed per team per week))

substitute player Player information Man City Hart Goalkeeper 0.0 0 166 SOU (H)
substitute player Player information Man City Kompany captain Defender 0.0 0 145 SOU (H)
substitute player Player information Chelsea Cole A Defender 0.0 0 111 WIG (A), RDG (H)
substitute player Player information Reading Pearce Defender 0.0 0 0 STO (H), CHE (A)
substitute player Player information Tottenham Walker Defender 0.0 0 140 NEW (A)
substitute player Player information Fulham Dempsey vice-captain Midfielder 0.0 0 209 NOR (H)
substitute player Player information Chelsea Mata Midfielder 0.0 0 162 WIG (A), RDG (H)
substitute player Player information Reading Guthrie Midfielder 0.0 0 35 STO (H), CHE (A)
substitute player Player information Man Utd Valencia Midfielder 0.0 0 140 EVE (A)
substitute player Player information Chelsea Sturridge Forward 0.0 0 128 WIG (A), RDG (H)
substitute player Player information Reading Le Fondre Forward 0.0 0 0 STO (H), CHE (A)

BuckeyeRed27
08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
They are saying $22 mil for him.

My question is, if you win the EPL Title, how much is the monetary difference between 1st and 3rd?

I'll go ahead and venture it's more than $22 mil, and with Van Persie, they have a legitimate shot at the title this year

Arsenal's website is reporting it is a done deal. Transfer fee is 24MM. On the bright side this is the defition of selling high and that is a lot of money that can be used elsewhere.

However making a big rival better right before the season starts is never a good thing.

improbus
08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
It seems to me like the price was a little low. He scored a massive amount of goals last year and is exactly what United need. Also, Arsenal haven't exactly taken their transfer money and thrown it directly into the senior club very often, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for some big splash on their part.

improbus
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
This is a really cool website that catalogues all of the transfers done. I especially love the overview of each league.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/statistiken/startseite/transfers.html

BuckeyeRed27
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
It seems to me like the price was a little low. He scored a massive amount of goals last year and is exactly what United need. Also, Arsenal haven't exactly taken their transfer money and thrown it directly into the senior club very often, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for some big splash on their part.

I'm sure the number of 21 year French soccer players going to London is about to explode, but I can always hope for Neymar right?

RVP is 29 so the fee seems to be about right. I think the new FFP rules have some impact on what teams can spend as well.

improbus
08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm sure the number of 21 year French soccer players going to London is about to explode, but I can always hope for Neymar right?

RVP is 29 so the fee seems to be about right. I think the new FFP rules have some impact on what teams can spend as well.
Tell that to PSG and Chelsea.

Australian Red
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Arsenal would never spend the full 24 mil on players, well not whilst they are still heavily in debt from the Emirates Stadium. Plus they had already signed 2 strikers in the off season.

On a brighter note my boys started off the season with a nice 4 nil win in the League cup

5TimeWSChamps
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I wonder if they look to Dempsey now for around $10 mil.

They've spent $36 mil so far on Giroud/Podolski/Cazorla, after the RVP/Vela sale, they have to be close to $28 mil or so in money going out.

Spending $8 mil in the offseason isn't going to appease a lot of the fans.

Now if they sell Song for $20 mil to Barcelona, they better spend more money, or else the rioting could begin.

improbus
08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I know this is a Premier League thread, but I simply can't believe what PSG did. If you remove PSG from Ligue 1, the league net gained 67 million dollar this year. But, because of PSG's crazy spending, they actually lost 128 million as a league. PSG spent almost 200 million on transfer fees. Wow.

Australian Red
08-16-2012, 02:54 AM
I know this is a Premier League thread, but I simply can't believe what PSG did. If you remove PSG from Ligue 1, the league net gained 67 million dollar this year. But, because of PSG's crazy spending, they actually lost 128 million as a league. PSG spent almost 200 million on transfer fees. Wow.

Didn't help them much in there first game but i agree Silva, Moura, Lavezz and Ibrahimovic (he may be old but still class) they are some signings. Will take a bit of time to gel tho.

Can only see Lyon getting close to them really.

Look out for them in the Champions League.

5TimeWSChamps
08-16-2012, 03:37 AM
The bottom line is that I want to win trophies with Arsenal, not with anybody else. I know you can win trophies in many countries and in many ways, but I want to do that in our way and in an Arsenal shirt.

‘I’m sure I could win things at another team in another country, but would it feel like our trophy, my trophy? I’m not sure it would. Anything we win here will come from the heart and that’s what I want. It’s my dream and I see no point in speaking about other teams when I have these dreams. I think other people know that about me; I’m just hungry to win with Arsenal and that’s it – Robin van Persie, February 2011

BuckeyeRed27
08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Dempsey is refusing to play for Fulham and has been fined.

Arsenal has sold Song to Barca but don't know for how much yet.

RVP signed a 4 year deal with Man U (I just threw up in my mouth).

Soccer starts tomorrow morning at 7am and I cannot friggin wait!

reds1869
08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Dempsey is refusing to play for Fulham and has been fined.

Clint Who? Brilliant play from Fulham today. :beerme:

Tony Cloninger
08-19-2012, 03:18 PM
We in the US think of the big market teams hoarding for players....but European soccer to me is the joke.

I mean why bother with any league.....just make a super league instead of a Champions League.

bucksfan2
08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Other than Dempsey and a few GK, are there any other Americans playing in the EPL?

BuckeyeRed27
08-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Other than Dempsey and a few GK, are there any other Americans playing in the EPL?

Dempsey and Howard are the top 2 players. Geoff Cameron just signed with Stoke. Stu Holden, who has been injured for the past year, and Tim Ream play for Bolton, however they were relegated last season. It sounds like Maurice Edu is going to sign with Ipswich, who is also in the 2nd division. I think that's everyone.

5TimeWSChamps
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Mind the gap, Robin

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

5TimeWSChamps
08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Arsenal Top 10 Goals 2011-2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Ic7xe6zrQ&feature=related)

This video would be awesome if 70% of the goals weren't scored by players no longer at Arsenal

Australian Red
08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
God it was good to see Liverpool get flogged 5-0 first game of the season and to a team that will finish in the bottom half too.

Tony Cloninger
08-23-2012, 11:32 AM
God it was good to see Liverpool get flogged 5-0 first game of the season and to a team that will finish in the bottom half too.

They lost 3-0 not 5-0. The other team got some help from the ref on the 2nd goal as well.

improbus
08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Has anyone played "Football Manager"? It seems pretty intense.

reds1869
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM

I am addicted. FM is a tremendous game that will eat hours of your life at a time.

5TimeWSChamps
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
It's unreal.

I sit down to play for what feels like 20 minutes, and it's been 3 hours

Australian Red
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Intense game as some said time flys when you play this game, remember playing football manager 1999/2000.

Really looking forward to watching Newcastle V Chelsea at the Bridge. Can't see the Maggies sitting back and defending even tho it is away from home.

Also my boys playing away at the newly relegated Blackburn need a win after dropping a winable game during the week.

improbus
08-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Rooney's gash was pretty nasty. My question: Was there a big chunk of Rooney skin stuck on that guys boot? Or was it on the pitch? Yuck.

reds1869
08-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Rooney's gash was pretty nasty. My question: Was there a big chunk of Rooney skin stuck on that guys boot? Or was it on the pitch? Yuck.

One of the scariest injuries I've seen. If Hugo had come down just a little differently it could have been much worse.

5TimeWSChamps
08-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Champions League Draw tomorrow at 11:30am. We should make this just the soccer thread

Pot 1
Chelsea
FC Barcelona
Manchester United
FC Bayern Munchen
Real Madrid
Arsenal FC
FC Porto
AC Milan

Pot 2
Valencia CF
SL Benfica
FC Shakhtar Donetsk
FC Zenit St Petersburg
FC Schalke
Manchester City FC
SC Braga
FC Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 3
Olympiacos FC
AFC Ajax
RSC Anderlecht
Juventus
FC Spartak Moskva
Paris Saint-Germain FC
LOSC Lille
Galatasaray

Pot 4
Celtic FC
Borussia Dortmund
FC BATE Borisov
GNK Dinamo Zagreb
CFR 1907 Cluj
Malaga CF
Montpellier Herault
FC Nordsjælland

5TimeWSChamps
08-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Funniest GD rumor ever...

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/30/barcelona-midfielder-cesc-fabregas-linked-with-surprise-arsenal-return/

BuckeyeRed27
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
CL Draw: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1316668-champions-league-draw-2012-complete-results-and-bracket

Very solid Group of Death this year: Real Madrid, Man City, Ajax and Dortmund. Every team won their league last year.

reds1869
08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
CL Draw: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1316668-champions-league-draw-2012-complete-results-and-bracket

Very solid Group of Death this year: Real Madrid, Man City, Ajax and Dortmund. Every team won their league last year.

I smile thinking of Madrid or City missing the knockout stages. Brutal group.

bucksfan2
08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I recently started watching EPL. I used to quasi follow Bayern Munich but its hard to find them on TV. Anyway I bought a few shares of Manchester United stock so I am an owner (:p) and a fan! Occasionally I will flip to Fox Soccer and watch the game that is being played. I did find Man City's style pretty fun to watch. The Liverpool Man City game a few days ago was entertaining to watch.

I have found that regular season games are much more open than the big tournaments (Euro, World Cup, etc.) Its almost as if in the major tournaments the midfielders control the game and cup while in league play its the forwards who control the game.

BuckeyeRed27
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Here is the CL groups.

Group
A Porto Dynamo Kiev Paris Saint-Germain Dinamo Zagreb
B Arsenal Schalke Olympiacos Montpellier
C AC Milan Zenit St. Petersburg Anderlecht Malaga
D Real Madrid Manchester City Ajax Borussia Dortmund
E Chelsea Shakhtar Donetsk Juventus Nordsjaelland
F Bayern Munich Valencia Lille Bate Borisov
G Barcelona Benfica Spartak Moskow Celtic
H Manchester United Braga Galatasaray CFR Cluj

5TimeWSChamps
08-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Have fun with that Man City

improbus
08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I have found that regular season games are much more open than the big tournaments (Euro, World Cup, etc.) Its almost as if in the major tournaments the midfielders control the game and cup while in league play its the forwards who control the game.

Absolutely. If you hold the ball too long in the Premier League, you will have surgeons reattaching your ACL's in no time. Continental players are often hit or miss in England and those that are successful tend to be the more physical and/or direct players (Van Persie, Cantona, etc...). To me, it is the most attractive league wide football (from team 1 through 20) in the world. Watch Teams like Newcastle, Swansea City, and Everton to see some wonderful play.

reds1869
08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
To me, it is the most attractive league wide football (from team 1 through 20) in the world.

I love the Premier League, but I have to go with the Brasileiro on the attractiveness front. You know that dynamic teenage Brazilian on your favorite European team? Yep, there is a league full of them.

paintmered
08-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Have fun with that Man City

That's a true group of death. :eek:

improbus
08-30-2012, 10:12 PM
I love the Premier League, but I have to go with the Brasileiro on the attractiveness front. You know that dynamic teenage Brazilian on your favorite European team? Yep, there is a league full of them.
Your probably right. I've never watched the league. But, I have easy access to watch almost every EPL game, so I'll stick with that for now.

reds1869
08-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Fulham have announced the signings of Dimitar Berbatov and Kieran Richardson. Very nice pick ups for the Whites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/31/dimitar-berbatov-tottenham-alex-ferguson

BuckeyeRed27
08-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Dempsey has apparently signed with Spurs.

Happy for Clint, but not super happy as an Arsenal fan.

In other American player news Maurice Edu offically signed with Stoke and Bocanegra got himself out of the Scottish 4th division to the Spanish 2nd division with Racing Santander.

Yachtzee
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Dempsey has apparently signed with Spurs.

Happy for Clint, but not super happy as an Arsenal fan.

In other American player news Maurice Edu offically signed with Stoke and Bocanegra got himself out of the Scottish 4th division to the Spanish 2nd division with Racing Santander.

I was thinking Spurs might be the best place for him. They're good enough challenge for a Champions League or Europa League spot without being so stacked in offence that he never sees the field.

reds1869
09-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Fulham's back four looked like they had just met in the dressing room for the first time. West Ham just seems to be "that team" for Fulham.

The Spurs-Norwich match was pretty entertaining today. I have to agree with improbus about the 1-20 competitiveness of the Premier League. A very big name team or two could go down next spring.

improbus
09-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Fulham's back four looked like they had just met in the dressing room for the first time. West Ham just seems to be "that team" for Fulham.

The Spurs-Norwich match was pretty entertaining today. I have to agree with improbus about the 1-20 competitiveness of the Premier League. A very big name team or two could go down next spring.

See: Villa.

improbus
09-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Arsenal fans: How much do you hate Claude Giroux? Has he done a single thing right? Cazorla and Podolski have looked good and complementary, but Giroux has been unfathomably bad.

5TimeWSChamps
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Claude Giroux plays for the Flyers, LOL

Olivier Giroud...he needs to get off the schneid. Also doesn't have a lot of pace it seems like.

But hey, 2 goals! And even with Howard Webb reffing

improbus
09-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Claude Giroux plays for the Flyers, LOL

Olivier Giroud...he needs to get off the schneid. Also doesn't have a lot of pace it seems like.

But hey, 2 goals! And even with Howard Webb reffing

Oops, I didn't know his first name and google searched. I should have known better. Claude is awesome, but Olivier has been really bad so far.

improbus
09-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Most impressive so far: West Brom. They have wins over Everton and Liverpool and a draw with Spurs. Very good.

Also, Liverpool are off to a terrible start, but they have seen a surging West Brom, Man City, and a desperate to score Arsenal. Not the easiest of starts.

5TimeWSChamps
09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Heck of a run by Podolski leading up to the Arsenal goal

5TimeWSChamps
09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Podolski with a 25 yd FK goal. Fantastic

reds1869
09-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Fulham drubs West Brom at The Cottage and QPR hold Chelsea to a scoreless draw. A good day indeed!

improbus
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
A very strange start to the season. Arsenal with the best goals against record, West Brom as giant killers, Liverpool in relegation land.

None of the top teams seem to be playing that well. I still think it is City's title to lose (due to their overwhelming depth), but if Chelsea get a good Torres and United stay healthy, either of them could walk away champions.

5TimeWSChamps
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
City vs Arsenal this Sunday

BuckeyeRed27
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Champions League is back.

Arsenal come from behind to beat Montpellier 2-1 on the road.

City went up twice against Real Madird only to lose 3-2. Ronaldo scored the winner. Can't wait to watch that one later. I hope the hang over from that loss lasts all the way until Sunday :D

M2
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM
The Madrid-City score may have been 3-2, but there was an ocean between them in terms of controlling the game. City may be frustrated it didn't get a smash-and-grab win, but Madrid played them out of their socks for most of the game.

The matches between City and Dortmund are going to determine how that group shakes out. And I highly recommend watching the German league. I think it's the most entertaining league on the planet at the moment.

Anderlecht getting draw at Milan was a bit of stunner. I'm expecting Chelsea to roll on Juve (the Italian league is turning into a shambles).

Arsenal looks legit (hooray Spanish midfielders - speaking of which did you see QPR's Esteban Granero boss the game against Chelsea this past weekend).

Everton is my pick for surprise team this season. Usually they get off to a horrible start, but so far they're doing all right. If they can hang in the top half of the table the next two months, they'll be plenty dangerous during their usual winter-spring surge.

5TimeWSChamps
09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/262?cc=5901

Interesting stuff

improbus
09-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Anyone watching the Everton v. Swansea match? My favorite things so far:
-Fellaini is a monster and some big clubs will be chasing him in the January transfer window.
-Roger Bennett from the Men in Blazers podcast calls Swansea the Welsh Barcelona (but I haven't seen it yet)
-Please research the Thai Airways logo. It shows up on the advertising boards around the pitch. It is an outstanding.

Ohayou
09-22-2012, 10:05 AM
For the first time, Everton is not massively struggling with injuries. They've got a very good team in all areas. Top 6 for sure, possibly higher if other teams don't live up to expectations.

Tony Cloninger
09-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Soooo. ....when Pretty Boy was at man U.... SIR Alexis had no problem cajoling and complaining about Ronaldo being hit too hard and the refs needed to call it.

He was and he deserved to have some calls sure....but then it became just an issue of him diving. Of course.... when it's the other team doing it, well it is a disgrace. That late penalty call was garbage but that is what Man U seems to look for and get when they have nothing else.....and they do get it. Valencia was going down before contact even came. You are going to call that...you could have called it on Suarez and Sterling too, and do not give me that BS rep stuff either. You cal it ....as it is and as it happens.

You can joke about Italian soccer scandals but the refs in the EPL know who's arse to shine for.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 01:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ioDVK.jpg

BuckeyeRed27
10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
NBC just won the exclusive rights to broadcast the EPL for the next 3 seasons. Sounds like they are going to pump NBC and NBC Sports full of games and do a lot of cross promotional stuff with the MLS. I'm happy for this because as a DirectTV subscriber I had to pay extra for Fox Soccer and I don't for NBC Sports.

reds1869
10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
NBC just won the exclusive rights to broadcast the EPL for the next 3 seasons. Sounds like they are going to pump NBC and NBC Sports full of games and do a lot of cross promotional stuff with the MLS. I'm happy for this because as a DirectTV subscriber I had to pay extra for Fox Soccer and I don't for NBC Sports.

Fox Soccer is doomed when you also consider the beIN Sport deals. The only thing they have left is sub-licensed Scottish matches, a few MLS games a week and international qualifiers.

improbus
10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Fox Soccer is doomed when you also consider the beIN Sport deals. The only thing they have left is sub-licensed Scottish matches, a few MLS games a week and international qualifiers.
Don't they still have the Champions League? It isn't a consistent event, but it might keep them afloat.

bucksfan2
10-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Could Fox soccer get the Spanish League? Italian league? German league?

On a side note, the path NBC is going down certainly is interesting. They have horse racing, Sunday Night Football, and a few NHL games, and now the EPL. With the exception of the Olympics and a 8 ND football games a year they are more of a nitch network.

BuckeyeRed27
10-30-2012, 12:08 PM

On a side note, the path NBC is going down certainly is interesting. They have horse racing, Sunday Night Football, and a few NHL games, and now the EPL. With the exception of the Olympics and a 8 ND football games a year they are more of a nitch network.

Don't forget round the clock Tour de France coverage and a whole bunch of fishing.

I actually like their strategy. It is pretty niche, but for the most part they have sports that have a very loyal following and also tend to be followed by people with higher incomes. That is good stuff for advertisers.

I believe beIn Sports has the bid for the Spain and Italy, not sure about Germany.

WMR
10-30-2012, 12:11 PM

Nitch? :laugh:

bucksfan2
10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Nitch? :laugh:

Make fun of the kid who can spell!

reds1869
10-30-2012, 10:41 PM

The Spanish, Italian and French leagues are on beIN Sport for the forseeable future. The Bundesliga is on Gol TV through 2015. Fox might be able to purchase some games from the rights holders but Al Jazeera has been pretty firm in saying they won't sell any games and NBC seems to be taking the same stance on MLS matches. The Champions League might help Fox somewhat but I don't think it can sustain them for long.

BuckeyeRed27
10-31-2012, 11:09 AM
If you haven't seen highlights from yesterday's Arsenal vs. Reading League Cup match you should do that now.

Reading took a 4-0 lead early in the first half. Arsenal rallied and tied the game late in stoppage time to force extra time. They took the lead 5-4 only to give it back a couple minutes later before scoring two goals in the last two minutes of the game to win 7-5. Crazy.

reds1869
10-31-2012, 11:27 AM
If you haven't seen highlights from yesterday's Arsenal vs. Reading League Cup match you should do that now.

Reading took a 4-0 lead early in the first half. Arsenal rallied and tied the game late in stoppage time to force extra time. They took the lead 5-4 only to give it back a couple minutes later before scoring two goals in the last two minutes of the game to win 7-5. Crazy.

If I were forced to watch the matches of only one club for the rest of my life I would choose Arsenal. If every team played like them soccer would explode in popularity here in the US. They've come a long way from the days of "One-Nil To The Arsenal."

Yachtzee
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
The Spanish, Italian and French leagues are on beIN Sport for the forseeable future. The Bundesliga is on Gol TV through 2015. Fox might be able to purchase some games from the rights holders but Al Jazeera has been pretty firm in saying they won't sell any games and NBC seems to be taking the same stance on MLS matches. The Champions League might help Fox somewhat but I don't think it can sustain them for long.

That sucks for Fox Soccer. If they're to stick around, I think maybe you have to see something where Fox makes a move to buy out beIN or GolTV to get the rights to those leagues. I think something has to happen and maybe the pressure comes from the Spanish, Italian, French and German leagues to get more American eyeballs on their games. BeIn and GolTV just aren't available on the number of cable networks Fox Soccer is. Fox Soccer is available on most major cable and satellite carriers and is often part of the main tier of programming, whereas BeIn and GolTV are mainly on DirectTV and Dish and you have to pay for the special sports tier to get them, right?

5TimeWSChamps
11-21-2012, 06:28 AM
So Roberto Di Matteo was sacked as Chelsea manager this morning.

What a GD embarrassment.

Who the hell would actually want that job these days?

improbus
11-21-2012, 09:04 AM
So Roberto Di Matteo was sacked as Chelsea manager this morning.

What a GD embarrassment.

Who the hell would actually want that job these days?

If you still get paid, I'm in. Also, I don't think managers have had a hard time finding work after working with Chelsea. So, put up with 6 months, get paid, and then get another job.

M2
11-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Interesting first game for Harry Redknapp at QPR. He's got talent on that team. Stephane M'Bia at DM seemed to sort a few things out. He and El Pirata are an awfully talented central midfield. Expect Junior Hoilett to get some more work up top as the team goes hunting for goals.

And I wonder if Harry might be able to work a loan for his nephew, Frank Lampard, during the January transfer window.

BuckeyeRed27
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
I was very excited to learn that FSC was added to the DirectTV package so I could watch Arsenal this morning. Then Kos got a red in the 9th minute and my excitement was gone. This team is just depressing. 21 points behind ManU and I think RVP just scored again.

M2
01-18-2013, 11:54 PM
I was very excited to learn that FSC was added to the DirectTV package so I could watch Arsenal this morning. Then Kos got a red in the 9th minute and my excitement was gone. This team is just depressing. 21 points behind ManU and I think RVP just scored again.

It's going to be a real fight for those final two Champions League spots. Arsenal is as vulnerable as ever. Chelsea is in transition. Tottenham have all the necessary pieces to claim one of those slots. And if Everton goes on its customary second half run then it could be one of the shocks of the year.

5TimeWSChamps
01-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Atkinson - 2
Arsenal - 1

Tony Cloninger
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
The sooner Sir Alex retires the better for EPL. Great manager..... owns the press and basically the FA. Can complain and whine and berate refs at his leisure.....but never punished. Reminds of when Landry and the Cowboys would lose back in the 70's....blaming everything else and allowed to basically skirt by with their whining and moaning.

Was that a clear penalty on Rooney? I am sure if it was Saurez or Bale..... and it would have been called against Man U ...Sir Alex would have choked the ref right there and then. But I digress.... English players cna dive and it's "very tactical" or sweeped under the rug, unless you play for Man U as well.

M2
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
The sooner Sir Alex retires the better for EPL. Great manager..... owns the press and basically the FA. Can complain and whine and berate refs at his leisure.....but never punished. Reminds of when Landry and the Cowboys would lose back in the 70's....blaming everything else and allowed to basically skirt by with their whining and moaning.

Was that a clear penalty on Rooney? I am sure if it was Saurez or Bale..... and it would have been called against Man U ...Sir Alex would have choked the ref right there and then. But I digress.... English players cna dive and it's "very tactical" or sweeped under the rug, unless you play for Man U as well.

I don't care for his whining either, though he's a brilliant manager. I suspect somewhere in his mind he believes grousing about that one call will deflect attention from the fact that Tottenham were the better team today.

WMR
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Is Dempsey the most accomplished/respected Nat in EPL and/or European history?

bucksfan2
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't care for his whining either, though he's a brilliant manager. I suspect somewhere in his mind he believes grousing about that one call will deflect attention from the fact that Tottenham were the better team today.

It was a fun game to watch thats for sure. I follow Man U on twitter and saw the buzz about Sir Alex calling out the ref. Granted I don't follow soccer to large extent, but did someone sow him the replay of the play? The announcers and the replay pretty clearly show that Ronney wasn't fouled.

As for Dempsey I think what separates him from the better plays in the league is the better players are much better finishers. Dempsey has several chances to put the ball in the net but didn't do so. They were plays that a guy like RVP scores on. Just my novice opinion.

WMR
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Nat = American.

OldRightHander
01-22-2013, 12:35 AM

Maybe so. I was so glad to see him get that goal against ManU.

M2
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM

Pretty much. He's by far the top field player. After him it's either Dolo or Earnie Stewart. You could also argue for Brian McBride or Roy Wegerle, though Wegerle didn't join the USMNT until the downside of his career. Howard and Friedel are having fairly awesome careers in the net, but keepers are an entirely different animal.

As for Dempsey I think what separates him from the better plays in the league is the better players are much better finishers. Dempsey has several chances to put the ball in the net but didn't do so. They were plays that a guy like RVP scores on. Just my novice opinion.

Dempsey's not an out-and-out striker. He scores goals, but his job is to grease the wheels of the overall attack. He hits you from different angles, finds soft spots, plays a good final ball, makes the pass that sets up the final ball. Players like Dempsey actually make more happen than most nominal goalscorers. Dempsey's an important attacking player on a very good Spurs team. He is one of the better players in the league, not elite, but awfully good.

And even great finishers miss most of their chances. RVP's been on a tear for a year-plus, but prior to that he was prone to disappearing on the field and missing sitters. Scoring is tough.

bucksfan2
01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Dempsey's not an out-and-out striker. He scores goals, but his job is to grease the wheels of the overall attack. He hits you from different angles, finds soft spots, plays a good final ball, makes the pass that sets up the final ball. Players like Dempsey actually make more happen than most nominal goalscorers. Dempsey's an important attacking player on a very good Spurs team. He is one of the better players in the league, not elite, but awfully good.

And even great finishers miss most of their chances. RVP's been on a tear for a year-plus, but prior to that he was prone to disappearing on the field and missing sitters. Scoring is tough.

In the game on Sun I thought Bale did exactly what you described Dempsey doing. He was actually the most impressive player on the pitch for a long part of the game.

I guess my comment on Dempsey was based more upon the Man U game. It seemed like he had many opportunities to score but was unable to do so. Part of it is being in the right place and then the other part is putting the ball in the back of the net.

You said Tottenham is a very good club, where do they rank in regards to the other EPL teams? Below Man U and City? Below Chelsey and Arsenol?

M2
01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
In the game on Sun I thought Bale did exactly what you described Dempsey doing. He was actually the most impressive player on the pitch for a long part of the game.

I guess my comment on Dempsey was based more upon the Man U game. It seemed like he had many opportunities to score but was unable to do so. Part of it is being in the right place and then the other part is putting the ball in the back of the net.

You said Tottenham is a very good club, where do they rank in regards to the other EPL teams? Below Man U and City? Below Chelsey and Arsenol?

Bale's awesome, arguably the best winger in the EPL and the best player Spurs have got at the moment. He's the latest guy to make England fans regret that Wales plays as its own separate nation rather than as part of the English national team.

Dempsey would have scored earlier in that game, but De Gea robbed him. Yet he also was a key reason why Man U was back on their heels most of the game.

Tottenham's sitting 4th this season and finished 4th last season. It's in the Chelsea-Arsenal tier. Last season it finished essentially even with Arsenal and ahead of Chelsea. Chelsea's done a ton of reloading over the past year - Cahill, Hazard, Oscar, Azpilicueta, Moses, Ba - so it looks like it might have leapfrogged Tottenham a bit (which also did a fair amount of reloading). Yet Arsenal's sagging below both of them at the moment. Obviously there's a lot of season to play still, but right now Tottenham looks like it should win a Champions League slot.

The Manchesters are the class of the league, though I don't think they're that far ahead of everyone else in terms of quality. What really separates Man U is it grinds out results like no one's business. It turns draws into wins, and losses into draws (e.g. should have lost to Tottenham, but salvaged a point out of it, almost stole three).

NJReds
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Pretty much. He's by far the top field player. After him it's either Dolo or Earnie Stewart. You could also argue for Brian McBride or Roy Wegerle, though Wegerle didn't join the USMNT until the downside of his career. Howard and Friedel are having fairly awesome careers in the net, but keepers are an entirely different animal.

Caught Roma v. Inter yesterday in Serie A, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the progress of Michael Bradley. He played brilliant midfield and set up numerous scorning chances that Roma's strikers failed to convert.

He seems so much more confident in that playmaking role. I have to admit, I thought he got promoted too quickly to the USMNT because he was the coach's son. But I like the way he's developed his game.

IslandRed
01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Bale's awesome, arguably the best winger in the EPL and the best player Spurs have got at the moment. He's the latest guy to make England fans regret that Wales plays as its own separate nation rather than as part of the English national team.

Speaking of Wales -- as a relative latecomer to soccer and the EPL, I have to admit that I like Swansea as much as any team right now. The storyline of being the first Welsh team to be promoted to the top tier was cool, but I like the passing game they play, and now that Rodgers has gone to Liverpool I'm finding myself catching their games too. I just like the Barcelona style, I guess, I was rooting for Spain by the end of the 2010 World Cup.

I did make the determination that, since I didn't grow up a fan of any of these teams, I wasn't going to be a front-runner and latch onto the three or four usual suspects. I mean, what would we think of an expat Brit who just discovered baseball and decided he was going to be a fan of the Yankees or Red Sox? Poser, right?

WMR
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
It's much easier to be a fan of a big club (More coverage) so I understand it from that perspective. Since I wasn't "born" with a team, I find myself more floating around to whichever team at the moment has players that I like. Was a big Reading fan for awhile...

Mainly just like to see the amazing highlights and great match ups...

improbus
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
It's much easier to be a fan of a big club (More coverage) so I understand it from that perspective. Since I wasn't "born" with a team, I find myself more floating around to whichever team at the moment has players that I like. Was a big Reading fan for awhile...

I agree. It is nice to have a sport that I can watch without being tethered to one team. It allows me to watch the good games and ignore poor ones.

M2
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Caught Roma v. Inter yesterday in Serie A, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the progress of Michael Bradley. He played brilliant midfield and set up numerous scorning chances that Roma's strikers failed to convert.

He seems so much more confident in that playmaking role. I have to admit, I thought he got promoted too quickly to the USMNT because he was the coach's son. But I like the way he's developed his game.

Bradley's a heck of a player. He's got a chance to set a new bar. Certainly he's proving that there was a lot more than nepotism to his national team inclusion back when dad was coaching.

Speaking of Wales -- as a relative latecomer to soccer and the EPL, I have to admit that I like Swansea as much as any team right now.

Swansea is a fun team. They play the game with a lot more flair than most EPL teams. It'll be interesting to see if Michael Laudrup stays around beyond this season. There's rumors he could be up for a job in Spain, where he's revered as a legend.

I highly recommend watching German soccer. It is an action league. Everybody's discovered the Dortmund boy band (aka Color Me BVB), but there's quality teams all over Germany.

I tend to be the same way, just want to see a quality game. Though I became fan of the sport back in 1987 when I was in Madrid, so I'm tethered for life to Real Madrid.

Yachtzee
01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Bradley's a heck of a player. He's got a chance to set a new bar. Certainly he's proving that there was a lot more than nepotism to his national team inclusion back when dad was coaching.

Swansea is a fun team. They play the game with a lot more flair than most EPL teams. It'll be interesting to see if Michael Laudrup stays around beyond this season. There's rumors he could be up for a job in Spain, where he's revered as a legend.

I highly recommend watching German soccer. It is an action league. Everybody's discovered the Dortmund boy band (aka Color Me BVB), but there's quality teams all over Germany.

I tend to be the same way, just want to see a quality game. Though I became fan of the sport back in 1987 when I was in Madrid, so I'm tethered for life to Real Madrid.

Watching the Bundesliga would be great, if the league actually sold the US tv rights to a network that cable operators actually carried. I find it ridiculous that the Bundesliga is only on GolTV and SerieA, La Liga, and Ligue1 have all gone to Al Jazeera's BeIn Sports. It's like they've all decided to cash in on short-term money by selling to networks nobody gets instead of seeking to get on more sets to promote their brands. Meanwhile, the Barclay's Premier League has been able parlay its exposure on Fox Soccer and ESPN into a bigger deal with NBC Sports. Soccer on TV has become increasingly popular with the 18-35 set, but it seems like the other Big 4 leagues seem content to let the EPL have the US market.

5TimeWSChamps
01-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Watching the Bundesliga would be great, if the league actually sold the US tv rights to a network that cable operators actually carried. I find it ridiculous that the Bundesliga is only on GolTV and SerieA, La Liga, and Ligue1 have all gone to Al Jazeera's BeIn Sports. It's like they've all decided to cash in on short-term money by selling to networks nobody gets instead of seeking to get on more sets to promote their brands. Meanwhile, the Barclay's Premier League has been able parlay its exposure on Fox Soccer and ESPN into a bigger deal with NBC Sports. Soccer on TV has become increasingly popular with the 18-35 set, but it seems like the other Big 4 leagues seem content to let the EPL have the US market.

It's just a matter of time until BeIN Sport replaces Fox Soccer on all the cable networks sports "tier" or whatever it's called.

Don't forget, it took awhile for Fox Soccer to be this readily available like it is now.

Yachtzee
01-25-2013, 12:31 AM
It's just a matter of time until BeIN Sport replaces Fox Soccer on all the cable networks sports "tier" or whatever it's called.

Don't forget, it took awhile for Fox Soccer to be this readily available like it is now.

Of course, News Corp. was able to get Fox Soccer on a lot of carriers because it owns Fox Sports Regional Networks, Fox News, FX, and maybe a couple of other networks it could use to bundle as a package deal to get Fox Soccer into the main tier, rather than the "pay extra for it" sports tier. I have Fox Soccer in my basic package (I can pay extra if I want their second channel, Fox Soccer Plus). I also have NBCSportsNet in my basic package, probably because NBCUniversal and Comcast have a boatload of networks they can package to entice carriers to put it in the basic tier. What does Al Jazeera offer besides BeIn and Al Jazeera America that will get cable carriers to not only pick it up, but offer it in the main tier rather than sticking it in some premium tier?

5TimeWSChamps
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Of course, News Corp. was able to get Fox Soccer on a lot of carriers because it owns Fox Sports Regional Networks, Fox News, FX, and maybe a couple of other networks it could use to bundle as a package deal to get Fox Soccer into the main tier, rather than the "pay extra for it" sports tier. I have Fox Soccer in my basic package (I can pay extra if I want their second channel, Fox Soccer Plus). I also have NBCSportsNet in my basic package, probably because NBCUniversal and Comcast have a boatload of networks they can package to entice carriers to put it in the basic tier. What does Al Jazeera offer besides BeIn and Al Jazeera America that will get cable carriers to not only pick it up, but offer it in the main tier rather than sticking it in some premium tier?

See, I didn't get Fox Soccer forever because none of the cable I could get offered it (Insight). It also took forever for them to get an HD channel as well.

Per the rumors of Fox turning FSC into an entertainment channel (I've heard they are going to split FX up into FX Comedy and FX Drama, similar to TBS/TNT), I think the price of BeIN Sport will drop so that it comes on your normal sports tier or wherever it is

reds1869
01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
I did make the determination that, since I didn't grow up a fan of any of these teams, I wasn't going to be a front-runner and latch onto the three or four usual suspects. I mean, what would we think of an expat Brit who just discovered baseball and decided he was going to be a fan of the Yankees or Red Sox? Poser, right?

Be careful, that's how I ended up a Bristol City fan while spending time in England. They're going to be a blast to follow in League 1 next year. :laugh:

M2
01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
I get GolTV and am seriously furious at my cable operator for not having BeIN. The competition has it and I'm on the verge of switching as I'm sick of watching Madrid games on spotty pirate feeds.

The exodus to BeIN was a blatant cash grab that screwed over U.S. fans of La Liga and Serie A teams (Ligue 1 too I suppose, though it was tough to find Ligue 1 broadcasts in the U.S.). It's especially tough because the world's most entertaining color man, Ray Hudson, jumped to BeIN as well. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to the LiveRayHudson Twitter feed.

Anyway, as 5TWSC said, BeIN''s going to see the wisdom of cutting its price in order to pick up more U.S. cable operators. The advertising revenue and growth potential. It clearly wants to have a separate soccer channel, perhaps gobble up the Tennis and Golf channels, and then have a worldwide sports channel covering stuff that's hard to find in the U.S. None of that happens if it fails to plant its flagpole in most U.S. markets.

reds1869
01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I think beIn faces an uphill battle due to their ownership. Time Warner has already proven there is at least one major provider who has no interest in Al-Jazeera.

Tony Cloninger
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know when BeIn will make 2 separate stations top carry La Liga and Serie A? They hit you over the head with Braca and Real...and Jeventus or AC Milan...meanwhile Napoli, Atletico Madrid ....Show that you can be the TB Rays of futbol and warrant attention. These are not boring teams, they are exciting teams led by strikers whom the EPL would love to have.

Tony Cloninger
01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
They would rather show Handball games than soccer games?? I do not get this station at all.

reds1869
01-27-2013, 07:07 AM
I really love watching Arsenal. There is never a dull moment no matter what level of competition they are facing. A guy that lives in my building is a Brigthon fan and I really feel for him after yesterday's FA Cup tie.

Yachtzee
01-27-2013, 11:53 AM
I think beIn faces an uphill battle due to their ownership. Time Warner has already proven there is at least one major provider who has no interest in Al-Jazeera.

My carrier is Time Warner and I've been told I can't get Direct TV in HD because of the trees in my yard. So I'm stuck. And even if I could get it, it sounds like everyone is adding it to their premium sports tier. There's no way I can convince my wife to add money to an already expensive bill just for one channel. So my soccer viewing is limited to EPL and MLS for the foreseeable future.

It's a shame really. The NFL has done the same with Sunday Ticket. By signing an exclusive contract with a carrier with limited availability, they've essentially cut out a sizeable portion of potential viewers. I've had Direct TV, and I loved it. But as much as I want it I can't get it now without clearcutting my backyard or putting a dish on a pole all the way out by the sidewalk in my front yard.

The powers that be in the EPL have to be loving it. The US is by most accounts becoming an increasingly lucrative market for international soccer and their primary competition has severely hampered itself by cutting the number of viewers it can reach.

reds1869
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
C'mon, Oldham!

Yachtzee
01-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Watching Oldham take it to Liverpool in the FA cup. Liverpool fans can't be happy being down 3-1 with about 20 minutes left.

Further contemplating the demise of FSC, it sounds like Fox will have a national sports network to broadcast the Champions League and other soccer competitions it holds rights to. But I have a feeling they won't have the ancillary soccer programming available on FSC, which means when soccer games aren't on, they'll probably be showing professional poker tournaments instead of soccer news and shows like Being Liverpool. Oh well, having a dedicated soccer channel was nice while it lasted. Sounds like FSC was a victim of its own success, driving up the value of rights to games until it couldnt afford them.

reds1869
01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
The FA Cup is still the most magical competition in all of sports. It is like a season long version of March Madness.

Tony Cloninger
01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
C'mon, Oldham!

You really hate Liverpool don't you? :laugh:

reds1869
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
You really hate Liverpool don't you? :laugh:

Nah, I just love seeing the underdog win. Well, OK, I might also dislike Liverpool just a bit. :D

Tony Cloninger
01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Nah, I just love seeing the underdog win. Well, OK, I might also dislike Liverpool just a bit. :D

I was excited for their fans too. I mean...i would have loved an FA Cup trophy but 4th place is what they are really trying to shoot for.
I am real disappointed in Coates, Copa America young player of 2011. He needs to find some Diego Lugano's heart and Pablo Montero's cajones.... two Uruguayan defenders....guys who would never allow someone to abuse them like that.

BuckeyeRed27
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Brek Shea is on his way to Stoke from FC Dallas. He is one of my favorite MLS players and I hope he does well. Makes it nice that he joins a fellow American at Stoke with Geoff Cameron there.

bucksfan2
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I figure this is about as good of a place to ask this question to the soccer fans.

I am watching an EPL game over this weekend and wondering to myself why England hasn't done much if anything on the national stage in years. Many consider the EPL to be the best league in the world, and granted they get a lot of stars from elsewhere, but the English National Team hasn't kept up with its neighbors.

I originally thought that it could be geography and demographics, kinda like recruiting edge the SEC has over the northern schools, but German and the Dutch have fielded competitive teams in similar climates. To compound that, who was the last great English soccer player? Beckham in his prime? It almost seems as if England is a maddeningly mediocre team, a la the US.

WMR
02-04-2013, 06:38 PM
English soccer is sort of like American style soccer on steroids. They value work rate and hard-nosed players over tactical ability and ball skills. When England runs into a Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Holland etc. etc. they more often than not end up in world's of trouble.

The individual pieces are also often greater than the whole.

OldRightHander
02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
The EPL isn't any different than the major leagues here that we would consider the top leagues in their respective sports. You could say the NHL and MLB are the top leagues in those sports but when it comes to international competition the U.S. isn't winning everything. A major part of the talent, especially these days, in any major sports league comes from several countries.

M2
02-08-2013, 01:20 AM
I figure this is about as good of a place to ask this question to the soccer fans.

I am watching an EPL game over this weekend and wondering to myself why England hasn't done much if anything on the national stage in years. Many consider the EPL to be the best league in the world, and granted they get a lot of stars from elsewhere, but the English National Team hasn't kept up with its neighbors.

I originally thought that it could be geography and demographics, kinda like recruiting edge the SEC has over the northern schools, but German and the Dutch have fielded competitive teams in similar climates. To compound that, who was the last great English soccer player? Beckham in his prime? It almost seems as if England is a maddeningly mediocre team, a la the US.

Last great English player? I'll go with Gary Lineker. Gazza might have been great, but injuries and booze undid him. Beckham has a dangerous right foot and he's a marketing machine. However, he never deserved to be ranked among top tier players.

As for the English national team, very few of the best players in the EPL are English. And almost no English players go to other leagues and make any sort impact. Steve McManaman was probably the last guy to do that. Beckham largely was a disaster at Real Madrid.

England gets beaten in the midfield. It just doesn't move the ball as well as the international elite. On the bright side, the team looked pretty good against Brazil the other day. Whether that's a sign that England is playing a better possession game or Brazil is in serious trouble, I don't know.

improbus
02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
English soccer is sort of like American style soccer on steroids. They value work rate and hard-nosed players over tactical ability and ball skills. When England runs into a Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Holland etc. etc. they more often than not end up in world's of trouble.

The individual pieces are also often greater than the whole.

They have never played in a European Championships final, and they won their one World Cup in England (and by my unofficial tally, the host team has won the cup 5 out of 11 times when the host team was a world footballing power, which is a very high percentage). They haven't made another final game since.

Why is this the case? I would never venture a guess, but I do know that there is entire genre of sports writing devoted to why England hasn't/can't win a major tournament. It is a fascinating, depressing, and narcissistic all at the same time.

M2
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
They have never played in a European Championships final, and they won their one World Cup in England (and by my unofficial tally, the host team has won the cup 5 out of 11 times when the host team was a world footballing power, which is a very high percentage). They haven't made another final game since.

Why is this the case? I would never venture a guess, but I do know that there is entire genre of sports writing devoted to why England hasn't/can't win a major tournament. It is a fascinating, depressing, and narcissistic all at the same time.

The simplest answer is they're not that good. When Uruguay and then Italy ushered in more technical football in the 1920s and 1930s it left the Brits in the dust and they've never caught up. Doesn't help that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all play as separate nations. It's cost the English a lot of great players over the years.

improbus
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
The simplest answer is they're not that good. When Uruguay and then Italy ushered in more technical football in the 1920s and 1930s it left the Brits in the dust and they've never caught up. Doesn't help that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all play as separate nations. It's cost the English a lot of great players over the years.

Imagine Spain without the Catalan gang. If Catalulia was its own country, Spain could lose Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Puyol, Piqué, and Busquets. So goodbye to those three consecutive titles.

Give England Giggs, George Best, or even Gareth Bale and they would really improve.

M2
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Imagine Spain without the Catalan gang. If Catalulia was its own country, Spain could lose Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Puyol, Piqué, and Busquets. So goodbye to those three consecutive titles.

Give England Giggs, George Best, or even Gareth Bale and they would really improve.

Exactly. Add in Dennis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush and Stevie Nicol too.

5TimeWSChamps
02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
http://m.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2013/02/09/report-us-mexico-qualifier-will-be-played-columbus

HELL. YES.

paintmered
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Throw in Xabi Alonso from Basque Country. Catalonia isn't the only separatist region in Spain.

Tony Cloninger
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Throw in Xabi Alonso from Basque Country. Catalonia isn't the only separatist region in Spain.

To discuss that further....what about the countries that now rely on dual citizenship or the citizenship of those countries that used to be colonies....for players. France and Holland are two that come to mind.

M2
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
To discuss that further....what about the countries that now rely on dual citizenship or the citizenship of those countries that used to be colonies....for players. France and Holland are two that come to mind.

The team Surinam could have put together would have been impressive - Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Aron Winter, Frank Rijkaard, Patrick Kluivert, Ruud Gullit, Winston Bogarde, Michael Reiziger, Brian Roy.

5TimeWSChamps
03-17-2013, 01:17 PM
And another Sp*rs chokejob is hopefully underway :)

M2
04-22-2013, 01:13 AM
ManU can wrap up the league with a win today. Meanwhile Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham remain in a three-way fight for the final two Champions League spots. That's likely coming down to the last day of the season.

BuckeyeRed27
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
ManU can wrap up the league with a win today. Meanwhile Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham remain in a three-way fight for the final two Champions League spots. That's likely coming down to the last day of the season.

Not exactly the drama of last season. None of the major European leagues have any sort of real race this season.

I think Arsenal has the easiest schedule remaining between Chelsea and Spurs, but I still think that Chelsea will get 3rd, Arsenal 4th, Spurs Europa.

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Luis Suarez thinks it'll be a biting good time.

5TimeWSChamps
04-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Macca ‏@The_Paris_Angel 23h
Arsenal - just make sure Gunnersaurus takes part in the Guard of Honour. Gesture and moment devalued instantly. You're welcome.

Sage advice

Tony Cloninger
04-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Luis Suarez thinks it'll be a biting good time.

What an embarrassing situation to put yourself in after all the good work you have done this year.....And had been trying to clean up your act. I am ashamed to even say I was born in the same country. The guy has done nothing but self sabotage himself,club and in the last year his NT ...the way he collects yellows or just does stupid things.

5TimeWSChamps
04-27-2013, 06:53 PM
LOL @ Sp*rs

BuckeyeRed27
04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
LOL @ Sp*rs

They really should have lost. Arsenal better show up tomorrow.

OldRightHander
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
What an embarrassing situation to put yourself in after all the good work you have done this year.....And had been trying to clean up your act. I am ashamed to even say I was born in the same country. The guy has done nothing but self sabotage himself,club and in the last year his NT ...the way he collects yellows or just does stupid things.

He's really an enigma. He's played brilliantly most of the season and then he has these lapses where he makes a boneheaded play, like the handball earlier in the game that gave Chelsea a penalty. I'll have to say that play was one of my low points as a Liverpool fan. Nobody likes to see a player on your team pull something like that.

BuckeyeRed27
04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I hate Van Persie sooooo much. Just looking at him makes me angry. Freaking Sagna, just terrible giving him that chance.

Tony Cloninger
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
He's really an enigma. He's played brilliantly most of the season and then he has these lapses where he makes a boneheaded play, like the handball earlier in the game that gave Chelsea a penalty. I'll have to say that play was one of my low points as a Liverpool fan. Nobody likes to see a player on your team pull something like that.

I know crazy soccer players are an oxymoron.....even Messi has been caught spitting at an opposing player but it happened a few years back, i think.....and he has managed not to do much to bring attention to himself in the negative way.

I do not expect him to have Forlan or Enzo Francescoli's temperament...which would go against how he is as a player. Are they supposed to lobotomize him? Basically tune him down and then half his ability as a player suffer...or is he doomed to end up playing in Greece or Turkey because no one else will take him?

reds1869
04-29-2013, 11:11 PM
I hate Van Persie sooooo much. Just looking at him makes me angry. Freaking Sagna, just terrible giving him that chance.

Right there with you. His farewell message still irritates me.

BuckeyeRed27
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Alex Ferguson stepping down at the end of the season. Pretty surprising, but he is 71 and has certainly earned the right to leave when and how he wants.

Caveat Emperor
05-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Who is the closest American comp to Sir Alex?

Best I could come up with is Phil Jackson, or maybe Nick Saban if he stays at Bama for another 10 years and wins a few more titles.

BuckeyeRed27
05-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Best I could come up with is Phil Jackson, or maybe Nick Saban if he stays at Bama for another 10 years and wins a few more titles.

Phil Jackson is probably the best. Maybe John Wooden.
Harry Parker at Harvard Crew is probably the best...but no one cares about collegiate rowing.

Yachtzee
05-08-2013, 11:32 PM

I would say one possible comp would be Tony LaRussa. Beloved and viewed as a genius by the home fans, viewed as a whiney gasbag by fans of other teams. It would probably be a closer comp if LaRussa had been manager of the Yankees for most of his career.

reds1869
05-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Not a Prem game, but the FA Cup Final was beautiful to everyone except City fans. Glad to see Wigan take home some silverware despite what has been an otherwise nightmarish campaign.

Australian Red
05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Championship football, my boys Leicester in the play offs missed a late penalty then Watford go down the other end and score.....to say i'm gutted is an understatement.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/286365/report

BuckeyeRed27
05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Big win for Arsenal today. Feel bad for Wigan having to play for the FA Cup on Saturday and turn around and fight for their life 3 days later on the road against Arsenal.

Only thing that is left to decide is how places 3-5 will look.

Australian Red
05-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Mancini been give the boot.....good news for Man City i feel. All top 3 clubs will go in to the new season with new managers.

5TimeWSChamps
05-14-2013, 10:17 PM
So if Arsenal beats Newcastle 2-1, and Chelsea draws 0-0 with Everton, then Arsenal and Chelsea will have a neutral-site playoff for 3rd place, as they would be even in points, Goal Differential, and Number of Goals scored

Australian Red
05-14-2013, 11:57 PM
So if Arsenal beats Newcastle 2-1, and Chelsea draws 0-0 with Everton, then Arsenal and Chelsea will have a neutral-site playoff for 3rd place, as they would be even in points, Goal Differential, and Number of Goals scored

In the unlikely event that those are the results, Chelsea would finish 3rd as they won both times the 2 sides meet.

5TimeWSChamps
05-15-2013, 12:01 AM
In the unlikely event that those are the results, Chelsea would finish 3rd as they won both times the 2 sides meet.

Nope.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-chelsea-play-off-decide-third-1889904

The Premier League confirmed on Tuesday night that Chelsea's home-and-away wins over their London rivals would not be used as a tie-breaker.

Australian Red
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Strange move by the FA, obviously a bit of a money grabbing excersise as in every other league it is done by the results of when the 2 sides meet, even happend in League 1 a few years back for a playoff spot.

5TimeWSChamps
05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Will be so glad whem this season ends.

Arsenal truly deserve the Europa League, they have no one to blame but themselves for being in this situation

reds1869
05-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Arsenal truly deserve the Europa League, they have no one to blame but themselves for being in this situation

I disagree. Arsenal did what they had to with a remarkable season-ending run. I think the board will open the checkbook this summer and 2013/2014 will be one for gooners to remember.

Australian Red
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
I disagree. Arsenal did what they had to with a remarkable season-ending run. I think the board will open the checkbook this summer and 2013/2014 will be one for gooners to remember.

Gunners fans have been waiting for them to open the cheque book for the last 10 years!

Financial they can't compete with Man U, Man City and Chelsea. Liverpool is probably ahead of them as well. Until they pay off the the emirates they aren't going to be making 50 milion pound bids like Man city are reportably doing for Falaco.

reds1869
05-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Gunners fans have been waiting for them to open the cheque book for the last 10 years!

Financial they can't compete with Man U, Man City and Chelsea. Liverpool is probably ahead of them as well. Until they pay off the the emirates they aren't going to be making 50 milion pound bids like Man city are reportably doing for Falaco.

I think the new kit deal with Puma will help quite a bit. They are paying a 13 Million Pound advance this summer which will certainly help, as will the renewal of the Emirates sponsorship. Arsenal is in better financial shape than most realize, they've just made a philosophical choice not to spend like drunken sailors. You are right that they will never make a bid like the ones Man City makes, but to balance that no club develops youth players like Arsenal. What Wenger did with this squad is pretty impressive.