PDA

View Full Version : Votto taking ground balls...but...

brm7675
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
According to Dusty today Votto will not be activated for this weekends series vs. the Pirates. Also still no word on status of Valdez, but due to lack of available talent they are having to start Rolen today at 3rd on day games where he ususally gets a day off.

So...looks like another example of mismag't of the roster, and with a huge series coming up exactly how many players will we have available?

BungleBengals
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah it does scare me that Valdez may be out now too. He could play most infield positions. Seems like it would have been smart to bring up HRod or Didi for a few games as a precaution.

We have done it with Redmond a few times in pitching.

But what do you do when one of our IF today get hurt? Plug in a hurt Valdez or Phillips? Plug in one of our extra OF? Which today are Ludwick and Heisey?

My only other guess would be to put Leake somewhere, but he should probably be saved since he is pitching against Pirates this weekend.

mrherd05
08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
According to Dusty today Votto will not be activated for this weekends series vs. the Pirates. Also still no word on status of Valdez, but due to lack of available talent they are having to start Rolen today at 3rd on day games where he ususally gets a day off.

So...looks like another example of mismag't of the roster, and with a huge series coming up exactly how many players will we have available?

Honest question. Do you do this on purpose? Seriously?

FloridaBuckeye
08-02-2012, 11:50 AM

How is this mismanagement? Injuries occur... you have to deal with them as they come, which is what Dusty has done

Maker_84
08-02-2012, 12:04 PM
not surprised about Votto, dont expect him back for another week. Remember this was a 3-week injury and its only been 2 and a half weeks

5TimeWSChamps
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
This guy should have been banned a year and a half ago

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

brm7675
08-02-2012, 12:33 PM
How is this mismanagement? Injuries occur... you have to deal with them as they come, which is what Dusty has done

They have a DL for a reason. We are in a position right now where Dusty is having to play people when he doesn't want to and in some cases out of their natural position. What happens today if say Cairo goes down, who plays 2nd? You have X number of players on a roster, and to not carry that maximum number in my opinion is roster mismagement, especially when you are in a heated playoff race.

brm7675
08-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Why because I refuse to be a blind cheerleader?

mrherd05
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
a blind cheerleader?

You are blind man.

Mismanagement?

This management has been able to build a team that has the BEST record in baseball TODAY, and also is built to win for the next five years.

Who else is doing that right now.

You are right, you arent a blind cheerleader, you are just not smart. I am assuming you have ignored me since you never reply to me, but thats fine.

The_Mudshark
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM

He starts 4 threads a day and none of them are positive. What a contributor! :thumbdown:

MBZags
08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Mismanagement of the roster would be putting a player on the 15-day DL when he only needs a day or two. It sounds like both Phillips and Valdez are still being evaluated, so I'm not sure why you have such a big problem with this. MLB teams play with a player or two unavailable all the time. Also, I highly doubt playing Rolen one day more than ordinary will severely harm his performance in the Pirates series.

Girevik
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
They have a DL for a reason. We are in a position right now where Dusty is having to play people when he doesn't want to and in some cases out of their natural position. What happens today if say Cairo goes down, who plays 2nd? You have X number of players on a roster, and to not carry that maximum number in my opinion is roster mismagement, especially when you are in a heated playoff race.

Who should be on the DL that isn't? It sounds like Phillips and Valedez are both day-to-day injuries. You REALLY want to lose them for 2 weeks when they may only need 2 or 3 days?

R_Webb18
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
id rather play short than bring up willie harris

brm7675
08-02-2012, 01:01 PM
a blind cheerleader?

You are blind man.

Mismanagement?

This management has been able to build a team that has the BEST record in baseball TODAY, and also is built to win for the next five years.

You are right, you arent a blind cheerleader, you are just not smart. I am assuming you have ignored me since you never reply to me, but thats fine.

Yes mismanagment. Yes we have a very good record, but we are but just 3 games ahead in our division. With better moves that could easily have been double digit.

The_Mudshark
08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes mismanagment. Yes we have a very good record, but we are but just 3 games ahead in our division. With better moves that could easily have been double digit.

:lol:

brm7675
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Mismanagement of the roster would be putting a player on the 15-day DL when he only needs a day or two. It sounds like both Phillips and Valdez are still being evaluated, so I'm not sure why you have such a big problem with this. MLB teams play with a player or two unavailable all the time. Also, I highly doubt playing Rolen one day more than ordinary will severely harm his performance in the Pirates series.

Given the severity of Phillips injury, do you really think he will be 100% on Friday or this weekend? We have seen what happens performance wise from Brandon when he is not 100%, so why risk it, let him heal and be back to 100% for the stretch run.

brm7675
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Who should be on the DL that isn't? It sounds like Phillips and Valedez are both day-to-day injuries. You REALLY want to lose them for 2 weeks when they may only need 2 or 3 days?

I put Phillips on now, tell he to rest the leg and get back. If Valedez is unable to go tomorrow, then DL him. You have options in AAA, bring them up and move on.

brm7675
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
id rather play short than bring up willie harris

Other choices available in AAA...

smixsell
08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
a blind cheerleader?

You are blind man.

Mismanagement?

Your argument is illogical/spurious/fallacious. BRM has a point, we have been left very thin in the minors and at the ML level in several areas. The fact that we are good enough to win now without some key players, and are winning, doesn't mean that mistakes have not been made regarding bench strength and bench usage. The fact that we are winning now, and in good shape for the future does not mean that the moves we have made, or failed to make, concerning our bench aren't mistakes. So how bout you cut the man some slack. :thumbup:

Geez, the old "we're doing great so "(fill in the blank)" must not be wrong" is a fallacious argument which never grows old here.:thumbdown:

PS I don't often bother to respond to self refuting arguments like the one you have made in this particular post, so it shouldn't suprise you all the BRM doesn't respond to all of yours.

PPS Helmet on here for all of the vitriol my post will undoubtably recieve from those of you who don't like those who refuse to "cheer-lead." :)

R_Webb18
08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Other choices available in AAA...

bp 12 days > any1 else down there 15

OldCat
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM

The nerve of Walt and Dusty to not arrange for the Pirates to lose more games.

OldCat
08-02-2012, 01:52 PM
PPS Helmet on here for all of the vitriol my post will undoubtably recieve from those of you who don't like those who refuse to "cheer-lead." :)

Saying that there might have been a mistake made is not proof that a mistake was made. Or even suggestive that a mistake was made.

Larkin88
08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Your argument is illogical/spurious/fallacious. BRM has a point, we have been left very thin in the minors and at the ML level in several areas.

Look, I don't mean to pile on, but no. Given the precedent brm7675 has set on this topic, he really doesn't have a great point. And even if he did, he has posted these gripes trying to make it in this thread, other threads he's created, and others' threads he's derailed into this coversation just about every week since Votto went down.

I get wanting to be the white knight standing up for someone getting picked on, but mrherd05 is not the only person getting frustrated with this discussion, from this poster.

To your point, the "thinness" for infielders in the minors (which I would contend doesn't exist) would not exactly support the idea that there are glaringly obvious roster moves to be made, anyway. That's circular logic if you're trying to connect that to what brm7675 has been trying to drive home this week.

The fact that the Reds have appealed Mes' suspension was a roster management move as we learn more about Phillips' injury. 80% of Brandon Phillips is probably still better than Didi/HRod (some of the depth we have in the minors) at 100%. If Phillips is only going to be out for three or four games, why would you sacrifice his ability to play in the twelve that follow? The net fifteen games is more important than three or four therein. (assuming a 15 day DL stint, which is what brm is advocating)

The same does not apply to Valdez. If he is actually going to miss even a few days, a move would be made. The same 80% of him being greater than 100% of someone else in the minors doesn't necessarily translate the same way with Valdez. He is not an elite player the BP's levels, to state the (I would think) glaringly obvious.

brm7675 is contending that Phillips' had a catastrophic injury. All of his theories assume the absolute worst case scenario. Did you hear Votto is out for the whole season once he got his MRI results? He did. Did you hear that Brandon Phillips actually had an MRI and needs to get surgery to get his knee (yes knee, not calf) repaired today? He did. It is from this baseline assumption of the worst case scenario and any little unsubstantiated, subjective dribble he reads in the comment section of a blog that he creates arguments from.

To your little PS and PPS comments... I don't often bother to respond to comments like the ones you have made in this particular post where you are trying to encourage civility on the Sun Deck. But I've been here long enough to know brm7675's games, so it shouldn't suprise you and sure doesn't surprise me that there are people getting annoyed by it.

Yes this organization has made management errs in the course of recent history - roster, lineup, injuries, you name it. Yes, the same applies for all organizations. Yes, the Reds have made far fewer of those missteps. Yes, that relates to the success they've had this season.

"Cheerlead" (http://www.yourdictionary.com/cheerlead)is one word, by the way.

Larkin88
08-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Saying that there might have been a mistake made is not proof that a mistake was made. Or even suggestive that a mistake was made.

The nerve of Walt and Dusty to not arrange for the Pirates to lose more games.

Thank you, and thank you.

MrRedLegger
08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I didnt know our record was supposed to be 70-34 at this point.

MBZags
08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
This thread has run its course.