PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys please stop winning please?

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 12:55 PM
The Cardinals have won 9 out of the last 12 games yet lose two games in the standings. Come on Reds, help me out here. Stop winning!!! :)

smith288
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd ask the same of you. :)

Where's our 10 game lead?!?

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd ask the same of you. :)

Where's our 10 game lead?!?

The Cards have arguably the best offense in baseball with a run differential of 102. They have the 4th best starters ERA. Heck, even their 8th/9th innings haven't been bad. It looks like they filled that black hole that was the 6th and 7th inning. It wouldn't surprise me if their final record reflects their run differential. I still don't think we can take the division because the Reds have too much of a lead right now.

That said, wouldn't it be cool if the WC game consisted of two NL Central teams? It would be nice to see the Pirates and Cardinals duel it out in one game.

redsfan30
08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
The past two to three weeks have been extremely fun and frustrating at the same time for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and St. Louis alike.

All three teams are playing very, very good baseball but can't get any help in the form of other teams losing.

smith288
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Im not gonna argue stats. I want my 10 game lead that a team that goes 19 of their last 22 usually gets! haha

Tom Servo
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
We will take your request under consideration.

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Im not gonna argue stats. I want my 10 game lead that a team that goes 19 of their last 22 usually gets! haha

mehh... I still think you guys have the division. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're starting rotation has some injuries.

LoganBuck
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Reds 17 games left versus Cubs and Astros, the Pirates and Cardinals 12

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
I've posted this another post somewhere but I really think the biggest challenge you will have will be the 7 games you have to play against Phillie. They have a losing record but I don't think that is the kind of team you can fall asleep on and they have the talent to go on a run.

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
The Cardinals have won 9 out of the last 12 games yet lose two games in the standings. Come on Reds, help me out here. Stop winning!!! :)

No. Now stop asking silly questions.

LoganBuck
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I've posted this another post somewhere but I really think the biggest challenge you will have will be the 7 games you have to play against Phillie. They have a losing record but I don't think that is the kind of team you can fall asleep on and they have the talent to go on a run.

Correct, could be 6 games of Hamels, Lee, and Halladay.

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
No. Now stop asking silly questions.

I'm not really asking... I'm on my knees begging. :lol:

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not really asking... I'm on my knees begging. :lol:

No! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

smith288
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
5-0 Reds over Padres....

Reds arent taking requests from Cards fans... heh.

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
5-0 Reds over Padres....

Reds arent taking requests from Cards fans... heh.

Gahh... I guess we'll have to beat the Rockies into submission again tonight. I'm predicting Holliday, whos beasting right now, will hit 3 HR's against his former team.

11larkin11
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
mehh... I still think you guys have the division. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're starting rotation has some injuries.

What're you talking about, we've to Todd Redmond as backup! :beerme:

We've actually beat Doc Halladay a few times in the regular season, but Hamels always dominates us.

Puffy
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
You said "please" twice. I equate this to double negatives and thus feel you are being rude as the pleases cancel themselves out and meaning you have never actually said please. Thus, because of this rudeness I am going to respond with a "since you did not ask politely the answer is no!"

smith288
08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Gahh... I guess we'll have to beat the Rockies into submission again tonight. I'm predicting Holliday, whos beasting right now, will hit 3 HR's against his former team.
Holliday goes 0-4 and twists an ankle in his way into the dugout after his last ab.

Tom Servo
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Of course, Holliday hit his big HR yesterday to lead the Cards to victory off of the always dependable Matt Belisle.

medford
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Reds 17 games left versus Cubs and Astros, the Pirates and Cardinals 12

How 'bout the BrewCrew?

B/w the bullpen issues, the trade of Grienke and the generally terrible season of Rickie Weeks they seems to be in one big tail spin. They've still got a ton more going for them than the Cubs and they're light years ahead of the Astros.

those 3 teams combined might just send the Reds, Pirates & Cardinals into the playoffs despite the best efforts of Washington, Atlanta, San Fran, Arizona or LA.

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
You said "please" twice. I equate this to double negatives and thus feel you are being rude as the pleases cancel themselves out and meaning you have never actually said please. Thus, because of this rudeness I am going to respond with a "since you did not ask politely the answer is no!"

This goes without saying, but you're the man! :beerme:

bucksfan2

The Phillies have thrown in the towel. Its much more difficult playing a motivated team than one that has mailed it in.

That said Halladay, Lee, and Hamels could be difficult.

MikeThierry
How 'bout the BrewCrew?

B/w the bullpen issues, the trade of Grienke and the generally terrible season of Rickie Weeks they seems to be in one big tail spin. They've still got a ton more going for them than the Cubs and they're light years ahead of the Astros.

those 3 teams combined might just send the Reds, Pirates & Cardinals into the playoffs despite the best efforts of Washington, Atlanta, San Fran, Arizona or LA.

Does anyone feel Atlanta is a flawed team? I'm looking at their starting pitching and it's shocking how bad it is compared to where we are normally used to seeing them. They have a lock down bullpen but there seems to be holes in that lineup and you can destroy that pitching. I don't think they have the staying power. I'm the most worried about LA and the Giants.

Tom Servo
08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Does anyone feel Atlanta is a flawed team? I'm looking at their starting pitching and it's shocking how bad it is compared to where we are normally used to seeing them. They have a lock down bullpen but there seems to be holes in that lineup and you can destroy that pitching. I don't think they have the staying power. I'm the most worried about LA and the Giants.I was surprised to see their record yesterday, I thought they were playing worse than the record indicated.

Brutus
08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Does anyone feel Atlanta is a flawed team? I'm looking at their starting pitching and it's shocking how bad it is compared to where we are normally used to seeing them. They have a lock down bullpen but there seems to be holes in that lineup and you can destroy that pitching. I don't think they have the staying power. I'm the most worried about LA and the Giants.

Tommy Hanson hasn't been pitching as well as he can. But in fairness, they'd be much better if Brandon Beachy hadn't got hurt. He was pitching lights out before his injury. I still wouldn't want to face their staff in a 3-game series that mattered.

The lineup has holes, but it's been a lot better lately. Jason Heyward has been playing well and Freddie Freeman has arrived. You could argue the lineup as a whole has been underachieving a bit, as Brian McCann hasn't been his usual self.

Tom Servo
08-02-2012, 03:38 PM
We will take your request under consideration.
We have decided "No".

PuffyPig
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM

You play them also.....

HeatherC1212
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Why on earth would we do that??! ;) And besides, our wins are much more impressive since they're coming without our best player in the lineup. So there. :p :laugh:

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I wish Mike had made this a poll...

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 04:51 PM
You play them also.....

I realize that. My point was that I keep hearing people saying that the Reds have the "easiest" schedule in the 2nd half. I think it's a bit deceptive.

cincrazy
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I realize that. My point was that I keep hearing people saying that the Reds have the "easiest" schedule in the 2nd half. I think it's a bit deceptive.

I'm not sure. I think Philly's a pretty bad baseball team this year. Yeah, they have some good starters. But Lee and Halladay haven't been themselves this year, and that offense is flat bad. They aren't "easy" games per se, but they're series that we should win.

PuffyPig
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM

They have the easiest schedule because they have the easiest schedule. That's a fact. The Cards had the easiest schedule in the first half.

A few games agaisnt the Phillies doesn't change that dramaically. We've finished playing the Nationals, the Dodgers and the Giants. You've got 15 games left to play against them. I don't think our 4 extra (home) games vs. the Phillies trumps that.

MikeThierry
08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
They have the easiest schedule because they have the easiest schedule. That's a fact. The Cards had the easiest schedule in the first half.

A few games agaisnt the Phillies doesn't change that dramaically. We've finished playing the Nationals, the Dodgers and the Giants. You've got 15 games left to play against them. I don't think our 4 extra (home) games vs. the Phillies trumps that.

So do you think the Phillies are just going to lay down? Do you think the Diamondbacks are?

Secondly... you still do play the Dodgers and you play 4 games against the Phillies in Philadelphia. What schedule are you looking at?

_Sir_Charles_
08-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Cards fans. Bunch of whinners. :p J/k Mike, j/k

Homer Bailey
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
So do you think the Phillies are just going to lay down? Do you think the Diamondbacks are?

Secondly... you still do play the Dodgers and you play 4 games against the Phillies in Philadelphia. What schedule are you looking at?

No one ever ever ever said the word lay down. So don't put words in people's mouths.

And the Phillies team that we're going to face, just got worse at the deadline. And not to mention that they aren't a good team to begin with.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM
No, we cannot stop winning.

cincrazy
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM

The Dodgers are at home, and I think you're grossly overestimating the Phillies. They're in last place for a reason. They're a terrible baseball team this year.

Brutus
08-02-2012, 05:13 PM

I realize you weren't asking me, but while I don't think they're going to just "lay down," but have you seen their offense recently?

Chase Utley is the only guy in their lineup over an .800 OPS (.805). Howard (.753) and Rollins (.728) have been shells of their former selves. Yesterday's lineup also included Schierholtz (.756), Mayberry (.664), Domonic Brown, Kevin Frandsen and Eric Kratz.

Anytime you go up, potentially, against Halladay, Lee and Hamels, you're going to be in for a tough series. But that offense right now is not very strong. They may not lay down, but their best effort might also not be terribly imposing.

medford
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't know who has the easiest record, but generally this far into the season it means going by the combined records of the oppossing teams and forgetting all preconceived notions about how a good a team was "suppose" to be.

If that's the Reds compared to the Cards, or Pirates, than them be the facts. Doesn't mean anyone is going to lay down for the Reds. Doesn't mean they're going to breeze thru to the division, doesn't garuntee squat other than the teams the Reds have remaining haven't performed as well this season as the teams the Cardinals and Pirates have remaining.

RedlegJake
08-02-2012, 05:32 PM
I think anyone the Reds, or for that matter the Pirates play the rest of the season is going to be "up" for them. Trying to at least play the spoiler role. I don't expect a cakewalk and I don't think Dusty will let the players expect one either. The fans will be more likely to expect it than the team.

RedsfaninMT
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Seems to me the Reds have 57 games left, against a pretty soft schedule. But assume the Reds struggle a bit and finish those games at one game over .500, so they go 29-28. That would put the Reds at 92 wins.

Cards have 58 games left. They need to go 36 - 22 to catch the Reds.

That is no small task. Certainly possible, but not easy either. Cards will HAVE to win 2 of 3 in Cincy, then sweep the Reds in that final series in St. Louis. And I don't see the Reds going 29-28 over their final 57 games. Just 31-26 (certainly very doable) puts the Reds at 95 wins. Then the Cards need to finish 39-19 to catch 'em.

It ain't over till it's over, but I'd much rather be the Reds than the Cards right now.

vaticanplum
08-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Seems to me the Reds have 57 games left, against a pretty soft schedule. But assume the Reds struggle a bit and finish those games at one game over .500, so they go 29-28. That would put the Reds at 92 wins.

Cards have 58 games left. They need to go 36 - 22 to catch the Reds.

That is no small task. Certainly possible, but not easy either. Cards will HAVE to win 2 of 3 in Cincy, then sweep the Reds in that final series in St. Louis. And I don't see the Reds going 29-28 over their final 57 games. Just 31-26 (certainly very doable) puts the Reds at 95 wins. Then the Cards need to finish 39-19 to catch 'em.

It ain't over till it's over, but I'd much rather be the Reds than the Cards right now.

I don't think the Cardinals will catch the Reds, but I think they will be a factor in the postseason. They have been pretty hot and are hitting their stride at a good time. Holliday's getting going in a way that may not let up the rest of the season.

My money is still on them to finish second in the division. They have six games left against the Pirates, the first three of which are in St. Louis, and could really gain some ground on them especially since the Buccos are still stumbling away from home. They also have nine games left against the Astros. To me all bets are off if St. Louis ends up in the postseason. With the exception of 2010, they seem to have a knack for getting going at the right time. The only thing is that they don't have a lot of depth, I don't think. They could be hit hard if anybody else gets hurt.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
If we have an easier schedule in the second half, that would mean we played most of the hard teams and a hard schedule in the first half, and still came out in first place.

RedsfaninMT
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't think the Cardinals will catch the Reds, but I think they will be a factor in the postseason. They have been pretty hot and are hitting their stride at a good time. Holliday's getting going in a way that may not let up the rest of the season.

My money is still on them to finish second in the division. They have six games left against the Pirates, the first three of which are in St. Louis, and could really gain some ground on them especially since the Buccos are still stumbling away from home. They also have nine games left against the Astros. To me all bets are off if St. Louis ends up in the postseason. With the exception of 2010, they seem to have a knack for getting going at the right time. The only thing is that they don't have a lot of depth, I don't think. They could be hit hard if anybody else gets hurt.

I keep hearing about how dreadful the Pirates are on the road; they mention it often on mlbradio. But the Pirates are 27-28 and the Cards are 27-27. Not a whole lot of difference there.

PuffyPig
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Where did I say that? You're just making things up now.

vaticanplum
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I keep hearing about how dreadful the Pirates are on the road; they mention it often on mlbradio. But the Pirates are 27-28 and the Cards are 27-27. Not a whole lot of difference there.

But the Pirates are four games up on the Cardinals overall. That's a significant disparity, to be leading by that much and still have a losing record away from home. No other team in baseball has as good a record as the Pirates while still maintaining a losing record either home or away. There are only two other teams that have winning records overall but losing ones away, and that's Detroit and Arizona, who have five and six fewer wins total than Pittsburgh.

Normally I think home/away splits are overvalued, but this has been consistently the case with the Pirates since they've been at PNC, and is notable this year because they spend much of September on the road.

Patrick Bateman
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM

So where are all these teams that play nobody but the Cubs and Padres?

If you're point is that the Reds are going to play some teams whom have some chance of beating the Reds, then you are right.

However, I wasn't under the impression that Reds fans were not under some sort of spell where they thought otherwise.

The Reds have the easiest schedule because the collective record of the teams that they will face have the worst losing percentage. That percentage is made up out of numerous teams, some better than others. In the end, the Reds face more bad teams than good teams, and as a result, they are likely to get a few more easy games than the average team from here on in.

fearofpopvol1
08-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Even though a lot of RZ is disagreeing with you, I happen to agree here. The Phillies are not as strong this year as other years, but that ballpark is a tough place to play 4 games. But then again, the Reds are playing at a level right now that I haven't seen in at least 12 years. I mean, even though it was the Padres and Ohlendorf pitching, the Reds scored 9 runs today without Votto, Phillips and Ludwick for crying outloud. Not to mention, Scott Rolen in the cleanup spot. And the starting pitching is firing on all cylinders. The Reds still have the same 5 starters as opening day without any real injuries this year. An amazing feat and I believe they are the only team in baseball that can say that this year?

I don't think the Reds have the division locked up by any means. A sweep by the Cards or the Pirates of the Reds and all of a sudden things are very close. This weekend will be a very good test for the Reds. They won't have Votto and Phillips is still a question mark. Plus, the Pirates have had their way with the Reds this year. It should be interesting.

Homer Bailey
08-02-2012, 10:34 PM
So where are all these teams that play nobody but the Cubs and Padres?

If you're point is that the Reds are going to play some teams whom have some chance of beating the Reds, then you are right.

However, I wasn't under the impression that Reds fans were not under some sort of spell where they thought otherwise.

The Reds have the easiest schedule because the collective record of the teams that they will face have the worst losing percentage. That percentage is made up out of numerous teams, some better than others. In the end, the Reds face more bad teams than good teams, and as a result, they are likely to get a few more easy games than the average team from here on in.

Yeah, but the Reds still have 7 games left against the last place Phillies, Patrick.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
No, we cannot stop winning.

See what I mean. We simply cannot stop winning.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2012, 06:28 AM

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i46/5/1/11/fbz_43f35a01b9f20604ab7ead6c3d4b77e0.jpg

Captain Hook
08-04-2012, 11:32 AM
It might be time for all the other teams still hoping to make the playoffs to root for the Reds when they play the other contending teams. The Cards actually picked up a game in the WC last night for the first time in a while. You're welcome.

cincrazy
08-04-2012, 01:17 PM
The Phillies have lost Carlos Ruiz for 4-6 weeks. Seeing as how we play them twice in the next 4-5 weeks, that's a pretty fortunate turn of events for us. Not that I by any means wish injury on him or anyone else. Here's to a speedy recovery for Carlos.

Brutus
08-04-2012, 01:51 PM
http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i46/5/1/11/fbz_43f35a01b9f20604ab7ead6c3d4b77e0.jpg

</thread winner>

LoganBuck
08-04-2012, 03:57 PM
The Phillies have lost Carlos Ruiz for 4-6 weeks. Seeing as how we play them twice in the next 4-5 weeks, that's a pretty fortunate turn of events for us. Not that I by any means wish injury on him or anyone else. Here's to a speedy recovery for Carlos.

But take your time, you wouldn't want to aggravate that injury. Unless of course, playing at 85% means you become the baseball equivalent of Coy and Vance Duke then by all means hurry back.

wolfboy
08-04-2012, 10:13 PM
No.

Brutus
08-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

...or not.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2012, 10:35 PM
See what I mean. We simply cannot stop winning.

I'm sorry. Winning cannot be stopped right now.

Raisor
08-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Between winning and not-winning, Raisor is happy the Reds have chosen "winning"

OldRightHander
08-04-2012, 10:49 PM
The winning will not stop. It will simply be temporarily interrupted by that annoying period of time we call the off season.