PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Announcing Legends

redssince75
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I just realized when listening to Dick Enberg this week that the NL West has three absolute legends doing games on the West Coast. Enberg, Vin Scully with the Dodgers, and Jon Miller with the Giants. To me what sets these three apart is that they are nationally known for national broadcasts, in addition to being affiliated with their particular teams. I used to listen to Vin Scully on NBC Game of the Week all the time. Jon Miller, ESPN marquee games for many many years. And of course Enberg is simply a broadcasting legend, kind of a Brokaw of sports.

In contrast, while Marty might be a Cincinnati legend, even being a Reds fan all my life I really didn't know who he was until getting Sirius radio a few years ago. Not a national name. The only Reds broadcaster I'd heard of was Joe Nuxhall, and that was more for being the youngest player in MLB than for his broadcasting.

Wonder what explains the concentration on the West Coast...could be the good weather and California living, I guess. (We used to have the same kind of thing in St. Louis, but Jack Buck passed away awhile back and Bob Costas isn't as much associated with SL as he used to be. And of course Harry Caray went from the Cards to the Cubs long before he died).

westofyou
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I just realized when listening to Dick Enberg this week that the NL West has three absolute legends doing games on the West Coast. Enberg, Vin Scully with the Dodgers, and Jon Miller with the Giants. To me what sets these three apart is that they are nationally known for national broadcasts, in addition to being affiliated with their particular teams. I used to listen to Vin Scully on NBC Game of the Week all the time. Jon Miller, ESPN marquee games for many many years. And of course Enberg is simply a broadcasting legend, kind of a Brokaw of sports.

In contrast, while Marty might be a Cincinnati legend, even being a Reds fan all my life I really didn't know who he was until getting Sirius radio a few years ago. Not a national name. The only Reds broadcaster I'd heard of was Joe Nuxhall, and that was more for being the youngest player in MLB than for his broadcasting.

Wonder what explains the concentration on the West Coast...could be the good weather and California living, I guess. (We used to have the same kind of thing in St. Louis, but Jack Buck passed away awhile back and Bob Costas isn't as much associated with SL as he used to be. And of course Harry Caray went from the Cards to the Cubs long before he died).

Shoot before Miller we had Hank Greenwald and Lon Simmons doing the Giants, Bill King on the A's, Dave Niehouse up in Seattle and Jerry Coleman doing the radio in San Diego.

The Dodgers currently have Charlie Steiner doing the radio, he's very good as well.

BTW Harry went Cards - A's - White Sox - Cubs

As for the weather.. yes that matters, but there is also more off season opportunities too, Al Michaels left the Reds in 1973 because he could do more in LA than Cincinnati

Hollcat
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Shoot before Miller we had Hank Greenwald and Lon Simmons doing the Giants, Bill King on the A's, Dave Niehouse up in Seattle and Jerry Coleman doing the radio in San Diego.

The Dodgers currently have Charlie Steiner doing the radio, he's very good as well.

BTW Harry went Cards - A's - White Sox - Cubs

As for the weather.. yes that matters, but there is also more off season opportunities too, Al Michaels left the Reds in 1973 because he could do more in LA than Cincinnati

What national broadcasting did Greenwald, Simmons, King, Niehouse or Coleman do? Niehouse and Coleman are the only two I have heard of and thats just because Niehouse's "grand salami time" line which is nearly as bad as the John Sterling lines when the Yankees hit a homerun and Coleman is the one that said someone was "throwing up in the bullpen" one time didn't he

westofyou
08-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Greenwald used to do Playoff games on the radio, prior to ESPN taking over

King might have done more national basketball than baseball

cumberlandreds
08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
The west coast has a ton of great announcers. The Giants TV crew is one of the best, Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. I think the A's crew is very good too. They are Glen Kuiper and Ray Fosse. When Dave Neihaus was living he was one of the best too for the Mariners. It must be, the living is good, aspect that the west coast has so many good announcers.

bucksfan2
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
In the midwest we have Joe Buck :barf:

Raisor
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Raisor thinks that anyone who disses Dave Neihous should be punched in the mouth and be forced to listen to Chip Carey for the rest of their lives, plus when the end comes, no one should be allowed to pull the plug on them so they can listen to Chip Carey for another 20 years on tape.