PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 8/02/2012 Minor League Updates

texasdave
08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Tim Crabbe survives a shaky first inning for Bakersfield and has now set down ten in a row. Crabbe gives up five in the first. The Blaze rally for three in the third and two in the fourth. Steve Selsky is 2 for 3 with a double and a homer. He also has thrown a runner out at third. Theo Bowe may be fast but he gets caught stealing a whole bunch. 21st time today. Juan Duran has a couple of base knocks. Halfway home and the game is all knotted up at five apiece.

This is game number 99 for Selsky between Dayton and Bakersfield and he now has a combined 26 doubles, 4 triples and 15 roundtrippers. :beerme:

texasdave
08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Tim Crabbe pitches a perfect 5th. 13 in a row set down. His day may be over per the Blaze radio guy.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Somehow Duran tweeked a knee on the basepaths and was replaced by Muller.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
This is game number 99 for Selsky between Dayton and Bakersfield and he now has a combined 26 doubles, 4 triples and 15 roundtrippers. :beerme:

Really have to wonder about that Bakersfield place.... Selsky in Dayton, in more playing time, had 3 home runs and 11 doubles. In less time in Bakersfield he has 14 doubles and 11 home runs.

My general rule of thumb, at least as far as hitting stats go (which means changes in K and BB rates should be looked at some), is that if someone hits there, pay little attention to it. When a guy doesn't hit there and is of proper age, worry.

Benihana
08-02-2012, 05:41 PM
With Sharky Rogers' promotion to Pensacola, are the Bakersfield Blaze now the least interesting minor league affiliate the Reds have had in the last decade?

texasdave
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
With Sharky Rogers' promotion to Pensacola, are the Bakersfield Blaze now the least interesting minor league affiliate the Reds have had in the last decade?

And they started out the year as very interesting.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Doubtful.

But here is what is funny, as of right now, they are the only team looking like they are heading to the playoffs from the full season guys. Billings is on a pretty good run, so they might join them. Pensacola has a chance.

powersackers
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
At Dayton. Will give a Masset report shortly.

powersackers
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Masset first inning. 91 and 92 MPH on fastball. Hit 93. Change 79 to 81 MPH. Lots of foul balls on the first batter. 12 pitches at least. GO4 on a change. 2nd out GO5 on one pitch. Third batter rockets a single by Buckley and steals 2b. 4th batter FO7.

powersackers
08-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Mongo Mungarian takes over for Masset.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Bakersfield wins a wild one. Down 7-5 after seven they score two each in the 8th and 9th and then hang on for a 9-8 win. Theo Bowe with three hits and two steals. Selsky and Lohman also with three hits. Juan Duran and Travis Mattair collected a pair of safeties.
Pat Doyle gives up 2 runs in an inning and two-thirds. Chris Joyce pitched a third and gave up a hit and two walks. Andrew Brackman pitched two innings of one-run baseball for the win.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Louisville has one hit after three - a single by Didi who was promptly erased on a double play. Todd Redmond is on the mound He has given up 2 unearned runs - he made the error - as the Bats trail 2 zip after 3.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Dayton leads the biggest operation in history (Lansing, Michigan) by a score of one to nothing after two. Juan Perez singled, advanced on a passed ball and came around on a single off the bat of Spencer Dickinson.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Slidin' Billy walks to leadoff the first. He then steals second and third. Fellhauer doubles him home and eventually scores on an error. Wirfin Obispo doubles and pitches a perfect first two innings, striking out four. Pensacola leads 2-0 after two.

powersackers
08-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Dayton up two nothing on a Juan Perez sac fly. 4 hits for Dayton. Lansing sits at two hits. Mungarian 4 innings of 1 hit ball.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I've read the name for awhile now, but Wirfin Obispo has to be the most unusual unique weirdest name I've about ever come across.

RED VAN HOT
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I've read the name for awhile now, but Wirfin Obispo has to be the most unusual unique weirdest name I've about ever come across.

Obispo is a RZ enigma who has come full circle back to the Reds system. That said, he has put up some good AA numbers recently. Is there any reason to believe that going on 28 he may still prove to be a decent ML bullpen arm?

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Obispo is a RZ enigma who has come full circle back to the Reds system. That said, he has put up some good AA numbers recently. Is there any reason to believe that going on 28 he may still prove to be a decent ML bullpen arm?

I honestly think he has the stuff that he could be a useful bullpen part. He isn't a back end of the bullpen guy, but a 6th, maybe 7th inning guy on most teams? I think he could be.

mace
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Obispo's final line: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K. Pensacola leads 4-1 in the 7th.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Redmond pitches five pretty good innings for the Bats, giving up two unearned runs. Josh Judy comes on and gives up a home run and three singles to load them up without retiring a batter. Carlos Fisher comes in and walks the first two batters he faces. Feeling like giving up a run at a time is taking too long, he gives up a bases clearing double. Charlotte goes on to win 8-1. Dennis Phipps homers to help Louisville avoid being shut out. Phipps also doubled. Gregorius had two hits. Puckett one. JJ Hoover still can't understand why he is in Louisville and Logan Ondrusek isn't.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Phipps' post-ASG numbers are .317/378/.439/.817, not including tonight's 2 for 4 (double and home run).

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Pensacola leads 4-1 after 8 full. David Vidal has two hits, including a big fly. Wahoo pitchers have struck out a dozen so far on the night. Wilkin de la Rosa is a converted outfielder who has, generally, put up some pretty good numbers on the mound.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
The Dragons led 2-0 after five full but it has been downhill from there. Mugarian, Kemp and Jensen combined to allow only five hits in eight innings. They did walk nine batters though. No Dayton hitter has more than one hit. Four singles and a two-bagger.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Billings jumped out to a slim one-run lead but now trail 2-1. Vincej doubled to lead things off and scored on a single by Mejias-Brean. Sal Romano has scuffled, allowing two runs on four hits in his three innings of work.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
AZL Cactus Canines have the night off.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Pensacola pitchers combine on a two-hitter and the Blue Fish tack on two in the ninth to win 6-1. Bryson Smith with two hits. Slidin' Billy had two walks, two steals and two runs scored.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Dayton goes meekly in the ninth, losing 5-2.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Taylor Wall quieting the Mustang hitter so far. Billings with three hits, only one after the first. Sal Romano with a so-so effort. Billings trails 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Billings trails 3-1 after five. Helena brings in a new pitcher. Bad idea. BOOM! goes the dynamite. (My goal is to use that phrase once a day until someone hacks my account.) :D
Vincej singles, Dailey walks, Winker singles in a run, Mejias-Brean doubles in a run and Daniel Pigott doubles in a pair. Mustangs take a 5-3 lead.

NeilHamburger
08-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Hamiltons ability to take a walk has greatly impressed me this season. It tells me he is going deep into counts, and working quality at bats. Even though he'll never hit for power, and MLB pitchers will be more likely to challenge him with strikes because of it, I am beginning to think more and more he may be a legit option at leadoff with a .350 OBP in the pros. Still a long way to go, but being able to take balls, foul off pitches and just generally work a pitcher is a skill that shouldn't really go away as you move up levels. And with his speed, if he gets on base at a .350 clip in front of Votto, I don't care about power.

19braves77
08-02-2012, 11:36 PM
One thing that is kinda getting old with Hamilton is starting every at bat with a drag bunt attempt. Half the time he is starting every at bat 0-1. I am sure there are plenty of other things he coyuld work on other then bunting at this stage of the season.

Vottomatic
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Phipps' post-ASG numbers are .317/378/.439/.817, not including tonight's 2 for 4 (double and home run).

I don't follow the minors as much as others, so I ask: Wasn't Phipps injured for alot of the first half? I thought I saw him do a rehab stint at AZL?

puca
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
One thing that is kinda getting old with Hamilton is starting every at bat with a drag bunt attempt. Half the time he is starting every at bat 0-1. I am sure there are plenty of other things he coyuld work on other then bunting at this stage of the season.

Oh, I don't know, I think the minors is the perfect place to do things like that. The only way he can get good at the drag bunt is by practicing it in games. If he can be successful using a drag bunt, especially when the other team is expecting it, he makes himself even a better top of the order candidate. I don't know if the organization has put him up to that or whether he is doing it on his own, but if it is the later it, it is another sign that Billy will do everything in his power to make himself a better baseball player. Makes me like him even more.

As long as isn't attempting to bunt bad pitches, or is at least improving his pitch recognition while drag bunting (which I imagine is a skill into itself), I think it is all good. Besides, learning how to battle a pitcher while down in the count is not a bad practice for a lead off hitter either.

If he hits the majors and is still starting off every at bat with a drag attempt and putting himself into a 0-1 hole, then it is time to worry.

Scrap Irony
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
If he can master the bunt (a BA of .300 or better), it will improve both his BA and his slugging. The corners will have to play in all the time, making it easier for him to hit the ball down the line or even use the Baltimore chop.

What I wonder, at this point, is if the ground crew are "taking care" of the prospect? Hard, packed earth in front of home plate, super-thick grass in front of the plate, dirt angled from the foul line into the field of play-- all these could mean the difference between .280 hitter and a .300 hitter.

texasdave
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Random thought: For awhile there Norris Hopper was deadly on those drag bunts. It was amazing. Teams knew it was coming and still could not defend against it. Maybe there is a little bit of selective memory going on here, but he seemed to have that knack.

jback76
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Random thought: For awhile there Norris Hopper was deadly on those drag bunts. It was amazing. Teams knew it was coming and still could not defend against it. Maybe there is a little bit of selective memory going on here, but he seemed to have that knack.

Let's hope Billy Hamilton's career goes a little better then Hopper's.

MikeS21
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Hamiltons ability to take a walk has greatly impressed me this season. It tells me he is going deep into counts, and working quality at bats. Even though he'll never hit for power, and MLB pitchers will be more likely to challenge him with strikes because of it, I am beginning to think more and more he may be a legit option at leadoff with a .350 OBP in the pros. Still a long way to go, but being able to take balls, foul off pitches and just generally work a pitcher is a skill that shouldn't really go away as you move up levels. And with his speed, if he gets on base at a .350 clip in front of Votto, I don't care about power.
You get the feeling that if Hamilton can get on base, there will be a lot of times Votto will come up to bat with one out and Hamilton standing at third base.

mdccclxix
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
You get the feeling that if Hamilton can get on base, there will be a lot of times Votto will come up to bat with one out and Hamilton standing at third base.

And lot's of Billy scoring from first on a double.

He could really be a nice, nice piece on this team 2014-2020.

puca
08-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Of course that situation will often immediately transform to BP coming to bat with Hamilton standing on 3rd and Votto standing on 1st.