3 vs. Pirates, 3 @ Pirates = 6 games
4 @ Nationals, 3 vs. Nats = 7 games
4 @ Dodgers
30 games vs. teams over .500
16 at home
14 on road

PuffyPig
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Those games vs. the Phillies should count as against a team over .500.

But when the play the Cards they are still a below .500 team it seems.

I don't recall why.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I hate the fact we play the last 6 games of the season on the road, 3 at the Pirates and 3 at the Cardinals. I hope we have a good solid lead by then.

Kc61
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Pirates have a slightly tougher schedule than the Reds, but the Pirates tough games are mostly in Pittsburgh. They play Arizona, L.A., Braves but all at home. Wonder if Pittsburgh can keep up it's excellent home play against that caliber of opponents.

Looking at the Cards schedule, given that they are 8 games out, I think their chances of overtaking the Reds and Pirates are rather small. They have 18 games with the Nationals, Dodgers, DBacks and Giants, mix of home and road, plus six with Reds and Bucs each. That's 30 very tough games against contenders.

Issue I see for Reds is the head-to-head games with the Bucs and Cards - and the fact that Reds' games against weaker teams are mostly on the road. Reds have done great on the road so far, it needs to continue.

Reds' schedule is sufficiently favorable it wouldn't surprise if they hold on to win the division. But, IMO, it's Reds and Pirates, with Cards having a very small chance.

Reds1
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It almost looks like the team that can win head to head has a major upper hand to win the division. Reds are hot now and I hope it continues awhile, but we know baseball and it this won't continue the rest of the year, but be nice to at least get 2 of 3 this weekend. With our schedule I see no reason why the REds can't keep clipping off series. I'm going to the two Dodger games. Those would be huge. It's going to be fun. We picked a great time for Votto to be out, but now we are going to be needing him.

Homer Bailey
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Interesting that the Reds games against below .500 teams are mostly on the road. Makes it a bit more interesting I guess.

cumberlandreds
08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Looks like the Cubs may play a big role in this with 11 big games left with them. Reds need to care of business with them and beat'em like a drum.
Phillies are going to be real tough. They still have good starting pitching and are mostly healthy now. Those games are going be huge with them.
Reds have a real tough 10 game stretch later this month to watch out for. Starting Aug 20th they play 3 at Philly. Then come back home to play the Cards three games. Then right back out on the road to Arizona for three. A .500 or better record in that stretch would go a long way to winning this division.

Vottomatic
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, Maholm and Dempster are gone, so hopefully that means easy pickin's.

oregonred
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Remember a few years when the Lost Decade Reds reigned havoc on the Cubs. They aren't an awful team.

Never get MLB scheduling - the Reds/Phils and Cards/Nats are prime examples. Also Cards are almost done with the Lovable Losers.

Guess we are big Padre fans the rest of the way.

Reds1
08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Remember a few years when the Lost Decade Reds reigned havoc on the Cubs. They aren't an awful team.

Never get MLB scheduling - the Reds/Phils and Cards/Nats are prime examples. Also Cards are almost done with the Lovable Losers.

Guess we are big Padre fans the rest of the way.

That's why we gave sd some good talent

Kc61
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Week of August 13 is important. Reds play Mets and Cubs, seven games, at home. Bucs play Dodgers four at home, then to St. L. Cards at home play DBacks and Bucs.

After next week the Reds schedule gets tougher.

Reds have that have that double header with the Cubs on Saturday which may mean Alfredo Simon or a minor league pitcher getting a start. Also will face the knuckleballer Dickey of the Mets, a Cy Young candidate.

We'll see if Reds can gain some more cushion by next Sunday.

Tom Servo
08-12-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm not big on worrying about the schedule, personally. One game at a time.

mattfeet
08-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Week of August 13 is important. Reds play Mets and Cubs, seven games, at home. Bucs play Dodgers four at home, then to St. L. Cards at home play DBacks and Bucs.

After next week the Reds schedule gets tougher.

Reds have that have that double header with the Cubs on Saturday which may mean Alfredo Simon or a minor league pitcher getting a start. Also will face the knuckleballer Dickey of the Mets, a Cy Young candidate.

We'll see if Reds can gain some more cushion by next Sunday.

All signs point to Todd Redmond getting the spot start.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
All signs point to Todd Redmond getting the spot start.

Chris Welsh kept mentioning that there is some sort of special call-up rule for doubleheaders. He kept inferring they could bring up Redmond without sending someone down to the minors. Is that correct? I had never heard about this before.

PuffyPig
08-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Chris Welsh kept mentioning that there is some sort of special call-up rule for doubleheaders. He kept inferring they could bring up Redmond without sending someone down to the minors. Is that correct? I had never heard about this before.

They can bring up one player for the DH, then he goes down, without any corresponding roster move.

It seems likely they will bring up Redmond. Otherwise they would eventually have to start everyone on 4 days rest starting Sunday.

This is the time of year where managers try and get their starters a little extra rest, not less.

Redmond can pitch one of the DH, and everyone will be able to pitch with an extra day for their next start this week, and then back to regular rest after that.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
They can bring up one player for the DH, then he goes down, without any corresponding roster move.

It seems likely they will bring up Redmond. Otherwise they would eventually have to start everyone on 4 days rest starting Sunday.

This is the time of year where managers try and get their starters a little extra rest, not less.

Redmond can pitch one of the DH, and everyone will be able to pitch with an extra day for their next start this week, and then back to regular rest after that.

Thanks. I never knew that rule existed. Seems like a no brainer to bring up Redmond for one of the games Saturday. They said he was scheduled to start Friday in Louisville so he would be on regular rotation for that start.

hebroncougar
08-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Marshall is going to be very, very important for that Phils series in the 7th and 8th to face Utley and Howard.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Kc61
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not big on worrying about the schedule, personally. One game at a time.

I'm kind of the opposite. I think W-L records in sports can be very misleading if fans don't take the schedule into account.

In the NFL, with so few games, schedule is a major big deal. In MLB, at this point of the season, it's also a big deal.

That said, there is no guarantee that schedule will dictate the outcome. I get that and wouldn't argue otherwise.

But schedule is important. Looking to September, the Pirates have an incredibly easy schedule. All Cubs, Astros, Mets and Brewers along with six v. Reds.

Reds and Cards have tougher September schedules, both play the Dodgers, Cards play the Nats, Reds play the Phils.

This week, the Reds have seven games at home against modest competition. Pirates have tough competition. Good time for Reds to add to the lead.

MikeThierry
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm kind of the opposite. I think W-L records in sports can be very misleading if fans don't take the schedule into account.

In the NFL, with so few games, schedule is a major big deal. In MLB, at this point of the season, it's also a big deal.

That said, there is no guarantee that schedule will dictate the outcome. I get that and wouldn't argue otherwise.

But schedule is important. Looking to September, the Pirates have an incredibly easy schedule. All Cubs, Astros, Mets and Brewers along with six v. Reds.

Reds and Cards have tougher September schedules, both play the Dodgers, Cards play the Nats, Reds play the Phils.

This week, the Reds have seven games at home against modest competition. Pirates have tough competition. Good time for Reds to add to the lead.

This was the point I was trying to bring up in several posts about the Phillies. They are under .500 but don't expect easy victories against them. The Cardinals laying an egg in Philadelphia this weekend is a perfect example as how the "strength of schedule" is misleading.

I think the Padres beating up on the Pirates this week is another example as to why strength of schedule is not an indication of how the outcome will be.

Homer Bailey
08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
This was the point I was trying to bring up in several posts about the Phillies. They are under .500 but don't expect easy victories against them. The Cardinals laying an egg in Philadelphia this weekend is a perfect example as how the "strength of schedule" is misleading.

I think the Padres beating up on the Pirates this week is another example as to why strength of schedule is not an indication of how the outcome will be.

No one ever ever said the Phillies would be easy victories. But the fact is that the Phillies are not nearly as good as you give them credit for. And no, the Cardinals "laying an egg" is not a perfect example of how strength of schedule is misleading. Was the Reds getting swept by the Brewers a perfect example of how strength of schedule is misleading? No, these types of things happen during the ebb and flow of a season.

OldXOhio
08-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Well, Maholm and Dempster are gone, so hopefully that means easy pickin's.

Cubs may not be done dealing either....Soriano?

PuffyPig
08-13-2012, 02:08 PM

A bad hitter can still get a hit off a great pitcher. It's just that the percentages are less.

A team has a betetr chance of winning over a sub-.500 team than an above-.500 team. Sure it's no guaranty, but you'll find that most teams will have a better record vs. the pooer teams on balance and over a larger sample size.

The strength of schedule over the balance of the season does not favour the Cards. Especially when they have had extreme difficulty beating above .500 teams this year.

That's the only point anyone here has ever been trying to make.

Even though you seem adament to suggest that many have said that the series vs. the sub-.500 Phillies will be a cake walk.

Kc61
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
One factor on schedule is home v. away. Both the Pirates and Cards have slightly sub-.500 road records. The Reds have a 33-26 road record. All have played 58-59 road games so far.

Assuming the teams play roughly as well on the road going forward, this is an advantage for the Reds and hopefully offsets the Pirates' September advantage in record of opposing teams.

Another factor is how well the opposition plays at its home stadium. For example, the Brewers play well at home and Pittsburgh goes in there again. The Mets and Padres are just under .500 at home, and the Pirates go there. Reds play in Arizona, good home record. Reds play in Miami, .500 home team. Reds play four in Philly, poor home record, but a team that can suprise with Utley and Howard playing.

Cards play four in DC and four in LA, both with very good home records. Also play in SD.

Another factor, unknowable, is what teams play hard down the stretch and what teams don't. Non-contenders can go either way.

All these factors, while not determinative, will have a role.

Big Klu
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks. I never knew that rule existed. Seems like a no brainer to bring up Redmond for one of the games Saturday. They said he was scheduled to start Friday in Louisville so he would be on regular rotation for that start.

I think it's a new rule this year. Clubs are allowed a 26-man roster on doubleheader days.

Vottomatic
08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Update 8-21-12

Reds
vs. under .500 teams
3 vs. Brewers = 3 games
3 @ Cubs = 3 games
3 @ Phillies, 3 vs. Phillies = 6 games
3 @ Astros, 3 vs. Astros = 6 games
3 @ Marlins = 3 games
21 games vs. under .500 teams
12 on road
9 at home

vs. over .500 teams
3 vs. Cardinals, 3 @ Cardinals = 6 games
3 @ Diamondbacks = 3 games
3 vs. Dodgers = 3 games
18 games vs. over .500 teams
9 at home
9 on road

Pirates
vs. under .500 teams
2 @ Padres = 2 games
6 vs. Brewers, 3 @ Brewers = 9 games
3 vs. Astros, 3 @ Astros = 6 games
3 vs. Cubs, 4 @ Cubs = 7 games
4 @ Mets = 4 games
28 games vs. teams under .500
12 at home
16 on road

vs. over .500 teams
3 @ Reds, 3 vs. Reds = 6 games
3 vs. Cardinals = 3 games
3 vs. Braves = 3 games
12 games vs. teams over .500
9 at home
3 on the road

Cardinals
vs. under .500 teams
3 vs. Brewers = 3 games
6 vs. Astros, 3 @ Astros = 9 games
3 vs. Mets = 3 games
3 @ Padres = 3 games
3 @ Cubs = 3 games
21 games vs. teams under .500
9 on road
12 at home

vs. over .500 teams
3 @ Pirates = 3 games
4 @ Dodgers = 4 games
20 games vs. teams over .500
6 at home
14 on road

====================

Looking to me like the Pirates have the easiest remaining schedule and the Cardinals have the toughest.

Vottomatic
08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Update 8-24-12

Reds
vs. under .500 teams
3 vs. Brewers = 3 games
3 @ Cubs = 3 games
3 vs. Phillies = 6 games
3 @ Astros, 3 vs. Astros = 6 games
3 @ Marlins = 3 games
18 games vs. under .500 teams
9 on road
9 at home

vs. over .500 teams
3 vs. Cardinals, 3 @ Cardinals = 6 games
3 @ Diamondbacks = 3 games
3 vs. Dodgers = 3 games
18 games vs. over .500 teams
9 at home
9 on road

Pirates
vs. under .500 teams
6 vs. Brewers, 3 @ Brewers = 9 games
3 vs. Cubs, 4 @ Cubs = 7 games
4 @ Mets = 4 games
26 games vs. teams under .500
12 at home
14 on road

vs. over .500 teams
3 vs. Cardinals = 3 games
3 vs. Braves = 3 games
12 games vs. teams over .500
9 at home
3 on the road

Cardinals
vs. under .500 teams
3 vs. Brewers = 3 games
3 vs. Mets = 3 games
3 @ Padres = 3 games
3 @ Cubs = 3 games
18 games vs. teams under .500
9 on road
9 at home

vs. over .500 teams
3 @ Pirates = 3 games
4 @ Dodgers = 4 games
20 games vs. teams over .500
6 at home
14 on road

====================

Looking to me like the Pirates have the easiest remaining schedule and the Cardinals have the toughest.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:30 AM
In looking at schedule, next ten games is Cards' biggest challenge. Reds, Bucs, Nats on road.

Cards later in September have seven on the west coast, that will also be a challenge. Then the very end, all the contending teams have tough games.

Pirates' cupcake schedule doesn't quite kick in just yet. Next 9 games are 6 with Brewers, three with Cards. But the second Brewers series is in Milwaukee, where Brewers play well. Bucs should be able to handle this weekend, Brewers in Pittsburgh, Brewers poor on road.

Reds' schedule will look better after this weekend. The "at Philly" and then Cards section always looked tough. Then Reds go to Arizona and Houston, which should be manageable.

The team on the spot for the next ten days or so is the Cards. We'll see how they come out of it.

PuffyPig
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Vottomatic, I thionk you have the Cards playing the Astros 6 times in St. Louis. 3 of those are in Houston.