PDA

View Full Version : J. Hamilton weirdness

Trajinous
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
http://deadspin.com/5931354/something-weird-is-going-on-with-josh-hamilton

I'm not meaning to bring up the trade arguments up with this thread. Hamilton said some strange and mysterious things. After his hot start, he's hitting worst than Rolen in the first half. What is going on with him?

arkimadee
08-02-2012, 07:57 PM
That's very interesting. I think I read once that he gets drug tested like 2 or 3 times a week so you would think if he were back on them he would show up positive. With that being said from the cryptic message he is suffering from some kind of demons. Maybe Alchoho? If you are the Rangers you have the be thankful that you didn't give him alot of years and alot of money when people were putting pressure on you to do so. Ron Washington was on Power Alley with Mike Ferrin and you could tell he seemed kind of frustrated with his struggles. He even moved him down in the order hoping to get him going. You never know, maybe theres an injury hes not telling anyone about because it's his contract year.

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Does anybody have any idea at all how his free agent discussions are going to go this fall? His situation is pretty unprecedented. He's got 200 million dollar talent. But he's so risky you almost wouldn't want to give him a guaranteed MLB contract period.

I see a big discount, a lot of team options, and a team opt out clause contingent on a positive test/alcohol relapse.

Red Raindog
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I heard - ESPN Radio I think - that there are marriage problems -- but I would be cautious considering the source

EMAW
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Hoping this does not turn out like Caminiti

jhiller21
08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Considering the drug tests he takes on a regular basis he might just be drinking again. Alcohol doesn't show up on a test after 24 hours.

Still not good, Mickey Mantle used to play drunk sometimes, and it affected his game. I imagine Mickey could still hit pretty well drunk though.

jback76
08-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I like the guy a lot, but I'd never give him a huge long term contract.

drowg14
08-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I like the guy a lot, but I'd never give him a huge long term contract.

I agree with this.

I really have no idea what kind of contract he is going to receive. I feel like it will end up being a short(ish) deal, with a really high AAV. Something like 3/75. Although I could see him get something along 5/115. But if any team gave him more years than that, they would be crazy. He is already 31, and with his history he isn't a great candidate to have an extremely long and healthy career. Even 5 years is probably too long at that AAV.

But I do like him, and hope he is able to get the deal he deserves, and can continue playing baseball for as long as he wants. He is very fun to watch.

RedsFanInBama
08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
He said yesterday it was about quitting chewing tobacco.

jback76
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
He said yesterday it was about quitting chewing tobacco.

I read that also, he's struggling because of his lack of obedience. I don't know but I think there's more to it then just chewing tobacco.

malcontent
08-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I think part of the problem is that he sees everything as a religious issue....obedience or disobedience to God.

Maybe his religious faith helped him out of his addiction to cocaine, but after a point it's got to be counter-productive.

He should just thank his lucky stars for his family, health and talent....and look at addiction to anything (tobacco, whatever) as a mental and physical health issue.

RedsFanInBama
08-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I think part of the problem is that he sees everything as a religious issue....obedience or disobedience to God.

For people of faith, every issue is about that. That's not unique to Josh Hamilton.

malcontent
08-04-2012, 06:26 PM
For people of faith, every issue is about that. That's not unique to Josh Hamilton.
But that's not a problem?

That kind of faith actually comes between people, IMO.

RedsFanInBama
08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
But that's not a problem?

That kind of faith actually comes between people, IMO.

Is it a problem for me? No.

By what he believes, God and his relationship with God is at the very center of his life. It has to be that way for him as a believer. That's what is demanded of him by his faith. I'm not going to say whether that's right or wrong. If faith is the most important thing to him, how can it be wrong that he gives it top priority in every aspect of his life?

malcontent
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Is it a problem for me? No.

By what he believes, God and his relationship with God is at the very center of his life. It has to be that way for him as a believer. That's what is demanded of him by his faith. I'm not going to say whether that's right or wrong. If faith is the most important thing to him, how can it be wrong that he gives it top priority in every aspect of his life?
I see your point.

I'm just always left wondering why family isn't more important. Bottom line.

RedsFanInBama
08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I see your point.

I'm just always left wondering why family isn't more important. Bottom line.

Eh, I don't want to turn this into the religion forum. That's never a good thing from what I have seen.

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 06:44 PM
I understand the sensitivity with the issue... i understand his position in sports and the platform he is on... i understand his past and how serious his problems have been in the past.

But when it was publicized that he had a beer early this year... i couldnt help but feel sorry for the guy.

Hamilton has had a lot of weight on him even prior to his stardom... and now he cant get away from it... i dont blame the guy if he relapses, because i think the fans/media/Rangers partially push him in that direction... i just dont want to see it cost him his career, or worse... other stars in baseball and other sports have certainly done a lot worse

malcontent
08-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Eh, I don't want to turn this into the religion forum. That's never a good thing from what I have seen.
agree

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Always stay away from religion & politics. On the other hand when you've fallen as far as Josh has and then worked your way to AL MVP I could understand how religion is a big part of his life.

jwmann2
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
He may indeed have marriage problems. I have heard he hasn't been all that faithful down in Texas but what Major Leaguer is these days?

P.E.R#14
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Four words: Not the Reds problem!!

Go Reds!!

bmwreds31
08-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Marriage problems will drive a man into temporary insanity!

The_Mudshark
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
This guy gets more free passes than anyone in the world.

How many other drug addicts in the world get thousands of letters of encouragment from adoring fans every time they have a relapse?

This guy has been caught cheating on his wife, and partying in public multiple times and people are still saying: "Poor Josh and his demons..."

I understand addiction, to alcohol and narcotics. I have seen it first hand and have people close to me struggling with addiction - I know it is not easy. I understand that Hamilton is constantly in the spotlight, and that sometimes fuels his relapses. I also understand that he is immensly talented, and that is why he gets all of these 'passes', and I realize he had a very difficult year with one of his mentors dying and the fan falling out of the stands - but at some point, you need to man up. If you need a babysitter 24 hours a day to stop you from taking a sip of booze, you probably don't belong on a major league roster - no matter how well you play when you aren't on drugs or emotionally drained. The game is better with him in it, but if he can't meet the standards of the game he shouldn't get to play it.

I saw an interview with him and his wife about 5 years ago where she was talking about how she would have to pick him up from practice and take him directly home, because if he had any down time by himself he would go to a bar or a 'dark place'. I also heard he doesn't have access to his own money... Pathetic.

Best of luck to him and his family, hopefully the media is making this bigger than it is.

miamiredskin
08-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The game is better with him in it, but if he can't meet the standards of the game he shouldn't get to play it.

What standard of the game is he not meeting? I assume he is passing the drug tests or he would have been suspended.

If not drinking or cheating on your wife are standards of the game, they're going to have to empty out a lot of clubhouses.

OGB
08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I was wrong in supporting the Volquez/Hamilton trade when it went down, but possible relapse and durability issues were the main reasons I didn't mind trading Hamilton away.

That said, I hope for his sake and his family's, that he is able to keep his demons at bay.

Red in Atl
08-06-2012, 06:33 PM
This guy gets more free passes than anyone in the world.

How many other drug addicts in the world get thousands of letters of encouragment from adoring fans every time they have a relapse?

This guy has been caught cheating on his wife, and partying in public multiple times and people are still saying: "Poor Josh and his demons..."

I understand addiction, to alcohol and narcotics. I have seen it first hand and have people close to me struggling with addiction - I know it is not easy. I understand that Hamilton is constantly in the spotlight, and that sometimes fuels his relapses. I also understand that he is immensly talented, and that is why he gets all of these 'passes', and I realize he had a very difficult year with one of his mentors dying and the fan falling out of the stands - but at some point, you need to man up. If you need a babysitter 24 hours a day to stop you from taking a sip of booze, you probably don't belong on a major league roster - no matter how well you play when you aren't on drugs or emotionally drained. The game is better with him in it, but if he can't meet the standards of the game he shouldn't get to play it.

I saw an interview with him and his wife about 5 years ago where she was talking about how she would have to pick him up from practice and take him directly home, because if he had any down time by himself he would go to a bar or a 'dark place'. I also heard he doesn't have access to his own money... Pathetic.

Best of luck to him and his family, hopefully the media is making this bigger than it is.

Well put. I've never understood the hand wringing on this guy.

He plays great, but he'll never be a great player...gotta have more than ability to do that.

Is it sad...yes. It's also a lesson for others. That's why guy's like Josh exist. It's not like he hasn't had a great life regardless.

joshua
08-07-2012, 12:56 AM
As someone who's struggled with addiction in the past, if he needs constant monitoring then that means he doesn't want to be clean at all. He's been at points far beyond where physical addiction no longer affects him and to where it's entirely on himself. The only reason he's had big stretches of sobriety is because other people are telling him to, nothing in his behavior shows that HE wants it. Hell, even Keith Richards doesn't need a damn SWAT team to keep him sober.

You can have help with addiction, of course...but that help needs to be like a boxing trainer: Gives you some pointers before the fight and yells some encouragement, but you have to get in the ring all on your own. Hamilton is sitting at ringside while other people are taking the punches. That's never going to work.

The_Mudshark
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
As someone who's struggled with addiction in the past, if he needs constant monitoring then that means he doesn't want to be clean at all. He's been at points far beyond where physical addiction no longer affects him and to where it's entirely on himself. The only reason he's had big stretches of sobriety is because other people are telling him to, nothing in his behavior shows that HE wants it. Hell, even Keith Richards doesn't need a damn SWAT team to keep him sober.

You can have help with addiction, of course...but that help needs to be like a boxing trainer: Gives you some pointers before the fight and yells some encouragement, but you have to get in the ring all on your own. Hamilton is sitting at ringside while other people are taking the punches. That's never going to work.

Took me a while to get back to this thread, but I have to point out that I COMPLETELY agree with this post, especially that part about him not wanting to be clean.

+1, Joshua :thumbup: