PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee put on waivers

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Phillies are willing to pay 100% of his salary for all of your top 10 prospects. Just kidding.

I don't know what happened to Lee. Is he bored or on the decline? I haven't looked it up, but what year is that big contract over? 2015? 2016? Sheesh.

I'm not really interested because I don't think it's doable. They'd probably want Leake or Bailey in return along with a whole host of other prospects.

Tornon
08-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I think it's just a bit of a down year for him and expect him to bounce back. Just about every player is put on waivers in August so I'm not sure why we're hearing so much about Lee.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
He is using his pitches with different frequency than last year. He is still a very good pitcher though. He might be on an ever so slight decline, I am not really sure, but given his age it wouldn't surprise me.

Brutus
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Cliff Lee won't be traded. I know this is one of those absolute statements that probably shouldn't be made, but it defies logic. The amount of talent they could receive for Lee two days ago wasn't enough to trade, now there is almost no logic behind a trade.

If someone claimed him, sure they could let him go for 100% of the salary. But I know they will not give Lee away. So let's assume he went unclaimed... he could be traded, but for what? Anyone they'd acquire in return would either have to be off the 40-man roster or otherwise would have to pass waivers. If they were on the 40-man roster, chances are if they have any value, they won't make it through anyhow.

This is a situation where I don't think I'll have to eat my words when saying he won't be dealt. But if he is, I guess I'm fair game.

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Would give us a chance to compete with the AL in my opinion should we make the World Series.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
If Lee clears waivers, the Phillies might be able to trade him. Lee can block trades to 21 teams, including the Diamondbacks. The Yankees, Braves and Marlins are not on his no-trade list, however.

The 33-year-old Lee earns $21.5MM this year and $25MM per season from 2013-15. His contract includes a $27.5MM vesting option ($12.5MM buyout) for 2016. If one or more teams claim Lee despite his contract, the Phillies could attempt to work out a trade with the team that wins the claim, assuming Lee doesn’t veto the move. - mlbtr.com

$25M??? $27.5M vesting option???? Geez.

RedlegJake
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
87.5 million remaining plus this year's remaining salary if you choose the buyout? Chickenfeed! Let's do it Bob!

TOBTTReds
08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Everyone gets put on waivers. The only difference here, is someone might make a claim, and the Phillies might say "Yes, please" a la Alexi Rios a few years back. Phillies have so many holes to fill coming up.

oregonred
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Wow that 2016 vesting option at age 37 is like an LBO takeover poison pill in the contract.

Egad.

RedsManRick
08-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Obviously the waivers thing is meaningless. As for decline, I'll take a 8.6 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9 8 days a week.

His BABIP is up a little. His HR rate is up a little. He's basically the same guy with some slight bad luck and crazy quirkiness on the lack of decisions.

VR
08-03-2012, 01:26 AM
He's struggled late in games. Could be luck, could be age.

If the Reds want to win it all....they will need a horse like Cliff.

fearofpopvol1
08-03-2012, 01:56 AM
There really aren't too many teams who could afford Lee at that salary for that many years. But I bet the Yankees might be interested. And I doubt the Yankees are on Lee's "no trade" list.

Sea Ray
08-03-2012, 08:57 AM
If someone claimed him, sure they could let him go for 100% of the salary. But I know they will not give Lee away.

I don't know about that. As an owner of another team, I would not claim him because I'd be scared to death that you might be wrong...

smith288
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
The Pirates will mortgage another 30 yrs of mediocrity and grab him and beat us with him. Just watch.

Brutus
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Well, according to Jon Heyman, at least one team did put in a claim on Cliff Lee.

I'm sticking by the assertion that the Phillies won't let him go for free.

mdccclxix
08-03-2012, 04:52 PM
If you're a contender, it's the right thing to do to claim Lee and just kill the possibility he goes to anyone else. Philly can hold all that risk for all I care. They don't appear to be in very good shape offensively for a long time.

mdccclxix
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
No way they just let him walk. They've got a lot more money tied up next year, I think they make a push with the hope they stay healthy in 2013 then start things like salary dumping in 2014.

Revering4Blue
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, according to Jon Heyman, at least one team did put in a claim on Cliff Lee.

I'm also sticking with your assertion for all of the reasons you (Brutus) stated earlier.

In fact, I can only envision the Phillies jettisoning Lee in return for prime prospects, which will require the Phillies to pick up at least most of the tab--Lee's salary. Natural fits, such as the Dodgers and Yankees, either don't have the requisite prospects or do not want to exceed the luxury tax threshold.

PuffyPig
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
If Lee was a FA, he wouldn't get $87.5M for 4 years.

So why would anyone give up premium prospects to get someone they would sign for free?

And why wouldn't the Phillies just let him go?

REDREAD
08-03-2012, 05:24 PM

I agree. They can trade him in the offseason and get something of value for him, if they can't work a deal now.

When we see all the money the Rangers paid for Darvish (4.38 ERA, not exactly an ace) last year, it's proof teams will pay big money for the mere hope of an ace.. Lee is still worth some prime prospects in a trade. No one is getting him for free.

oregonred
08-03-2012, 05:41 PM
It's actually 87.5M for 3 years (with option buy-out) or $102.5M for 4 years (2013-2016) for a 34-year old pitcher.

With payroll luxury tax changes that contract is a potential huge albatross for a big market team.

How many teams would even consider taking on 87.5/3 or 102.5/4 for more than one A or 2 lower prospects?

mattfeet
08-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Lee was claimed on waivers today.

Nathan
08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Lee was claimed on waivers today.

Dodgers.

muddie
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Dodgers.

Wow.

Brutus
08-03-2012, 06:39 PM
The Dogers have until Sunday to try and work out a deal with the Phillies. After that, the Phillies can either revoke the claim or let him walk with the Dodgers absorbing the entire contract. It doesn't appear a deal will be struck, nor will the Phillies let Lee walk. So he'll probably stay with Philly.

Revering4Blue
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
The Dodgers just acquired Joe Blanton and Ted Lilly is expected to return soon.

Is it even possible that any trade for Lee will involve a veteran Dodger starter, presuming any current veteran Dodger starter clears waivers?

I know it's Cliff Lee, but it's an awfully crowded rotation in LA already.