PDA

View Full Version : Presure and this weekend series

brm7675
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Just wondering..if you had to pick, which team has it been tougher on mentally since the ASB?

The Reds who have played all but 3 games without Votto, put up a 10 game winning streak and something like 13 our of 16 but have not been able to add any signficant games to their lead in the division...

or

The Pirates who are for the most part healthy and have played pretty good baseball also since the ASB and in fact have lost about a game or so in teh standing?

Who NEEDS this weekend series more?

Anything outside of a sweep for either team and no real ground will be made up or lost...

Also..can anyone remember the last time an August matchup between the Pirates and Reds actually ment something?

mrherd05
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
We have gained four games on them since the All Star Break.

That is Four games in three weeks, not to bad.

Smithy
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I think the Buccos need this series more then we do.. Now saying that do i want to lose Hell no..

brm7675
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
We have gained four games on them since the All Star Break.

That is Four games in three weeks, not to bad.

But during that time we put together a great win streak and such. If someone had told you coming out of the ASB the Reds would win 10 in a row and go 17-3, wouldn't you think our lead would be a bit bigger?

Also, as of right now where is the love for hte Pirates and Reds? I mean on ESPN last night it was 40 minutes into their BTN show before any Reds highlights, and very little pub for this upcoming weekend series. I know we are the midwest and most thought the NL Central at the start of the season was weak and we do have both the Cubs and Stros in our division...but the central does have the reigning WS champs and two very good teams this year.

MrRedLegger
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I am *!$@ing ready to beat the god @!*$ @$*#ing !@#& out of the #%*!ing $&!@#y son of a $*@&% Pirates and hope we @&!% them in the @$$.

That being said, I wish both teams good luck this weekend and for the remainder of the season.

Ironman92
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Pirates definitely need it 5x more.

arkimadee
08-03-2012, 11:39 AM
More than likely it will be a 1 game swing either way. I don't forsee either team sweeping this series. It's a big series but let's not forget that it was about this very week in 2010 when the Cards swept us and we went on a rampage to win the division. It's too early to get carried away about 1 series. That being said a sweep would be nice :)

R_Webb18
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
it seems the pirates have beaten us a lot since last year so id say the reds need it. were at home and we should expect to win.

MrRedLegger
08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
If someone had told you coming out of the ASB the Reds would win 10 in a row and go 17-3, wouldn't you think our lead would be a bit bigger?

999 out of a 1000 times yes our lead would be bigger than three and a half games.

This is not a bad thing, its making this season (for us and all of baseball) one for the ages and we are watching it unfold in real time. And for a nice change, we aren't watching it from the basement of the NL Central.

Its only early August but this is one of the most magical Reds seasons I've ever witnessed. (sans 1990, 1999, and I wasn't alive during BRM era) I'd list the reasons and examples but there are far too many and most are obvious. This topic is also more appropriate at the beginning of the offseason.

Go Reds!

jback76
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I will feel much better and more at ease if when can win this first game. I don't want my doom and gloom to come out again just yet.

brm7675
08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I am *!$@ing ready to beat the god @!*$ @$*#ing !@#& out of the #%*!ing $&!@#y son of a $*@&% Pirates and hope we @&!% them in the @$$.

That being said, I wish both teams good luck this weekend and for the remainder of the season.

As there AAA team is in Indy, I have a small "love" for the Pirates since we get to see some of their good young talent here in Indy, which by the way is having a great year and the best team in the IL with 66+ wins so far..

Who Dey Time
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
It's three games at the beginning of August. That's it.

I distinctly remember the sky fall mentality of Reds fans after the Cardinals sweep in August 2010. As we saw, there is too much baseball to be played to get too involved in what happens this weekend.

Having said that, beating Pittsburgh's a$$ is just fine by me. :D

brm7675
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
It's three games at the beginning of August. That's it.

I distinctly remember the sky fall mentality of Reds fans after the Cardinals sweep in August 2010. As we saw, there is too much baseball to be played to get too involved in what happens this weekend.

Having said that, beating Pittsburgh's a$$ is just fine by me. :D

I think for the Reds a sweep wouldn't be devistating as we have gone through that before, but not the same with the Pirates, if they leave Sunday evening 6.5 back, then you have to wonder how that impacts them, especially if that happens after they switched AJ to pitch sunday over his original start of Monday.

Stray
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
2 out of 3 only gains one game for whatever team, and if we get swept we'll still be in 1st place. I don't think there's a lot of pressure here.

jback76
08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
All games are important. If we get to the end of the season needing to sweep the Pirates we could be looking back at this series a bit differently.

MrRedLegger
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd say that this series puts more pressure on Pittsburgh. At 3.5 back they have much more to lose considering they can't pass us up this weekend no matter what

bounty37h
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
But during that time we put together a great win streak and such. If someone had told you coming out of the ASB the Reds would win 10 in a row and go 17-3, wouldn't you think our lead would be a bit bigger?

Also, as of right now where is the love for hte Pirates and Reds? I mean on ESPN last night it was 40 minutes into their BTN show before any Reds highlights, and very little pub for this upcoming weekend series. I know we are the midwest and most thought the NL Central at the start of the season was weak and we do have both the Cubs and Stros in our division...but the central does have the reigning WS champs and two very good teams this year.

I think it puts a lil more pressure on the Bucs, they have been winning but not making up any ground-that gets more frustrating over time I think then winning and not putting distance between.

Kingspoint
08-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Win the series. Keep putting pressure on those behind us. The goal is home field throughout the playoffs.

brm7675
08-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Win the series. Keep putting pressure on those behind us. The goal is home field throughout the playoffs.

Well thanks to Tony we have WS homefield advantage taken care of...:laugh:

adampad
08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I will feel much better and more at ease if when can win this first game. I don't want my doom and gloom to come out again just yet.

Lol. I'm with ya.

I'll be honest.....in 2010 it was awesome we won the central but I didn't feel like we were really that good. I was excited for 2011 and they disappointed. We lost a lot of close games and the Reds just were not very fun to watch. I expected 2012 to be more of the same, especially after the slowish start to the season.

The only game I've made it to this year was the Reds against the Astros. And the Reds got pounded. They fell to 9-11 and I was ready to be miserable the entire summer. But since then they've been on a steady uptick. Looking back at the schedule, they've only had a couple of rough patches and those where games they could've won easily. In a six game stretch, the Reds lost four 1 run games to Cleveland and the Twins (that was all during the week Chapman was hittable). Then the west coast trip came...not counting the first game in San Fran (5-0 loss), they lost 4 more games by a total of 7 runs. The west coast trip ended with a 6-5 record.

This past three weeks have been incredible. I don't ever remember the Reds going on such a tear. Sure the schedule has been nice to us lately, but I'm starting to get that winning feeling. You know the one where you just know they will win somehow. This team is getting that swag. They have come together. They are starting to feel a lot like that 99 team did to me. I love it.

Can't wait for this series against the pirates. I haven't watched them, but they scare me. They are young and building confidence and that city has got to be hungry for a winner. With both teams playing so well it should be great series.

adampad
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
double post

OGB
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Since pretty much everybody in baseball thought the Reds would be out of it by August 1st, I'd have to say the pressure is on the Pirates.

texasdave
08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
If there is any pressure, I think it will fall on the team that loses game one.

Ironman92
08-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Brisco
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Just wondering..if you had to pick, which team has it been tougher on mentally since the ASB?

The Reds who have played all but 3 games without Votto, put up a 10 game winning streak and something like 13 our of 16 but have not been able to add any signficant games to their lead in the division...

or

The Pirates who are for the most part healthy and have played pretty good baseball also since the ASB and in fact have lost about a game or so in teh standing?

Who NEEDS this weekend series more?

Anything outside of a sweep for either team and no real ground will be made up or lost...

Also..can anyone remember the last time an August matchup between the Pirates and Reds actually ment something?

BRM

Excellent post and question. I did not answer prior to last night's game, but I think the easy answer for tonight is the Pirates.

I think the pressure is on the Pirates even more for Sunday since they altered their rotation for the game.

Brisco

Kingspoint
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Since pretty much everybody in baseball thought the Reds would be out of it by August 1stI don't know who these people were other than brm.