PDA

View Full Version : Any actual Marty bald pics?

Wheelhouse
08-03-2012, 10:24 PM
...I'm out of town and can't get FS Ohio...

RedEye
08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm sure there are. Just watched the event live, and there were plenty of bulbs flashing. He actually looks pretty good!

dougdirt
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=AB&Dato=20120803&Kategori=CINCI&Lopenr=120803015&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&MaxW=300&Border=0

DiamondRat
08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
He kinda looks like Joe Nuxhall in that picture.

RedEye
08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
He kinda looks like Joe Nuxhall in that picture.

So many hours spent together tend to turn two human beings similar.

HeatherC1212
08-03-2012, 11:20 PM
This had to happen on the ONE weekend that I'm not at home!! :( Hope I get to see the video of this when I get home tomorrow night or at some point this weekend. Good for you Marty! :)

fearofpopvol1
08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Wow, that was fast. Here is the whole shaving from FSN!

Marty Brennaman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL4Ro6AVXU&sns=fb)

GullyFoyle
08-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the video ... that's great. Great job Marty.

08-03-2012, 11:46 PM
He really doesn't look that different, probably because he didn't have that much to cut off to begin with. #1800rogaine

George Anderson
08-04-2012, 01:01 AM
He kind of looks like Captain Picard.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eW8U4JRXw-4/TfrM2eoCQuI/AAAAAAAACys/50HZM28z48k/s1600/captain-picard-full-ofjx1u.jpg

Raisor
08-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Good for Marty. Raisor didn't think he would do it.

Always Red
08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
He looks better; hope he sticks with the new look.

Big Klu
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
He looks better; hope he sticks with the new look.

That will depend on his new wife. If she likes it, then you better believe he will keep it.

RBA
08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
http://hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/don-rickles-09.jpg

cincrazy
08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I love the fact that not only did they raise $50,000 for the RCF, but that he took a moment to put some beautiful children going through an awful illness in the spotlight. Say what you will about Marty, chances are it's already been said, bu that was a truly class move all the way around this week.

mbgrayson
08-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Nice series of photos of the haircut/shaving HERE (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20120803&Kategori=SPT04&Lopenr=208030805&Ref=PH).

vaticanplum
08-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I love the fact that not only did they raise $50,000 for the RCF, but that he took a moment to put some beautiful children going through an awful illness in the spotlight. Say what you will about Marty, chances are it's already been said, bu that was a truly class move all the way around this week.

The RCF does not get enough lip service on this board. It's one of the most organized, well-funded, and active ones of its kind in baseball. Marty is quite involved with it too.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2012, 11:36 AM

The night was just perfect all around.

George Anderson
08-04-2012, 11:44 AM
The night was just perfect all around.

I was very proud to be a reds fan last night.

Now since i am going to the game tonight watch something bad and crazy happen.

traderumor
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I love the fact that not only did they raise $50,000 for the RCF, but that he took a moment to put some beautiful children going through an awful illness in the spotlight. Say what you will about Marty, chances are it's already been said, bu that was a truly class move all the way around this week.I agree wholeheartedly, that turned into about as classy a thing as it could have been. When he didn't have it done spontaneously, I thought it would be lame. But the ceremony was very well done. Phil Castellini, et al, just keep on hitting PR and marketing home runs.

Always Red
08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Marty did a very, very good thing:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?NoCache=1&Dato=20120804&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=308040031&Ref=AR

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120804&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=308040031&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Kids-group-soars-bald-man-s-kisses

pedro
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm usually pretty hard on Marty but that there's some HOF stuff. No doubt about it.

mth123
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM

Agreed completely. Kudos all around but to Marty especially.

pedro
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM
BTW, I think he looks great without the hair..

WMR
08-04-2012, 03:58 PM

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?NoCache=1&Dato=20120804&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=308040031&Ref=AR

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120804&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=308040031&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Kids-group-soars-bald-man-s-kisses

That picture is very sweet and also is just heartbreaking.

Helps me put my own problems in perspective.

RichRed
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm usually pretty hard on Marty but that there's some HOF stuff. No doubt about it.

Absolutely. What a great night to be a Reds fan.

vaticanplum
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
That picture is very sweet and also is just heartbreaking.

Helps me put my own problems in perspective.

The shirt is killing me.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I was very proud to be a reds fan last night.

Now since i am going to the game tonight watch something bad and crazy happen.

Well, they made it even with you in attendance. For some reason, I kind of a had a bad feeling all night. The Pirates hung in there and I was surprised at myself for not having more faith in the midst of a 22 of 25 run. That 9th stressed me out.

dougdirt
08-05-2012, 01:02 PM
On Reds Live they just said that Charlie Sheen is writing a check for $50,000 to the Reds Community Fund to match what was raised during the 'Marty shaving his head' week. Very awesome of him. WINNING

medford
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I must say, I was thinking the whole thing would be pretty high on the cheese factor, how could it not? But after watching it, I must say I was blown away, from the amount of money that they raised, to the mentioning of several charities, and last but not least the dragonfly charity nod. Well done all around, very well done.

CarolinaRedleg
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Man, if that won't make your eyes well up a little......

REDREAD
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm not Marty's biggest fan, but it was nicely done.

First the barber gave him a short hair cut before cutting it all.
It actually looked a lot better that way (as opposed to Marty's normal longish 70's style, which makes it seem like he's desperately clinging to his 20's/30's)

RedFanAlways1966
08-09-2012, 03:17 PM
From Alyson Footer (who grew up in Englewood, OH)

http://footer.mlblogs.com/

Hair’s the deal: in Cincinnati, fans dig a good Marty Party

If memory serves me, in the years after I graduated from the University of Cincinnati, I had several conversations with people from the Tri-State area about the city’s top sports figures.

It wasn’t so much about who were the best players. It was more about who, in the sports landscape, were the most revered. Who, if you will, “owned” the town?

Back then, in the early to mid-1990s, the Reds had both good years and terrible years, the Bengals were unspeakably awful, and with no NBA team to dump on and the only hockey in town being of a minor league variety, there wasn’t much going, sports-wise. At that time, the one team with the most national prominence was UC men’s basketball, a perennial high seed in the tournament and really, at the time, the toast of the town.

So, in my estimation, there were three sports figures in Cincinnati at that time that were revered in the eyes of the public. They were, in no particular order: UC men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins, Reds shortstop Barry Larkin and Reds radio announcer Marty Brennaman.

Back in the old days, it really didn’t matter if the Reds were good or bad (which was good, because some years were just really, really bad). Listening to Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall on the radio was just something you did. You listened in the car. You listened while hanging out at the pool. You listened when you were close to home and, thanks to 700 WLW’s ability to be picked up hundreds of miles from home, you could also listen during the long rides that inevitably accompanied any family vacation.

The broadcasts were never boring. Brennaman’s candid assessments and picture-perfect descriptions made even the snoozers interesting. He was, and continues to be, one of the only radio broadcasters in baseball who willingly will go against the establishment to criticize the team when warranted. His observations often infuriated star players, not to mention ownership (how many times did Marge Schott tried to rid herself of him?). It didn’t matter. Marty always prevailed, because he told it like he saw it, and in turn, he was radio gold for listeners. He was as untouchable as you can get without actually wearing the uniform.

Anyhoo, Marty became the Reds’ full-time announcer when I was not yet three years old, so, for the most part, he’s been calling Reds games my entire life. A few things haven’t changed in his 40-plus years of broadcasting: his booming voice, his popularity, and, well, his hair.

Marty has a lot of hair. He always has. I’m fairly certain it hasn’t always been white, but I have no memory of that, so I have to assume it changed color when he was still a relatively young man. Marty’s hair has always been a signature trait, which I guess is a funny thing to say about a guy who makes his living on the radio. But Marty didn’t hide behind the mic. For a radio guy, he was (and is) everywhere.

About a week ago, the surging Reds were attempting to extend a winning streak to an unthinkable 10 games, and Marty cast his doubts on the team’s ability to carry it out. A Reds coach asked him if he’d shave his head if the team won that night, and Marty said, “Sure.”

I’ll be honest, I never understood why sports-related streaks make so many normally well-reasoned folks want to suddenly challenge their friends to shave their heads. I’ve been in situations where some brazen so-and-so will propose some silly bet about where a team will finish in the standings, and invariably, it’s always the same proposed wager: “If I win, you have to shave your head.” It’s stupid. It irks me in the same way as watching four college-age men at a sports venue in say, San Diego, dancing around for the cameras with their shirts off. It’s a balmy 70 degrees and they’re — gasp! — shirtless? They must be really, really…cold?

Still, when I first heard about this proposed challenge, I pictured Marty and his iconic poofy white hair and tried to imagine what he might look like without it. I thought, this, I have to see.

The Reds won that night, and the focus temporarily shifted from Marty calling the game to Marty to paying up. To make sure this gesture had a point, a stipulation was added: If enough fans ponied up the cash to reach $20,000 for the Reds Community Fund and Joe Nuxhall Character Fund, the shaving would happen on the field, after the game, in front of the fans. If they didn’t raise the cash, the shaving would still go on — just in the privacy of the Reds clubhouse, away from the glare of Marty’s dome the public spotlight.

Reds fans didn’t raise 20 grand — they raised 50. Charlie Sheen, a long-time Reds fan whose dad, Martin, is originally from nearby Dayton, Ohio, added another $50,000. That’s 100 grand, all for charity, all to celebrate one very beloved local celebrity who transitioned from “poofy-haired fancy boy” to shiny-headed bald guy.

Marty always did own that town. Glad to see some things never change.

CySeymour
08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Marge tried to get rid of Marty?

westofyou
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Marge tried to get rid of Marty?

Late 80's Marty was pretty critical during a stretch and it became a big national story (stuff in TSN) can't recall exactly what was said and about whom, but the buzz was Marty was in trouble.

cincrazy
08-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Late 80's Marty was pretty critical during a stretch and it became a big national story (stuff in TSN) can't recall exactly what was said and about whom, but the buzz was Marty was in trouble.

I think I also recall a time in the mid to late 90s where they tried to get rid of Marty and Joe. Contract negotiations became pretty contentious and it seemed like they were goners because Reds ownership was tired of them. I don't remember the details, was probably a teen at the oldest, but I remember that very distinctly from my childhood. Maybe it wasn't as close to happening as I thought, but it was a possibility.

pedro
08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I think it's pretty clear by now that the Reds, like Samson, derived their power from hair. More specifically, Marty's hair.

Always Red
08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I think it's pretty clear by now that the Reds, like Samson, derived their power from hair. More specifically, Marty's hair.

..or it's Charlie Sheen's fault. One of the two, I can't decide whom is to blame for the 5 game skid. If the Reds give the 50k back to Charlie, and fit Marty with a wig, maybe they start to win again?

cumberlandreds
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM

I think it was Dick Wagner who brought in Steve Stewart (I think that was his name) to call games sometime in the mid 80's. I always thought this was done to try to force Marty out.

Boss-Hog
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I think it was Dick Wagner who brought in Steve Stewart (I think that was his name) to call games sometime in the mid 80's. I always thought this was done to try to force Marty out.

Steve Stewart was Joe's short-lived replacement.

George Anderson
08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
There was a third guy in the booth I think in the early 80's by the name of Dick Carlson. It lasted only a few months. It was not well received by the fans.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
There was a third guy in the booth I think in the early 80's by the name of Dick Carlson. It lasted only a few months. It was not well received by the fans.

This is the guy I was thining about,not Stewart.