PDA

View Full Version : When do we start believing in this team?

WrongVerb
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Simple question. When do we start believing this team is as good as they're playing now?

edabbs44
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
They aren't. No one is or ever will be.

We just need to be prepared for the inevitable downturn and understand it is all part of the game.

RedEye
08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
At this point, I believe they are good enough to at least advance to the NLCS. I think I'll be disappointed if they don't, actually. Is that what you mean?

dman
08-03-2012, 10:51 PM

We just need to be prepared for the inevitable downturn and understand it is all part of the game.

I'm inclined to believe that it's on some middle ground out there somewhere. There is no doubt this team is good. The pundits can carry on all they want about how the Reds were beating up on all the sub-par teams, but to go on a tear like they did, no matter the quality of their opponents takes a good team.

Plus, with all the hype about the N.L. East, the Reds have fared very well against these teams, save the Nationals. They swept 4 from Atlanta and 3 from the Mets, then they fared well on their west coast trip against San Fran, L.A., and San Diego.

Somewhere along the line, the ebbs and flows of the game will hit, but come October I believe we'll see the Reds as one of the National League teams playing post season baseball.

VR
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I believed they could compete before the year started.

I now strongly believe they can win the World Series.

/dustyball.

RedsManRick
08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Mid-October.

PuffyPig
08-03-2012, 11:05 PM

No one is or ever will be what? A team that plays about 60% baseball.

That make zero sense.

The Reds are a very good team.

Nuff said.

WMR
08-03-2012, 11:06 PM
When they win the World Series.

cumberlandreds
08-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Uh3QfXXjT_c

HeatherC1212
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I've believed in them this whole season (even when things were driving me nuts :laugh: ) but this winning string of games has been WAY COOL and so much fun. :jump:

Tom Servo
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Don't stop believing. Hold on to that feeling.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2012, 11:29 PM
They've made believers out of me. Of course, we will see the down times, because that's the way a baseball season goes, but these guys are amazing.

cumberlandreds
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Don't stop believing. Hold on to that feeling.

All right now I'll have that song in my head for the next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VcjzHMhBtf0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VcjzHMhBtf0)

WMR
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
All right now I'll have that song in my head for the next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VcjzHMhBtf0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VcjzHMhBtf0)

Forever synonymous with the let-down of the Sopranos finale for me, sadly.

reds44
08-04-2012, 12:29 AM
I'll be convinced they can make a run when the top of the order stops sucking. Cozart playing as well as he did in his first real "big game" tonight helped a lot.

RedlegJake
08-04-2012, 01:36 AM

I don't get it either. I understand the second part, of course. But they are playing without there best hitter. Last night without their three best position players and won. Why couldn't they be this good? Well not the win pct they've had since the AS break. Is that what you meant? Now I get it.

edabbs44
08-04-2012, 06:41 AM
No one is or ever will be what? A team that plays about 60% baseball.

That make zero sense.

The Reds are a very good team.

Nuff said.

Simple question. When do we start believing this team is as good as they're playing now?

Scrap Irony
08-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I'll be convinced they can make a run when the top of the order stops sucking.

I'd argue their "run" so far has been the best in baseball.

Do they have problems? Sure. But don't we all?

cincrazy
08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I'll be convinced they can make a run when the top of the order stops sucking. Cozart playing as well as he did in his first real "big game" tonight helped a lot.

The Nationals, Giants, Dodgers, Pirates etc all have problems of their own. It's silly to pretend we're not an elite team in the NL solely because of the top of the lineup problems. Yes, it's a concern and something we need to improve. But I think we have the capability of doing that. Stubbs has been much better lately, and hopefully if BP ever gets to full health, he's hitting leadoff with Luddy cleanup, and Cozart gets moved down.

edabbs44
08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
The Nationals, Giants, Dodgers, Pirates etc all have problems of their own. It's silly to pretend we're not an elite team in the NL solely because of the top of the lineup problems. Yes, it's a concern and something we need to improve. But I think we have the capability of doing that. Stubbs has been much better lately, and hopefully if BP ever gets to full health, he's hitting leadoff with Luddy cleanup, and Cozart gets moved down.

Agreed and I started a thread a week or two ago with the same thought process. For example, the Nats had Espinosa and Lombardozzi hitting 1-2 last night. We should be comparing the Reds team and construct to reality and not someone's idealistic view of what a perfect team looks like.

Big Klu
08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I'd argue their "run" so far has been the best in baseball.

Do they have problems? Sure. But don't we all?

I got 99 problems...

sonny
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM
For a TEAM to do what they've done, that is to make this incredible run without the league's best player, a small bench, a plethora of rookies and a manager who still wears wristbands...

They got me believing.

RedEye
08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
For a TEAM to do what they've done, that is to make this incredible run without the league's best player, a small bench, a plethora of rookies and a manager who still wears wristbands...

They got me believing.

Did you say they have a plethora of rookies?

Three Amigos-What Is A Plethora? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik)

sonny
08-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Did you say they have a plethora of rookies?

Three Amigos-What Is A Plethora? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik)

Oh yes, El Guapo.

mth123
08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I've believed all along with a pre-seaon prediction of 92 wins. Its why I want them to get that lefty bat. Those marginal gains mean more when a team has a chance than it does when they are an 80 win team. I don't think they are sitting back satisfied due to a hot streak. I'm glad they aren't and still hope for a Kotsay and a LH option in CF.

DGullett35
08-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I got 99 problems...

but the Reds aint one.

Im a believer and really have thought this team had a chance once we took over first which seemed like a year ago. I think it was in May??

KoryMac5
08-04-2012, 06:13 PM
If the best record in baseball doesn't do it for you not much will. Love this team, almost as much as the 90 team. If I remember correctly it took folks a lil bit to get totally on board in 90, everyone kept waiting for the wheels to come off, never happened. This team will be tough to beat, if we can get to the 7th with the lead it's over.

CrackerJack
08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Saddle-up, we're in for a memorable ride the next 3 months. This isn't the 2010 team.

WildcatFan
08-05-2012, 01:39 AM
I believe.

Was SO hoping that was a link to a Blessid Union of Souls video.

George Anderson
08-05-2012, 02:01 AM
I am not one to get all starry eyed and over estimate what I think a team will do based on what they have done at a certain point in the season because it is a very long season and anything can happen. However leaving the game tonight and walking down the stairs at the stadium I pretty much convinced myself this team very well could win the WS this year. It has been a very long time since I have felt that way but the Reds just beat one of the best teams in the NL with one of their lesser starters on the mound and arguably their 2 best position players not in the lineup.

Damn this is fun!!!

dman
08-05-2012, 06:23 AM
I am not one to get all starry eyed and over estimate what I think a team will do based on what they have done at a certain point in the season because it is a very long season and anything can happen. However leaving the game tonight and walking down the stairs at the stadium I pretty much convinced myself this team very well could win the WS this year. It has been a very long time since I have felt that way but the Reds just beat one of the best teams in the NL with one of their lesser starters on the mound and arguably their 2 best position players not in the lineup.

Damn this is fun!!!

George, I thought the exact same thing after Aroldis got the strikeout to end the game last night. This season and this team is downright fun. After the win, I flipped the channel to ESPN to see what BBTN was saying, if anything, about the Reds. Rick Sutcliffe seems to be a doubter, but Aaron Boone still has a lot of faith in his former team.

Raisor
08-05-2012, 07:02 AM
After the win, I flipped the channel to ESPN to see what BBTN was saying, if anything, about the Reds. Rick Sutcliffe seems to be a doubter, but Aaron Boone still has a lot of faith in his former team.

To be fair to Sutcliffe, he's an idiot.

The Operator
08-05-2012, 07:32 AM
To be fair to Sutcliffe, he's an idiot.You've done it again, Raisor. This post is worthy of a second Nobel Prize.

hebroncougar
08-05-2012, 08:00 AM
George, I thought the exact same thing after Aroldis got the strikeout to end the game last night. This season and this team is downright fun. After the win, I flipped the channel to ESPN to see what BBTN was saying, if anything, about the Reds. Rick Sutcliffe seems to be a doubter, but Aaron Boone still has a lot of faith in his former team.

Sutcliffe is a former Cub. So he doesn't count. Wasn't he drunk on air last year?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Raisor
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
You've done it again, Raisor. This post is worthy of a second Nobel Prize.

Raisor would have you look at his wiki page to see that he has earned 68 nobel
Prizes already. The second one was for inventing the runs created formula.

traderumor
08-05-2012, 08:24 AM
George, I thought the exact same thing after Aroldis got the strikeout to end the game last night. This season and this team is downright fun. After the win, I flipped the channel to ESPN to see what BBTN was saying, if anything, about the Reds. Rick Sutcliffe seems to be a doubter, but Aaron Boone still has a lot of faith in his former team.What exactly is he doubting? That they won't be able to keep on this pace? True. But that they are a legitimate candidate for the playoffs? That they aren't a serious contender to make noise in the playoffs?

Raisor
08-05-2012, 08:38 AM
What exactly is he doubting? That they won't be able to keep on this pace? True.

Depends on what you mean "on this pace".

If it's the 22-3 run, then probably not. Raisor is betting that they may lose a 4th game in the next month or two.

If it's being on pace for 100 wins, then Raisor thinks they just might.

traderumor
08-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Depends on what you mean "on this pace".

If it's the 22-3 run, then probably not. Raisor is betting that they may lose a 4th game in the next month or two.

If it's being on pace for 100 wins, then Raisor thinks they just might.Yea, I meant the 22-3 run.

Johnny Footstool
08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I believe.

Me, too.

Cincinnati Reds featuring The Hotcakes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExYcZduRk1o)

M2
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I started believing back in December. The Reds are constructed for the long haul of 162 games. And by that I mean the team is capable of winning when it's not firing on all cylinders. The Reds can have their internal ups and downs and still beat the competition more often than not.

Raisor
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
The Reds have to go 34-20 the rest of the way to win 100 games. Very doable, imo

Tony Cloninger
08-06-2012, 01:59 PM
What about Kruk? He was asked by Ravitch.....if it's not the cards, who do you have coming from that division (This was back in late May)

Kruk said the Brewers. Then they did a little monologue in between the commercials....which is so comical, like they are trying to pretend you are a privy to some important, in house conversation. Ding Dong BBTN show is dead to me. Kruk jumped the shark about 1 year in to his stay there.

Tom Servo
08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
What about Kruk? He was asked by Ravitch.....if it's not the cards, who do you have coming from that division (This was back in late May)

Kruk said the Brewers. Then they did a little monologue in between the commercials....which is so comical, like they are trying to pretend you are a privy to some important, in house conversation. Ding Dong BBTN show is dead to me. Kruk jumped the shark about 1 year in to his stay there.
I remember in 2006 Kruk picked the Pirates. It's all just mindless banter.

RichRed
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM

To be fair to Kruk, he's an idiot.

(Hat tip: Raisor.)