PDA

View Full Version : If you could tell the Reds one thing

drowg14
08-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I was listening to a podcast recently, I want to say it was Up and In, but I don't 100% recall. Anyway, they asked a question on there, if you could go back to 1975, and tell MLB one thing, what would it be.

I wanted to ask the same question, with a Reds spin.

If you could go back, and tell the Reds one thing, anytime since the end of the 1999 season, what would it be?

I'll get it started. Draft Mike Trout.

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I was listening to a podcast recently, I want to say it was Up and In, but I don't 100% recall. Anyway, they asked a question on there, if you could go back to 1975, and tell MLB one thing, what would it be.

I wanted to ask the same question, with a Reds spin.

If you could go back, and tell the Reds one thing, anytime since the end of the 1999 season, what would it be?

I'll get it started. Draft Mike Trout.

That was a good one!

BurgervilleBuck
08-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd say, don't change a thing because by 2010, you'll have a world class organization looking to dominate MLB.

smixsell
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd say, don't change a thing because by 2010, you'll have a world class organization looking to dominate MLB.

I like that one. :)

5TimeWSChamps
08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
24 other teams passed on Trout also.

Insane

drowg14
08-04-2012, 01:37 PM
24 other teams passed on Trout also.

Insane

Yea, apparently scouts in MLB took the year off :laugh:

BluegrassRedleg
08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
2006 Draft: Tim Lincecum over Drew Stubbs

Doug4500
08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
2000: Offer the Cardinals Ken Griffey Jr for some minor leaguer named Albert Pujols straight up.

BluegrassRedleg
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Looking some of these "What if" draft scenarios was fun and revealing. Not to hijack the original purpose of the topic, but look at what the Reds have done with their first picks since 2004:

Homer Bailey
Jay Bruce
Drew Stubbs
Devin Mesoraco
Yonder Alonso
Mike Leake
Yasmani Grandal
Robert Stephenson

All of 'em in the bigs and contributing with the exception of Stephenson, who was just drafted and is already on the fast track.

Now look at the previous years before those...

Ty Howington
David Espinosa
Jeremy Sowers
Chris Gruler
Ryan Wagner

Good grief, that's some epic fail with No. 1 picks.

Those were even bigger duds when you look at some of the players who went after them -- Adam Wainwright, David Wright, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Adam Jones, Chad Billlingsley, etc.

Kudos to the current scouts and management for building a winner.

drowg14
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Looking some of these "What if" draft scenarios was fun and revealing. Not to hijack the original purpose of the topic, but look at what the Reds have done with their first picks since 2004:

Homer Bailey
Jay Bruce
Drew Stubbs
Devin Mesoraco
Yonder Alonso
Mike Leake
Yasmani Grandal
Robert Stephenson

All of 'em in the bigs and contributing with the exception of Stephenson, who was just drafted and is already on the fast track.

Now look at the previous years before those...

Ty Howington
David Espinosa
Jeremy Sowers
Chris Gruler
Ryan Wagner

Good grief, that's some epic fail with No. 1 picks.

Those were even bigger duds when you look at some of the players who went after them -- Adam Wainwright, David Wright, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Adam Jones, Chad Billlingsley, etc.

Kudos to the current scouts and management for building a winner.

I will agree with all of this. The scouting team has gotten better at recognizing talent. And the minor league system has gotten better at developing it. If only the Reds would have recognized Trout :laugh: (Not that I dislike Leake)