PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about Oswalt?

cincrazy
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Now, this isn't me advocating for this move. I'm not saying it would work. I realize how dreadful Oswalt was in Texas before getting demoted to the bullpen.

But he's unhappy. And maybe moving from the AL to the NL would give him a boost. Enough to be an effective pitcher? Who knows. But clearly Walt is looking for another arm.

I remember late in his career, John Smoltz was awful in Boston, let go, and it looked like he was done. But he signed with St. Louis and pitched great the last few months of the season. Could we get that out of Oswalt? Could we save some innings on Leake's arm, and slot Oswalt in his spot?

This probably isn't an option Walt's considering. But it will be interesting to see if anyone picks Oswalt up if the Rangers let him go.

membengal
08-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Bad. I would feel bad.

reds1869
08-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Tom Servo
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd be open to the idea. I am a bit disappointed to hear that Oswalt is complaining about being removed from the rotation in Texas, you'd think an old vet knows that he has to get it done or his job is in danger.

Always Red
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I would like for the Cards to have him. :)

hebroncougar
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I'd be open to the idea. I am a bit disappointed to hear that Oswalt is complaining about being removed from the rotation in Texas, you'd think an old vet knows that he has to get it done or his job is in danger.

Nah, he wants his release, a check, and then go home.

jojo
08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I dunno, he always seemed like a happy sort of fellow to me...

http://j.static-locatetv.com/images/content/mid/4/164061_oswald.jpg

Vottomatic
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oswalro01.shtml

He's been really bad. Gave up 7 HR's in 36 IP.

Edd Roush
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
His peripherals other than HR rate aren't that bad. If you normalize that HR rate, you could see that he is still a very useful pitcher. If one of our starters went down, I would take Oswalt over Redmond/LeCure/Villareal.

Vottomatic
08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I disagree. His H/9 is ridiculously bad. His WHIP is horrendous.

Edd Roush
08-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Yes, his H/9 is bad. That is because his BABIP is .405 vs. his career mark of .299. His HR/9 in 2012 is 16.7% vs his career mark of 9.0%. Do you expect either of those stats to persist through the rest of the season to keep his H/9 or WHIP to stay so high?

Vottomatic
08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I haven't seen him pitch this year. Obviously the Rangers have and demoted him out of the starting pitching lineup.

I always liked Oswalt. But maybe he should have signed earlier, gone to Spring Training like 99% of the other major leaguers to get his game on, instead of sitting out several months and trying to get it together in the middle of the season. I think he made a mistake, and is embarrassing himself because of it. Sure, he got paid.......but that makes him look even worse in my opinion.

If the Rangers want to pay his salary, I'd take a flyer on him with a short leash.

Edd Roush
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm not even saying Oswalt should have a spot in the rotation over any of our starting 5. I am just saying he should not be judged on a 6.14 ERA or a 1.69 WHIP. The Ks are still there and the walks have been better than he has been for his career. He has just been hit and home run unlucky. 36 IP do not change my opinion of him.

traderumor
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
In the wider picture, the Rangers are scuffling on the mound. Matt Harrison is now their only reliable, healthy starter. They desperately need Dempster to pitch as he did for the Cubs and probably at least two more guys to step forward just to make the playoffs. They have a tough road ahead for a team that looked so talented for most of the first half of the season.

08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, his H/9 is bad. That is because his BABIP is .405 vs. his career mark of .299. His HR/9 in 2012 is 16.7% vs his career mark of 9.0%. Do you expect either of those stats to persist through the rest of the season to keep his H/9 or WHIP to stay so high?

I do. He ain't going anywhere near his career stats in anything anymore.

nate
08-05-2012, 08:06 PM

I disagree that 36.2 IP worth of H/9 (and therefore, WHIP) are more useful in predicting future performance than the last couple years of peripherals and hit rates.

He's probably not "the" Roy Oswalt but he would probably be average-ish and good "depth."

08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I disagree that 36.2 IP worth of H/9 (and therefore, WHIP) are more useful in predicting future performance than the last couple years of peripherals and hit rates.

He's probably not "the" Roy Oswalt but he would probably be average-ish and good "depth."

Factor in age and his back injury, and I'm putting less emphasis on his past performance.

nate
08-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Factor in age and his back injury, and I'm putting less emphasis on his past performance.

That's why I think he would likely be "average-ish" instead of "Roy Oswalt."

WVRedsFan
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Watched him limp off the field the other night. Looked like e had a bad back. No thanks.

George Foster
08-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Roy is all about Roy...bad for team chemistry.

REDREAD
08-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Watched him limp off the field the other night. Looked like e had a bad back. No thanks.

Yep, that's what would scare me too.
I think he had back problems last year too.. I don't remember him doing anything to address that (although maybe he did).
Seems like he was out to get one more big payday.. I'm glad the Reds didn't roll the dice on him.

Even if Oswalt were nearly free, not sure it would be worth picking him up. I think he's finished.

DGullett35
08-06-2012, 05:50 AM
His first start back with Texas was really good. I dunno what has happened since then. I do agree though with George in that Roy is all about Roy and it would be bad for this team since we have such great chemistry and Im a big believer in team chemistry.

GoReds
08-06-2012, 09:02 AM
"Manager Ron Washington was ready to send Oswalt back out for the ninth inning of what was then a tie game, but Oswalt declined. Washington, who was operating down two relievers (Mike Adams and Alexi Ogando) and trying to protect a third (Tanner Scheppers) didn’t push the issue. It was the third time Oswalt had pitched in a seven-day span. By the end of his second inning, he’d pitched 9.1 innings in that stretch and thrown 150 pitches.

“He said he couldn’t go any further,” Washington said. “He said he had enough. To get anymore, you have to ask him.”

Pretty happy we didn't pursue Roy, although he has been one of my favorite rival pitchers in the past.

traderumor
08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm not so sure that the Clemens approach is something that is a good idea. It has worked out ok for the Yankees in the Pettite case though. It just seems like these cases are more about squeezing out another few million and to say "I did it my way." Blech.